• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Starter Would You Choose From Each Gen?

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
1. Charmander - Charizard was my childhood.

2. Totodile - My favourite type, based on one of my favourite animals and it always looks so cheerful!

3. Mudkip - My favourite type and Mega Swampert is awesome.

4. Piplup - I love Water and I love penguins.

5. Oshawott- Again #toomuchwater , I find this Gen's starters to be the least appealing which makes Oshawott an easy choice by default.

6. Fennekin - Probably the cutest first stage starter IMO and Braixen is my all-time favourite second stage for any starter.

Years
A 'noob' trainer is not a question of observing statistics, which are neither necessary nor independent from moves, type, etc., and doing so would not make them otherwise, although they wouldn't have to otherwise. That said, it's unlikely that you'd wish to ask which starter people would choose, and then change this question to in fact what they think some random hypothetical person other than them would choose. In addition, it seems a bit of a strange move to invite people into your thread to answer a question, and then insult them.

In any case, to answer the original question. Going by the ones which are immediately inimical to the game and its antagonism to the player:

1: Bulbasaur. If the game is supposed to be easy, then Bulbasaur. If the game is supposed to be hard, then Bulbasaur.
2: Cyndaquil.
3: This is sort of ambiguous, but while Mudkip does have some amount of advantage when it comes to the early gyms, you can't help but feel that by Wattson it's hanging on a bit in that respect. As such, you can go with that, but you can't help but figure you might be being subtly encouraged to just catch a Poochyena or such and then use that as such.
4: Turtwig. Really it's the only acceptable one, in a sense, given the more 'cutesy' design, but anyway.
5: Snivy.
6: Chespin. There is no other way. It's X and Y, use chance.

Gen 3: Treeko: When Birch is running around like an idiot and I have two seconds to decide, I ain't defending him with a chicken. Only one pokemon looks ready to whoop ass and that's the tree lizard.
I mean, there's no rush there (the world burns later anyway, by this standard), and in any case the Zigzagoon/Poochyena isn't supposed to be difficult. It seems weird to not mind a chicken (or a Mudkip) in battles, but that when Birch is running around your choice would ignore actually causing the Zigzagoon/Poochyena problems in favour of the Pokémon's aesthetic. For the fear of Zigzagoon, there's a trade-off, you might pick Treecko.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 5, 2016
1. Charmander. I was super into that one episode with Charmander when I was a kid, there's no way I wouldn't pick the cute lil fire lizard.

2. Cyndaquil--absolutely adorable in the first stage, pretty badass in the last stage. Chikorita's a close second; Totodile never really grew on me.

3. Mudkip! (Lemme babble about that time I accidentally got a shiny Mudkip as a starter for my AS game, because man that run made me fall head over heels in love with my purple Swampert.)

4. Chimchar. He's the only one of this gen where I'm fond of every stage of the evolution line.

5. Snivy!

6. Chespin. He was my first starter for XY and really grew on me.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
A 'noob' trainer is not a question of observing statistics, which are neither necessary nor independent from moves, type, etc., and doing so would not make them otherwise, although they wouldn't have to otherwise. That said, it's unlikely that you'd wish to ask which starter people would choose, and then change this question to in fact what they think some random hypothetical person other than them would choose. In addition, it seems a bit of a strange move to invite people into your thread to answer a question, and then insult them.

In any case, to answer the original question. Going by the ones which are immediately inimical to the game and its antagonism to the player:

1: Bulbasaur. If the game is supposed to be easy, then Bulbasaur. If the game is supposed to be hard, then Bulbasaur.
2: Cyndaquil.
3: This is sort of ambiguous, but while Mudkip does have some amount of advantage when it comes to the early gyms, you can't help but feel that by Wattson it's hanging on a bit in that respect. As such, you can go with that, but you can't help but figure you might be being subtly encouraged to just catch a Poochyena or such and then use that as such.
4: Turtwig. Really it's the only acceptable one, in a sense, given the more 'cutesy' design, but anyway.
5: Snivy.
6: Chespin. There is no other way. It's X and Y, use chance.

I mean, there's no rush there (the world burns later anyway, by this standard), and in any case the Zigzagoon/Poochyena isn't supposed to be difficult. It seems weird to not mind a chicken (or a Mudkip) in battles, but that when Birch is running around your choice would ignore actually causing the Zigzagoon/Poochyena problems in favour of the Pokémon's aesthetic. For the fear of Zigzagoon, there's a trade-off, you might pick Treecko.

I feel like I've offended you and I didn't actually mean to, sorry. By n00b, I meant complete pokemon newbie, no knowledge of type advantage, movesets, stats, IVs, EVs etc. In that case, one has to assume that you don't know which pokemon causes poochyena problems, you don't know that Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle have difficulty levels attached, and you don't know the gym typings because you've never left home before, let alone travelled the region.

The Prof. is asking you to choose the pokemon which, in all likelihood will be your game-long companion, which will you take and raise as the first living creature you've ever had full responsibility for in your life? Which ones call to you?

