• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Starter Would You Choose From Each Gen?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    Imagine you're a noob trainer who has no knowledge of stats etc, you get to see the three starters and their evolution chains. Assume all the pokemon would be equally happy to come with you or stay with your region's prof. Forget which ones your favourites are after play through with all of them, which did you instinctually WANT when you first saw it:

Gen 1: Charmander, I prefer Bulbasaur's overall design, but ultimately, gimme the massive fire-breathing lizard.

Gen 2:As much as I would LOVE to say I owned a hedgehog that could fart fire, Totodile just looks so happy, i'm taking him.

Gen 3: Treeko: When Birch is running around like an idiot and I have two seconds to decide, I ain't defending him with a chicken. Only one pokemon looks ready to whoop ass and that's the tree lizard.

Gen 4: Chimchar, fire monkey, nuff said.

Gen 5: Snivy, he or she looks like royalty, look at how smug and refined it looks. It looks real smart, like it schemes.

Gen 6: Fennekin, I love dogs, foxes and wolves n I am always a mage in RPGs

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • 1. I think Charmander was the one I was using before I knew about all and I've learn to know the Pokemon.

2. This is hard.. But if I do remmeber the very first time I've played, I'll go with Chickorita. It's hard because after a while I loved Cyndaquil, and now my favorite starter of all is Totodile... Gen 2 is my favorite <3

3. Torchic is the first I've choose. (Now my favorite is Treecko)

4. Turtwig, but I must be biased as I love the grass starters..

5. Snivy !! <3 So cute and Sassy!

6. Chespin. When I first saw the 3 starts Chespin is the one I knew I'll choose.

And as you can see, I love the Grass Starter.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    1 - Charmander - Go with the classic!

2 - Cyndaquil - I have some fond memories with Cyndaquil, so I would be inclined to always pick it. It was my first Gen 2 starter, and I'm just not inclined to pick Chikorita. Totodile is a good secondary choice!

3 - Treecko - An odd switch to the Grass starter here. If I had to revisit this decision I would keep the fire-train going. But, Treecko wins here because it was my first Gen 3 starter I picked. Treecko has that confident attitude I appreciate in a Pokemon.

4 - Chimchar - Yes. This was my first Gen 4 starter and we had some amazing years together defeating the Sinnoh region, the Johto region, and soon the Kalos and Hoenn regions. Mah boy.

5 - Oshawott - A very odd twist of events. I wasn't a fan of how fat Emboar was, even though Emboar is a fantastic Pokemon. I also liked the can-do attitude Oshawott has. Snivy is a good secondary choice here.

6 - Froakie - Frog. 'Nuff said.

I'll always say "Oh I prefer fire starters," but this is clearly not true. I have a very diverse selection here, and I appreciate that.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
  • I don't even know why I choose most of these Pokemon.

Gen 1 - Squirtle

Gen 2 - Chikorita

Gen 3 - Treecko

Gen 4 - Piplup (Anime reasons. Also wanted to pair up with a Pachirisu while I was at it)

Gen 5 - Snivy (The pig is ugly and Oshawott is not as good as Snivy)

Gen 6 - Fennekin

Gen HAX - Minun!!!!!!!!

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Charmander

Totodile (Cyndaquil is a very close second here)

Treecko

Chimchar

Oshawott

Fennekin

Fire is the best type, but every now and then another starter is good, too. Especially since Emboar is unbearably terrible in nearly every way.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • FUUUUUUU- I was just gonna make a thread like thisss... Oh nevermind at least it exists :D.

Gen 1: Charmander is shocking enough the only one whose entire line I have used, and it's final evo is the only fully evo starter from this gen that I brought to the league in a main series game. It's not that I prefer it, it's just like that. However, my MC in SMD is Bulbasaur and it was decent so I will probably pick him the nect time the gen1 starters are available. Not a massive fan of the water turtle tho.

Gen 2: Totodile. The only starter from this gen who I like, and I don't think it will change for a long while. I geuss it's mostly cause it was my first starter ever, but meh. About the other 2... They are okay I guess? I really don't want to be against Cyndaquil and his line, but I feel that they are natilly overrated on this site for some reason, but thankfully I am growing on them a bit... For now. And the grass guy is okay.

Gen 3: Mudkip was my first, though I am using Treecko and his line and they are proving to be solid. I'm hoping they won't fail me.

Gen 4: All? Okay, I don't have a favourite or least favourite from this gen. I personally feel all 3 of them are all eaqually cool and unique in their own way. So yeah, all of them.

Gen 5: I... Didn't like any of them. I guess maybe they were good, but not great, and they just weren't exactly the coolest starter in my eyes. My choices were Oshawott in BW1, Tepig in the sequels. Never picked Snivy before, but I want to as I want to see if it could reedewm it's team for me.

Gen 6: Froakie. It's the coolest of the 3, nuff said.

I seem to like water guys as it seems 8)

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Gen 1: Bulbasaur. I've used this line multiple times before, with a moveset of Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, and a filler move, and it's wonderful.

