• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
  • Yuzo Kushiro did 7th Dragon Music? Damn, I like EO OST and YsI-II has some great tracks, but 7th Dragon music feels a bit bland. It's not bad, it's just something I'll forget after I'm done with the game.

One of his songs I'll never forget is probably

About Ys, I'm an Ys fan, though I've yet to play games released past Ark of Napishtim. It's a bit sad that people nowadays skip the turbografx Ys games. I can understand I&II because of the Steam release, but Ys III and Ys IV are nothing like the remakes, and Ys V for SNES isn't even remade yet. Ys III for the turbografx has probably one of my favorite OSTs.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'm in the mood to spreading lulz but to anyone who ever cares for the world, please witch hunt this superbaddood.

Spoiler:

and don't worry. PPC (PeePi Coming S.) and I will accompany you in our Witch Hunt >:3 Also I've been checking this superbadmutha's reddit posts. He's edgy as feck and like to speak his mind. The perfect target for a witchhunt.

Anyway, i feel like i wanna talk about IGNs and whatnot and how important a display name or username is as a gaming handle but I'll do that in a different topic.

Spoiler:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Anyone played 7th Dragon franchise? Playing the 3DS one and it seems kinda fun. Etrian Odyssey is probably a better game, but this might be good for those that want their games to be more Annie May and less western dungeon crawler with lolis. What really count my attention were dozens of VAs you can use for your characters. Ended up making the main team of Yuuki Aoi, Sawashiro Miyuki and Akio Otsuka, and a 2nd team out of Sugita Tomokazu, Kamiya Hiroshi and Yuki Kaji (still waiting for the third team to add Nana Mizuki and I guess Hayami Saori, Yoko Hikasa because I'm not really into most of these VAs.)
    +999 for using seiyuu team.

And I'm kinda surprised the game has Japanese dub.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • +999 for using seiyuu team.

And I'm kinda surprised the game has Japanese dub.
    The game isn't really voiced other than battle voice and some random voiced lines, so I guess it didn't make sense dubbing an entire game for that. And the whole point of VAs in it is to make a character voiced by popular VA.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I do like the Ys games even though they are quite limited to a light story, and relatively simplistic gameplay, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Ys IV: Dawn of Ys for the PC-Engine is one my favorite action-rpgs of all-time and in my opinion, the best of what the series has to offer.There's four versions of the game, all being rather different, and while Memories of Celceta is a good game, I still prefer Dawn of Ys over it.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Ys is a great series. I'm actually a fan of Oath in Felghana the most, I enjoyed the the top-down perspective that the series stemmed from (and running into guys to attack lol) but adding in a platforming element made it even better for me. I'm currently playing through Lacrimosa of Dana, and the re-addition of jumping really has made this game much more enjoyable and faster. And, the OST is great as always.

About that story part, Falcom seems to have a clear direction where they want to take Ys now. I mean, it's still pretty much Adol getting washed up onto a beach and finding a pretty girl, but ever since Felghana they've been setting up a bunch of plot points for the future. Memories of Celceta was the biggest in that they established the background for Gruda, Geis and Ernest, more exposition on the Eldeen, alongside expanding on Felghana's point that the Romuns are not completely evil. Also, Lacrimosa has been pretty much hinting at a Ys V remake.

A little bit of crack theory and wishful thinking, I'm actually hoping this all leads to a grand Ys VI remake. They've pretty much set the pieces for it everywhere, and I think it can turn out well. (I also want to play Frieda again, but we'll probably be stuck with Geis instead)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Why remake VI though? For the first five you can say that they might have aged badly, but six looks and plays fantastic. V should really be the last remake and then just push forward and give their all for YsIX.

But then again, I kind of prefer the design VI, OiF and Origin have. I'm not too big on tall anime Adol. Same applies to the Legend of Heroes franchise. Something about that engine really appeals to me compared to the YsVIII and Cold Steel engine they are using. Not that it's deal breaking or anything.

Arc

Years
  • Not denying or downplaying anything about VI, it really is a great game (I wouldn't have bought it three different times if I didn't like it lol). It's just how the direction of the series seems to be going, will inevitably lead to a Ys VI remake. In the likelihood that it does ever happen, it's likely that there will be large enough differences between the two to call it more of a re-imagining than anything else, just like what happened with Dawn of Ys and MoC.

I'm a fan of the 2D/3D spritework on a 3D environment as well, they had a nice antiqued style to it. Tall anime Adol? Well, that sort of applies to Ys Seven, but they fixed that in MoC and definitely in Ys VIII. Dogi, on the other hand... had a interesting design makeover in VIII that I'm not thrilled about.

