• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Thanks very much! I just had a quick look back through the pages in this thread and it turns out I've not actually updated a challenge of my own for over a year now...! My first Ones that Got Away challenge ended last December, and since then I've been allocated a team but never got round to starting it. There's several reasons for this - life got in the way, Skyrim got in the way, my addiction to Nuzlocke challenges got in the way (I've actually got 4 on the go at once at the moment, all at the pre-E4 training stage except my White challenge which is just post-Nimbasa). I also started to draw out a Nuzlocke comic over on the official Nuzlocke boards.

In other words, I had a million and one other things to do, and as my Soul Silver cartridge is in use (for one of those Nuzlocke challenges) I just never had a chance to start. I think it's probably best that I put my own repeat Ones that Got Away challenge on an official hiatus for now, but rest assured I'll still be checking the board to read updates and fiddle with the original post. I still fully intend to do my second challenge but it'll just be a while before I start. It's possible in fact that I'll bump it up to a White challenge instead, we shall see...

Anyways, thanks again for complimenting my original updates (surprised you read through them as they were so long!) and keep your own coming!

Not a problem, I enjoy and envy guys like you and a couple of others who take time and write really good posts, not bullet pointed updates like myself :P I just don't have time to play AND do long updates.

anyway update
Bugged by Team Rocket.
-Got the Egg and dumped it in the PC, never to be seen again.
-Headed South onto Route 32, defeating all trainers.
-Did Union Cave, fighting trainers, etc.
-Arrived in Azalea Town, spoke to Kurt, took on Slowpoke Well.
-Took on Rocket Exec Proton using Boomerang's Rock Tomb and Headbutt on Zubat and Beamos Psybeam on Koffing.
-Healed, then took on the Azalea Town Gym.
-Defeated Bugsy using Keaton's Bullet Punch, BeastLink's Tackle, Boomerang's Rock Tomb and Kaepora's Peck on Scyther, Beamos' AncientPower on Metapod and Beamos' Psybeam on Kakuna. Got the Hive Badge and U-Turn TM.
TEAM REPORT
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
TOTGA Pokemon Blue Prolouge

Professor Oak- Hello, and welcome to the world of Pokemon. I am Professor Oak. This is a Nidorino.
Nidorino- Nidorina!
Cheese- What the hell?!
PO- Moving on, people use Pokemon as pets, fights or as I like to do, test subjects. What is your name?
C- Umm... Cheese...
PO- Wha...
C- My mom, she got uncreative.
PO- Anyway... This is my grandson. His name is... uh...
???- Ah, come on, Gramps! Don't you remember?
C- Well, I do. That is Ham.
Ham- No, that is not...
PO- Ah, now I remember! His name is Ham!
H- No, that's not... Oh, forget it.
PO- Ok, your adventure is about to unfold. Go forth and multiply!
C- Eww.
PO- No, wait... Oh, here it is. Explore the world of Pokemon!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
TOTGA Pokemon Blue Prolouge

Professor Oak- Hello, and welcome to the world of Pokemon. I am Professor Oak. This is a Nidorino.
Nidorino- Nidorina!
Cheese- What the hell?!
PO- Moving on, people use Pokemon as pets, fights or as I like to do, test subjects. What is your name?
C- Umm... Cheese...
PO- Wha...
C- My mom, she got uncreative.
PO- Anyway... This is my grandson. His name is... uh...
???- Ah, come on, Gramps! Don't you remember?
C- Well, I do. That is Ham.
Ham- No, that is not...
PO- Ah, now I remember! His name is Ham!
H- No, that's not... Oh, forget it.
PO- Ok, your adventure is about to unfold. Go forth and multiply!
C- Eww.
PO- No, wait... Oh, here it is. Explore the world of Pokemon!

I like your style. The beginnings of these games make absolutely no sense.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
TOTGA Pokemon Blue Part 1

