• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

Years
  • Hmm... well, my brother played it a lot when I was about 4. So, I played it... played it and learned a lot from it. [Despite the fact I wasted his Master Ball on a Murkrow.]
    But yeah, I'm also into RPG games. And so since Pokemon is pretty much an RPG, It's got a lot of cute Pokemon as well! [Ninetales! <333333]

Klinklang5

Bowties are Cool
    Years
  • Omg, started when I was super young and flipped through TV channels to watch something. And I landed on an episode of Pokemon, watched it and was instantly hooked. I still watched until I was what, nine and then took a hiatus. I later got back into it when I was 14, my younger brother came home with a gen 5 card, it all flooded back to me and I collected the Cards for kicks and watched the show (weird that it wasn't in Serbian dub like my first time.). I still watch it time to time, but not not as involved anymore. :C

Years
  • When I was about 6 years-old, I was playing Super Smash Bros. on the N64 with some friends and when I saw the character Pikachu on there, I couldn't help but ask my friends what it was and they answered saying its a Pokemon. Afterwards, I started to see what info I could get on these mystical creatures and was really happy when my mom bought me a Game Boy Color and copies of Red and Blue, and Yellow, and I've been a fan ever since! (Still have the original Blue and Yellow versions my mom got me and they still work!) I started playing the TCG around the age of 9 or 10.... and watched the anime up to the end of the Sinnoh saga, and I read the manga in my spare time.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    I really don't remember exactly what got me into Pokemon. I mean, that's basically what I grew up with. Pokemon has been in my life since it hit the US. My friends in school had the cards and we used to play the game, there used to be TCG leagues at Toys R Us that we all used to go to. Then I had basically all the video games.

I don't remember, but Pokemon is a major thing in my life. I love it to bits.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    I had a friend that was Japanese. You know, peer pressure.

braixen

the supreme meme
    Years
  • my brother was mainly how i got into video games as a child. i would often watch him play his games that we had for ps1. he had pokemon blue, and so i eventually got red because i wanted to play the game and my love for pokemon started there.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Its been 15 years since I started playing the game. I have no idea what got me started. I played it since the beginning, and the people who got it for me (my grandparents) aren't around to ask. Though I doubt they would have remembered if they were.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • My cousin started playing Pokemon when Red and Blue came out and he got me into them. He lived with my grandma and I would go over there most weekends and play the game with him. After playing the games we both got into the anime and a little into the TCG. I still watch the anime today and enjoy it, it's fun to watch re-runs while trying to hatch Pokemon! I've played one version of most every game that has come out...I really don't think I'll ever get tired of playing Pokemon, it's just so much fun!

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
    Years
  • I remember seeing "pockemon" mentioned in a magazine back in 1997 and I really liked Meowth (I was big on cats) so I became interested after that. It was a long time before it actually came out and gained popularity here.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
  • I was never into the anime honestly, even when I was a kid.

Only reason I got into it is because my cousin had it, let me give it a trial run and I've been hooked since. I even tried competitive battling bout 4 or so years ago and got pretty good, but I fell out of the scene because of the military and life. Completely missed out on the Black/White generation.

Back for the X/Y and hoping to jump back into the competitive scene, though I'm not so sure now with the addition of Fairy. I really don't like the type.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I would have to say my parents. They are the first ones that introduced me to videogames and Pokemon with Pokemon Stadium for the Nintendo 64. When I was 4, they bought me my first game console and introduced me to the world of Pokemon. It was either that or when I first started watching the show, I can't remember.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • It was back in 2nd grade when Generation III had come to a high, and all my friends had Game Boys and FireRed/LeafGreen. I got a silver GBA SP and Emerald after saving up my allowance, and after I found myself interested in it, I continued Pokémon even after those people were gone from my life. It's really been my saving grace as far as interests go. :)

Years
  • I loved pokemon from the momentum it played on tv, to the day I found out that such a thing as gameboy existed. Sadly Iv never owned a gameboy or any handheld console so every pokemon game Iv ever played was through emulators. And thats what realy got me into pokemon, the games:-D

AwesomeRob

Congrats!
    Years
  • Probably my childhood friend Chris. We battled and traded together, and he'd even let me play some of his older Pokemon games.

Back