• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Should there be a GBC remake of Gen 1?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    And you're right. The Crystal sprites are pretty damn good. (though Tyranitar could've been improved IMO)

I don't think Tyranitar got a truly "badass" sprite until DPP, IMO.

I did some looking around and it seems the lack of graphic improvements was criticized even back then. FRLG had some neat stuff like the Pokémon Centers but some of the tiles were barely changed at all compared to Crystal.

Too much of the Gen 3 graphics, in general, felt like 16-bit revamps of GSC graphics (which was painfully obvious in Rusturf Tunnel, in particular), when the GBA was capable of far more (as many hacks on this very site have proven).

Some Pokémon had pretty bad colors, like Gyarados, but some of the stances were better than Crystal IMO (again, Gyarados).

Ironically, Gyarados' best 8-bit sprite might actually be its Red and Blue sprite. It looks very powerful and imposing (as it should be), and not all squished/skinny/wonky.

Gyarados' best sprite, overall, is the HGSS one, IMO. Great, imposing stance and nice coloring and shading.

I really don't think FRLG would've been interesting to remake on the DS unless they've made some significant changes to the game, like adding a device like the PokéGear or the PokéNav or the Pokétch to make use of the lower screen. The changes we discussed via PM would've been a good start, though.

Well, I think being on the DS would've forced them to make more significant changes to the game. The DS had its own built-in clock, so there wouldn't have been any excuse to leave out Day/Night or even, berry trees, for example. The dual screen probably would also forced them to implement a cell phone-type device, possibly even the Pokégear, itself (as Kanto and Johto are connected). And, we might've gotten following Pokémon here instead of HGSS (which would've been more appropriate, anyways, as it was a Gen 1 game that introduced the feature to begin with). And, the graphics and music would've certainly been better.

Although, most certainly a 1st gen remake would delay 2nd gen remakes... I doubt GF would want two sets of remakes in the same gen, especially since they wanted to promote Sinnoh and its new Pokémon, too.

It might've worked if they had extended Gen 4 to cover the DS' entire lifespan and saved BW for the 3DS. Have a "Gen 4, Part 1" that included DP and FRLG and a "Gen 4, Part 2" that included DP sequels and HGSS.

If not that, they could've always just done HGSS in Gen 5 (even if it possibly meant getting Grey instead of B2W2). This way, the remakes would've nicely paralleled the originals, handheld-wise, with FRLG being DS games and HGSS being DS games that were DSi-enhanced (like how Red/Blue were GB games and Gold/Silver were GB games that were GBC-enhanced).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Personally, i would've liked combination of two games....RedGold and BlueSilver....their both too interconnected not to combine.

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
    Years
  • Dude. Look at skeetendo. In there was patch for Pokemon Red which give you full colorization and Battle sprites in GSC style. Music stay like in "vanila" version. So... It was GSC style Pokemon R/B <Yellow not now>

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i'm playing Blue right now and it feels even better than i could ever hope. it still has the original battle effects which makes it still eel like gen 1.

Years
  • I wouldn't mind a hack or remake. Going back and playing Red / Blue is outstanding. I just hate a lot of the sprites in the game. To the point where it almost ruins it for me. I have no idea how to patch games, as I found a patch that updates the sprites to something less grotesque, but I couldn't get it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I actually like the gen 1 sprites and instead of a remake I'd rather have a rebalanced version. Unfortunately Gen 1 hacking tools are really lackluster and I don't have the patience to teach myself the basics of Gen 1 hacking using a hex editor...

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I actually like the gen 1 sprites and instead of a remake I'd rather have a rebalanced version. Unfortunately Gen 1 hacking tools are really lackluster and I don't have the patience to teach myself the basics of Gen 1 hacking using a hex editor...

that's a first...i really hate the sprites, especially the back sprites. most don't look too bad, but some just aren't great. not only that, but the trainer sprites don't appeal to me aswell....in a nostalgic way it keeps me from hating it completely, but then agian, knowing even back then that gen 1 had the potential to have good front and back sprites irritates me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I wouldn't mind a hack or remake. Going back and playing Red / Blue is outstanding. I just hate a lot of the sprites in the game. To the point where it almost ruins it for me. I have no idea how to patch games, as I found a patch that updates the sprites to something less grotesque, but I couldn't get it.