Gen 2: Totodile. My first starter ever. As a kid, I was always attracted towards blue Pokemon and Water starters, hence why I nearly always picked Totodile in Pokemon Silver. Its final evolution, Feraligatr, has a simplistic yet badass design, and is an awesome warrior with moves like Waterfall and Crunch.

Gen 3: I love all of them, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Mudkip because it's blue, a Water type, and very cute. Its evolution, Marshtomp, is adorable too.

Gen 4: Chimchar. This line has the stats and the movepool to be any kind of attacker you want. Honourable mention goes to Piplup because it's a specially strong Water type and I love penguins.

Gen 5: Snivy. I think Oshawott is ugly (even though I love its evolutions) and I'm disappointed with Tepig's line being another Fire/Fighting line. I do love the designs of the Snivy line, hence why I always picked them in the Gen 5 games. (I did, however, pick Oshawott in Pokemon Volt White, because Dewott and Samurott are Water/Fighting types in that game. But I still find Oshawott ugly.)

Gen 6: Froakie. I was one of the few people who loved Froakie upon reveal. And with Frogadier and Greninja being revealed, this love only increased.

Last edited:

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • 1. Charmander. I don't care, I'm a Charizard fanboy. Bulbasaur looks slow and unhelpful; Squirtle is alright though.

2. Totodile. It's a baby crocodile, what's not to love?! Cyndaquil and it's evolutions are the blandest starters in terms of design. Chikorita looks weak.

3. Treecko. Yeah, I like reptiles. Torchic is a close second and Mudkip is just bleh.

4. Piplup. BABY PENGUINS FTW!!! I also like the Turtwig line, but they are slow af. I have a phobia of monkeys so Chimchar can get lost, I ain't ever choosing that SOB.

5. Meh. If I have to have one, I guess it'd be Oshawott. It's the cutest, and Samurott is freaking awesome. Snivy is a weak design and ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING STARTER ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! Also, Tepig had potential but it's evolutions are shocking design-wise. Making them bipedal? Really? Could have made for an awesome-looking wild boar Pokemon, but no, instead we got a fat bipedal pig that looks like it can barely walk and looks like it was coloured in by a 5-year-old.

6. Chespin. Not a fan of the other two. Especially their evolutions. Delphox in particular is atrocious.

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • Gen 1: Charmander. He's a little fire lizard! What's not to like? Squirtle is okay, and I find Bulbasaur's evolutions a bit ugly imo.

Gen 2: Totodile, with Cyndaquil coming a close second. Chikorita never really stood out to me.

Gen 3: Treecko, duh. I like the other two, but Treecko will always be my fave <3

Gen 4: I think I picked Piplup on my first playthrough of Diamond, but my favourite is now Turtwig.

Gen 5: Snivy.

Gen 6: Froakie. I thought I would prefer Fennekin when I first saw it, but I didn't like its evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Charmander, Totodile, Torchic, Turtwig, Snivy, and Froakie, all ordered by generation. Rest of them are fantastic, but these will always be the starters I like most.

Years
  • Gen 1: I never properly played Kanto, but I'd pick Bulbasaur or Squirtle because you know... cute ftw

Gen 2: Cyndaquil. One of the rare cases I never picked Water. I did pick Totodile on one HG/SS game before my brother stole it though.

Gen 3: Mudkip. Yes am part of the "I liek mudkipz" clan. Mega Swampert also sold me when it came to OR/AS.

Gen 4: Tie between Piplup and Chimchar, but I use the latter more because I like monkeys (and it's my Chinese Zodiac sign as well so it makes sense).

Gen 5: Oshawott. You should all know by now.

Gen 6: Fennekin is good, but I really love Froakie best. Ninja frogs ftw

Yes you can easily tell I tend to pick the cute Water starters, which happens to be my fave type so not a surprise.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • I - Squirtle. I'm not really a fan of the other two starters.

II - Cyndaquil. I personally think it's quite adorable.

III - Mudkip. I'm really indifferent towards Treeko and Torchic is just meh.

IV - Turtwig, almost always. I mean, I like Piplup, but Turtwig will always hold a special place in my heart. As for Chimchar... basically I don't like monkeys.

V - Probably Snivy? I'm equally likely to go with Oshawott, but I think Snivy's design is pretty cool.

VI - Fennekin. I'm not really a big fan of frogs, though I do think Greninja looks really cool. Chespin is pretty meh.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gen I - Bulbasaur
    I've always had a fondness towards Bulbasaur, it seems to come across as the less popular choice of the three. Design wise Bulbasaur is my favourite though, closely followed by Squirtle.

Gen II - Totodile

First choice back playing Silver for the first time, my favourite of the three Johto starters. Also the first Pokemon when it became a Feraligatr that I'd ever levelled up to 100.

Gen III - Torchic
    This one was tough, I find it difficult to pick a favourite of the Hoenn starters. I've actually used all three starters at some point, and all of their evolutionary lines are equally as good in different ways. The reason I chose Torchic is purely because it was my first choice when playing Sapphire.

