• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your strategy in battle

Whats your strategy in battle?

• Total voters

Universe

all-consuming
Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Glass cannons that shatter from being flicked but hit like a freakin' truck... now that's what I call awesome.

I build every Pokemon I get this way and always have this habit for myself with every game I play. I don't know why, but I love the aspect of hitting really hard and being so fragile. Because it just makes the enemy even angrier knowing that you're easy to take down but you made the first move and destroyed em. XD

Pokemon's no different. It's fun to destroy things with the lift of a single finger.~

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    In competitive sense, defensive stall teams seem to be the best teams. However, I don't have enough patience normally, so I like quick offensive team. I prefer to play the games, in game and competitive, wit h super aggressive team. In game I will normally supply my team with high powered moves, but low amounts of PP. In this case, I'll have to save up on ethers and elixirs. When playing competitively, I will scarf 3-4 of my Pokémon and try to out predict my opponent. It's a very risky strategy.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • My battle-style is mostly hyper-offensive. If I'm gonna use a defensive Pokemon, it will be just to cripple a major threat with a status condition, so that my main attackers can deal with it easier. I rarely bother with tactics that slowly chip away the opponent's hp little by little, like hazards and Toxic and I usually favor power-boosting items over Leftovers.
    Attack and Speed it is!

Tek

Years
  • I remember before I use to be "Attacker" I just tried to attack with the most super effective move.... along the way I learned how to use stat lowerer or afflict conditions a bit more so now I'm more of a mixed player - I tend to experiment a lot and see what works and what didn't, I will only get better this way.

Same here. Everything changed for me after doing an NFE run, with the additional restrictions that my Pokémon couldn't have a BST higher than 330, and couldn't know any OHKO moves or moves with a base power >80. It was basically adapt or lose hard.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Since I typically make teams based on what Pokemon I find aesthetically pleasing (or favorites) rather than with any particular strategy in mind, my strategy is mixed according to what I'm using. The types I typically veer towards though are usually mainly offensive with moderate defenses. They also typically have high special stats or balanced offensive stats.

Whilst I have used many glass cannons, I am not the biggest fan of them and try to avoid them because I'd rather feel safe than vulnerable, even if I can kill things. I go for a "try not to die" style and am generally more defense-oriented than offense, but I like to have both whilst sacrificing neither. Overall, I try to be as balanced as possible. I have a tank on my team? I'll also put in an offensive Pokemon with decent defenses. And I typically have at least one defensive move on a Pokemon (or two attack moves and two defensive moves) unless it's a total glass cannon.

Speed I don't care about as much. (Though it is a nice balance) As long as I can live and have the advantage for as long as possible, I'm good. One thing to note as well is that I prefer Double Battles, which allows my playstyle much more easily due to the fact that I can attack and defend in the same turn with each Pokemon. It allows me to have my team more balanced and help each other out.

So that's basically my strategy. Balanced offense and defense, but typically slow. Try to survive, play it safe, and keep the advantage and momentum on my side at all times. I don't like to switch out either, because I consider it to be a big risk and I'm not much a risk taker.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I like using hard-hitting and fast Pokemon. :) No patience for stall, especially ingame! I usually have Pokemon with 4 moves of different types so I can hit things for supereffective damage 8)

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    Both in game and competitively I tend to take the balanced approach. I like to have a way to deal with pretty much any situation handed to me: if I need to sweep I can do that, but if i need to stall I can do that as well. Of course, this tends to result in me being a jack of all trades and a master of none as there will always be someone who can sweep better than me or stall better than me.

Years
  • In-game I just go all-out attack. Basically knock them down before they have a chance to fight back hard because I don't want to waste potions, full heals, and revives.

Also because Confuse Ray is annoying as ****.

Jolteon Dan

Electric Boogaloo
    Years
  • In-game, I like fast pokemon that can hit hard. Competitively, in 3rd Gen. which is my favorite, I typically preferred a more defensive team though I liked to play Baton Pass as well. Nowadays, I go for high offense preferring sweepers that can boost up though nearly all of my teams have at least one Choice Scarfer.

Years
  • The games are easy enough for me to use mostly high speed attackers so that's my preferred approach as I never had the need to do anything but. Moves like Flamethrower and Thunderbolt have been my best friends for over a decade now because of that. If the difficulty were improved upon then I'm sure I'd swap over to a more mixed approach similar to competitive battling. But alas.. it is not. :(

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • My strategy is attack quickly and hope for a one hit KO. Most of the Pokemon I end up using have great Speed and Attack, but can't take a hit. I also like gimmicks. I have the Notch-Eared Pichu as part of my main team in HeartGold.

For competitive battles, I prefer unexpected sets. I have an offensive Ferrothorn and Goodra. I've won a battle where my opponent's Stealth Rock ended up knocking out his/her final Pokemon because I switched my Magic Bounce Espeon in on Mega Tyranitar and the last person who thought my Goodra was helpless against their Slurpuff lost the battle because of a Critical Hit Sludge Bomb while they were setting up Slurpuff as a wall.

So, speedy attackers are my main team members, but I like to mix things up a lot.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I have a lot of defensive setups. My favourite gimmick is to stack HP regeneration, like having Leftovers + Ingrain + Giga Drain.
    Joke builds are fun too, like my Substitute/Light Screen/Giga Drain lead Jumpluff, and Normal Gem + Retaliate Furret.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I enjoy high speed/high attack or sp. attack. But with that comes low defenses which sucks when one day you don't obliterate your opponent in one or two hits. So because of that I force myself to throw a high defense/sp defense Pokemon on my team or just something bulky. Deep down inside though I just love sweepers. I like to have that grass member on my team though with leech seed and something like giga drain/horn leech, plus toxic if I'm really feeling like an ass.

Years
  • In-game, mine is FAITO FAITO FAITO. I don't really care so much about Speed so long as my Pokemon have enough power to take down opponents with their attacks (and not get taken down by their attacks). I may sometimes using stat-boosting moves if I feel the need to, but for the most part I'm on the offensive most the time. Competitive-wise, I use a mix of speedy attackers and defensive Pokemon because having a full team of frail Pokemon isn't good when going against other players/NPCs with fantastic AIs.

TurboHammer

Turbo
    Years
  • In the recent few games it just feels like everyone in the pokemon metagame are all about attack and speed. If you set up enough and have priority you're gonna sweep. So sadly... Atk & speed...

Years
  • In normal playthroughs, I can usually use whatever attacking moves I desire, since i'm not restricted between Pokémon or anything.

But in challenges, especially Wedlockes, I tend to focus on things like stat boosting moves and recovery moves. When you can only use two Pokémon and can't deposit anything to the PC, you really need to choose your moves carefully. Sometimes you may even end up having to lose something for the greater good. This gets most apparent at the Elite Four - in my X Wedlocke that I did recently, my team was full of Pokémon that had moves like Calm Mind, Rest, Substitute and Stockpile, as well as all my pairings having Water-types, because those are especially helpful against the Kalos Elite Four. So I voted Defensive, because that's the best strategy to go in those challenges.

Monotypes and Mono-Colors aren't as bad, though, I usually try to avoid using items in battle in them but they do make me think about what I want to preserve.

Back