• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If Ash had no travelling partners..

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    So, say Ash was just like every other trainer- no companions on his journey besides his Pokemon, relying only on himself and no one else to survive. How do you guys think he would fare?

I think he would have died in Kanto xD I mean, Brock was like his housewife- cleaned, raised, and battled! I need me a wife like that;) Anyways, back on track, I think the show would probably be more empty and quiet too, they are called a supporting cast for a reason. I think he might also be inclined to make more bad decisions only relying on himself, without anyone else to suggest differently. Or for all we know, he could be a better trainer in solitude.

So, what do you guys think?

Years
  • It's hard to say, because we then have to ask ourselves if Ash is foolish irreversibly by nature or because his friends are a crutch that he can't do without. Personally I think he would have packed up and went home somewhere between Cerulean and Vermilion city. There isn't much of a reason for him to die considering the level of support he received from random people throughout the series, but I think his spirit would have broken and he would have returned home, spending the rest of his days as Professor Oak's intern at best.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If we go by the first episode, yeah, he most likely would have died. His first day was a huge disaster (in fact, pretty much the only reason why he's not a drowned corpse is because of Misty fishing him out), and it's not very likely he knew how to cook or do basic survival skills, so even if he did somehow manage to avoid drowning he probably would have died in Viridian Forest.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    Then the travel were boring. .__.
    I mean travel alone around the world?? D:

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
    Years
  • Ash always relied on others, but I think he would take good care of himself. Besides that, after Pikachu and Ash became close, Pikachu would always help Ash if he would be attacked. And the Pokemon center has enough food I guess. But it would be really boring for him. And I think he wouldn't be so good then. Brock helped Ash many times when he didn't understood something.

Sorry for bad English lol.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    From a viewer's perspective, certain things would have gotten stale rather quick, if I were to make an assumption.

Since it's a journey, they would likely have to show Ash travelling place to place; otherwise, it would be confusing to see him go from one location to another episode-by-episode, I would imagine, especially for their younger audience. Throughout his journey, he would need somebody to speak with so that there is no silence--we always if something going on to see. I suppose this could be done with his Pokémon if he weren't having any of his friends accompanying himself, but most of us probably would not find that to be too interesting, as they're not able to talk back (aside from a few legendaries and Team Rocket's Meowth, but Ash doesn't seem to own any of them, per se).

If I were in the anime world going through my own journey, I know it would definitely feel lonely and whatnot to not have anybody with me alongside; logically, same would apply to Ash. This generally adds more realism and makes things easier for us to relate, in a way, if we think about it!

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • If ash travel with no companions :( travelling alone and he dont know basic survival skills(Cooking, and somewhat fishing).He would probably come near to death and he dont even know how to catch a Pokemon when the anime started(Somewhat Misty taught him how to catch a pokemon) and he also take sometimes wrong decisions.So he wont be able to become a good trainer and The Anime would get boring.

Years
  • He'd be a sucker. I mean, how the heck would he go through everything without his companions help?!
    (On the other hand, some just caused him extra problems...)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    In my opinion, if Ash didn't have anyone with him then I really don't think the show would have lasted. I get that he could potentially have more moments with Pokémon, and he'd still be meeting trainers and such in episodes. But, Ash played well off of Brock and Misty first and foremost and he'd never have survived half the stuff he has in Kanto without them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    In my opinion, if Ash didn't have anyone with him then I really don't think the show would have lasted. I get that he could potentially have more moments with Pokémon, and he'd still be meeting trainers and such in episodes. But, Ash played well off of Brock and Misty first and foremost and he'd never have survived half the stuff he has in Kanto without them.

Yeah, agreed. If the first episode is of any indication, most likely he would have died on his first day, end up as another body in the river so to speak (assuming of course his corpse didn't end up eaten by a Gyarados in the river) had it not been for Misty fishing him out by accident. He definitely wouldn't have survived if it weren't for Brock and ESPECIALLY Misty.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    I also think about that scenario manytimes. How about having 2 or 3 Mastermimes with Ash ? They can be very useful. They will do cooking, cleaning and everything. Ash will only focus on training.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2015
    I see it being dull. I don't think any show could survive with only one person meeting others but not having friends with them. I guess Origins did it in a way and that was pretty bland. I would rather have friends who don't do anything but support the hero (digimon fusion) Than just a hero.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2015
    It would suck, he would have get owned, and all his Pokemon would be long gone due to Team Rocket.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • I think If ash had no partners we would all not have to put up with misty. I mean seriously she was the worst

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think If ash had no partners we would all not have to put up with misty. I mean seriously she was the worst

You do realize that were it not for Misty, he'd be a body in the river with Pikachu and thus the anime would end before it could even begin, right?

Either way, I think how he handled the first episode made clear he definitely wouldn't be able to handle travelling by himself well.

Last edited:

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • You do realize that were it not for Misty, he'd be a body in the river with Pikachu and thus the anime would end before it could even begin, right?

Either way, I think how he handled the first episode made clear he definitely wouldn't be able to handle travelling by himself well.

She was still the worst pokegirl

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    She was still the worst pokegirl

No. The worst pokegirls are those Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, who Misty definitely wasn't like at all.

Either way, at least be grateful for Misty for saving Ash's butt on his first day. If you really don't have anything nice to say at all regarding Misty, do us all a favor and get lost, especially when this has little to do with the topic at hand.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    If Ash had no travelling partners..

Then Ash had a Talking Pokemon similar to Doreamon Or Whisper (Youkai Watch) accompany him.
    And Ash had a Love & Hate Relationship with it .

Back