• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Update on my challenge!

Last time, I left off with just Wartortle and was preparing to fight Misty. (BTW, I'm catching as many pokemon as I can - need it for the national dex and Sevii Islands quests)

- Beat her without problems. Bite worked wonders on Staryu/Starmie.
    - Beat the Rocket and obtained the Dig TM.

At this point, I am realizing that I need to start avoiding trainers as much as I can before getting new pokemon...

- Went towards Vermillion City, avoiding everyone that I could.
    - Completely cleared the SS Anne. Wartortle evolved to Blastoise.
    - Decided to skip the gym for now.
    - Grabbed the Bicycle from Cerulean City, and cut the bush east of town.
    - Cleared Route 9, 10, and Rock Tunnel, avoiding trainers along the way.
    - Caught Vulpix on Route 8.
    - Dodged trainers and reached Celadon City, and got Eevee from the mansion.
    - Got the tea from the mansion, gained access to Saffron City.
    - It was a pain, but Blastoise was able to clear the Fighting Dojo, and Hitmonlee was obtained.

Current Team:
    Vulpix lv. 19
    Hitmonlee Lv. 25
    Eevee Lv. 26
    Blastoise Lv. 41

Plan: Clear the Rocket Hideout and get the Silph Scope, so that Cubone can be obtained. Then clear all sorts of trainers that were missed up to this point.

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    So, it's been a while since I did an update for this and...I'm not really feeling the blog format or the personality challenge anymore so...um, I'm just going to write the rest of my updates the way I normally do. Eh-heh...Um, and the kimono girls are providing a major roadblock in Heart Gold and I really don't want to grind the 5-10 levels my team would need to be on par with them (heck, the horrible amount of grinding is the sole reason I haven't finished that game yet) so...um...if I post a list of second gen pokemon that got away, could I change that leg of the run to Crystal?

Six team members, one that can use surf please:

Spoiler:

-I left Celadon and headed into Saffron City
    -Beat my rival in Silph Co. and got Tessie the Lapras (why is he just standing there? Is he supposed to be a member of Team Rocket now?)
    -Utterly destroyed Giovanni's team
    -Visited Mr. Psychic and got a TM for Psychic, taught it to Tessie
    -Went to Fuschia City to get Surf, beat Koga while I was there
    -Ran back to Saffron to take on Sabrina, won easily

Team:
    Spr_3f_101.png

Rick/Electrode Lv.39
    Mild/Soundproof
    -Thunderbolt
    -Sonicboom
    -Shock Wave
    -Charge

Did most of the work against Sabrina, defeating her entire team except Alakazam.
    Spr_3f_131.png

Tessie/Lapras Lv.36
    Timid/Shell Armor
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Confuse Ray

Had a fair bit of use in Fuschia Gym, took on Koga alone.
    Spr_3f_107.png

Jackie/Hitmonchan Lv.35
    Rash/Keen Eye
    -Brick Break
    -Rock Slide
    -Mach Punch
    -Sky Uppercut

Saw a decent amount of use, mainly in Silph Co. Provided my first ever one hit KO against Giovanni's Kangaskhan. Forget what I said in my last update (as if anyone remembers that), Jackie's amazing...despite the not so diverse moveset.
    Spr_3f_038.png

Yoko/Ninetales Lv.36
    Serious/Flash Fire
    -Flamethrower
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Attract
    -Quick Attack

Was basically a go-to when I didn't have the right 'mon to deal with something. Flamethrower is insane. Took on Sabrina's Alakazam and won thanks to attract.
    Spr_3f_088.png

The Blob/Grimer Lv.36
    Adamant/Sticky Hold
    -Sludge
    -Secret Power
    -Dig
    -Screech

Was mainly used to beat up Rocket Grunts and random trainers on the way to Fuschia. Really want him to evolve soon...
    Spr_3f_122.png

Marceau/Mr. Mime Lv.41
    Bold/Soundproof
    -Psybeam
    -Magical Leaf
    -Substitute
    -Barrier

Didn't see much use this update because of how far ahead of everyone else he was.

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Alright, should be interesting. I just hope Ariados and Sunflora get a chance to do something with all the awesomeness in the rest of the team.

Your six can be...Octillery, Nidoqueen, Jynx, Ledian, Ursaring and Hitmontop.