Gen IV - Piplup
    This was close between Piplup and Turtwig, but the Water/Steel typing combination that Empoleon gains gives it the edge over the Turtwig line for me.

Gen V - Tepig
    Not much of a fan of the Unova starters, but Tepig easily wins over the other two for me.

Gen VI - Fennekin
    This was an easy choice once again, design wise and typing wise the Fennekin line is by far my favourite of the Kalos starters.

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    Gen 1: I never properly played Kanto, but I'd pick Bulbasaur or Squirtle because you know... cute ftw
    Would you mind writing on my wall or redirecting me to your first gen experience.

Gen 1: I picked Squirtle first
    Now any of the 3 they are all good. Charmander was last picked in XY
    Gen 2: I picked Chikorita first I think.
    Either Chikorita or Totodile since the last Johto starter was Cyndaquil in HGSS.
    Gen 3: I picked Mudkip or Torchic first.
    I have the fondest memories with Meganium in Gold, and Swampert in Saphire.
    Gen 4: Piplup
    I boxed my Prinplup (traded to Gym Leader Jasmine.) Shinx was my real starter of that gen. I would pick Infernape next
    Gen 6: Fennekin.
    Froakie next time.

I skipped pokemon BW.... lol..... I didn't pick Tepig yet.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Except for Gen 5, it's Fire all the way.

Gen 1: In all Kanto games, I use Charmander most of the time, and Bulbasaur otherwise. Sorry Squirtle, but other Water types interest me more. It's better than Yellow Pikachu, though. You don't want to evolve? Then get off my team.

Gen 2: As much as I like Chikorita and Totodile, Cyndaquil wins this one, hands down. In addition to being my very first starter, its entire line is the perfect blend of adorable and bad-ass. My favorite starter by far.

Gen 3: I love all of the Hoenn starters almost equally, but to me, Torchic is only very slightly above the others. These are probably my favorite set of starters overall.

Gen 4: They're all great, but Chimchar is my favorite of the three.

Gen 5: The first Gen where the Fire starter isn't my favorite. I just prefer Oshawott, both in design and overall usefulness. Although I wasn't too fond of it at first, I came to really like the Tepig line. Snivy is probably my least favorite of the three, but it's alright.

Gen 6: I love the Fennekin line. Adorable and bad-ass at the same time. To me, it's the best of the three in-game. Chespin line is also great, though not as awesome as Fennekin imo. I despise Froakie for various reasons. My least favorite starter thus far.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I tend to always go for water types. As a new trainer, I suppose the coloring of the art drew me in (blue is my favorite color), and water is my favorite type. So, now I tend to figure that I'll play with the water type on my main file, regardless of who the "best" starter is. That's what breeding is for later on.

Anyway:

I: Squirtle. Blastoise was the first Pokemon I ever saw, and it's what drew me to the series. (Although I ended up buying Red rather than Blue--still not sure if I should have done that.) Sure, Charizard was popular, but Blastoise looked like a turtle and had giant water cannons. And as water beats fire was one of the most obvious type matchups, what better way to beat all of those popular Charizards than with my trusty Blastoise. No one used Venusaur, anyway.

II: Totodile. It was a cute crocodile, definitely my favorite of the bunch at first glance. I don't recall if I picked it because it was a water type, or if I simply liked the way it looked the best. Probably a combination. In any event, that's what cemented my water-type starter bias for the rest of my Pokemon-playing years to date.

III: Mudkip. I was hooked on water by that point, and I didn't care for the look of the other starters. I also heard that it became part ground upon evolution, and I loved Quagsire in GSC, so I wanted another water type that was immune to electric attacks.

IV: Piplup. Water once again, and I liked penguins.

V: Oshawott. Water, and otters are cool. I never cared for the look of Snivy, and Tepig went downhill after it evolved.

VI: Froakie. I felt so-so about its design in the initial concept art (like Chespin better), but figured I would go with water anyway. It was a good choice, and I didn't like where evolution took the other Kalos starters, so Froakie it was.

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
  • Gen 1: Bulbasaur - First starter ever. Still prefer the green frog dino thing over Charmander and Squirtle. Also #1.

Gen 2: Totodile - Smile.

Gen 3: Mudkip - I love it's face. Marshtomp was a little bit of a downer, but Swampert and Mudkip make up for it.

Gen 4: Chimchar - lol

Gen 5: Oshawott - Worst gen.. (imo) The Oshawott line is the only one that looked a tad bit appealing.

Gen 6: Froakie - Honestly it was a tie between the frog and Chespin. So much hate on the frog before the final evos were revealed. I like him though. :c

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • 1. Bulbasaur is one of my favorite Pokémon ever.
    2. Totodile, for the same reason as everyone else. That smile :D
    3. I honestly don't really like any of them that much, but I went with Mudkip in AS so we'll say that.
    4. Chimchar is adorbs and also destroys the first two gyms.
    5. I like all of them a lot :) Probably Tepig.
    6. I picked Chespin, but I think I like the fire-type one whose name escapes me better.

Back