• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Your starter?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    On my first time, I chose Squirtle (I was really into water pokémon, for some reason). Usually, I pick Charmander, but later I'm mostly picking Bulbasaur, for a change.

Years
  • I would always choose Squirtle or Charmander, I love Squirtle simply because his final evolution, Blastoise, is a beast of a pokemon and I chose Charmander because haveing that fire breathing dragon Charizard was pretty epic. I dont think I ever chose Bulbasaur, because I always hated what his final evolution looked like.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • I almost always choose Bulbasaur, save for when I try to mix it up, and I love it. Being 4x weak to bug type attacks kinda sucks though.

Ever think about changing this into a poll?

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
    Years
  • My favoite starter pokemon is CHARMANDER why because looked the coolest and awesome fire attacks.I know fire type pokemon are weak to water and rock/ground type attacks
    but it depends on trainer who can handle.But still I really like Fire Type Pokemon.

FIRE TYPE IS THE BEST....

Years
  • Charmander in Red and Squirtle in Blue because of their respective colors, hehe. At least from what I remember. :) They were both really good starters but Charmander gave me so, so much trouble when fighting Brock and Misty but after that things finally paid off.

Now I'm remember Charmeleon's back sprite, uugh.. not so pretty. But despite the hardships of using him at first it's still my kid self's favorite starter.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Well my first game was Yellow, so of course i had Pikachu, but ended up getting Charmander and Squirtle as well.
    When i got Pokemon Blue from a friend, i picked Charmander

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Charmander was always my favourite, though the other two come extremely close nowadays. So yeah, I went with him for ages when I was younger. I didn't know how to save (or how to leave the house at first), and would accidentally name myself, my rival and my Charmander "Andrew" for ages. I eventually figured it out and played the game properly, although I can't remember completing the game. I generally remember my team through their nicknames and the first ones I properly remember are from Yellow.

WAS

Years
  • When I originally picked up the game, I picked Charmander. I remember watching the episode Charmander was first introduced and I just fell in love. However, he is a challenge to get starting with if you don't catch the right Pokemon first.

Second run I picked Squirtle, and I can say, I honestly haven't done Bulbasaur. I don't know why, I definitely should give it a go. :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Squirtle; it was the cutest and would eventually become Blastoise who will always be cooler than Charizard. I'll never forget how as a 10 year old who didn't know what the heck I was doing, struggled through the game using only Squirtle and eventually beating the Pokemon League with a level 92 Blastoise.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I've played these three so many times that I've gotten to use every starter almost equally. Though I'm pretty sure that my original choice was Squirtle! I though Squirtle was so adorable and I liked using Blastoise a lot! However, Wartortle is the favorite of the line.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I had Blue Version but Bulbasaur always appealed the most to me. I just like the way he looks and he's more chilled out than the other two.

invalid_user

Angelo
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2014
    I went with bulbsaur, no good grass pokemon aside from him/her as well as you can beat the first two gyms with him and you can easily get a fire and water type but you can't replace bulbasaur :)

Years
  • My first starter in my first time playing through was Squirtle, i've always liked it the most of the three. Bulbasaur is my second most picked of them, since it's had more use for me than Charmander did.

IeUaN_08

Researching
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    For me its always between Charmander or Squirtle. In my most recent play its Squirtle, promise I'll give Bulbasaur ago next time round...

Back