Is it just the overall look both series have taken or the models that are bothering you? I absolutely love the LoH series, but I'm not going to lie about how the models of Cold Steel and by extension, Cold Steel II, bother the ever living hell out of me. There's just a stiff and slightly lazy feeling to them in terms of the texturing, something that I hope CSIII fixes. Ys VIII's models are a step in the right direction.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Is it just the overall look both series have taken or the models that are bothering you? I absolutely love the LoH series, but I'm not going to lie about how the models of Cold Steel and by extension, Cold Steel II, bother the ever living hell out of me. There's just a stiff and slightly lazy feeling to them in terms of the texturing, something that I hope CSIII fixes. Ys VIII's models are a step in the right direction.
    I'm purely talking about aesthetics. I don't know, Ys VI kind of looks unique, while Ys VIII looks like just another anime game to me. As for the gameplay and plot, I'll have to play the games to talk about that. I mean designs aside, I'm still pumped for 7 and 8, because damn, you can play as THE Dogi. That alone makes the games 10/10.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • So i was asked in a nice little chatbox about my opinion towards a game called Day of Infamy

While the game is in early access and seeing that its specs are beyond my laptop's capabilities, i do not have a concrete opinion with the game, but I'll just leave it with my impressions:

- Title reminds me of Day of Defeat, in which that was an awesome thing in itself
    - World War 2 setting => Eeh, its a given. Its boots on the ground action that people like going back to. heck I don't mind it as well. Every theme and setting has its place in gaming.
    - Being that this is from the same guys that made Insurgency, i think this already has a nice pedigree in itself.

- based from what I've seen in the trailer/teaser, the shooting and gunplay seems to look a lot more Bootsy ( a term I'll use for attempted realism) and less "arcadey" than a well known series that has got beyond the BOOTS ON DA GROUND theme. Aiming down sights is noticeably slower than in your CoD of Duty game.

- Weapon models look fine. Most seem to look very manageable, aka Not obstructive which is a very important aspect in the aesthetic departments of a first person shooter.

- Simplified HUD = Another great aspect. A lot of people tend to forget how important a simplistic looking HUD is in such genre. Less distracting HUD means more space for one to be more observant of his surroundings and field view.

= Again, i don't have the game but since I was asked, i might as well give my opinionated impressions.

Arc

Years
  • I'm purely talking about aesthetics. I don't know, Ys VI kind of looks unique, while Ys VIII looks like just another anime game to me. As for the gameplay and plot, I'll have to play the games to talk about that. I mean designs aside, I'm still pumped for 7 and 8, because damn, you can play as THE Dogi. That alone makes the games 10/10.
    Ah, I can understand that. That's just the unfortunate effect as the series progresses and you start reaching for a broader fanbase. Yeah, it's pretty great that in Ys 7 you were finally able to play Mr. Wallcrusher himself, Dogi. Actually, helps that he's one of the better characters in the game (he's also super fun to play in Alternative Saga as well). But, I'm sorry to burst your bubble for VIII. Dogi isn't a party member and only joins combat for the Village Defense portions, even then he's controlled by the AI.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • So i was asked in a nice little chatbox about my opinion towards a game called Day of Infamy

While the game is in early access and seeing that its specs are beyond my laptop's capabilities, i do not have a concrete opinion with the game, but I'll just leave it with my impressions:

- Title reminds me of Day of Defeat, in which that was an awesome thing in itself
    - World War 2 setting => Eeh, its a given. Its boots on the ground action that people like going back to. heck I don't mind it as well. Every theme and setting has its place in gaming.
    - Being that this is from the same guys that made Insurgency, i think this already has a nice pedigree in itself.

- based from what I've seen in the trailer/teaser, the shooting and gunplay seems to look a lot more Bootsy ( a term I'll use for attempted realism) and less "arcadey" than a well known series that has got beyond the BOOTS ON DA GROUND theme. Aiming down sights is noticeably slower than in your CoD of Duty game.

- Weapon models look fine. Most seem to look very manageable, aka Not obstructive which is a very important aspect in the aesthetic departments of a first person shooter.

- Simplified HUD = Another great aspect. A lot of people tend to forget how important a simplistic looking HUD is in such genre. Less distracting HUD means more space for one to be more observant of his surroundings and field view.

= Again, i don't have the game but since I was asked, i might as well give my opinionated impressions.

Well I wasn't expecting that long of an opinion xD

And it's heavily inspired by DoD so I'm super excited to play it (when it works)

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • As long as it doesn't follow the path of Killing Floor 2's still Early Access status for almost 2 years and on going.. TripWire is tripping on whatever they are smoking at, and I would like to have some of that.

