• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
    • She/her
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    I remember that my brother introduced me into pokemon when I was young my first very episode when ash first got pikachu from professor oak in pallet town abd I was happy to see that.

Pokemount

Hello
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    All of my cousins played it and were always trading, battling etc. with one another, so they pretty much got me into it.

Years
  • Well, I got my first Pokémon game, which was Red, back around when they came out. Back then I never had any idea what I was doing xP But I started to get it more when I played Yellow.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    I was into Mario (like A LOT) and I wanted SMA2 for the GBA, but instead they were out of stock and my dad got me Pokemon Crystal for my birthday.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Well, the main reason I got into Pokemon was because it was the first video game I ever played, and I don't know if that's the reason I really like a lot of games with the same concept today, or if Pokemon just happened to fall into a genre of games I'd just naturally enjoy, but I've just always liked the game, so I'm happy it was what introduced me to the whole gaming experience. The first Pokemon game I ever played, was my brother Blue version which he got on his 6th birthday I believe, and while I don't remember anything from my first few playthroughs, because I was like 3 years old at the time, I just remember it was something I really liked, despite not understanding anything in regards of story, and even though I was horrible at it :p But yeah, it grew on me, and I became a big fan of both the games and the anime, and later on I got my very own Silver version when I was about 5 or so, which was what really turned me into a fan, since I wasn't restricted by my brother anymore, and I just enjoyed being able to progress at whichever pace I wanted, being able to catch whatever I wanted, and so on. That's also a big reason to why the second generation are my favourite games today :)

Fun thing is, I'm not one that's much for RPG's honestly. I'm really bad at all the micro-managing that most of them require, and a lot of them also require tons of grinding. I don't really have that problem with the Pokemon series, because, contrary to most RPG's, you aren't given characters at a certain point in the story, and have to adapt to those, whether they're strong or weal, and you just generally don't have much control over how you're gonna adapt to the challenges ahead. With Pokemon it's entirely up to you. You choose which characters (aka Pokemon in this case) you want to use, how many you're gonna use at a time, which is often a help when it comes to evening out the levels and such, and whether you're gonna make the games more challenging by using certain Pokemon, that are either weak to certain upcoming trainers, weak in general, or are just strong and reliable companions that are gonna be a huge help on the journey. And yeah, while there's a set difficulty, it's really your choice that decides whether it's gonna be easy or hard, and that's also what gives Pokemon the incredible amount of replay value it has, and why it's become as popular as it is. When you're limited to certain characters and classes, that all always learn the same skills and stuff, it's just not always as fun to replay, because it's essentially the same thing you go through. And while the entire journey of Pokemon is always the same (it could be really awesome if they someday provided different paths you could take, ie. going for the league challenge, contests, becoming a bad guy, stuff like that omg), it's always gonna be different, because you have the ability to choose between so many different Pokemon, and give them so many different move, train them in specific stats, etc., and with the whole luck factor quite a few of the battles also rely on, battles are also gonna unfold differently, and that's what other RPG's lack. Sure, they're fun to play through with gaps inbetween, but the reason I haven't grown as tired of Pokemon as I have with, say, Zelda, is because I can play Pokemon games again and again, and still have a different experience each time. And that's what really got me into Pokemon, and the reason I've stayed in the community for as long as I have.

And I have so much more I could say, but It's 6:30 in the morning, I haven't slept all night, and I gotta be on a bus in about half an hour, so best not drag this out any longer ;D