-Cheese: Hi, Mom.
-Mom: ...Right, all boys leave home someday. It said so on TV.
-C: Your kicking me out?!
-M: Yep.
Outside
-C: Damn it. What am I supposed to do now? Well, might as well go to Viridian City for some Pokeballs.
Grassy Area
-Professor Oak: STOP!!! *Tackles*
-C: AAAHHH! What the hell, Oak?
-PO: Were you hurt by the wild Pokemon?
-C: No, just a senile old man.
-PO: Good, follow me.
In the lab
-PO: This is my lab. These are my Pokemon.
-Ham: Gramps, I want Pokemon.
-PO: Wait your turn, child!
-C: Ok, I'll pick the Bulbasaur. Named Slave
-Slave: You are an ass.
-H: I'll take the Charmander. (Haha)
-C: Well, see ya, Ham. (Hehe)
-H: Wait, battle me, bro!
-C: Crap.
One sucky effort by a certain Bulbasaur later...
-H: Haha, smell ya later, loser!
-C: Well, that was a horrible effort, Slave.
-S: Shut up.
We're on the road to Viridian City!
-Pokemart Salesman: Hey, your from Pallet Town?
-C: How the hell did you know that?
-PS: Can you take this to Professor Oak for me?
-C: But really? I just... Fine. Lazy ass.
Back at the lab
-C: Oak, some package for you.
-PO: Thanks. Ah, my new balls are in!
-C: I hope to God you mean Pokeballs.
-H: Gramps, what did you want us for?
-PO: Oh, yeah. I need you to go on a potentially life threatening journey through the country, filling up an encyclopedia of dangerous creatures that could kill you. No big deal.
-H: Ok.
-C: Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa
End of Episode 1

Pokemon at end of part 1:

001.gif

Bulbasaur (Slave)
Lv. 5
19/10/11/10/12 (HP/Att./Def./Speed/Spec.)
Tackle
Growl
--
--
Personality: Jerk. Gr*******. Meaniepoo.

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2023
I will give this one a shot!

Name: XxHarryxX
Game: Leaf Green
Pokemon: rattata, pidgey, mankey, bellsprout, pikachu, jigglypuff, zubat, geodude, clefairy, sandshrew, diglett, meowth, drowzee, voltorb, machop, eevee, doduo, nidoran m, snorlax, venonat, nidoran f, rhyhorn, slowpoke, goldeen, tentacool, seek, vulpix, grimer, tangela, spearow, ponyta, staryu, magikarp, krabby, magnetite, cubone, kabuto, lapras, hitmolee, aerodactyl, squirtle, farfetch'd
Number: 5
Requirements: I can't trade, really. So at least one pokemon needs to be available before pewter city.

Alright! Let's do this!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Added XxHarryxX to the Challengers list. Keep the updates coming people - Slice of Cheese, yours are hilarious.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2012
TOTGA Pokemon Blue Part 2

-Cheese: Jeez, Slave, you're a real jerk.
-Slave: And you smell like my ass, but you don't see me complaining about it.
-C: Grr... THAT'S IT! You are being switced for the first thing I find in this goddamn grass!
Wild Meowth appears!
-C: Wait a second... Meowths aren't even found here
-The Slice of Cheese: I got lazy, now catch it.
-C: Fine.
You caught Meowth!
-C: I'll call you Whiskers.
-Whiskers: Alright.
-S: Man, you may be the most uncreative perso...
Slave stored (more like stuffed inhumanely) into Box 1
-C: Ok, Whiskers. Let's grind.
One grinding later...
-H: Hey, Cheese. That leads to the Pokemon League. You need 8 badges to go in, but I bet you don't have a single badge. Haha!
-C: Do you?
-H: ...
-C: Hehe!
-H: Just battle me already!
Vs. Ham
-H: Pidgey, Sand Attack!
-C: :king:
Pidgey fainted
-H: Crap! Go, Charmander!
-C: How is Charmander lower leveled than Pidgey?
-H: Shut up.
Cheese won!
-H: Well, you won't win next time! Smell ya later!
-W: Hey, where did that sand come from?
-C: I've learned not to question this world.
-W: I can't help it. This world is weird.
In the Viridian Forest
-Bug Catcher: I am here with my friends for bug Pokemon. If you find them, they might fight you.
-W: Why?
-BC: Well, duh. Why not?
Later...
-BC #3- How did I lose?
-C: Well, all you have is caterpillers and cocoons. They're not that good.
-W: Sweet! I learned Bite! Wait a second... I knew how to bite before...
Out of Viridian Forest
-C: Damn, that was kind of annoying.
-W: But easy.

End of Part 2

Pokemon after part 2

052.gif

Meowth (Whiskers)
36/18/16/30/17
Scratch
Growl
Bite
--
Personality: Questioner. Thinker. Realist.

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2023
Alright... so... first update, not that far in yet. All I have for now is a Squirtle (Who, ironically enough, was my starter of choice in the RBY days, but I hadn't used him yet in FRLG. Odd), since everything else is after Rock Tunnel.

