• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Just letting you guys know that I have nearly finished putting Guard together and that my Reaper's prequel isn't going to be far behind.

If you have any questions or anything feel free to drop me a VM/PM.

@Chuckles - An RP with Mecha? That's something I'm yet to see. I might look into it once you have it posted.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Chuckleslucifer: Eeeh... I mean I probably wouldn't touch any Pokemon RP that made shooting people or pokemon with guns a thing. It doesn't really make sense for them to exist when you consider that they're vastly outperformed by Pokemon themselves. Even if guns did outperform pokemon that would kind of undermine the premise of the series. That would probably bother me nonstop in the back of my head, kind of like that one time Bobba Fett ruined Star Wars for me.

@Everyone: Y'know, back when I had just adopted PTA and was trying to figure out how the plot was supposed to work there was one major, relevant question I had to ask myself.

Why was Oak trying to train an army?

To take on another army, of course. Perhaps I'll be borrowing a few ideas from X and Y for that.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
@Chuckleslucifer: Eeeh... I mean I probably wouldn't touch any Pokemon RP that made shooting people or pokemon with guns a thing. It doesn't really make sense for them to exist when you consider that they're vastly outperformed by Pokemon themselves. Even if guns did outperform pokemon that would kind of undermine the premise of the series. That would probably bother me nonstop in the back of my head, kind of like that one time Bobba Fett ruined Star Wars for me.
It's implied in the generation killing war that pokemon were used, and some theorists suggest that many pokemon went extinct because of this war, sparking the theory that RSE/DPP...and BW/BW2 (if you don't count the PWT as canon) take place before RBY/GSC.

Though I doubt people wouldn't use guns, because regardless of what you think about guns harming pokemon, guns still hurt people. It's not unlikely that those in battle used firearms and other weapons as well as commanded pokemon. That's assuming that guns exist in the pokemon game universe. In fact, exploring this further, it's very likely that weapons, armor, and various other technologies were created as a result of the war to make humans more efficient and resistant against pokemon, as well as to make pokemon more efficient in battle. There really is a lot that could be done creatively in the context of the war.

Dawn

Years
(if you don't count the PWT as canon)
Eeeh... I'm not sure I really buy entirely ignoring the PWTs existence.

Though I doubt people wouldn't use guns, because regardless of what you think about guns harming pokemon, guns still hurt people. It's not unlikely that those in battle used firearms and other weapons as well as commanded pokemon. That's assuming that guns exist in the pokemon game universe. In fact, exploring this further, it's very likely that weapons, armor, and various other technologies were created as a result of the war to make humans more efficient and resistant against pokemon, as well as to make pokemon more efficient in battle. There really is a lot that could be done creatively in the context of the war.

You can't just shoot a person being protected by a pokemon. Their pokemon protects them and you're forced to deal with the pokemon. Even if you could, that is still a job accomplished much better and more reliably by a pokemon. Why would humanity spend all that time perfecting a complicated tool like a gun when they are -completely- outdone in every imaginable way by pokemon? Before they'd even be able to get to semi automatic rifles that aren't really useful they'd have to evolve their technology past muskets and stuff that are even less useful.

Y'know what makes a lot more sense? Explosives. You can make traps with explosives and they don't require much advanced technology. They also have other uses outside of getting people hurt. Even a knife makes more sense than guns because you can use it for -other things-.

As for armor... Yeah, I could see people using armor in the pokemon universe, but not traditional armor like in real life. That just wouldn't make a difference without some fictional supermetal being introduced. What I could see is armor to protect people from environmental hazards. Like, masks designed to keep wayward spores out of your nose/mouth and waterproof clothes because being soaked by splattering water can only make things worse. Things like that.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Eeeh... I'm not sure I really buy entirely ignoring the PWTs existence.
Not its existence, its canonicity. It still exists, but whether the PWT with participants such as the protagonist (being the champion), Red, Giovanni, etc participating isn't necessarily canon. Quite a few number of fans are still debating this, though nothing official's been said.

You can't just shoot a person being protected by a pokemon. Their pokemon protects them and you're forced to deal with the pokemon. Even if you could, that is still a job accomplished much better and more reliably by a pokemon. Why would humanity spend all that time perfecting a complicated tool like a gun when they are -completely- outdone in every imaginable way by pokemon? Before they'd even be able to get to semi automatic rifles that aren't really useful they'd have to evolve their technology past muskets and stuff that are even less useful.
Because humans need things to protect themselves if they don't have pokemon on them. In the games, most trainers that are out and about only have 1-3 pokemon, save for Ace Trainers and the protagonists (so basically, anyone going for the Pokemon League). There's a very real chance that a trainer's pokemon will be fainted and they won't be near a pokemon center.