Also, while I'm posting, here's another quick update:

-Ran back to Pallet Town because Fly is for wimps
    -Surfed to Cinnabar, did the Mansion bit
    -Took on the gym...the only trouble I actually had was with the normal trainers poisoning/burning Tessie, she easily took care of Blaine's team
    -Did the Sevii Islands bit, because free EXP.
    -Surfed back to Pallet Town and headed to Viridian City
    -Went through the gym, again only having problems with the normal trainers, because they don't seem to understand that they're in a ground type gym most of the time
    -Destroyed my rival on Route 22
    -Realised I forgot to swap the Gold Teeth for Strength >.<

Team:
    Spr_3f_101.png

Rick/Electrode Lv.40
    Mild/Soundproof
    -Thunderbolt
    -Sonicboom
    -Shock Wave
    -Charge

Didn't see much action...dealt with my rival's Pidgeot and knocked off half his Blastoise's health, but other than that, there wasn't really much he was needed for.
    Spr_3f_131.png

Tessie/Lapras Lv.42
    Timid/Shell Armor
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic
    -Confuse Ray

This is a water type, I took on the ground and fire gyms in this part. She was the star of the show.
    Spr_3f_107.png

Jackie/Hitmonchan Lv.41
    Rash/Keen Eye
    -Brick Break
    -Rock Slide
    -Mach Punch
    -Earthquake

Even if he isn't super effective against a lot of things, Jackie's brute strength is enough to be good against most opponents. Of course, after that last gym, he's got Earthquake, so type coverage shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    Spr_3f_038.png

Yoko/Ninetales Lv.40
    Serious/Flash Fire
    -Flamethrower
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Attract
    -Quick Attack

Didn't really do much with her in this part. I think she saw some use against the random Black Belts in Viridian Gym and she torched my rival's Alakazam, but other than that, there wasn't much need for her.
    Spr_3f_089.png

The Blob/Muk Lv.40
    Adamant/Sticky Hold
    -Sludge
    -Secret Power
    -Dig
    -Screech

Finally evolved! :D

He's got the highest attack on the team at the moment, 12 points ahead of Jackie. Although due to the fact that I'm not expecting his moveset to change much, except perhaps upgrading Sludge to Sludge Bomb and changing Secret Power to Brick Break, I think he still falls behind.
    Spr_3f_122.png

Marceau/Mr. Mime Lv.42
    Bold/Soundproof
    -Psybeam
    -Magical Leaf
    -Substitute
    -Light Screen

Again, he didn't see much use this update because of how far ahead of everyone else he was. They're mostly caught up now though. :D

And...I just noticed his moveset's said Barrier instead of Light Screen for a while now. >.<

Last edited:
    Years
  • Octillery, Nidoqueen, Jynx, Ledian, Ursaring and Hitmontop.-I'll confirm this team and shall start ASAP.

The Grind
    -Started with Cyndaquil (Feel bad for making rival start with Chikorita)
    -Caught a Ledyba, called it LadyPawnch.
    -Grinded Santa to Level .
    -Caught a Teddiursa, called it King Ted
    -Did Sprout Tower.
    -Defeted Faulkner using LadyPawnch's Tackle on Pidgey and KingTed's Scratch on Pidgeotto.

TEAM REPORT
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    -I ran back to get Strength
    -Eventually got through Victory Road
    -Beat the Elite Four (Um...but that was last night, so I don't really remember it clearly, eh-heh
    -Took a break for the night then caught/grinded over a box worth of pokemon to get the quest to rematch the Elite Four
    -Eventually got the 60 pokedex entries needed, ugh...

Team:
    Spoiler:

----------------
    Anyway, since I've got about 15-20 levels of grinding before I can take on the Elite Four rematch...Um, I'm going to start Crystal so I don't go insane.

I started the game and chose the female trainer. I named myself Tachi. I chose Totodile as my starter for HM reasons and set off to mr. Pokemon's house. You all know the drill, I went there and got the egg and pokedex, Elm got robbed, I curbstomped the redheaded stepchild. Anyway, pokeballs!

I caught my first team member, Peter the Spinarak. After beating all the trainers on the way to Violet Town with minimal help from Totodile, I took on Sprout Tower. Peter quad-resisted vine whip, they didn't resist poison sting, obvious outcome is obvious. Beat all the monks and the elder. Flash get!