- Picked Squirtle in Professor Oak's Lab
- Destroyed Red in a battle without having to use a potion
- Ventured to Viridian City and did the whole "Oak's Parcel" errand
- Grinded Squirtle to level 10 and beat Red on Route 22
- Went through Viridian Forest
- Got to Pewter City, beat the first trainer in the gym and Squirtle evolved to Wartortle
- Crushed Brock with a couple of Water Guns
- Got the running shoes from Oak's Aide
- Cleared Route 3, Mt. Moon, and Route 4
- Got to Cerulean City, found a hidden Rare Candy
- Beat Red again, though it was a close fight because Sand-Attack hates me.
- Cleared Nugget Bridge and the rest of Rt. 24 and 25.
- Visited Bill and got the SS Ticket
- Journeyed back to Cerulean, ready to fight Misty

Team: Wartortle Lv. 31 (Bite, Tackle, Water Gun, Withdraw)

The Sceptile King

Just came back from a break!
Years
Name:The Sceptile King
Game:Crystal
List of Pokemon that got away:
Squirtle line
Pidgey line
Ratata line
Spearow line
Clefairy line
Vulpix line
Jigglupuff line
Digglet line
Magnemite line
Drowsee line
Kraby line
Eggsecute line
Cubone line
Hitmonchan
Koffing line
Rhyhorn line
Chansey line
Chickorita line
Cyndaquil line
Chinchou line
Politoed
Aipom
Wooper line
Snubbul line
Heracross
Scizor
Tediursa line
Slugma line
Swinub line
Corsala
Skarmory
Houndour line
Phanpy line
Smeargle
Hitmontop
Larvaitar line

Number required:4
Any specific requirements:N/A

Years
Name:The Sceptile King
Game:Crystal
List of Pokemon that got away:
Squirtle line
Pidgey line
Ratata line
Spearow line
Clefairy line
Vulpix line
Jigglupuff line
Digglet line
Magnemite line
Drowsee line
Kraby line
Eggsecute line
Cubone line
Hitmonchan
Koffing line
Rhyhorn line
Chansey line
Chickorita line
Cyndaquil line
Chinchou line
Politoed
Aipom
Wooper line
Snubbul line
Heracross
Scizor
Tediursa line
Slugma line
Swinub line
Corsala
Skarmory
Houndour line
Phanpy line
Smeargle
Hitmontop
Larvaitar line

Number required:4
Any specific requirements:N/A

Take Ursaring, Houndoom , Wooper & Koffing. If houndoom is too late swap for cyndauil :)

Years
I was actually thinking of doing this challenge, and then I realized all the Pokemon that I wanted to go for a Poison monotype challenge with this. I'm not sure this is allowed, but there are 6 specific Pokemon that I've always wanted to use. The reason I want to do a mono on this thread and not the other one is the extra challenges I want to include here.

Name: Blitz
Game: All (Fire Red, Heart Gold, Emerald, Platinum, White)
List of Pokemon that got away: Beedrill, Nidoking, Vileplume, Gengar, Tentacruel, and Crobat
Number required: 6
Any specific requirements: I'm not starting with fully evolved forms, I will start off with the base forms of each.

Again, if this is not allowed and I have to pick from a wider range of Pokemon then I'll do so.

pkfire0

Merry Christmas From Blue
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2014
Name: Pkfire0
Game: Crystal
List of Pokemon that got away: Scyther Larvitar Dratini Cloyster Dunsparce Marowak Ditto Ampharos Quagsire Ponyta Zubat Espeon Noctowl Ariados Snubble Tentacool Kingdra Pincir Herracross
Number required: 5
Any specific requirements: Nope just going to hack one poke in after each gym

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Name: Pkfire0
Game: Crystal
List of Pokemon that got away: Scyther Larvitar Dratini Cloyster Dunsparce Marowak Ditto Ampharos Quagsire Ponyta Zubat Espeon Noctowl Ariados Snubble Tentacool Kingdra Pinsir Herracross
Number required: 5
Any specific requirements: Nope just going to hack one poke in after each gym
Take Dunsparce, Larvitar, Cloyster, Marowak, and Noctowl.

In other news, I'm putting my challenge on hold, SS is really slow and annoying, and I'm not enjoying it as much as the other challenges I'm doing. Hopefully I can get around to finishing it eventually.

