• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinion on competitive battling?

Thoughts on Competitive battling?

• I enjoy it!

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • I dislike it.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • You suck Chimchar

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011

Yes they may be enjoying the games, however they simply cast aside any pokemon that does not have the right natures or IVs. I used to breed for natures for a short time, however I found that it took the fun out of the game for me and stopped with the whole EVing thing...

Meh.. "cast aside" could also be "release back into the wild," depending on your point of view. I understand how it can get boring, but to me it's exciting and a new challenge. I guess I find it fun partly because I'm new to it. :3

edit: Also, I've caught all the legendaries, beat Red, and did almost everything there is to do with the game's plot (I still have to do gym leader rematches). Now that I'm done with the main elements of the game, I still want to play it.. so I find this a nice way to get all I can out of the game.

Last edited:

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I dont go EV training, I just run into random grass and kill wild pokemon with my pokemon. :D

I think thats still EV training LOL

Sometimes EV training can be fun. XD Competitive battling is more funner.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    I wanted to vote for You Suck Chimchar Dick, just because it was an option.

You make good points in your post, but seriously, is this^^ REALLY necessary??

You know i understand where you're coming from with you know, treating your pokes normally and such, and honestly that's okay, it's just a game. Whenever i raise a team, it's usually a team i wana build with different pokes of my choice for in-game and for online, i mean i ALWAYS have swampert on my team, not because he's good or in another abbreviation OU in that respect, but because i really like him as a poke.

Anyways, the majority of people who battle usually have that elitist attitude because they just want to win, simple and straight out. When battling online, it's not really about putting a team of favorites together, it's mostly about just using what would work the best for a victory in a battle. And pokemon is a deep game, you can have different kinds of team strategies and different movesets(lol strategies and movesets =P) but really the team you want to use is up to you. Hey if you wana go the karen route and use your favorites go right ahead, nobody is stopping you. I usually figure out my own sets on what would work against other teams just through sheer experience. But the fact remains your guna face people who are elitist, use nothing but smogon sets, you know, and that's just life, you gotta deal with it. This also comes into play when your wrong about a fact with the metgame(the current state of the game i should say) such as so and so poke does this to so and so, and someone corrects you about it stating your wrong n such (i will admit though going so far as to call a PERSON bad really is taking it too serious, it's okay if they say your strategy is bad since it's just game-related and they'll fix it up for you anyway), you shouldn't take it so hard, you should actually LEARN from how they are correcting you, and think about it for a bit, nothing in life is free, or easy, especially when there's competition on the line.

In a way smogon(since were mainly talking about that site) promotes people to competitive battle to check out the deeper aspects of the game. Sure it's hard to understand at first but once you read up on it and understand the mechanics of it and start battling you'd realize for the most part it's kind of fun. And it's your choice whenever you want to stop battling, like i said, nobodies forcing you to do anything, it's just therre for the full potential of the aspects of the game with movesets, EV's, IV's and Hidden Power, Natures, Team Placements, and maybe even reading up on smogons sets might give you ideas for your own sets, and you should read up on them anyway to see what people will be using. I hope i helped you change your perspective on the competitive battling scene since while it's not perfect, it's a pretty good community when compared to other communities i know...

TheGinger63

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • Meh.. "cast aside" could also be "release back into the wild," depending on your point of view. I understand how it can get boring, but to me it's exciting and a new challenge. I guess I find it fun partly because I'm new to it. :3

edit: Also, I've caught all the legendaries, beat Red, and did almost everything there is to do with the game's plot (I still have to do gym leader rematches). Now that I'm done with the main elements of the game, I still want to play it.. so I find this a nice way to get all I can out of the game.

What i meant by taking the fun out of it was that if you battle someone or you are someone without EVd Pokemon then it will be a downright slaughter. I like it better when people dont take the super seriously and just raise a team they consider to be powerful or just a team of their favorites.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011

What i meant by taking the fun out of it was that if you battle someone or you are someone without EVd Pokemon then it will be a downright slaughter. I like it better when people dont take the super seriously and just raise a team they consider to be powerful or just a team of their favorites.

I actually agree with this..

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Uh no, that is horrible logic. Thats like saying "oh you you got shot because you let it happen" like you can prevent it lol ?