In the context of war...just shoot the person. A person riding on a charizard is basically the same as a person riding on a mount in any other setting, and they can still be shot. Pokemon aren't wearable weapons or armor after all, the humans won't be invulnerable simply because they have pokemon with them. Commanding pokemon might not always be the most practical course of action in various cases, especially one is going for covert or instantaneous tactics. It's unlikely that they would start in the primitive stages of firearms that we did because they already have other pieces of technology, and even pokemon attacks, that could be used as models that may reflect or even transcend our modern firearms.

Y'know what makes a lot more sense? Explosives. You can make traps with explosives and they don't require much advanced technology. They also have other uses outside of getting people hurt. Even a knife makes more sense than guns because you can use it for -other things-.
Mmm...I dunno. Explosives would be viable, but that's assuming the one arming the bomb has both the field advantage and time to arm one. If we're talking grenades, they could carry them, but they're not as reliable, nor as easy to use, as guns. They could carry knives, but we'll simply go back to what you were saying before: the humans would be protected by pokemon. Hitting a person with a grenade or a knife while they are riding on a blitzle, possibly armed themselves, is MUCH harder than simply shooting those same people. Plus, you could have grenades, knives, AND guns. In fact, that seems like the most practical courses of action. Not only would being armed with those weapons be relatively lightweight, but it would also be incredibly handy in combat.

As for armor... Yeah, I could see people using armor in the pokemon universe, but not traditional armor like in real life. That just wouldn't make a difference without some fictional supermetal being introduced. What I could see is armor to protect people from environmental hazards. Like, masks designed to keep wayward spores out of your nose/mouth and waterproof clothes because being soaked by splattering water can only make things worse. Things like that.
Humans are not only tacticians but also soldiers. They have available materials for making stronger armor, and that's pokemon, they're skin, they're steel, and their other various body parts. Sure, those environmental hazard prevention apparatus could be worn by people, but they should be worn under their armor. After all, the generation killing war was a generation killing war because the adverse effect it had on young-middle aged men was devastating. They no doubt fought on the front lines as well, and thus, it was very likely that they had armor strong enough to withstand the strength of various pokemon attacks which, considering the materials they had at hand and the rate at which technology is developed in the pokemon universe, they very likely did.

Same for firearms, really. They most likely made firearms, probably using various projectile pokemon moves as a model, and made them efficient enough to be effective against pokemon.

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
1. I highly doubt the validity of the theory that gen 1+2 came after RSE and DPPt and BW(2) for various reasons. The only one that seems plausible is RSE coming before, but then after that you have to make too many exceptions for it to fit. Cameos and other references are also present linking each gen to the other gens making a sort of web to hold the current canon timeline. Also, by doing that sort of thing with the aforementioned games you would also need to include XY in the prequel list (where Oak's grandson is studying abroad, implying that he is probably older then 10 by then), otherwise you end up placing things on the timeline solely at your convenience, further complicating things. In general, I find it hard to back up.

2. I agree with machomuu in that guns would definitely have been a thing. Few pokemon besides steel types, some rock types, and a particularly strong select others seem like they would be bulletproof. I imagine that pokemon (which would be of a specific few chosen species that would be mass-bred) would be given to soldiers as weapons or fellow soldiers as opposed to the soldiers bringing their beloved pokemon from home, and as such, each soldier would only have 1 or 2 pokemon, 3 max. The distribution would probably depend on rank. When a soldier's pokemon are defeated mid-assault, they can't just run back to a pokemon center. They'd need to be able to both defend themselves and continue the fight. A gun seems like it would be an ideal choice.

3. About armor, there's these.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
1. I highly doubt the validity of the theory that gen 1+2 came after RSE and DPPt and BW(2) for various reasons. The only one that seems plausible is RSE coming before, but then after that you have to make too many exceptions for it to fit. Cameos and other references are also present linking each gen to the other gens making a sort of web to hold the current canon timeline. Also, by doing that sort of thing with the aforementioned games you would also need to include XY in the prequel list (where Oak's grandson is studying abroad, implying that he is probably older then 10 by then), otherwise you end up placing things on the timeline solely at your convenience, further complicating things. In general, I find it hard to back up.
Oh, no doubt. This theory was created back in the days of DPP (well, possibly RSE), and over time it does become harder to debate. Going forward in the most recent games, GF has been pushing to make the world feel more like, well, a world. Kalos takes this to extremes, with numerous references and even original descriptive statements about the other regions (and other games). However, it could still work, since the generation killing war isn't dependent on the whole "RBGY/GSC came first" theory.

Dawn

Years
Because humans need things to protect themselves if they don't have pokemon on them.