Years
I feel like I've offended you and I didn't actually mean to, sorry.
I don't really care, I'm not offended although you may feel that way and I'm sorry that you do. I'm just pointing out that the thread, which was addressed to any user on this forum, was a peculiar way of doing so, and likewise a strange thing to expect to be left untouched on. If you take everything personally, for absolutely no reason, it seems even more inexplicable that at some point you don't find it an issue.

(If you were Otamajakushi it would at least be mildly fun. You're slightly different, mostly I suppose to your detriment?)

In that case, one has to assume that you don't know which pokemon causes poochyena problems
Or about why one is afraid of Poochyena/Zigzagoon, in a battle? (In any case I didn't talk about such a thing.) You don't just make one assumption in lieu of the other. You aren't Professor Birch, who is the one being chased. Choosing something because it's likely to be good at battling would make sense, many people perhaps do that more prosaically, you instead opted for the something on the basis of fear of Poochyena specifically, and perhaps not Flannery's Pokémon, who might also cause Birch some concerns, among others. Maybe it hurt your feelings, but that's no basis for taking Pokéballs.

Perhaps if the game is telling you that Poochyena is effective against its figures, who you have to beat, you might as well 'skip' the starters and catch a Poochyena. No reason for hatin' on a Poochyena. It could be worse, and the time gives it proof.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
I don't really care, I'm not offended although you may feel that way and I'm sorry that you do. I'm just pointing out that the thread, which was addressed to any user on this forum, was a peculiar way of doing so, and likewise a strange thing to expect to be left untouched on. If you take everything personally, for absolutely no reason, it seems even more inexplicable that at some point you don't find it an issue.

(If you were Otamajakushi it would at least be mildly fun. You're slightly different, mostly I suppose to your detriment?)

Or about why one is afraid of Poochyena/Zigzagoon, in a battle? (In any case I didn't talk about such a thing.) You don't just make one assumption in lieu of the other. You aren't Professor Birch, who is the one being chased. Choosing something because it's likely to be good at battling would make sense, many people perhaps do that more prosaically, you instead opted for the something on the basis of fear of Poochyena specifically, and perhaps not Flannery's Pokémon, who might also cause Birch some concerns, among others. Maybe it hurt your feelings, but that's no basis for taking Pokéballs.

Perhaps if the game is telling you that Poochyena is effective against its figures, who you have to beat, you might as well 'skip' the starters and catch a Poochyena. No reason for hatin' on a Poochyena. It could be worse, and the time gives it proof.

I'm not offended that someone offers a new perspective, that's what the forum is here for. I apologised because you picked up on my 'n00b' oversight, and since the forum caters for a diverse audience, how do I know you're not easily offended? I don't, therefore better to apologise.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Hmmm this is a fun topic to think about it. My instincts definitely lead me away from my actual favorites for sure sometimes

Gen 1: This was tough but I would've definitely chosen Squirtle for its cuteness

Gen 2: Totodile hands down

Gen 3: Mudkip was my original here and still my first choice if I was basing this off instinct (though if i did have the kowledge, treecko is my choice)

Gen 4: Chimchar, a cute fire monkey, yes please

Gen 5: Tepig, a cute fire pig, yes please part 2

Gen 6: Froakie, i feel no need to explain this lol

Lots of love for the water types and Fire, poor Grass types

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I always choose which one I instictively want the first time I play a new generation, haha. So with that in mind:

Kanto: Bulbasaur. It's blue sprite was super cute and so I had to choose it.
Johto: Totodile. Adorable crocodile Pokemon how could I not?
Hoenn: Mudkip. For pretty much same as Totodile.
Sinnoh: Chimchar. Fire monkey hell yes. Though in Chimchar's case I ended up restarting and choosing Turtwig who ended up as my favorite, haha.
Unova: Tepig. Though honestly while I loved the little pig I didn't want to evolve. So in the end I dropped it for another Pokemon. Snivy is my favorite from this gen now.
Kalos: Froakie. 'Cause adorable frogs ♥

yes I have noticed the two times when I chose the fire the grass started ended up being my favorite in the end ahah.

Mecha-Scrafty

Gastrodon shall rule us all.
Years
1. Squirtle, HYDRO PUMP!!!!

2. Cyndaquil, its so cute, Typhosion is one of my favorite pokemon, maybe not the best fire type but :3

3. torchic, also cute, but OP xD

4.Eh... oh look a bidoof.

5. Snivy, the grass-snake-king-looking-snake-pokemon.

6. Fennekin, its a little fire fox! But not like vulpix 'cause its a psychic type later on :D

Years
This is according to how my first run throughs were

Kanto: Squirtle! Cause I was very little and playing Blue. I also love turtles lol.
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Piplup, which I named Mumble.
Unova: Oshawott!
Kalos: Chespin <3

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
Years
Well, this will be fun.

1.Bulbasaur: Severely underrated, this guy gets Leech Seed at a super early level, also cute af.

2.Cyndaquil: Look at this precious baby how can you say no

3.Asddf: i canrt choose

4.Piplup: It's a small penguin baby that evolves into a Pokemon that looks good with a moustache

5.none: none of the gen v starters are good

6.Fennekin: Never evolve it because braixen and delphox are dumb and have sticks (who uses sticks seriously)

Back