• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Mod Change thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • I disagree with the twitter thing as I don't think _that_ many people use it and if you're going to announce something in some way it might as well be here on the forums rather than via an external site only a percentage of people use. =/
    If you go to the forum enough you'll know the Mod is gone. You don't need some thread to say "Such and such left the Staff". And if you don't go to the forum all that much (or don't go there at all) then chances are you really don't care if the person is no longer a Mod. So in both cases the thread is not needed.
    I would agree that it isn't needed, but I still feel it would help keep the community informed and up-to-date, and would be still helpful in itself. *shrugs*

But as said this was already voted upon recently, so...

Years
  • I'm all for a thread, even if it's just a simple update: XX is now moderator of the XX forum, or something. It's not really necessary, but it's interesting to look at and I don't think it would take much effort to run. However I know the higher staff voted against it so chances are it won't be happening.

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
  • The staff have a right to their own privacy. If they want people to know that they are on leave/DLOA then they will tell people about it. But it isn't fair to deprieve the staffs rights of privacy just because the members want to know whats happening. Yes, members have the right to know what's happening in the ranks of the staff but as it was pointed out earlier you can easily find who is DLOA or demoted just by looking at the person's username. The color will be different, so adding a thread for this will just be more clutter onto an already cluttered surver.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • How to know if someone is staff or not - check here.
    How to know if someone is on temporary leave of not - Frankly, it's nobody's business.

Last time around I was sort of for the idea, but looking at some of the admin's arguments here... yeah, why is it needed at all? You're not supposed to care about WHY they aren't a mod, you're only supposed to care whether they are or not. If they are on temporary leave, you still have to treat it as though it were permanent. The only reason people do it is to stop people asking questions when they're away.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • This idea seems kind of nice... But if it doesn't go through you can always check the Forum Leaders to see who's on staff and who's not. It's not really our business on why people are demoted, but you could always ask the person themselves and see if they want to answer you or not. As for promotions, just drop by the Celebrations forum every once in a while.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Arcanine said:
    As for demotions... they might be taking some time off, they might be demoted. But that's between them and the rest of the Staff. If they want to share why they're taking some time off then they can do so, but it'll be up to them and not us.

With that in mind, I personally think it should be the staff's business as to why someone was removed, unless asked. Like...don't ask, don't tell slightly. But I'm going to agree with what Arcanine and Audy said. If you really need to know who was just modded, check the forum leader's page/celebrations section. If you really need to know who's no longer on staff, it shouldn't have to be some public announcement. It would be kind of embarrassing if it was announced. You should just ask the (ex)mod in question and if they want to tell you, they'll tell you. No need for a thread about it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I still strongly disagree with the naysayers. :<

Look, all we ask is for a list of people joining and leaving the staff. Leaves need not be listed, and reasons for people joining/leaving the staff can be omitted. All we ask is a list, so we know who is still on staff. If they're taking a DLoA and aren't listed as demoted, we know it's just a leave and that can be that. It's up to them to decide if they want to release the details.

It's pathetic, you all cite that it's a privacy issue. We don't need to know WHY. We just want to know who is joining/leaving staff so we have an idea of who can be called on. It's not too much to ask. We're not prying, we're just concerned and it'd cut down on the massive load of VMs that most mods get when they go on DLoAs...because if they're demoted and still aren't listed as ex-staff then we know it's a leave. Then you can ask that person why, and it's up to them if they want to tell you or not. Simple as that.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • You're completely missing the point of a DLoA. You can't "call on" someone who's on it. And it wouldn't cut down on VMs, because people would still be asking why they got demoted or whatever the situation is. This is basically asking for a thread that sites information that is already available or is completely unhelpful. It'd be nice, sure, but it's not going to actually help anyone.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm on a DLoA, I chose not to tell non-staff members as it is none of their business, I have the right to my privacy and my decisions are only of my concern.

Further more, a staff member is not only demoted due to leaving or taking a DLoA, there's suspensions and dismissal also. Staff wouldn't want the public knowing another member is being suspended as it would be totally unprofessional, due to the fact that these warnings are usually due to staff members not filling out their duties.

At any rate, no reason for this. It's purely in the interest of the nosey to want this to go through. Just speak to a higher staff member if your concern relates a section in which is not being moderated. Simple as. I want a break for a reason, so that I can have my privacy, I don't want to be seen as being "tied down" to anything during my absence while on a DLoA, therefore I would not like to be branded as someone who is taking one. It's completely unecessary for us as staff members to tell the entire forum that we're either being let go or are on a break.

