• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • hello, and welcome to...
    video games daily chit-chat!
    Welcome to the new and improved Video Game DCC! This is the place where you could talk about anything and everything related to gaming. Before you proceed, though, please take a look through these guidelines:

You may only discuss video games here; everything else belongs to their respective sections
    You may start a new topic any time, but please make sure that the current one's dead. If there's already an existing thread on this topic, use that instead.
    Don't flame, bash, or troll anyone. Respect each other's opinions; be friendly!
    Have fun, and keep all other PC rules in mind. :)

Go nuts!

annoying_dog__undertale_icon_by_divakitty704-d9m81zy.gif

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Have you guys seen the User Review Score for Fallout 4 on Metacritic? It's at a score of 4.7, and I'm still surprised that the game is getting nominated for GOTY despite that.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Have you guys seen the User Review Score for Fallout 4 on Metacritic? It's at a score of 4.7, and I'm still surprised that the game is getting nominated for GOTY despite that.
    It's not really all that surprising. Apart from the critics rating being pretty high (88/100), this is Metacritic we're talking about. A high profile rating site for a high profile game is bound to be filled with a bunch of 10s and a bunch more 1-3 ratings.

Plus, of course, Metacritic scores rarely mean much, regardless.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • It's not really all that surprising. Apart from the critics rating being pretty high (88/100), this is Metacritic we're talking about. A high profile rating site for a high profile game is bound to be filled with a bunch of 10s and a bunch more 1-3 ratings.

Plus, of course, Metacritic scores rarely mean much, regardless.

What I'm more curious about is why this never occurred for User Review Scores of other recent entries of long-running franchises such as Skyward Sword and Smash Bros. 4 when I usually hear nothing but complaints about them from certain forum boards.

Years
  • I can see why people are complaining about Fallout 4. I hear things about your character being too pre-established, and things being made too easy and not very Fallout-y. Honestly, if this is the case, I still have my own hopes for at least having fun with the game, which I see many of my friends are. So yeah, cannot wait to play, even if it's not so much like 3 and New Vegas.

pkmin3033

Being nominated for GOTY means absolutely nothing; it's a mindless popularity contest where the game with the bigget advertising budget wins out most of the time, and quality has nothing to do with it. Metacritic means about as much. When it comes to games like Fallout 4, I think most people have already made up their mind about it before they even play it one way or the other, so you can take this stuff with a pinch of salt...or at least, I do.

Personally I'm waiting for the GOTY edition before I play Fallout 4 - I'll save £25 on the season pass, be able to pick up a hardback guide that covers the extra content for the same price as the current one, and all the bugs and glitches people are whining about right now will have been ironed out. Sure, I'll probably have to wait until this time next year or so, but...well, my backlog is pretty damn big, and my list of games for 2016 is sitting at around 25. I'm sure I'll survive. xD

pkmin3033

My copy of Lost Song arrived this morning...not that I'll play it for a while. I still haven't started Re: Hollow Fragment (and I haven't finished the trashy Vita version either...that probably won't happen, haha) and Disgaea 5 is far more enticing. Since I hate juggling multiple games on one console...to the backlog you go, Kirito. Maybe I'll check it out early next month, if my RoF replay doesn't consume all my time.

It's going to be a very quiet Christmas for releases for me, which I find odd. Everything was clustered around October, and now I have nothing to look forward to until Atelier Escha & Logy Plus on January 20th. I'm not counting Xenoblade X because I have to wait until Christmas Day for that ;_;

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • So the new DCC is because of Fallout 4...?
    Jesus...

Let's get back to Kiseki plz.

It's not even the biggest thing coming out, if I omit TiTS SC, SAO Lost Song is obvious choice.
    Didn't you see the dub posts the last DCC was producing for the last...like, 30 pages? It wasn't good, that'd been going on for months.

And 's just a title, don't think too much about it. still not sure if anyone's found the surprise, tho

My copy of Lost Song arrived this morning...not that I'll play it for a while. I still haven't started Re: Hollow Fragment (and I haven't finished the trashy Vita version either...that probably won't happen, haha) and Disgaea 5 is far more enticing. Since I hate juggling multiple games on one console...to the backlog you go, Kirito. Maybe I'll check it out early next month, if my RoF replay doesn't consume all my time.

It's going to be a very quiet Christmas for releases for me, which I find odd. Everything was clustered around October, and now I have nothing to look forward to until Atelier Escha & Logy Plus on January 20th. I'm not counting Xenoblade X because I have to wait until Christmas Day for that ;_;
    Yeah, not much coming out for me, either. I have an income now, though, so basically every week I've managed to get a few games that were on my to-get list. As a result I've been less thrifty so I'm getting a lot of stuff that caught my eye, which feels new. This week I got Alien: Isolation, (hopefully) Bayonetta 1+2, and Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess and last week was Youkai Watch, Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, yadayada. Pretty much all I'm looking forward to are Super Mystery Dungeon, Lost Song, and X, but what I have to play's been growing so it's a give and take.