Guns don't solve this problem because pokemon still do the job infinitely better. A hand with a gun in it is a wasted hand that could've been holding a pokeball. A gun alone will save you from a pokemon approximately 0% of the time. More to the point when you introduce guns that are magically powerful enough to disregard pokemon's superpowers you're forcing pokemon to step aside out of the spotlight and that undermines the entire premise of the series.

That means that if I go searching for a pokemon roleplay or even pokemon fanfiction and see -that- it's not going to feel like Pokemon to me. I would be disappointed and there's a good chance I'd be turned away. When you use Pokemon as your setting and then betray the basic premise that's not what I'd consider a good thing.

And I mean really--There are pokemon with SUPER guns for arms. Why not just use them?

Dawn

Years
@Geras32: Even the anime is pretty consistent in that looks are not a good judge of power with pokemon.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Personally, I would love to see a Monster Hunter RP pulled off. It's my favorite popular-but-somehow-unheard-of series, and with a dedicated GM plus some creative RPers, it would soar. SO much sandbox, SO much opportunity.

I'm not sure whether I love you or hate you for giving me an idea for a Pokémon/Monster Hunter crossover roleplay. The emotional confliction is almost overwhelming.

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Regarding the gun argument, there isn't any strong evidence that guns would or wouldn't be able to kill a pokemon (asides from certain examples, like steel types where it would be a little silly for them not to be able to deflect a bullet or in an opposing case a sentret being able to take a bullet seems equally if not more silly) so ultimately it would just depend on how a GM decides they want the roleplay to work.

I personally don't see problems with guns being able to kill more fleshy pokemon, like a charizard or raichu or something. There would be benefits to using guns compared to pokemon which would make it reasonable for people to develop such weapons. One example is that people won't have to rely on a secondary organism as their means of protection. In a case where that thing isn't available, a gun would be an optimal defense since they're easy to carry around and aren't the most complicated thing to use. A second benefit of using a gun is that there isn't the 'wind-up time' that comes with commanding a pokemon, you don't have to release it from it's pokemon nor give it a gun, with just a flick of a finger you get your intentions done. I'm sure more reasons could be pulled up, but I don't think it is too unreasonable to see guns in the pokemon world.

One problems that I sometimes face when writing in pokemon roleplays is having character be independent from their pokemon when it comes to defense or even just aggressive notions in general. At least with guns the character's themselves have some sense of power to them without their pokemon, which can be useful for creating intimidating figures. There are plenty of ways around this of course and in pokemon roleplays in general this isn't an issue, but I would still like to see a scenario where this is expressed.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Why would you make me crawl out of mah RP-cave? It's so comfy! D':

But since I'm developing a new RP and I'm not that good with BB code...

When looking over new RPs, is CSS/BB coding/general appearance have to do with your choice? Or are you solely dependent on the plot or concepts of it?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Took a while, but the library is finally updated again... there were junk there all the way from July, how could I have missed that O.o

<3

When looking over new RPs, is CSS/BB coding/general appearance have to do with your choice? Or are you solely dependent on the plot or concepts of it?

Whilst not essential I think the appearance of a thread is important. For example, I hate blocks of text where everything kind of merges in to one long paragraph.

I like section titles to be bold or underline or maybe a slightly larger font. I like images, to break up long chunks of text, and overall not too much detail, which some people do tend to do.

Some people use spoilers, but IMO spoilers should only be used to hide extra information that isn't needed at first glance. For example, a map image or descriptions of towns.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
It's both, but more plot and stuff of course. A well written, non-cssy first post in a RP is totally better than a post with overdone, badly colored css-bombs, imo :3

And I really don't like spoilers for other stuff than large images. Make the text look interesting by the way you type instead!

Common BB-code really should be used though. At least bold text for important mentions or for titles on parts of the text or such.

Years
I'll throw in an agreement with what's been said above me. Pretty CSS is nice if you do it well but it isn't in any way a deciding factor in whether or not I'm interested in the RP.

Basic formatting however (Paragraph spacing and making section titles distinguishable.) is a must. Not having CSS might just mean you don't know CSS which has no bearing on your ability to write or GM a roleplay. Not bothering to spend a minute or so formatting your post is lazy and that gets me worried from the get-go when I see it in a first post.

In regards to the guns argument I feel that guns would be pretty effective in the pokemon universe. Pokemon are tough but the majority of them are flesh and bone, a big enough gun would probably be able to take down anything and if anything the presence of pokemon would have increased the development of guns through necessity rather than made it useless imo.

But then again I'm biased since I still have my little rp idea with Team Rocket acting like the actual Mafia simmering away for a time when I have the time to attempt to run it and you can't have the Mafia without tommy guns >_>

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
Hey followed RPers! Some of you may remember me, but if not, I had once been a pretty active RPer here. Unfortunately, I was kinda out of commission for a while.

However, I'm back (hopefully for good) and ready to roll. Just thought I give y'all a heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back