So yeah FPS is like there's nothing like to rush and hunting down people and killing em and I'm still *XIN STAHP WITH THE FPS DOUG REFERENCES! NOONE KNOWS WHO FPS DOUG IS*

So.. Halo: Combat Evolved for the PC.. something I played as a kid when a PC cafe branch had it installed somewhere in their "Other games" folder, then thanks to a close friend of mine, I was able to get the game from him through a simple USB data transfer and it works fantastically. I'm playing the game on 2 separate campaigns, one on Normal and one on Heroic and i definitely feel the difference in challenge level in Heroic. I like it.

I like the increased enemy numbers in Heroic but the increased enemy defenses.. okay that i actually find tiresome. It would not much of a problem if Chief could at least carry more than 2 weapons and a couple of nades..

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • Oh, just noticed that We Happy Few turned out to be a generic crappy survival indie game. Guess it's not just AAA games that give you false hope, indies do the same with interesting trailers that turn out to be a bland EA mess. I guess streamers and youtubers will enjoy it as flavor of the month, but oh well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    Oh where the hell is it... I had that violin somewhere. I was about to play it all sarcastically.. Goddamnit it was going to be awesome. XIN MAH BOI WHERE THE BLOODY HELL THAT TRIPLE AAA VIOLIN!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Oh where the hell is it... I had that violin somewhere. I was about to play it all sarcastically.. Goddamnit it was going to be awesome. XIN MAH BOI WHERE THE BLOODY HELL THAT TRIPLE AAA VIOLIN!

Maybe its stowed away inside your own boosted booty hole. I suggest you pry it open : D

On much more important factors before we fckin start another TOXIN smark war again...

RYLEfFM.jpg

Big Blue Brutes is on the table ladies and lads!

Big Alien Brutes for dinner lads and chicks. Now i gotta find more Covenants to hunt so i can turn them all into a delicious Covetous Meat Salad.

and a nice way to celebrate before how I got Halo 1 for the PC...

OOMG XIN PLAYING LEAGUE AGAIN? IS THAT HIM!? OMYOMGOMG!!!

cDf0oBT.jpg

Yep. S mother fcukin Hecarim. It was one of those times that I get to play with my friends when we all gathered in the PC Cafe, although I wanted to play Overwatch with Rainbow and Avery but PC unit issues caused my game to crash and tilt, so i just joined up with my battle bros (close friends -> Tryndamere, SUPPORT OLAF, and Jhin) minus the boosted Fizz (Fizz why do you lose in 1v1's against a Lux at lvl6), and wrecked the sh*t out of people with our manly teamwork and coordination.

We had a game before this were we used our best mains (Xin, Yasuo, Blitzcrank, Gangplank, and we were queued with a boosted Sivir) and smashed everything.

Oh and it didn;t help that when i was ready to play Overdunk, Rainbow and Avery were aready done for the day. feels bad man.

And yes, the enemy team had a Xin Zhao on their team but despite his best efforts to carry his boosted team, we played out well, despite all 4 of us picking characters that we are all bad at, save for me and Hecarim who is my 4th favorite champ.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Downloading Tricky Towers for free on PSN+ today. Giant Bomb guys seem to love it, and it looks beautiful. Could use a nice Tetris-inspired game.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • It just dawned on me.

I think I trust EA with their games more than I trust Ubisoft. Hell I think I even trust Microsoft more than Ubisoft, and Microsoft's actions with Halo have left a very sour taste in my mouth.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • pEorPgD.jpg

Well, yeah more of me playing League because because....

Nothing like a stress relieving game of Pure AD Midlane Jarvan to knock and blow people up in less than 2 seconds LIKE A REAL ALPHA beast champion warrior.

I think its same for me to say that I should definitely play more League given that I mostly still got it. However, i got a bunch of losses for trying to play a Marksman/ADC (Ranged Attack Damage carry) but I obviously won't show the results of that.

So i was playing a little bit of Fallout New Vegas because i wanna experience the Bethesda era Fallout right now. I was lucky enough to get FONV on a pretty decent sale.

Yep. Something to play that's a lot more slow paced yet still involving for once. My endless bloodlust for ultraviolence and supermurder can rest for now. New computer's in progress of building, and yes, more meat will always be on the table lads.

Spoiler:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    It just dawned on me.

I think I trust EA with their games more than I trust Ubisoft. Hell I think I even trust Microsoft more than Ubisoft, and Microsoft's actions with Halo have left a very sour taste in my mouth.

What has Ubisoft done that is distrustful?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back