Speaking of, you're playing Disgaea 5 currently? How are you liking it?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Yeah, not much coming out for me, either. I have an income now, though, so basically every week I've managed to get a few games that were on my to-get list. As a result I've been less thrifty so I'm getting a lot of stuff that caught my eye, which feels new. This week I got Alien: Isolation, (hopefully) Bayonetta 1+2, and Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess and last week was Youkai Watch, Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, yadayada. Pretty much all I'm looking forward to are Super Mystery Dungeon, Lost Song, and X, but what I have to play's been growing so it's a give and take.

Speaking of, you're playing Disgaea 5 currently? How are you liking it?
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean...since I started getting a regular income a lot of stuff I might have passed on has caught my eye too. It all balances out in the end, though. Now I'm probably not going to buy anything until January (I say probably because the Christmas deals on the PSN always wring some money out of me) I've got plenty of time to catch up on what I've accumulated...if I can ever finish what I'm currently playing, anyway. I hate leaving things unfinished. In a sense, the sudden influx of releases followed by long droughts is a good thing - if something new you wanted came out every week you'd probably never finish anything, right? You'd never be able to justify these impulse purchases either, and I for one owe a lot to impulse buying. So many potentially missed opportunities...

Yeah, I've been playing about with D5 on my alt account for the last couple of days. It's a bit too early for me to make any concrete judgements, since I'm not too far in, although my first impressions are fairly positive! Whilst the story and cast aren't resonating with me the same way D4 did, they're a definite improvement over DD2. I don't think it's going to be as hard a grind as D4, as the new mechanics seem much more...user friendly? Disgaea has always been a series with ridiculously high entry barriers for newer players, but I think they've got it just right with D5. I love the new classes, too. It's always fun exploring those, although the Sage seems a tad broken, haha.

So...better than DD2 and D2, maybe as good as D3 and D1, nowhere near as good as D4? Something like that, maybe. I didn't expect it to surpass my second favourite game of all time, but it would have been nice. Have you played it yet also?~

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Haha, I know exactly what you mean...since I started getting a regular income a lot of stuff I might have passed on has caught my eye too. It all balances out in the end, though. Now I'm probably not going to buy anything until January (I say probably because the Christmas deals on the PSN always wring some money out of me) I've got plenty of time to catch up on what I've accumulated...if I can ever finish what I'm currently playing, anyway. I hate leaving things unfinished. In a sense, the sudden influx of releases followed by long droughts is a good thing - if something new you wanted came out every week you'd probably never finish anything, right? You'd never be able to justify these impulse purchases either, and I for one owe a lot to impulse buying. So many potentially missed opportunities...
    Well I'm the type of person that buys things for the sake of...I don't want to say having them (well, depends on the situation), but I don't really have what I would consider a backlog, I just kind of choose what I want to try or have fun with when. Feeling compelled to play isn't really much of a problem, either, because if I see something I might feel like playing it.

So in my case it's whether I play a game and how much I enjoy it is based a lot more on what I would get out of doing so rather than feeling compelled to because I have it. Most of the time. There have been some games that I picked up again just because I was close to the end.

Not to say that I never bear down intent on beating just that game, it helps in some cases. I can name a few games that otherwise wouldn't have been too interested in that I ended up really liking as a result.

Yeah, I've been playing about with D5 on my alt account for the last couple of days. It's a bit too early for me to make any concrete judgements, since I'm not too far in, although my first impressions are fairly positive! Whilst the story and cast aren't resonating with me the same way D4 did, they're a definite improvement over DD2. I don't think it's going to be as hard a grind as D4, as the new mechanics seem much more...user friendly? Disgaea has always been a series with ridiculously high entry barriers for newer players, but I think they've got it just right with D5. I love the new classes, too. It's always fun exploring those, although the Sage seems a tad broken, haha.

So...better than DD2 and D2, maybe as good as D3 and D1, nowhere near as good as D4? Something like that, maybe. I didn't expect it to surpass my second favourite game of all time, but it would have been nice. Have you played it yet also?~
    Yeah, I got it about a week after I got my PS4. In my case...I dunno.

I'm pretty early in so far, and it's been a while since I played. Progressing through the story of this game really brings back similar feelings I had of playing Disgaea 3 back on the PS3 years ago. Or possibly Persona 3 FES. And I'd like to say the cast is the problem (in pretty much any of those cases, even though P3 had...other problems) but I can't. I mean, I don't dislike the characters, and Disgaea 2's cast had a bunch of misses but I enjoyed the hell out of that game . But basically, it feels like I'm skating through he game. I'm satisfied but I don't really know if I'd say that I was having fun. Maybe it's just the game's reputation getting to me.