Please explain to me then how you stop sleep inducers with no sleep clause good sir ? Every single member of your team is getting slept, no questions asked if its a well played Spore or Hypnosis alike. I don't think you realize how deadly that is, Sleep is basically a ko as it disables a Pokemon totally. Dont bring up ass abilities like vital spirit, every single user of that ability gets wasted by Brelooms/stuff like Gengars STAB/secondary moves. Putting Lum and Chesto Berry on everything is also a dumb reason so dont bring that up because i mean ill just Sleep you again and it wastes item slots that can be put to much better use. Rest Talk on everything ? Yeah sure but stalling with those just asks for crits and getting worn down due to the fact you cant stop every sleep inducer with rest talkers, there are just too many inducers to cover youd have to dedicate nearly all 6 slots just to cover sleep inducers or risk getting KO'd be super effective moves they carry.

A. It centralizes the game around trying to sleep and trying to stop it.
    B. No sleep clause adds nothing positive to the game. A balanced game is what people want and what smogon and every other competitive battling site strives to achieve, taking away sleep clause doesn't contribute to this.

Lastly, accuracy of Hypnosis is a moot point. 60% chance to take out/disable a team member totally? Yes please. (Just to clarify you CAN sleep more than one time during a match just the Pokemon has to wake up or be ko'd before you can sleep something again aka one poke at a time)

"Well jee i wonder why smogon members pick on people" lol ~___~

Hey Dark Azelf, are you addressing me or that other guy? :)

Since I was the one who brought up the issue most recently, I'll go ahead and answer your question.

Before I say anything though, despite what I said earlier, I DO definitely get why there are Sleeper Clauses amongst other things.

(Yes, I very much know that Sleep knocks out a Pokemon from being able to do anything for X number of Turns and makes them an easy target for a real KO and I also know that Sleep can be induced in multiple Pokemon in a row if one were so lucky to have Hypnosis work so many times in a row.)

Also, thank you very much for your clarification on the Sleeper Clause (re: Sleep can be used again after the previously Sleeping Pokemon has awoken).

So.

Let's say I brought out a Sleeper who happens to be a Ghost-type and my opponent brought out a super hard hitter who happens to have supereffective moves against said Sleeper.

Let's say the super hard hitter is faster than the Ghost-type and before I could do anything, it OHKOs it.

Wow. I didn't even get a chance to make a move and now I'm OHKOed.

I guess the point I was trying to make earlier or draw a parallel to is that I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between a team of super hard Sweepers who, without much of a doubt, can OHKO pretty much anyone on the other team (if no one has Sturdy or some other method of avoiding OHKO right off the bat, and Insomnia prevents Sleep) and having a team where there is a Sleeper who MIGHT be able to induce Sleep which induces a different sort of KO.

Like someone else said, if you're battling strictly to win and using whatever it takes to win (which I don't know if you support or not since I couldn't tell in your post response to the other person's statement), then there's not much of a difference between someone who has the intention of simply charging right in and physically mowing everyone down with a team of super hard hitters who can OHKO and someone else who wants to mow everyone down and has a team with a Sleeper on it to specifically help them approach it in a different way.

Is it simply because Sleep (or any other Status inducers for which there might be clauses) is a Status attack rather than an outright Physical attack that makes it different from a super effective hard hitting Physical attack that can OHKO?

You say that you can induce Sleep on multiple team members, but you can also OHKO multiple team members, too (or come REALLY close to OHKOing), if the other team wasn't prepared to meet that particular Sweeper.

Or, like in the example you gave, had worked their entire team around to defend against Sweepers only to miss out on a defense against a particular Sweeper and are now at the Sweeper's mercy.

You get OHKOed, new Pokemon comes up to replace the one who got KOed, you get OHKOed again... rinse and repeat.

That sounds just as 'fun' as having multiple members of your Pokemon party being put to Sleep, or, if you leave the Sleeping Pokemon in battle, being put to Sleep and then being KOed.

Your example of making an entire team work around a Sleeper if there were no Sleep clause in effect is no different than making an entire team work around Sweepers or Walls, even.

Again, I DO understand the Sleep clause and even agree with it (I like fair gameplay and I can see how that might be considered 'unfair', but I gave the example of the continuous OHKOing, too, to draw a parallel), but at the same point, I guess I'm missing something here, too, and would really appreciate some insight.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Hey Dark Azelf, are you addressing me or that other guy? :)

Since I was the one who brought up the issue most recently, I'll go ahead and answer your question.