Are you thinking of this patch? Just download/install a program called Lunar IPS and then, click on the patch. It'll tell you to select a ROM to patch, so click on a clean Red ROM (or, Blue... it'll work with either), and bingo! It's very easy to do. :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanks for linking to my hack. If you're looking for a more GSC-style experience in RB, check out the brand new V2.0. My hack now includes the Crystal audio engine and plays all the Crystal music throughout Kanto.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • What generation 1 (and 2) actually needs is either an NES or an N64 remake (use Colosseum as a basis) that is actually based on generation 1 and 2 (so not like FR/LG, HG/SS, OR/AS, etc). I'm not sure if there's anyone really capable of pulling either off, but those are the only real options.

Well, there actually is a Chinese Bootleg NES Yellow Rom in English... since it's not commercial and technically homebrew, I'm fairly certain I could provide you with a copy of it.

This is why FRLG exist. Although it's more updated then the GSC, there's not a total extreme difference.

I'm a FireRed hacker. FRLG is missing a lot of the audiovisual appeal of the old metal gen games... and really, the graphics weren't so great.

Personally, i would've liked combination of two games....RedGold and BlueSilver....their both too interconnected not to combine.

Reading through this thread it just seems so obvious to me. This should be a hack. A hack of Crystal presumably, to keep the animated sprites, where you play through the entire R/G/B/Y Kanto story with day and night, the music should remain faithful to the original games as to what theme plays in what town... but after you defeat the Elite 4, a new story through Johto as Red. At the end of the game, fight Gold? I mean, sure, it's supposed to be a few years later that Gold fights Red on top of Mount Silver, but for the sake of an epic rom hack, it could really work out.

I support this idea fully.

Years

• Well, there actually is a Chinese Bootleg NES Yellow Rom in English... since it's not commercial and technically homebrew, I'm fairly certain I could provide you with a copy of it.

I'm a FireRed hacker. FRLG is missing a lot of the audiovisual appeal of the old metal gen games... and really, the graphics weren't so great.

Reading through this thread it just seems so obvious to me. This should be a hack. A hack of Crystal presumably, to keep the animated sprites, where you play through the entire R/G/B/Y Kanto story with day and night, the music should remain faithful to the original games as to what theme plays in what town... but after you defeat the Elite 4, a new story through Johto as Red. At the end of the game, fight Gold? I mean, sure, it's supposed to be a few years later that Gold fights Red on top of Mount Silver, but for the sake of an epic rom hack, it could really work out.

I support this idea fully.

Gonna have to agree, they kind of make me want to throw up after a while when i'm on ROM, but on a GBA it's not extremely bad.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • Although I would personally enjoy such a concept, it wouldn't do much in the commercial era. I could envision 3DS versions instead. GBC was impressive for 1998-2000, so 3DS is the best bet.

Unless you're a fan of Gen2 and would love those remakes, I fully agree with that.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I'm actually surprised that there isn't one yet. The closest one is Mateo's Secrets and Rumours which is almost like a Gen 1 remake, but it's inactive.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    It would probably take a LOT of work but I could see this being done fanmade. I don't believe that Gamefreak would ever do this personally, and I would be pissed if they took the time to do it. I would rather see a brand new Pokemon game or remake of Diamond and Pearl before this.

RaidenRaider

I WILL Catch'em ALL!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2020
    I'm doing something similar, but in Gen I using the Red disassembly and the RedPlusPlus disassembly, with permission from Mateo. It's called Red251, keeps the player in Kanto, features the Berries, Baby Pokemon, Wonder Trade, and 251 Pokemon from R/B/G/Y and G/S/C.

Just working on the final maps, which I need help with, and am currently Alpha testing it, before I release anything.

Back