For future reference, my team is Wailord, Aerodactyl, Froslass, Pachirisu, Hitmonchan, and Granbull.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
I was actually thinking of doing this challenge, and then I realized all the Pokemon that I wanted to go for a Poison monotype challenge with this. I'm not sure this is allowed, but there are 6 specific Pokemon that I've always wanted to use. The reason I want to do a mono on this thread and not the other one is the extra challenges I want to include here.

Name: Blitz
Game: All (Fire Red, Heart Gold, Emerald, Platinum, White)
List of Pokemon that got away: Beedrill, Nidoking, Vileplume, Gengar, Tentacruel, and Crobat
Number required: 6
Any specific requirements: I'm not starting with fully evolved forms, I will start off with the base forms of each.

Again, if this is not allowed and I have to pick from a wider range of Pokemon then I'll do so.

Seems reasonable to me, if those are the Pokemon you've always wanted to raise, then those are your Ones that Got Away. Go for it!

Added you and pkfire0 to the Challengers list. And The Sceptile King.

Sorry to hear your challenge isn't going too well jdthebud - hopefully you'll get round to it eventually :)

Years
Freakin' sweet man, thanks! I'll start right now.

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Yeah, that's the first part of my little run here. I'll post another part of it shortly.

Edit: Dude, I am so pumped right now. I just beat the gym leader Brock with a BEEDRILL. Poison Sting, String Shot, Harden, and Fury Attack.

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Yeah, I know the story made it seem like Randall went into Mt. Moon as a Nidoran, but I did a little off screen training before going in there. He evolved shortly before going into Mt. Moon and meeting Donna. By the way, if you guys could recommend any challenges for any Pokemon I have so far I'm open for suggestions here.

Edit 2: All right, since my last update I made immense progress through my challenge run. I won't be able to document what happened exactly and I couldn't possibly do it by memory. So I'm just going to show my team and describe any new Pokemon I catch.

Team:
Spoiler:

That's it for this update. Right now, I'm at the point where I have to go into the Rocket Hideout and fight the Rocket Boss Giovanni for the first time.

Edit 3: Once again, I have made immense progress (why does no one else post in this topic? lol). Right now I'm at Cinnabar and preparing to enter Pokemon Mansion to search for the key. The next update will have some story to it, but for now I can just update the team.

Team:
Spoiler:

As you can see, I added a bit of backstory for our final additions to the team. By the way, before anyone asks I am playing this on emulator and I did use VBA Link to aqcuire Gengar. Well, until the next update!

Edit 4:

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

I think I'm a bit over-leveled for Cinnabar Gym this time. We may or may not go after the legendary birds. I'll deal with that when I feel like it (not any time soon lol). Of course, there's going to be the whole fiasco with the Sevii Islands. I think I'll go there after I beat the 8th gym and the 7th(?) rival battle if I think I need training.

Edit 5:

Team:
Spoiler:

Pre-Viridian Gym
Spoiler:

Edit 5: Finally, I've beaten the Elite 4! It took only a little bit of grinding, but we've pulled through. It truly wasn't too much trouble, but it did take a few healing items.

Team:
Spoiler:

I also have photo evidence of my awesome team in the Hall of Fame. Now it's for more Sevii Isles junk after obtaining my national dex. And I only have 25 owned Pokemon entries... How fun.

Last edited:
Years
Hey guys I've had a ROM failure on both my HG and SS roms, they both crash like every 5 minutes so can I have a new team of 6 for crystal. Sprry for being a pain.

Spoiler:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
Years
Name: ~Hot n' Cold~
Game: All [Red / Silver / Emerald / Diamond / White]
List of Pokemon that got away: Torterra / Butterfree / Shedinja / Cryogonal / Castform / Stantler / Emboar / Solrock / Dunsparce / Beedrill / Rotom / Granbull / Shuckle / Mantime
Number required: 4
Any specific requirements: No

Years
Name: ~Hot n' Cold~
Game: All [Red / Silver / Emerald / Diamond / White]
List of Pokemon that got away: Torterra / Butterfree / Shedinja / Cryogonal / Castform / Stantler / Emboar / Solrock / Dunsparce / Beedrill / Rotom / Granbull / Shuckle / Mantime
Number required: 4
Any specific requirements: No

Red Team:Butterfree & Beedrill (You only put two so I couldn't give you a team of 4)
Silver:stantler,Granbull, Shuckle, Mantine
Emerald:Shedninja,Castform,Solrock,Mantine (I believe you can catch them).
Diamond:Torterra, Rotom, Butterfree, Stantler
White:Emboar, Crygonal, Dunsparce, Castform

If any of this isn't possible then just tell me what I've done wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back