There's copious alternatives, use those.

And Pachy, your points are irellevant, you are here long enough now to know who to call on if there isn't a staff member for a section, so your points are pretty much nulled seing as in you didn't really state any other points that I can see. Regardless, even if they were just on a DLoA, you wouldn't "call on" them anyway, you would still go to a H-staff member. Your concern from wat I can see as well as a lot of members' is purely down to your own speculation. Just PM a given staff member if you're really concerned, if you ask nicely; they may just reply if their reasoning for not being staff at that time isn't one crippling their motivation to do so.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Look, all we ask is for a list of people joining and leaving the staff.
    Isn't that what the forum leaders page is for? If there's any changes made to staff, that page is always there and always updated. That's one reason why I don't agree with this idea, because we already pretty much have that.

I can understand why it would be nice to know what's going on with the forums. It'll make it easier to ask questions of the staff if the members know who to ask. But the mods are listed at the bottom of the forums they moderate, and the staff as a whole has a page dedicated to telling members where they mod, and who's on h-staff. There's your list of staff that you can "call on" if you have a question.

If the staff member is on a DLoA, then they either let it be known (blog, signature, telling other people) or they don't. But why would you bother someone that's not on staff with staff questions? Think of a DLoA as a vacation from work. Typically (personal experience tells me otherwise harhar) people on vacation from work aren't bothered with work questions. It's the same for staff here on PC.

Look, I know that members feel as if they are left out of the know when it comes to matters concerning the staff. But that's just it. The hows and whys are for the staff. What the members really just need to know is who's on staff currently, and we have a handy-dandy, always available, instantly updated staff roster linked at the bottom of the forum.

That, and the changeover for staff really isn't that large or that quick, like it is on SPPf. It's pointless to have a thread announcing very small changes to the staff.

And also I agree with Abnegation. He brings up points I would have said if I thought of them.

Note: Going to have to disagree with the twitter thing. How many members actually have a twitter to follow it? (Heck, I even forgot we have a twitter.)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I was going to respond with my opinions in supporting this, but Gavin and Astinus managed to sway that opinion.

But, sometimes, people don't know which higher staff member to go to to get things done quicker. A good amount of higher staff don't have that much experience in boards that they don't really understand (Game Development & Emulation being the two big ones), but there are a handfew that have a general (or moreso) of an understanding in it than others.

Someone suggested a list being put somewhere for members to refer to when someone's a moderator's in a demoted state that specifies the issue you're looking for and the person to go to for the quickest response, rather than sending it to someone who's on and relying on them to pass it along the grapevine.

I mean, you can tell someone to PM a higher staff member all you want, but there's no telling if you'll PM the right higher staff member.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Someone suggested a list being put somewhere for members to refer to when someone's a moderator's in a demoted state that specifies the issue you're looking for and the person to go to for the quickest response, rather than sending it to someone who's on and relying on them to pass it along the grapevine.

Last time I had to go away for some time, I wrote in my blog who to contact. I think that every section should have a "go to" list when a moderator for the section is unavailable.

Bay

Years

• Last time I had to go away for some time, I wrote in my blog who to contact. I think that every section should have a "go to" list when a moderator for the section is unavailable.
    Hm, that could work. I would think a sticky thread in the Community Questions and Feedback should do it.

EDIT (dang it people, stop posting while I'm trying to post, lol):

I check on my vacation time to see this thread. I could've sworn I've seen something similar, and that the h-staff didn't really have an issue with it, but that's not the point...I've read a lot of posts in this thread, and the one thing that pops up in head is

"Guys...why can't we leave the staff alone?" :(

Just saying, but this is from my...point of view. I could write a tl;dr basically explaining what that means, but in actuality it's really self-explanatory and it should be obvious enough for the majority to get it.
    Haha, yeah. It seems the people want certain issues to be taken care of as soon as possible and don't understand the staff has lives too.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hm, that could work. I would think a sticky thread in the Community Questions and Feedback should do it.
    We have too many stickies in CQ&F as it is... none of which I can really think of removing, unless you combine this thread idea with the resource thread Gavin made.