I was...kinda worried about the gym to be honest, even though Peter was level 13 by this point. Fortunately, he didn't faint once. Pidgey was easy enough to defeat and Pidgeotto...well, given that I'm using a bug type and he's using a flying type that shouldn't have evolved for another 9 levels, I'm not going to feel guilty about getting a lucky poison on the first sting and then spamming potions 'til he fainted. Zephyr Badge getto da ze!

I headed south and got the Miracle Seed. I dodged all the trainers on my way to the Union Cave. Once I got there, I caught Sandy the Sandshrew. I taught her Mud-Slap and went back to beat all the trainers on the previous route and through the cave.

Once I reached Azalea Town, I spoke to Kurt. He told me to go to the well, where we easily defeated Team Rocket. Nothing really stood a chance at this point against Sandshrew's attack stat and Swift.

So, with yet another curbstomp under my belt, I headed to the gym. It was, fairly simple. Much easier than it was in Heart Gold. The trainers never really put up a fight and Bugsy's team went down easily. Peter swept him with Night Shade. Hive Badge get!

I went west towards the Ilex Forest and was stopped again by the redheaded stepchild. Gastly went down easily to Sandy's Mud-Slap, Bayleef fell to Peter's Night Shade and Zubat was given a Swift defeat.

After that, I made my way into the forest, helped recapture a runaway Farfetch'd and got the HM 01 Cut for my troubles. I caught an Oddish to use that and Flash and headed through towards Goldenrod City. I picked up a TM for Headbutt on the way and taught it to Sandy.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Anyone for Fried Eggs
    -Got Lunch from Prof Elm Aide.
    -Headed South to Union Cave.
    -Got through Union Cave, arrived in Azaela Town.
    -Went to see Kurt, did the Slowpoke's Well Storyline.
    -Lunch htched into a Togepi :( and I was hungry too.
    -Took on Bugsy. Defeated him using LadyPawnch's Comet Punch against Metapod, King Ted's Fury Swipes on Scyther and Kakuna. Got the Hivex Badge and Fury Cutter TM.

TEAM REPORT
    Spoiler:

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    It's amazing how many times I had to reset to get the odd egg to hatch into what I needed. I must've reset through at least three Elekids, Igglybuffs, Cleffas and Tyrogues...probably three or four shinies.

So, with my new Magby, Maggey, I did some grinding. Part way through the grinding session, I caught Sunny the Sunkern. After that there was a little bit more grinding, then we headed into the gym.

Beat Whitney first go without much difficulty. Sunny almost took Clefairy down, but a lucky Sacred Fire took him out of action a turn or two before the KO. Miltank was no challenge after Sandy mud-slapped her a few times.

After Whitney was soundly trounced, I went north, met a young girl and saw a weird tree. After getting the squirtbottle from Goldenrod, Sunny fought and defeated Sudowoodo. The imitation tree proving no match for the seed(?)'s Mega Drain.

With that little diversion out of the way, I made my way to Ecruteak City. I went to the dance studio and battled the kimono girls. Half way through the gauntlet, Sandy evolved. Yay~! After finishing them off, I got HM 3, surf.

I went into Burned Tower and met Eusine and 8-bit Solid Snake Morty. After a quick chat, I headed a bit deeper into the tower, where I encountered and soundly thrashed the redheaded stepchild again, Peter evolved after the 'fight'. Then I unleashed the legendary beasts.

I headed over to Olivine and caught Edison the Chinchou. While I was there, I decided to battle my way up the lighthouse. Once I reached the top I found out that the pokemon in charge of keeping the light going was sick and that it needed some medicine, unfortunately I didn't have Morty's badge, so I had to leave it to suffer for a bit longer.

I easily defeated the Ecruteak Gym, mainly due to Sandy's Mud-slap. One badge and TM that I can't use later, I headed back to Olivine. I surfed over to Cianwood, saw Suicune again and soundly beat Eusine in a battle.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    Name: Slash Arena
    Game: Pokemon Leaf Green
    List of Pokemon that got away: Sandslash - Ninetales - Wigglytuff - Vileplume - Dugtrio - Persian - Golduck - Poliwrath - Tentacruel - Slowbro - Dewgong - Kingler - Executor - Seadra - Mr. Mime - Lapras - Vaporeon
    Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Could i please have at least 1 Pokemon around the first gym (i'm using a cartridge)

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Name: Slash Arena
    Game: Pokemon Leaf Green
    List of Pokemon that got away: Sandslash - Ninetales - Wigglytuff - Vileplume - Dugtrio - Persian - Golduck - Poliwrath - Tentacruel - Slowbro - Dewgong - Kingler - Executor - Seadra - Mr. Mime - Lapras - Vaporeon
    Any specific requirements: Could i please have at least 1 Pokemon around the first gym (i'm using a cartridge)

Hmm. As far as I'm aware (Nuzlocking LG at the moment) none of those are catchable before the first Gym, so why don't you keep your starter (make it Bulbasaur or Squirtle for sake of ease) until after the 1st Gym, then you can switch in your Ones that Got Away team members?

