• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: IRC Revival

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Toshiro's new post got me motivated, as I've been talking about this for a while, and I'd like to help revive the IRC. I go into the IRC quite often and it's usually, sadly, dead. Let's make it have a comeback for good this time. I know I've heard some people say it's hopeless but.. heck I think it's worth another shot.

I've spoken to Toujours just shortly now about it. Some suggestions could be that mods can implement the IRC into their section rules or something. I think part of the problem is that people aren't really aware that it exists, or know how to get to it.

I was also thinking, maybe we can do something special to keep it going. Toujours suggested a PC trivia bot, which I think would be cool! Or even a trivia night (though sadly I dont have enough pokemon knowlege to host that.)
Another idea I thought, was to have section-specific events, like fridays would be GE Night. We could all watch a common show then (like a cooking show, or horror films, that we could get youtube links for, though there is no obligation for it) or just chat GE.. music, movies, games? Then maybe every Monday have a Pokemon X and Y in-depth discussion night/ day or something? Something to motivate members to come in and chat. Or heck.. maybe even a "Funny Youtube Video Night" or "you laugh you lose game night."

I'd like to open this up to members suggestions as well. You guys have some pretty good ideas so let's hear it. And please remember to be open to ideas before disagreeing with them them, or if you're gonna dispute one, please add something of your own to keep the suggestions coming!

How could we help fix activity in the IRC? What would you like to see? What will keep it going?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Maybe you can put the chat on the main page of PC so people can see who's on it? :)
Not sure how doable that is, nor how much it'd contribute to server lag. Up to audy I'd imagine anyways.

But I'm not sure it's that necessary anyway as a click of the chatroom link gets you there and shows you who is online anyway, and idk how that would help activity.

TBH the chat is not in too bad a state and often can be busy - might be a matter of timezones. Don't mind more promotion of it though, but note that some sections are already a bit on the low side with activity so I wouldn't be keen on having some of those integrated with irc in case it takes activity from the forums... which is of higher importance after all. Stuff like GE and certainly X and Y wouldn't be affected as it is though.

But then in my experience irc chats work best when the topic isn't set on purpose but allowed to happen as it is - what people feel like talking about at the time. The best recipe is for people to go on and say stuff and wait around for a bit. Sometimes convos fail, but that's typical of many irc channels I've been on. Trivia bots can be cool but not when used during a conversation (it can just get in the way). Trivia nights require a lot of regular hosting/work if it was a regular thing too so I'm not sure that would work too well without proper planning and a number of people committed to getting it going.

So... I'm a bit undecided on some of these suggestions I guess? =p Will give it some more thought while others have their say I suppose.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well, I'd say that at least two people from each timezone (or someone who has time) should strive to be on at that hour(s) and try to strike up a conversation with anyone who comes around.

Ofc it's not like a mod-job important in that you don't have to log on at exactly x:00 yM, but if at least two people could make a dialogue at regular intervals to make it seem like it's worth staying to hear the chatter, that's your job. Or at least, going to be.

Just a thought.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I mean, yeah, there's room for so much improvement, but I have to ask. Is it worth it?

I don't want to make a decision that doesn't influence me, so I'm not comfortable with just saying shut it down or do this or do that, because I don't go there. But this comes up so much. In fact, I think there's been an ~improve IRC~ movement every year since I've been here and nothing really comes of it.

Is it really worth the time this time around to do something to change it?

Honest

Hi!
Years
Maybe you can put the chat on the main page of PC so people can see who's on it? :)

I feel like this'd be a lot more effective than people think. Putting aside any server issues it might create, or lag for that matter, if people see the chat, and are able to read it, they might just join in the conversation. That's how I feel anyway.

Aside from that, I was thinking maybe having the mods first of all close down all extensions to sub-forums. #OCD is the only one that I can recall, but it and all others like it should be closed. From there, I think it'd be neat to have 2 or 3 people (moderators would be ideal since they're more well known) could have something like a radio show type thing on IRC ranging on different topics, be it Pokemon or non-Pokemon. And people can come in and give their opinion. If we keep it interesting and publicize it, I think it can work.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Aside from that, I was thinking maybe having the mods first of all close down all extensions to sub-forums. #OCD is the only one that I can recall, but it and all others like it should be closed. From there, I think it'd be neat to have 2 or 3 people (moderators would be ideal since they're more well known) could have something like a radio show type thing on IRC ranging on different topics, be it Pokemon or non-Pokemon. And people can come in and give their opinion. If we keep it interesting and publicize it, I think it can work.

Are you saying you want mods to close their section specific ircs? I'm sorry, but I'm not closing #swablunest in favor of the main irc.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Are you saying you want mods to close their section specific ircs? I'm sorry, but I'm not closing #swablunest in favor of the main irc.

That is what I meant actually. I'm quoting someone, fairly certain it was Kura, but the subsections prevent the main IRC from getting any activity. If you still want subsections like that, I feel like's you could have the moderators of that section reserve a day on the IRC and have that day on the IRC dedicated to that subforum. For example, Razor and/or Live (or even someone they deem worthy) could host the Other Chat and Discussion day in IRC every Friday or something, and the other subforums can do just that. That being said, there should be a day once a week or at least once a month dedicated to the forum as a whole.