So, the plan is to step away from the game for a while. Came back to D3 on Vita earlier this year and powered through. I enjoyed it fine. I think the problem with these games is that I hear that they're good and, even though I try to have no expectations, I end up inadvertently putting them up to other entries in their series that I enjoy. Worse here because I also played A Promise Revisited this year and I loved the hell out of it.

It's been almost a month, though, so I might get back to is soon.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I thought I posted! I was the one that got the prize :D

I'm waiting for the full DLC version of Disgaea that is sure to come out at some point. Hopefully still on the Vita as I loved playing the others on their, Other than when I lost all my save files. Me and save files really don't go well. Lost so many things due to corruption haha.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Woohoo! Glad we got a new DCC going now. The old one was getting really cluttered. I sadly can't play much beyond what I already own for 360 and low end PC games, but I'm holding in there, lol! At least I have Isaac: Afterbirth to tide me over while I can't play Fallout 4 (THE RAGE!).

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I thought I posted! I was the one that got the prize :D

I'm waiting for the full DLC version of Disgaea that is sure to come out at some point. Hopefully still on the Vita as I loved playing the others on their, Other than when I lost all my save files. Me and save files really don't go well. Lost so many things due to corruption haha.
    Oh, congrats! I was worried that one of the guests had swooped in and grabbed it- which would have been fine, since we here at Pokecommunity Inc. Ltd. Corps TM adore our lurkers!

But in regards to Disgaea...I dunno if that's gonna happen. For a while I'd assumed that because Disgaea D2 wasn't a numbered entry, it made sense that it wouldn't get ported (assuming it wasn't), but then I started to wonder why that made sense. After all, D2 is about as big an entry as any of the others. I waited a good while but they still haven't announced anything there. Granted, Nippon Ichi's anything but abandoned the Vita, but considering the stipulations involved with porting D5 over and, well, D2's situation, it's not looking likely.

But who knows. Wouldn't be surprised if they released a "Complete" edition on the PS4. A normal Vita Rerelease would be great, though.

pkmin3033

There isn't going to be a Disgaea 5 on the Vita, unfortunately. Niikawa has already ruled that out entirely, because it was developed for the PS4, so they'd have to cut a lot of the new features out. Thankfully with D5, the DLC isn't stupidly expensive, is a little more substantial than just additional characters in places, and nor does it have accompanying trophies, unlike the disastrous DD2...I'm surprised they haven't ported that to Vita yet, but honestly I don't think I'd want them to. The story was awful, and the gameplay was horribly basic for a Disgaea title. Much as I loved seeing Laharl, Etna and Flonne starring in their own game again, I find it very difficult to say anything remotely positive about it...it's like the Star Ocean 3 or Zelda II of the Disgaea franchise.

That said, I will probably, eventually, give it a second chance. I don't want to dislike it as much as I do, it's just very difficult not to when the other instalments in the franchise are of much higher quality...

Last edited:

pkmin3033

http://store.steampowered.com/app/405900
    I hope that comes out on PS4/Vita with some trophies to match the achievements that's going to have...

...well, sort of. Did I mention how murderously painful Disgaea 4's platinum is? I want to quit but I'm so far along now (and I just found the last pirates I needed this morning) that I'd feel an awful sense of remorse if I did. Plat or bust. SARDINES.

I can't say it affects me, because I don't play PC games, but I have to say it's nice to see so many JRPGs coming out on PC as well; the more people who get to experience these, the better. Although Mugen Souls should never have been ported. Mugen Souls should never have been made at all, in fact.

And in other news, I just bought a 32GB SD card for my Wii U. Those Xenoblade X packs are too big for my pitiful 8GB harddrive, and there is no way I'm not getting the full experience. I probably should have asked for one for Christmas, but then I'd have to wait and download them on Christmas Day...thereby wasting valuable playing time. Nope.

Years
  • I've been playing GTA IV on my new laptop for the past few days. Needless to say, it runs quite well despite being an unoptimized piece of garbage and having a ton of patches to attempt to fix the issue. And on a similar topic, I've heard that the PC version of Fallout 4 is riddled with glitches and whatnot, and was told to steer clear of it for now. Not that I'm really much for Fallout as it's not my cup of tea, but is it really that buggy?

I'd still play it even if it was buggy. I like how the game incorporates elements from many genres - shooting, RPG stats and skills, crafting, and now building. Also, dog. It seems that what most people have against the game is its lack of polish, but I thought Bethesda was better than that? *shrug*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back