Speaking of which, take Ninetales, Slowbro, Sandslash, Poliwrath, Wigglytuff and Exeggutor. Apologies that there's quite a lot of doubled-up types in there, but there wasn't a huge amount of choice!

Updated the Challengers list as far as I could tell was necessary. Enjoy your challenges people, keep those updates a-comin'...

Years
  • Spoiler:

I'd like to start a Crystal run.. with the list quoted above.. :)
    I'd like 6 Pokemon. If I could get 1 of each of the elemental types (grass, fire, water) that would rock.

My other game for Ruby froze and wouldn't start again.. (I think the ROM crashed) so that one's on hold...

Years
  • Here you go WWB :)
    Vaporeon
    Tangela
    Cyndaquil(evolutionary line)
    Yanma
    Primeape
    Muk

UPDATE
    The Mystery Egg.
    -Fought SILVER and defeated him using KingTed's Lick on Gastly, Lady Pawnch's Comet Punch on Zubat and King Ted's Fury Swipes on Croconaw.
    -Got Cut.
    -LadyPawnch evolved into Ledian.
    -Made my way through Ilex Forrest, got the Mystery Egg.
    -Walked through Goldenrod City ,went to National Park, caught myself a Nidoran F, called her Avatar.
    -Ground Avatar up to Level 15. Went to take on Whitney's Gym.
    -Defeated Whitney using Avatar's Double Kick on Clefairy and LadyPawnch's ThunderPunch on Miltank. Got the Plain Badge and Attract TM.

TEAM REPORT
    Spoiler:

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    The next time I got the chance to play, it was nighttime. So I went back to the mainland to catch Rudolf the Stantler. While I was there I caught a Raticate and got HM04, Strength.

Returning to Cianwood, I beat Chuck and his cronies easily. Sandy annihilated his Primeape and Sunny and Edison teamed up against Poliwrath.

I headed back to Olivine City, healed Amphy and got Jasmine to return to her gym. Soon after that, I destroyed her team. Peter's dig dealt with her first Magnemite, Edison handled Steelix easily and Sandy one shotted the second Magnemite with Mud-Slap.

Realising that there was pretty much no content for this update, I decided to go East to continue the story. Once I reached Mahogany Town, I went North to the Lake of Rage. I defeated the red Gyarados, which gave Edison enough experience to evolve!

After meeting Lance, I headed back to town and utterly annihilated the Team Rocket members making a base in a local store. Once I was done there, I ran back to the National Park to get a Sun Stone and evolved Sunny.

Team:
    Spoiler:

In other news, I noticed that the rules say the challenge ends when the Elite Four is beaten at their highest levels and that Red's optional. Does that mean I don't have to do Kanto?

Oh, and sorry for the lack of opinions. I kinda wrote this up a couple of days ago. Um, I'm very happy with how everyone's performing. Even Peter and Sunny.

Years
  • I'm Cracking Myself
    -Did the whole Sudowoodo Saga.
    -Arrived in Ecruteak, took on the Kimono Girl's and got Surf.
    -Went to Burnt Tower and took on Silver.
    -Defeated Silver using King Ted's Mud Slap on Haunter, Rock Smash on Magnemite & LadyPawnch's ThunderPunch on Zubat and Croconaw.
    -Did the three dogs thing.
    -Took on Ecruteak Gym.
    -Defeated Morty using Teddy's Lick on Gastly, Haunter #1 and Haunter #2 & King Ted's Mud Slap on Gengar. Got the Fog Badge and Shadow Ball TM.

TEAM REPORT
    Spoiler:

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Leaf Green: Final Update

-one annoying sidequest and several hours of grinding later, elite four rematches!

Vs. Lorelei:
    Spoiler:

Vs. Bruno:
    Spoiler:

Vs. Agatha:
    Spoiler:

Vs. Lance:
    Spoiler:

Vs. Gary:
    Spoiler:

GAME OVER!

