• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2015
    So for my roserade, I'm currently using one with the moves Engery ball, Sludge bomb, toxic spikes, and dazzling gleam with it holding a leftovers.
    I plan on breeding another one for a better nature and ivs, what would work better with that moveset; timid or modest?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    So for my roserade, I'm currently using one with the moves Engery ball, Sludge bomb, toxic spikes, and dazzling gleam with it holding a leftovers.
    I plan on breeding another one for a better nature and ivs, what would work better with that moveset; timid or modest?
    Depends on the format you use it in. We think you are talking about Singles because of Toxic Spikes.

Big news: Spikes + Sleep Powder is legal now. If you want to breed a Pokemon make sure that every move you plan to use is in the initial movelist so that you can swap them out when you like. Those two egg moves are obvious, but Roserade also have a lot of moves only the preevo can learn. Unfortunately you can only take four moves with you. Those moves you have to keep an eye on: Leaf Storm, Sleep Powder, Synthesis and Extrasensory are pretty neat for an offensive set while a defensive one has to juggle with Sleep Powder, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Synthesis and Giga Drain.
    Do not forget: The Pokemon can remember any move it had on level 1. You can force level-up moves form the preevo onto the set by having those on both parents.

As for sets:

Roserade @ Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs Lv 100: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    EVs Lv 50: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Extrasensory / Hidden Power Fire / Sleep Powder
    - Sleep Powder / Synthesis / Rest / Spikes

Pretty selfexplainatory: Leaf Storm is a nuke and Sludge Bomb is the secondary coverage. It sounds weird, but Dazzling Gleam does not offer coverage at all. Grass/Poison is walled by Steel as well as Poison types and they resist Fairy just fine. Extrasensory deals a bit more damage against Heracross and covers Poinson types like Toxicroak and Crobat while Hidden Power Fire hit through Steels, however, Hidden Power Fire is hard to breed on unless you have the correct parents and Extrasensory requires you to use the Rose Incense instead of an Everstone. Sleep Powder can be used on the third slot if obtaining either of the alternatives is too difficult.
    The fourth slots is mostly filler. Sleep Power is powerful if you can catch a counter on the switch. If it is already used you can try healing or Spikes. Synthesis is classic healing while Rest has some synergy with Natural Cure, allowing you to fully restor your health and heal the status on switch - still it forces you to switch which is something to keep in mind.

Roserade @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs Lv 100: 104 Spd / 164 SDef / 240 HP
    EVs Lv 50: 108 Spd / 148 SDef / 252 HP
    Calm Nature
    - Spikes
    - Sleep Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb

This is a fine role, too and is much less breeding extensive. As said, Sleep Powder + Spikes is the highlight of this generation. The speed allows you to outspeed Honchkrow and to put it down in time. If you need more recovery you can try to fit in Rest or Synthesis, but it is not really necessary when you can put them to sleep instead.

Shhmew

Years
  • So I really really want to breed an Eevee to evolve into Jolteon, and I wanted to give it HP Ice. In order to achieve this I know it needs to have two even IVs, so I've been trying to find Dittos with 30 IVs in defense. So far I've gotten two that have 28 in defense. Should I keep trying or is 28 fine? I imagine Jolteon can't take a physical hit either way, so it shouldn't matter much. On the other hand, I don't want to just settle with this and have it make a noticeable difference later. What do?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So I really really want to breed an Eevee to evolve into Jolteon, and I wanted to give it HP Ice. In order to achieve this I know it needs to have two even IVs, so I've been trying to find Dittos with 30 IVs in defense. So far I've gotten two that have 28 in defense. Should I keep trying or is 28 fine? I imagine Jolteon can't take a physical hit either way, so it shouldn't matter much. On the other hand, I don't want to just settle with this and have it make a noticeable difference later. What do?

Just keep the 28; Jolteon's Defense is terrible anyways. HP Ice just needs this following IV spread (3 of 4 actually; in order of HP/Atk/Def/SAtk/SDef/Spe): even/odd/even/odd/odd/odd, odd/even/even/odd/odd/odd or even/even/even/odd/odd/odd.

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
    Years
  • Brave bird or close combat

Hey guys.

Just wanted to get people's opinions, witch would you rather use;

Close combat:
    Lowers sp.defense and defense

Or

Brave bird:
    Has recoil to HP
    And
    Flare Blitz:
    Has recoil to HP

On a Staraptor and Infernape

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Hey guys.

Close combat:

Or

Brave bird:
    Has recoil to HP
    And
    Flare Blitz:
    Has recoil to HP

Staraptor and Infernape both kinda need those moves. Not so much Flare Blitz on Infernape (since Infernape can go mixed and just use Overheat/Fire Blast), but Staraptor needs Brave Bird for the raw power (STAB Brave Bird+Choice Band+Reckless=stuff dies) and Close Combat to get past Rock types and Steel types. Infernape needs the power of Close Combat (base 108 Attack isn't exactly earth-shattering), and its defenses are pretty bad, as are Staraptor's, so the defense drop isn't really that detrimental.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey guys.

