• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
  • Mizan Nix Zamnie said:
    When I was eight, we were forced to read something about a Blue Boy short story. It was infuriating. We were not allowed to read the whole dam thing but we had to go chapter by chapter. I could have finished the book in 5 minutes flat but then our teacher forced us to do it one chapter per day. It took the whole class two weeks. It was hell.
    lolwut. I don't even know your teacher, and I'm annoyed by the thought of her. XDD

I hate when teachers try to normalise everyone. This was particularly the case in primary school. >_>

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I hate when teachers try to normalise everyone. This was particularly the case in primary school. >_>
    I know. I guess it's better in Secondary School.

Let us see...I read the last Harry Potter book in less than 16 hours (breaks included in that 16 hours), so you tell me. (I got it at midnight the night it came out and didn't put it down until 16 hours later)
    If I took out all the breaks from when I was reading the final Harry Potter Book it would have taken me 5 1/2 hours. Only if all the distractions were gone though and I was with the book on the moon and never felt tired.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • If I took out all the breaks from when I was reading the final Harry Potter Book it would have taken me 5 1/2 hours. Only if all the distractions were gone though and I was with the book on the moon and never felt tired.

Wow. I thought I was fast. I probably could've done that, but I would miss so much in it that it wouldn't be worth it. I prefer to take my time with books, though, and I find myself rushing through books less nowadays and reading very carefully.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Seeing as everyone's using the HP books as an example, I will too. I can't give an exact time, but I zip through them as fast as I can, then go back and read it again slowly to pick up the bits I missed. Actually, I wasn't allowed to read Deathly Hallows when I first got it, as Mum made me tidy my room before I could touch it. >:[

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • I'm not exactly an uber-fast reader, myself. Probably slightly above average, but I definitely wouldn't class myself as a speed reader. When I do, I miss too much, like dotKarma said. :P

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Wow. I thought I was fast. I probably could've done that, but I would miss so much in it that it wouldn't be worth it. I prefer to take my time with books, though, and I find myself rushing through books less nowadays and reading very carefully.
    Keep in mind that that's only after all the distractions are gone and normally I can't read that fast, unless it's a Darren Shan book. If I actuall added it with the times the teacher scolded me for reading in class, and how many times my Mother called me down for dinner, and how many times I got tired, it would take me one and a half day.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
  • Seeing as everyone's using the HP books as an example, I will too. I can't give an exact time, but I zip through them as fast as I can, then go back and read it again slowly to pick up the bits I missed. Actually, I wasn't allowed to read Deathly Hallows when I first got it, as Mum made me tidy my room before I could touch it. >:[

That is so utterly coincidental! My dad did the same thing!

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Well, after going out of town for some time, getting a horrible sunburn to the point where I only wanted to move to put some medicine on it, and the occasional family outing, I am back.

Although, my experience out of town was not a good one, the jackass son of the person who's house we were staying at turned on the alarm... which we didn't know the code to. It was very very loud.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Well, after going out of town for some time, getting a horrible sunburn to the point where I only wanted to move to put some medicine on it, and the occasional family outing, I am back.

Although, my experience out of town was not a good one, the jackass son of the person who's house we were staying at turned on the alarm... which we didn't know the code to. It was very very loud.
    Welcome back, I was wondering where had you gotten too. About the alarm thing, happened to me once, the neighbourhood guard had to come shut it down for us.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Are you a speed reader? How fast can you finish a 700 page book?

I read pretty quickly, but I'm still slow compared to some of you guys (when I got HP7, I fell asleep after half an hour...). I'd say a 700-page book would take a couple days' worth of reading in school to finish. If given the opprotunity to do it all for a full day at home, I'd say around twenty-four hours; just a guess, I suppose, but... yeah. xD I read too fast for my allowance to keep up with, so I usually end up reading books again for lack of anything else to do (at school, I mean - otherwise I would be incredibly bored and in trouble with my English teacher). Often multiple times. So I save the re-reads for all the important things, and basically zoom through the first reading, picking up what I can and forgetting what I can't.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Are you a speed reader? How fast can you finish a 700 page book?

Can be one if I want to be. I could finish a 700 page book in 1 day or ten weeks. It depends on how engaging it is and what I have to do that day.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Are you a speed reader? How fast can you finish a 700 page book?
    Depending on how captivating the book is, 2 days to 2 weeks.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
    Years
  • Coincidence, this always happens to me. XD
    Another reason to use Project Gutenburg!

Giratinasaur said:
    so I usually end up reading books again for lack of anything else to do (at school, I mean - otherwise I would be incredibly bored and in trouble with my English teacher). Often multiple times.

I do the same thing. But once I get bored with that, I just read random e-books that the teacher doesn't know I have... For instance, almost all of the Star Wars novels up until 2007...
    I'm lucky in that I get to use a laptop at school in all classes except Maths.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I bring my laptop for school too, and use it for notes. Only in like the last few classes I began using it to go on mIRC. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • An interesting observation:

my two most commonly posted-in threads are the DCC and the FFL. One thing I've noticed is that rep is a lot lower overall in the FFL than in the DCC. Now, most authors put a great deal of effort and thought into their posts, as do many reviewers, so I find this quite odd. And you can't say it's for the lack of witty remarks - we have plenty of those in the FFL. XD; So, I'd like to ask the question:

How often do you rep posts in the Fanfiction section?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I guess chat goes by a lot quicker in the DCC, so more to rep maybe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back