Final Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Good job tachikaze316, I've updated the Challengers and Champions lists. Only two left until you're the first Ultimate Champion!

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
    Years
  • Name: Pokepokemo
    Game: Emerald
    List of pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Requirements: I prefer to have a water type thrown in there, since the awesome surf isn't something I like to waste :)

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    I'm assuming you want six team members, if that's too many just choose from these: Walrein, Granbull, Scizor, Hitmontop, Sceptile and Dusclops.

Remembering something, I went North from Mahogany town and got Sludge Bomb. In the following gym, Peter one-shotted Pryce's Seel with it, Dewgong put up a bit of a fight until I remembered that Edison has spark and Piloswine was taken down by Maggey with two fire punches.

I easily beat the Rockets in the main part of the radio tower, annihilated the redheaded stepchild's team, rescued the manager and finished off Team Rocket once and for all.

Maggey evolved on the way to Blackthorn City, where I promptly destroyed Clair's team. Unfortunately, I apparently didn't have anything that could learn whirlpool apart from Edison, so I headed back to Ecruteak and caught SLAAAAAAAAAAVE the Suicune. So much resetting...

Went back into the Dragon's Den and got my badge before heading to the Indigo Plateau via New Bark Town.

Again, I easily beat the redheaded stepchild's team. Before undertaking some rather intense grinding.

Pre-Elite Four Team:
    Spoiler:

And with that out of the way, it was Elite Four time~!

Vs Will:
    Spoiler:

Vs Koga:
    Spoiler:

Sigh, almost a clean sweep of one hit KOs.

Vs Bruno:
    Spoiler:

The first actually troublesome fight of the Elite Four.

Vs Karen:
    Spoiler:

And back to being easy.

Vs Lance:
    Spoiler:

I should probably feel bad for going back to using items in battle for this last fight but...I don't. Lance cheats, so using items is fair game.

Elite Four, defeated! :D

Final Team, as above with an extra two levels to Edison and one extra for Maggey and Sandy.

Final thoughts:
    MVP: Edison. Maggey's a close second though.
    LVP: Sunny. Sunflora are kinda useless though, so it was to be expected.
    One Trick Pony: No one comes to mind.
    One I would use again: Magmar, Lanturn, heck, they were all either really impressive and fun or...didn't see enough play for me to be certain of their badness.

I assume it's not actually over until I finish the Kanto gyms though, right?

In any case, since that shouldn't take too long, here's my final list.

Game: Pokemon Black
    Specific requirements: Type variety.
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:
    [/FONT]

...Ehehe, sorry it's so long, but there were so many I didn't get to use so far and this is the last chance. Um, unless I do the challenge again. Or just use them in a normal playthrough...In any case, final leg of my Ones That Got Away challenge, those are all the ones that got away...yeah.

pokepokemo

The RPing Challenger!
    Years
  • Ok I'll start right away, Using all 6!
    But I'll hack in Scizor (Can't trade and have no metal coat) , Hitmontop (Not patient enough to figure out the equilibrium between attack and defense) and Snubbul!
    I guess my emerald will finish if Steven is at long last defeated!

And you have this team!
    Milotic, Torterra, Accelgor, Audino, Honchkrow and Chandelure!
    How's that team, eh?

Edit:
    First update
    Named self Shiro
    I got my beloved starter that will be my first pokemon :) Named him Ao
    I had to adjust my clock first, stupidly enough......
    Met my neighbor, May and her family. I ran of outside afterwards. Prof. Birch didn't have enough in him to just run and grab a pokeball to fight zigzagoon, so i fought for him.
    After some talking and fighting, I received my pokeballs, interesting stuff those, being able to shrink huge pokemon the size of skyscrapers to fit in your pocket. :P
    AFter some hacking, I got my 3 more pokemon, Aka the Scizor, Momo the Snubull and Macho the Hitmontop
    Got to petalburg and helped Wally catch Ralts. Always wondered how he leveled up Ralts.... Did he growl his enemies to death?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    @pokepokemo - you're on the Challengers list. Enjoy!

@tachikaze316 - I actually hadn't realised there were no E4 rematches in Generation II. The rules state that you have to beat the E4 at their highest level, so you've already done that, and your Crystal leg is complete! Well done. One more game and you're our first Ultimate Champion... I've added you to the list for Black, which should take a bit longer as beating the E4 at their highest levels means the challenge is complete when you beat Alder. Enjoy!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back