• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you hide your love of Pokemon from other people?

Years
  • I don't hide it, but I don't play in public either. A lot of people will judge you for playing/watching Pokemon. There is this girl in my university that played Pokemon once and I heard some *** making fun of her. I don't get it actually. >:(

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I don't hide it, and honestly, it would be to much work to do anyway. though like a lot of the people here, I dont openly express my love for it. also, I usually have conversations with friends about pokemon every once and awhile, so if I was to try and hide it I would have a lot of trouble doing so haha.

Years
  • I won't go around and tell everyone I meet "OMG I LOVE POKEMON SO MUCH!!", but I won't try and hide it. Pokemon's one of my biggest interests, so I'll wear clothing, play the games out in public areas, and so forth. Besides, if I hid it, then I wouldn't be able to meet other people who enjoy Pokemon, and I really do need to make friends irl, haha ;w;

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Kind of, but not really?

I'd deny to people (except a very close friend of mine who's also huge on Pokemon) that I write fanfiction, but otherwise I'm pretty up front about being a fan of Pokemon. The thing is, Pokemon doesn't really alter my RL identity much. I own plenty of the games, but none of the merchandise; I take a critical eye to the anime and find it lacking, and I take the same critical eye to the games and find them excellent. Don't see a reason to hide it, but I don't think my interest in it really makes me much different than the average college student.

(When it comes to how I dress/act in public, my identity is much more altered by my true love: http://goo.gl/IVhsKq, the team, not the player, however dashing the player is.)

Also let's face it, if you find yourself in college and can't find people to talk about Pokemon with, you're not looking hard enough. :D

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Pffff dude, you should see my room if you're wondering whether I hide it or not.

Welcome, by the way!

But yeah as I was saying my room has Pokemon stuff scattered all over it, head to toe. I am very unconcerned with what others think about my hobby since I'm going to love Pokemon whether they like it or not. I've loved Pokemon since episode 1 of the anime release and I'm not about to stop now. :P I also have some Pokemon shirts that I like to wear too, public or not.

My mom likes to tease me about my love for Pokemon but it's mostly just a harmless jest or two. I don't mind though. She mostly just has a good giggle over it. XD

Years
  • It's more that I don't mention it. I don't hide it, but I don't center my "me" around liking Pokemon or Anime or Video Games.

If someone asks me if I like Pokemon I'm not gonna lie. But I think that many people are still shy or I guess think it's socially unacceptable and that's why they don't mention their "nerd" hobbies/interests.

But it's kinda nice that for the past couple of years people are more and more accepting. At least thanks to the internet people that are simply shy can still meet people and make friends with hobbies(like this forum) such as theirs.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Yes, considering I live in a really rough area, I will hide my love for Pokemon. However, if I go abroad then I really don't care, because I've even played Pokemon on the street or in a Café in Spain. Met a few people in Spain which I've talked about pokemon with.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's more that I don't mention it. I don't hide it, but I don't center my "me" around liking Pokemon or Anime or Video Games.

If someone asks me if I like Pokemon I'm not gonna lie. But I think that many people are still shy or I guess think it's socially unacceptable and that's why they don't mention their "nerd" hobbies/interests.

But it's kinda nice that for the past couple of years people are more and more accepting. At least thanks to the internet people that are simply shy can still meet people and make friends with hobbies(like this forum) such as theirs.
    Yes, this post is so much win. Internet saved me ;;

I suppose it's like you say, I don't hide it much anymore because there's not that much to hide anymore; my pokémon activities mostly encompasses being a mod on PokéCommunity, honestly. I don't even play the games much or read the manga regularly anymore. So if someone asks me if I like pokémon, I'll certainly respond with naming some of my favorite species ;) I think I've done that actually. Go me!

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Not in the slightest, I'm very open with it with my family and friends. Everyone at college knows about it and I have a friend at college that likes Pokémon too so I get my fill of discussing the newest stuff with her. I couldn't care less what people think, I wear my Kanto t shirt and ash cap with pride! lol.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • Okay so I get all these Pokémon games, but my parents don't realize how much I love it. However my brother Robert and several of my friends are with me into the Pokémon business. We're all that secretive about it, really. (Marcus wanted to give me a shoutout to him here. He is typing up an epic Pokemon fanfiction right now!)

Years
  • I've gotten to the point in life where I don't really take silly criticisms from other people related to my hobbies too serious anymore. I am very open about it with my group of friends and when people bring it up.

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I definitely hide the fact that I adore the Pokémon franchise. My friends think that the games are for babies who enjoy watching 'dumb little cartoons' fight each other. Therefore, I own hardly any merchandise related to Pokémon, nor do I ever mention it to anyone. It would be nice to meet a normal person who shares my love for Pokémon, but that is unlikely.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Nah, it's not anyone's business what I like, and what I don't.

That being said, my friends are very accepting of my interests, and some of them even send me Pokémon-related pics they find on the net.

Tolkin

Meowstic
    Years
  • I don't hide my interest for pokemon, but I don't need to go around telling people I LOVE POKEMON. Im a senior in high school, and people already know how much I love Pokemon. I wear my Lucario/Pichu hat all the time at school (which is how people know me).

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    I used to think that if my friends came over and everything i should hide all pokemon related material, now i could care less about what people think(Heck i spend alot of times trying to make since of the pokemon universe!)

Years
  • I have honestly never hidden my love for Pokémon. My first best friend (I was probably, like, 3 or 4 when I met here) would sit and watch Pokémon for hours. We would lay on her huge Charmander plush and [attempt] to do card battles with a special deck of cards that I still have today. Point is, I grew up a Pokémon lover.

All of my friends know I'm a Pokémon fanatic, hell, my Chemistry teacher and I argue over who could beat who in a Pokémon battle.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    I use to hide it in primary school but when I went to secondary I met about 7 people who loved it as much as me and we did and still do talk about it loads! so I have never hide my love for it that long.

Years
  • I used to hide the fact that I loved Pokemon, mainly because a teenage girl isn't exactly praised to play a 'boy's game', and my mom didn't think it was a good idea. Eh. I don't really care anymore, I love doing it so I don't mind what people say. {:3}

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    Nope! I love pokemon, and my friends accept it, and some play it. there isn't any shame in showing off or being proud of what you like

Back