Before I say anything though, despite what I said earlier, I DO definitely get why there are Sleeper Clauses amongst other things.

(Yes, I very much know that Sleep knocks out a Pokemon from being able to do anything for X number of Turns and makes them an easy target for a real KO and I also know that Sleep can be induced in multiple Pokemon in a row if one were so lucky to have Hypnosis work so many times in a row.)

Also, thank you very much for your clarification on the Sleeper Clause (re: Sleep can be used again after the previously Sleeping Pokemon has awoken).

So.

Let's say I brought out a Sleeper who happens to be a Ghost-type and my opponent brought out a super hard hitter who happens to have supereffective moves against said Sleeper.

Let's say the super hard hitter is faster than the Ghost-type and before I could do anything, it OHKOs it.

Wow. I didn't even get a chance to make a move and now I'm OHKOed.

I guess the point I was trying to make earlier or draw a parallel to is that I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between a team of super hard Sweepers who, without much of a doubt, can OHKO pretty much anyone on the other team (if no one has Sturdy or some other method of avoiding OHKO right off the bat, and Insomnia prevents Sleep) and having a team where there is a Sleeper who MIGHT be able to induce Sleep which induces a different sort of KO.

Like someone else said, if you're battling strictly to win and using whatever it takes to win (which I don't know if you support or not since I couldn't tell in your post response to the other person's statement), then there's not much of a difference between someone who has the intention of simply charging right in and physically mowing everyone down with a team of super hard hitters who can OHKO and someone else who wants to mow everyone down and has a team with a Sleeper on it to specifically help them approach it in a different way.

Is it simply because Sleep (or any other Status inducers for which there might be clauses) is a Status attack rather than an outright Physical attack that makes it different from a super effective hard hitting Physical attack that can OHKO?

You say that you can induce Sleep on multiple team members, but you can also OHKO multiple team members, too (or come REALLY close to OHKOing), if the other team wasn't prepared to meet that particular Sweeper.

Or, like in the example you gave, had worked their entire team around to defend against Sweepers only to miss out on a defense against a particular Sweeper and are now at the Sweeper's mercy.

You get OHKOed, new Pokemon comes up to replace the one who got KOed, you get OHKOed again... rinse and repeat.

That sounds just as 'fun' as having multiple members of your Pokemon party being put to Sleep, or, if you leave the Sleeping Pokemon in battle, being put to Sleep and then being KOed.

Your example of making an entire team work around a Sleeper if there were no Sleep clause in effect is no different than making an entire team work around Sweepers or Walls, even.

Again, I DO understand the Sleep clause and even agree with it (I like fair gameplay and I can see how that might be considered 'unfair', but I gave the example of the continuous OHKOing, too, to draw a parallel), but at the same point, I guess I'm missing something here, too, and would really appreciate some insight.

I get the feeling you haven't battled competitively a lot though perhaps I'm wrong...but at any rate, I'll respond briefly (mostly because this is probably on the highway to Offtopicland but I'll bite).

You seem to be implying, from what I can tell, that by using a bunch of devastating sweepers you will instantly win. This simply is not true, as there are plenty of ways to stops sweepers and sweeper teams dead in their tracks. People use stall teams and semi-stall teams that can easily threaten and ultimately shut down any offensive juggernaut you can imagine. And if they bring in a sweeper that has an advantage, you can always switch out to something that can take on that Pokemon.

On the other hand, Sleep basically shuts down all of that. Unless you run a team full of Sleep Talkers or something like that (which hugely restricts the metagame), sleepers can do crazy damage quite easily without Sleep Clause. As I like to put it, "Breloom is good enough already." Hopefully that helps you understand it a little more.

At any rate, my thoughts are that competitive play is generally fun. It can wear down on you quickly though, especially if the metagame becomes bland. But going up against real opponents is always a nice and usually enjoyable challenge.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Hey Anti, thanks for the response!

Yes, you're right; I have not done much competitive gaming with Pokemon which is why I asked specifically for clarification/explanation.

With that said, I just want to put it out there and say that I wasn't posting all that to stir up trouble; I simply (as we can tell) don't have much experience with competitive battling or much experience with really experimenting with the numerous combinations of movesets and abilities and so on and so forth.

