• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Advance map or RPGXP

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
RMXP is not even comparable to Advancemap, they are entirely different programs - if you're referring to the mapping aspect solely then RMXP trumps it no questions asked

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Some discussion this is, no arguments, no points of comparison, no nothing. =/

Anyways, assuming we're talking about mapping, I'm gonna vote for RMXP. That three layer system is really useful, and allows you to use and rearrange tiles more freely.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Some discussion this is, no arguments, no points of comparison, no nothing. =/

Anyways, assuming we're talking about mapping, I'm gonna vote for RMXP. That three layer system is really useful, and allows you to use and rearrange tiles more freely.

Is there even a discussion to have? One is a ROM Hacking tool and one is a Game Developing tool...

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Is there even a discussion to have? One is a ROM Hacking tool and one is a Game Developing tool...
True that, but both are used for making maps, so they got that in common. There could be discussion on which of them has yhe better user interface etc.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
True that, but both are used for making maps, so they got that in common. There could be discussion on which of them has yhe better user interface etc.

Discussions like this really only give people more of a reason to ask questions like "Will this work with X emulator?" or make statements like "I love this hack!".

Sorry if I am coming off as a dick here.

Actually, no I am not sorry. I don't think muddled discussions like this that attempt to cover up the line between ROM Hacking and Game Development should be allowed in either section.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This is a discussion? This thread is a mediocre poll more than anything else.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
If you want a Game Development vs ROM hacking, this discussion had happened before at below links:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314790
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=295321

Discussions like this really only give people more of a reason to ask questions like "Will this work with X emulator?" or make statements like "I love this hack!".

Sorry if I am coming off as a dick here.

Actually, no I am not sorry. I don't think muddled discussions like this that attempt to cover up the line between ROM Hacking and Game Development should be allowed in either section.
I disagree. If the discussion is well done listing the strong and weak points of both sides, there's no problem, that not this case.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Advance Map is very unsupported anyway, the creator Lu-Ho is online ever once in a blue moon, and it's buggy.
MEH made by ShinyQuagsire is getting good.

But they're for ROM Hacking, where as RPG Maker XP is created to make .exe games.
Too total different things, so this disscussion is a bit futile.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
...RMXP? Using Advancemap is like sticking your hand in something from Saw.
Definitely agreed. RMXP has its flaws, but it's a whole lot better than romhacking. The limitation of 386 Mons plus a few extras, THE HOURS IT TAKES TO CREATE A freaking tilescreen (like WHAT is free space I still don't understand) the weird thing called unlz-gba (which never worked). Compared to the ease with which RMXP exists like seriously.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Definitely agreed. RMXP has its flaws, but it's a whole lot better than romhacking. The limitation of 386 Mons plus a few extras, THE HOURS IT TAKES TO CREATE A freaking tilescreen (like WHAT is free space I still don't understand) the weird thing called unlz-gba (which never worked). Compared to the ease with which RMXP exists like seriously.

Free Space is what it says on the tin, Free Space. It's space that is used up by nothing in the ROM thus allowing you to use it to edit your own things in the ROM.

I'm in favor of RMXP, but everything you mentioned is easy once you get the hang of it, as with everything else in reality.
I thought Titlescreen hacking would be a mess for me, but i tried again and again and then I actually managed it, it's just a matter of finding the right tutorial and following it correctly.

pokemon_destiny___title___almost_done_by_varion_the_shadow-d6yp4md.png

Just an example I made...

I will say now, it feels more natural using a ROM to make a Titlescreen.

Since Paint/Photoshop/Paint.net you can get away with an infinite amount of colour, it's all just not settling for me.

*shiver*

UNLZ-GBA is a buggy program, but there's multiple alternatives:

Overworlds = NSEClassic
Battle Sprites = NSE 2.0/Wichu's Box

Point is, ROM Hacking is only hard, if you make it out to be, the same with RMXP.

In terms of Advance Map, it sucks.
(MEH) by shiny quagsire is looking alot better.

Back