Bay

Years
  • We have too many stickies in CQ&F as it is... none of which I can really think of removing, unless you combine this thread idea with the resource thread Gavin made.
    Yeah, I checked the sticky threads just now and was thinking perhaps having that list thing be put in one of the threads instead. Gavin's thread resource one might be a good choice. Only thing is I wonder if the members will find that list.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • See that forum leaders list linked at the bottom of the main page? Those are the people you can contact if you need to contact anyone. They are the staff members that are currently active and able to do their job to (hopefully) full capacity. We don't need an explicit "X is on leave. X has come back. Y is demoted." You can see that right on the forum leaders page. And if you don't use that and say, right now you needed to contact the mod of G&P, you'd either go to the forum and see there's no mod (thus contact the higher staff) or, if you knew Abnegation was its mod, you'd go to his profile and realize he's not a mod right now and thus should not be contacted.

I just think it'd be totally pointless.

:/ I know I usually try to direct people to the "right" higher staff member if they contact me and I don't know the answer, or don't know as well as someone else might. That's really the most I'd be willing to enforce here. We don't need a list that we already have.

Melody

Banned
    Years

• And Pachy, your points are irellevant, you are here long enough now to know who to call on if there isn't a staff member for a section, so your points are pretty much nulled seing as in you didn't really state any other points that I can see. Regardless, even if they were just on a DLoA, you wouldn't "call on" them anyway, you would still go to a H-staff member. Your concern from wat I can see as well as a lot of members' is purely down to your own speculation. Just PM a given staff member if you're really concerned, if you ask nicely; they may just reply if their reasoning for not being staff at that time isn't one crippling their motivation to do so.

You forgot one thing though. I wasn't necessarily referring to myself. I may know who to talk to, but your average n00b DOES NOT KNOW.

However I do support a nice "Go-to" list in the resource thread. That would indeed be an acceptable substitute.

Look, we never ask who is suspended or kicked off. Just a list.
    X has been promoted.
    X has been demoted.
    Demotions don't get listed if they're just suspended/on leave or whatever...only if they're indefinitely removed from staff. No details are needed. We don't need to know why they're gone. We don't need to know if they quit or if they were suspended or if they're on leave.

It's not redundant. It's a list that supersedes the Forum Leaders page as a supplement. If you're on DLoA you aren't on the Forum Leaders page, and that can be confusing. If people on leave can be left on the list, then a thread would be redundant, but if they can't then it isn't redundant or pointless. It's just letting people know who comes and goes. The why is irrelevant and I agree that it's not something that needs to be listed. Just who. No why. Just who. Get it? Capiche? Have I been crystal clear?

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I have as much curiosity as the next guy on what the heck is going on between the lines(not really but it seems like a proper time to say it), but honestly, I respect staff privacy and if they don't choose to say it, and if they don't choose for that type of information to get out, then it shouldn't, lol. And no one should force that to get out, either.

If I am reading correctly you might need to re-read Pachy's post, if you read it at all. We don't want to pry out info, or breach their privacy, we just want to know who is a staff member and who isn't, and who has swapped Moderating sections of the forum at all times. I don't see how that could possibly be an invasion of privacy :/

But in saying that, Lightning is right, the Forum leaders page is good enough I guess. I have been around here long enough, and I know who is a staff and what not, so that page is completely fine. [that page is basically all I was asking for [with section changes too] Twilight Sky, see no invasion of privacy there :) )

Thanks for hearing out my ideas guys~

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    You forgot one thing though. I wasn't necessarily referring to myself. I may know who to talk to, but your average n00b DOES NOT KNOW.

Then you tell them to contact higher staff, they'd still need to be directed to where the list is you know. Most people on forums know how they work very quickly.

As for the rest of your rant, we heard you the first time, thanks for your point, no need to say it again.

The thread should have been closed with Erica's post, there's no further debate needed on a suggestion (which was plausible to make - so thank you), that is unneeded and merely an oversight of alternative methods of working around this situation which are just as easy.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • While it is certainly "easy enough" to find out who is still staff and who isn't, most n00bs either won't bother, or are too afraid to try. It's amusing how you guys can argue against a perfectly plausible idea when it makes the way you're doing it the 'hard' way. :<

Seriously, where's the harm in it? As I said before, Forum Leaders page doesn't show who's permanently demoted...It just shows who has the powers of the offices at the given moment. If it's possible to update that in a way to redirect queries to the proper person, then it's fine and dandy, but if it's not...then we ought to at least have a list of who on the h-staff knows about each section. It isn't difficult. It isn't invasive. It's merely easier if the Forum Leaders page doesn't give you the information you needed.

Redundancy in moderation isn't bad, it's only redundancy for the sake of redundancy which is rarely any good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back