Really - and I think this might be true for other non-experienced competitive battlers - I think that it (the whole commentary I made about Sweepers sweeping everything and maybe not being able to stand up to it) is simply the way things -appear- to be at first.

Until you understand the schematics of team-building and IV breeding and EV training and combining it all together, it's just easy to be trounced by someone who knows what they're doing. So what does it all look like? Sweepers and specific team combos always winning no matter what.

I definitely know that that isn't the case even before I posted my posts and that they can be defended against, but I guess when faced with the whole 'Sweepers can be defended against, stalled, walled, etc and are therefore okay' statement, that just makes me turn around and think 'Sleepers can be defended against, too, but it's simply a pain to do so using either the Insomnia ability or Sleep Talk'.

Like you said, it restricts the metagame and I can see that.

On the other hand, in either case of a Sweeper or a Sleeper or a Staller or a Waller, you are forced to build a team that can either withstand or combat it.

What you (and DA) said earlier about Breloom being enough on its own makes sense given its ability. Also, what you said about Sleeper-types being able to cause devastating damage is certainly true, too, which is why I keep Hypnosis mostly for catching wild Pokemon rather than for any actual battling.

I can do just fine without using Sleep; I guess the only reason I keep questioning the reasons for the various clauses often involved in competitive battling is because I simply want to understand them.

Thanks again for replying.

RaveSage

Eccentric Sheep
    Years
  • In a way smogon(since were mainly talking about that site) promotes people to competitive battle to check out the deeper aspects of the game. Sure it's hard to understand at first but once you read up on it and understand the mechanics of it and start battling you'd realize for the most part it's kind of fun. And it's your choice whenever you want to stop battling, like i said, nobodies forcing you to do anything, it's just therre for the full potential of the aspects of the game with movesets, EV's, IV's and Hidden Power, Natures, Team Placements, and maybe even reading up on smogons sets might give you ideas for your own sets, and you should read up on them anyway to see what people will be using. I hope i helped you change your perspective on the competitive battling scene since while it's not perfect, it's a pretty good community when compared to other communities i know...

Oh my goodness, thank you for pointing this out. The whole idea of ignoring Smogon standards just because they are is something that I really dislike about "anti-Smogon" players. I've seen a lot of people attempt to make "original" sets or use non-OU pokes in the OU tier simply because they are NU and they more often than not result in ridicule because they either don't work consistently, require too much support, or simply have a completely superior option. These teams usually fail in my opinion because the makers of these gimmick sets didn't start out at the basics and learn what already works. If you want to use Lapras on your team, why not find out why other Water types like Vaporeon, Suicune, Gyarados and their respective sets work so much better first rather than just ignore them for being OU. It's fine if you want to use these "fun" teams and not care about standards though. Just don't complain when someone beats your favorites outright because they had a more standard based team.

What I really don't get that seems to constantly come up in this thread is a mindset drawn toward Karen's quote, "Strong pokemon, weak pokemon. That is the only selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers try to win with their favorites" and how it somehow becomes directed toward competitive battling. Can I not play competitively and still find favorites to use? During my time playing OU, I grew very fond of Dusknoir for his great ability to use Trick Room, my favorite team theme, and his wonderful defensive/offensive mix between attacks like Will-o-Wisp, Shadow Sneak, ect. Of course using him in OU right now is a fairly poor option but I still like Noir's competitive assets. Another example would be my "persona" pokemon, Ampharos. I would almost never use Ampharos in OU play simply because he can't perform well enough there to merit usage. However in the NU metagame Ampharos becomes quiet the powerhouse despite having some hindering flaws. So Ampharos might be my favorite but I use him where he works best rather than try to prove the Smogonites wrong by shoving Ampharos in their face and gloating about how Ampharos should be OU or that players should use NU pokemon on their teams more. The whole idea of tossing out pokemon that are "not good enough" doesn't really make sense to me either because it's just a game. I wouldn't breed puppies and toss the ones I don't want on the sidewalk; Pokemon is a game where such consequences do not exist and it shouldn't be treated as such really.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I beg to differ Smogon's Shoddy server is the most n00b full server on Shoddy. Sure the elites are good but as a whole not so much.