Also, what subfrom is #swablunest for? :3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
#swablunest is for Challenges. But I'm starting to think you don't get how it works. It may be for challenges and we talk about them a lot, but that doesn't mean it's all we talk about. Not to where I'd want to set aside a day of the week in the main irc for challenge talk only. That's ridiculous. I don't think Trade Corner would want to do that either. Just silly. We get together as regulars in those ircs and we get to become friends, and while the main irc is fine and dandy, mixing it with section specific things just ain't gonna fly. Neither is having set topics each day.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I'm not sure if I entirely agree with that. Sure, it might not work out in practice, I can definitely see that. After all, if was only a suggestion. I do fail to see how having your own section to discuss something or discussing the same thing on the main server is any different though. The thing is a public chat page, so I don't see how wanting to talk to a few select people is fair in and of itself, quite honestly. People want to join, they can join. And if they aren't interested, they can always leave.

Edit: Oh no! Okay, perhaps I worded it bad, but I'm aware that the subsections don't talk about just what their subsection is. Still, I don't see how my idea was bad. Am I saying I'm right? Course not. But people take it in their own way, so if you feel like it's a crap idea, I'm totally cool with it. I'm just giving my 2 cents. Use it as you wish, ya follow me?

Last edited:
Years
Aside from that, I was thinking maybe having the mods first of all close down all extensions to sub-forums. #OCD is the only one that I can recall, but it and all others like it should be closed.

lol no

On top of mine, (which is dead and unused and therefore irrelevant to this discussion btw) I helped set up the Trade Corner channel nearly 2 years ago with Twilightblade and I'll be damned if we close it or any of the others just because the main IRC chat is either dead or boring and needs the activity. We do that and people will stop using it outright, they won't go to the main channel where they don't know anyone or the convo won't be anything that pertains to them. On top of that, all it ever did was cause problems and create cliques - arguments between staff, gutting all the auth (And the annoying issue that is auth) because Jake said so, etc.

If you want to make it active then go there and talk more.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
We can try to see if putting the chatbox on the mainpage could work, and if it lags up the forum. Also having an option to close it until you choose to open it back would be good. Or is that too much? :C

Honest

Hi!
Years
It's times like this that publicizing the IRC would really come in handy. As Nick already stated, these types of threads appear so often, so it's really a question on whether or not it's worth it, but if you and Kura really care for the IRC, then publicizing it, perhaps setting up an event for it, is pretty much the best you guys can do and see how that can go. It might not sound like the best or the most out-of-the-box idea ever, but it's one of the only few options you guys have to see whether or not people care about the IRC. If they do, then great! You're off to an amazing start. If they don't, then they don't, and try other alternatives from there.

I mean yeah, there are multiple ways to make IRC popular! I just gave one option, and you gave another! And the event thing isn't so bad, actually. The only problem I have with that is that it might make activity in the IRC erratic. As in it'll be heller active when an event comes by, then dead when it passes. Then again, some activity is better than none. And it's hilarious how members here fiend for emblems lmao

Ehhhhhhh, I'd be down for making an event with Kura if she and the mods are are cool with it! I don't know exactly how we'd go about with it, or what we'd even do. But I'm sure we can some up with something if we tried.

Oh, and no worries about shooting down my idea! It's just an idea afterall.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I'd be glad to help out with the event too. IRC is dead most of the time but it can be a really fun place too :C

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I agree with Dipu actually. I know it won't go anywhere because people rage at the thought of losing their channels, but it was actually really active just before all the channels started branching off - first they weren't section-specific but friend-specific, but the sections then started becoming active and people that normally actually chatted on #tpc moved to those channels. And then people that were interested in the chat, because they were in the section that had its own channel, were told to only join the section channel, and never even encouraged towards #tpc, so they had no reason to go to begin with. And that's how we get people that swear by #tradecorner and #swablunest and have never even been in #tpc.

Either way I know no one who has a channel will be willing to give it up so it doesn't matter, just backing him up since he seems a little backed into a corner here.

I made a trivia bot and am loading it with Pokemon-related questions right now, and then I'd be more than willing to host a trivia night once or twice a week indefinitely :) It's an event, which usually means more activity, but it's also regular so the activity should hopefully be more regular.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I always will go on the trade corner in preference to the main IRC because I prefer the people there to the ones on the main IRC. The sub channels no doubt take activity away from the main IRC, but they are also sub communities of friends who get along a lot better than the large group of people who seem disconnected in the main chat. I would never ask them to remove their channels and even if I did, I'm quite sure they will continue to operate regardless...

In addition, they aren't official PC channels and they aren't on PC past a link, so higher staff have no jurisdiction over them and I don't think any higher staff feel they should.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years

I didn't even know that existed.. and I've been on PC nearly 10 years. I think one of the main problems is that.. well.. members don't know about the chat.
I agree with Toujours; I wouldn't close the other ones but to me it's a bit silly that there's not even like.. a little directory or something. There doesn't need to be if it's not actually linked to the Pokecommunity, of course, but if it is, I think it would be nice.

*_* AND OH YAAYY that's amazing! A bot! Can there be an IRC info thread made for how to use the bots, how to change names, how to access the irc on different sites and etc?

Last edited:
Back