~toodles

DarkScrambled

Scrambled Eggs
    Years
  • Since I was a young boy around the age of 5-8 I had started watching pokemon. At first I didn't like watching it at all because people had told me it was boring and garbage, but I didn't bealive tgem or wanted too. So one day while pokemon was showing I decided to watch the whole episode, it was fairly good. I continued watching the episodes and started singing the music lyrics too it. I remember them by heart, and I still currently remember most of them. I got my first pokemon game which was silver when I was about seven. I was so excited to play it since it was my first pokemon game, bak then I played it on a silver gameboy too. I had beaten the game and got bored of it. I had quit playing pokemon at the stage in my life but continued watching Pokémon. Sooner or later I had gotten a Nintendo DS, and my second pokemon game was Pearl. Pearl was very exciting to me since it had better music, graphics, and pokemon. It was worth the pokemon experience. I had then moved on to Diamond, Platnium , Soul Silver, Heart and Gold, then BW2. Thats how i begin/ got introduced to pokemon.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    the stereotypical start for me. Japanese friend with an older brother, older brother passes ds and diamond down, she plays it 24/7. bought me a ds and pearl.

Uiriamu

The Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2013
    I'm probably really behind but hopefully i can still answer this. what got me into it was the very first time my sister let me play pokemon Yellow after that. i was hooked lol

Years
  • Nothing really got me into it. When I was young, I watched the TV show and I didn't even know it was Pokemon.. When I went to the store, it was my Birthday so I was able to choose a video game to get. I forget what one it was but it was a Pokemon because there was a creature on the cover that looked really cool. So that's basically how I got into Pokemon. ._.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
    Years
  • My parents bought me a Gameboy Color with Red when it first came out, and I soon obtained Blue and was hooked. I watched the show and started collecting cards. Actually... at that time I invested all of my money into buying cards (which wasn't a lot considering I was a little kid haha) to trade with my best friend who also loved Pokemon.
    I continued to play the games and collect cards, as to my friend migrated his likes to Digimon, which we then feuded over constantly haha. I never really got into the actual card game (competitive and all) but still loved collecting.

To this day I'm still a fan, all these years later...

Emburn

<3
    Years
  • My mom bought me the movie for Christmas when I was younger. After that, I forced her to buy me a Gameboy and a Nintendo 64 and every Pokemon game on them :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    My brother wanted to get Civilization V for Christmas, but it had bad reviews and my dad didn't want to get it. So instead of that, we got a Wii. My brother is a serious gamer and wanted to get Super Smash Bros Brawl on our new Wii. My sister and I thought Super Smash Bros Brawl sounded like a stupid game, but our brother convinced us to try it. After encountering Pikachu and thinking it was cute, my sister started watching the pokemon anime. Next thing you know i was on the Bulbapedia reading and reading and reading and reading.(I like to do a lot of research.) After a while, my sister showed me to this forum.

Last edited:

Corrosive

Conspiracy Realist
    Years
  • I received a promotional vhs (if that tells you how long ago lmao) from nintendo power introducting pokemon the US. I hope I still have it, I'm sure it was full of cheesy acting and dialogue. I was about 10 years old and I was hooked like an addict XD

Ehrgeiz

CustomTitle1.Show()
    Years
  • My first experience with Pokemon, was when I started playing Red Version on my brothers GameBoy Pocket. Good times, good times. ^^

Years
  • When I was about 8 I went to google and searched "Animals with super powers"

Then after about 30 pages of dog's in capes and if I recall a Photoshop photo of a horse shooting out laser beams I came across a picture of a houndoom

I clicked on the link and I got addict to pokemon instantly o.o

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    When I was little, my babysitters loved Pokemon. They already had Red, Blue, and Yellow. They gave my brother and I Pokemon Yellow and we played it a lot. Years later, I got Pokemon Ruby, and I beat it to the end. Then my friends got into it, even my older cousins! Then, my brother and I couldn't stop playing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2013
    What got me into Pokemon was because of... uhh... it's hard to explain... Well,i just found the anime interesting enough :O
    Btw I'm new in here,yes i followed what the beginning tutorial said but I'm still kinda new at it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    I think it was a combination of the Show and the original commercial for red and blue. man nastalgic

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    My brother's friend handed over a few Pokémon games (in ROMs) a few years back, saying these games, even though having small graphics, are really addicting. Boy, was he right.

I should be thanking him because playing the games made me watch Pokémon anime again and read manga and basically get me addicted.

Back