RaveSage

Eccentric Sheep
    Years
  • Uh, are you referring to the Shoddy Battle chat or the Ladder? If it's the chat, most Smogon users actually don't chat there. They use their IRC chatrooms since they have more control over people who act like idiots there. If you are speaking of the ladder, it puts matches together based on a formula of wins/loses and how good the person you battled is. If you have a low rating, expect to never have a fight against these "elitists" because you'll most likely never get to them.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm sure it's like that because most newer users start out at Smogon because it's the de facto "official" Shoddy server now.
    And yes the chat is filled with all sorts of Fartfetch'd stuff.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • What I really don't get that seems to constantly come up in this thread is a mindset drawn toward Karen's quote, "Strong pokemon, weak pokemon. That is the only selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers try to win with their favorites" and how it somehow becomes directed toward competitive battling. Can I not play competitively and still find favorites to use? During my time playing OU, I grew very fond of Dusknoir for his great ability to use Trick Room, my favorite team theme, and his wonderful defensive/offensive mix between attacks like Will-o-Wisp, Shadow Sneak, ect. Of course using him in OU right now is a fairly poor option but I still like Noir's competitive assets. Another example would be my "persona" pokemon, Ampharos. I would almost never use Ampharos in OU play simply because he can't perform well enough there to merit usage. However in the NU metagame Ampharos becomes quiet the powerhouse despite having some hindering flaws. So Ampharos might be my favorite but I use him where he works best rather than try to prove the Smogonites wrong by shoving Ampharos in their face and gloating about how Ampharos should be OU or that players should use NU pokemon on their teams more. The whole idea of tossing out pokemon that are "not good enough" doesn't really make sense to me either because it's just a game. I wouldn't breed puppies and toss the ones I don't want on the sidewalk; Pokemon is a game where such consequences do not exist and it shouldn't be treated as such really.
    I agree with this entire paragraph. I said before that I'm dumb when it comes to competitive battling since I'm still learning, but if I didn't use Pokémon I liked, then I'd almost immediately lose interest in battling as a whole. But, at the same time, if Luvdisc was my favorite, I wouldn't go out of my way to make it something that it isn't (as in I wouldn't try to make it viable).
    I am guilty of breeding a ton of Pokémon and throwing out the ones that I don't want to use for no reason other than in-game space. I'm a horrible pack rat as it is, there's almost no point in holding on to a bunch of, say, Zubat, with bad natures/IVs that I'll never get around to using and that nobody will want.

It's also my understanding that if you're concerned about in-game battling (against NPCs) that EV training isn't necessary because they aren't that strong, but that could be a lie, and I'm sure EV training doesn't hurt in situations like that.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    Oh my goodness, thank you for pointing this out. The whole idea of ignoring Smogon standards just because they are is something that I really dislike about "anti-Smogon" players. I've seen a lot of people attempt to make "original" sets or use non-OU pokes in the OU tier simply because they are NU and they more often than not result in ridicule because they either don't work consistently, require too much support, or simply have a completely superior option. These teams usually fail in my opinion because the makers of these gimmick sets didn't start out at the basics and learn what already works. If you want to use Lapras on your team, why not find out why other Water types like Vaporeon, Suicune, Gyarados and their respective sets work so much better first rather than just ignore them for being OU. It's fine if you want to use these "fun" teams and not care about standards though. Just don't complain when someone beats your favorites outright because they had a more standard based team.

What I really don't get that seems to constantly come up in this thread is a mindset drawn toward Karen's quote, "Strong pokemon, weak pokemon. That is the only selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers try to win with their favorites" and how it somehow becomes directed toward competitive battling. Can I not play competitively and still find favorites to use? During my time playing OU, I grew very fond of Dusknoir for his great ability to use Trick Room, my favorite team theme, and his wonderful defensive/offensive mix between attacks like Will-o-Wisp, Shadow Sneak, ect. Of course using him in OU right now is a fairly poor option but I still like Noir's competitive assets. Another example would be my "persona" pokemon, Ampharos. I would almost never use Ampharos in OU play simply because he can't perform well enough there to merit usage. However in the NU metagame Ampharos becomes quiet the powerhouse despite having some hindering flaws. So Ampharos might be my favorite but I use him where he works best rather than try to prove the Smogonites wrong by shoving Ampharos in their face and gloating about how Ampharos should be OU or that players should use NU pokemon on their teams more. The whole idea of tossing out pokemon that are "not good enough" doesn't really make sense to me either because it's just a game. I wouldn't breed puppies and toss the ones I don't want on the sidewalk; Pokemon is a game where such consequences do not exist and it shouldn't be treated as such really.

