• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your strategy in battle

Whats your strategy in battle?

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    The thing about Weekly Polls is that they're mod exclusive for a reason. They're to promote discussion about the Fifth Generation topics, and when they're new, are to be stickied. I'll have to tinker on making them to where only I can post them, so that part is not your fault.

However, your topic has nothing to do with the Fifth Generation. It's much more suitable in Pokemon Gaming Central, and as such, I'll move it there for ya.

BUT! To answer your question, I like defensive teams with a ton of HP.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • My strategy is usually attack with the strongest and fastest pokemon that have super effective moves. There's also at least one pokemon with stat boosting move for setup sweeping (typically at the elite 4)

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Presuming of course that the question is what is my strategy in-game, since in-game battling and competitive battling are two entirely different things...

In-game, I rely on type advantage and relatively balanced pokemon. Trying to sweep in-game isn't necessary, and I don't even think it's sound strategy. There's no reason to waste a moveslot on a coverage move that's not going to KO the opponent anyway, since all that means is that you'll maybe chip away at the opponent a bit before it KOs your pokemon, when you could've just switched in something with a super-effective STAB and been done with it. Since the AI is dumb as a bag of rocks, switching is pretty much risk-free.

So I go for pokemon who are bulky enough to take a hit on the switch and then either bulky enough to take yet another hit before they get off their attack, or fast enough to get in the first hit on the next turn, and I carefully balance types so that I've got at least a couple of things that can potentially handle pretty much anything that shows up. With the right pokemon, I can be pretty sure to always have at least one SE STAB to use on pretty much anything that pops up, and with well-trained, beneficial nature pokemon (which mine always are), a good SE STAB is almost always a OHKO anyway, so that's pretty much that. Then when the next thing comes in (I always play on Set, so I don't know what's coming next), if necessary, I just switch to whatever has the SE STAB I need.

And to that end, I very rarely use fixed teams from beginning to end. I generally work out of a pool of viable pokemon and rearrange my team to suit whatever it is that I'm doing at the moment. I use a balanced team if I'm going along a new route and am going to be facing a lot of different stuff, but there's no reason to take an Electric into the Ground gym (for instance), so I generally don't.

The only real exception to part of that is the E4. Since there's a limited set of types, type advantage is even more important and easier to make sure you have, but since they have sets of powerful pokemon, it pays to treat it more like competitive sweeping, with a bit of setup first, so whoever is handling a given trainer's pokemon can fight three or four or five of them in a row. And since the Champion (and/or the "guest," like Ghetsis) is going to be using a very tough team, it pays to have a wall of some sort, so you've got someone to switch in and let sit for a while, so you can work on reviving/healing the rest of your team. Other than that though, it's the same basic strategy - type coverage, well trained pokemon with beneficial natures, bulky enough to take at least a hit or two and/or fast enough to outspeed them, and the best STAB moves available.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I love to abuse stall tactics to their fullest, and then clean up with a strong sweeper. Toxic Spikes, Leech Seed, and Substitute are moves I absolutely can't live without. :D

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I am not much of a tactical battler, but I do use a couple here and there while I play through my challenges. The one I use the most is putting the opponent to sleep, plain and simple. I also like to use moves like leech seed when facing those annoying pokemon with moves like double team. Since the moves I lean towards tend make more elongated battles I prefer to use more bulky pokemon, doing this makes it much easier to wait the battle out.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I remember before I use to be "Attacker" I just tried to attack with the most super effective move.... along the way I learned how to use stat lowerer or afflict conditions a bit more so now I'm more of a mixed player - I tend to experiment a lot and see what works and what didn't, I will only get better this way.

Years
  • I think my style is mainly "attack and hope for the best" haha so I guess "Attack with speed" would be my choice :)

I'm too impatient for anything defensive lol although occasionally I do do semi-strategic things like combining Toxic and Supersonic :)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I remember before I use to be "Attacker" I just tried to attack with the most super effective move.... along the way I learned how to use stat lowerer or afflict conditions a bit more so now I'm more of a mixed player - I tend to experiment a lot and see what works and what didn't, I will only get better this way.

^ This describes me exactly. Even today, though, most especially in normal in-game playthroughs, I find myself sweeping through teams and giving my Pokemon's movesets with the most powerful damaging attacks, like what I used to do before haha. In Showdown and the like though - it's on!

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I definitely like mixes. I always have defensive tanks and then fast sweepers. I make both work together well. I can't just have one type. >_<

Years
  • Mixed. I go with the Attack and/or Special Attack depending on their moves as well as defensive. I don't care about speed so much because there will always be those faster so I focus on making my pokemon strong and able to take hits. :)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I prefer using a fast attacking Pokemon. They hit hard and hit first, which ends struggles pretty quickly. A good Pokemon that describes this has to be Deoxys-Attack. It's fast and hits hella hard, and fast attackers could be mixed a la Mega Lucario.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • It's mixed, although I do like to attack with specials a lot so I voted that. I use physical attackers sometimes, but I tend to main special attackers more. A bit of speed is nice, too.

Legendaries tamer

Man who's coming up with a plan
    Years
  • I typically use just type-effectiveness and nothing else when I'm not fighting seriously...

Though, When I do decide to actually fight like I care, I use prudence as my main tactic. I tend to examine the other side, then set myself up to handle them with as few casualties as possible, going for a mix of sweep tactics with spec. Attackers and causing trouble for the other side with moves like toxic

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I mostly play defensively, because this is usually where I find success. :] When I'm ready and feel that I've gotten the match under control, I then proceed to send out a sweeper, do some set-up, and start wrecking some havoc. Once it's take down, I would immediately switch back to defense.

Years
  • In regular play-throughs of a game, I use a fast-paced, speed oriented attack strategy that revolves around taking the opponents Pokemon out as quickly and efficiently as I can. It's a whole different story when I play competitively, though. I'm actually a huge fan of stall teams and defensive-based Pokemon, and so most of my custom teams are of that theme.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    in rating batttle u know its on
    so heres what i do i start of with a pokemon with high defence and which knows entry hazzard moves such as spikes and then switch into a pokemon ( for me i switch into my dragonite who knows dragon tail to cause damage and get the best out of those entry hazzards) then i get the rest of my opponents pokemon out with my infernape

Back