Yo real talk this is how people should view competitive battling and smogon, there's really not much more to say alongside it as it's pretty much the mindset you should have with battling.

I really agree with the parts you said about dusknoir and ampharos, while they may have drawbacks thanks to obvious OU stuff, if you can manage to work with what they're good at doing instead of trying to do something another poke does better, good chances are you'll succeed if you have good team synergy =)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Yo real talk this is how people should view competitive battling and smogon, there's really not much more to say alongside it as it's pretty much the mindset you should have with battling.

I really agree with the parts you said about dusknoir and ampharos, while they may have drawbacks thanks to obvious OU stuff, if you can manage to work with what they're good at doing instead of trying to do something another poke does better, good chances are you'll succeed if you have good team synergy =)

The only thing is, you are allowed to use your favorites. A lot of the time, however, is that they are outclassed when it comes to the standard metagame. People who do competitive battling really want to win, and not worry about their favorites. Everyone has their own ideology, and not everyone feels the need to incorporate the Pokemon they like into a team just because they like it. I guess personally I've never had to encounter this problem, since the majority of my favorites are either in standard play, or I just play UU with them if they are there.

Which brings me to my next point (And which is way more pertinent to this thread xD): Competitive battling might keep me on Pokemon, but NOT the standard metagame. OU is so predictable and boring to me now, that I spend the majority of my time in the UU tier. The difference between the two is quite major (Different play styles [Although semi-stall seems to be the most viable to me at the moment] and, obviously, different Pokemon to use).

Which leads me to ask a question to the thread: What are your opinions on tiers outside OU? Maybe you dabble into the NU tier, UU, or even Ubers (Sorry, I have nothing on Ubers XD).

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    To add on, some people get bored of using their favorites over and over to the point they want to use something else.

Battling is fun, hax can be a pain though. Still, OU gets very boring after using only ~3 teams tbh, but that's why it's good to change from different tiers. Ubers will always have my favorite metagame due to having a fast-paced nature and you can use Pokémon that would otherwise suck to actually be successful (i.e. Parasect, Ariados, Shiftry, etc). Oh, and you can use Chomp and Wobba which is cute.

RaveSage

Eccentric Sheep
    Years
  • Well, I've never touched NU or Ubers. I've recently been doing Little Cup and VGC style though I did UU before my absence on the competitive scene and OU far before that.

UU has gone through a lot of interesting changes since it's only been studied very recently compared to OU, which explains a lot of the BL banning that's happened. There are standard pokemon and combination that work better than others in UU as well Slowbro + Registeel, Steelix, Mismagius, Archanine and quiet a few others almost dominate the tier in some ways even though they have some very exploitable flaws. Though it's defiantly true that for someone who dislikes or has gotten bored of OU, UU is a lot of fun and a breath of fresh air, mainly because of the lack of exploitable Steel+Dragon combos that centralize OU a lot. I'm sure NU is sort of like this too but I wouldn't be able to go into detail about that.

Now with Little Cup, you actually have a whole different metagame almost.The pokemon are at a much lower level and some pokemon that would normally be very poor suddenly become amazing like Drifloon and Geodude. Just like with UU, it's a bit of fresh air and has a certain flare to the battles because they all go by fairly quickly. (Stall teams are near impossible to make.) As well as making a metagame based more on skill since every little bit of chipped HP, even off a resisted attack, matters a lot. It's a very fun style and I'm quiet glad I came back into competitive through it.

Years
  • ^ Back then in my short time in Shoddy, everyone was all about that OU stuff. "Plz battle my OU team!" and similar appeared alot. I was like, "Is OU the only thing people actually use there?"

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • thus far i'm rather 50/50 on the subject. i been afp since then end of gen1 since that's what it's called now and even back then me and my close friends were fiercely competitive. but we'd have fun games with each other where we'd set a level and we'd build a team. but the thing is you had to let your opponent play with your team... it was redonkulous trying to lose when everyone was trying to lose. ah.. good times.

now the competitive side is going to be a time absorber for me. i'm a nice guy but i can't help but obey my testosterone and get competitive.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Well, OU is the standard metagame so yes, most people do care about OU more than others. However, I like all tiers from Little Cup to Ubers (except OU, its poop).

Back