Close combat:

Or

Brave bird:
    Has recoil to HP
    And
    Flare Blitz:
    Has recoil to HP

Brave Bird is a superior move on Staraptor, due to STAB. Ideally, you should have both, as Close Combat offers useful coverage on various Pokemon like Rock- and Steel-types. As for Infernape, it depends. Fighting is arguably the more useful STAB, but Fire is superior when it has sun support. Additionally, Close Combat has less of a disadvantage compared to Flare Blitz. Most attacks will KO Infernape easily, so it rarely cares about the decreased defenses. Flare Blitz, on the other hand, hinders Infernape's longevity. Infernape normally doesn't last long in battle, so that matters significantly. Again, you should have both moves on Infernape, as both moves are important for its success.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Currently my Mawile looks like this. I am wondering. I played against someone using Power-up Punch with it. Granted it was bulkier it seemed. Wondering if it is Viable with this Mawile I am using. I was also thinking of using safeswagger with it where by end of turn 2 it would be a mega with +3 attack

Mawile @ Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 40 Def / 36 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Iron Head
    - Sucker Punch/ Power Up Punch?
    - Protect

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I wanna try out Tyranitar, I'm thinking of using one that can set up stealth rock but I'm not pretty sure about the EV spread. Any suggestions? O_O

Tyranitar:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Crunch
    -Stone Edge/Ice Beam
    -Earthquake
    Nature: Impish/Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I wanna try out Tyranitar, I'm thinking of using one that can set up stealth rock but I'm not pretty sure about the EV spread. Any suggestions? O_O
    Tyranitar is pretty flexible, you can slap SR on basically any set and it will work (AV notwithstanding). However, There are two sets that stand out.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    EVs: 4 Spd / 252 SDef / 240 HP / 12 Atk
    EVs Lv 50: 4 Spd / 252 SDef / 252 HP
    Sassy Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit
    - Stone Edge / Crunch
    - Fire Blast

Simple tank Tyranitar is simple. It has sky high SDef in sand, making it sturdy on teh special side despite its weaknesses. You can even survive Charizard-Y's Solar Beam outside of sandstorm, allowing you to snipe it down easily. Fire Blast won't OHKO anything but incoming Scizors, but can finish off slightly weakenend Ferrothorns and Excadrills.
    If you want Crunch instead of Stone Miss, you can pull off 112 points from SDef into Atk in order to OHKO common Latiases after SR. It also safer than Stone Edge in taking down Charizard-Y after SR. An alternative item is the Chople Berry which allows you to survive Aegislash's Sacred Sword and to OHKO it with Crunch. Note, that you are quite vulnerable to WoW Talonflames when you leave or Stone Edge, but metagame dictates that it has to get out as fast as possible anyway (ergo, Pursuit target).

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast / Ice Beam
    - Low Kick / Ice Beam

This Tyranitar can surprise quite a few opponents who expect the regular HP / Atk one. It is best used as a lead - it sets SR on those who cannot hurt it (or who expects that they cannot hurt it) and retaliates against offensive opponents with massive damage. The speed also allows you to outrun many Heatrans and Scizors who think it is safe to U-Turn out of a normally slow Tyranitar. Fire Blast and Low Kick cover Scizors, Ferrothorns and Heatrans while Ice Beam covers Garchomp and friends (straight kill against anyone but Dragonite).

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Currently my Mawile looks like this. I am wondering. I played against someone using Power-up Punch with it. Granted it was bulkier it seemed. Wondering if it is Viable with this Mawile I am using. I was also thinking of using safeswagger with it where by end of turn 2 it would be a mega with +3 attack

Mawile @ Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 40 Def / 36 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Iron Head
    - Sucker Punch/ Power Up Punch?
    - Protect
    I think Safeswagger sounds like a nice way to stop burns and allow Mawile to focus on offense while its teammate does the setting-up for it. I'd go for Sucker Punch over Power up Punch, because priority is really important. I'd also think that having +2 and being able to attack with a strong move on that same turn would be more useful in the long-run than using a weaker move (Power up Punch) on that turn to have +3 later on. Iron Head doesn't hit much that Play Rough doesn't, so if you really wanted to swap out a move, I'd think Iron Head is less important than Sucker Punch. I'm hoping someone else here can give a second opinion on this.

A question I have: Should I invest 88 speed EVs into my Adamant Samurott (base 70) to outspeed defensive base 80s? My Samurott has Swords Dance, Aqua Jet, Megahorn, and Razor Shell. I'm not using this Samurott in any specific tier, so considering things like Venusaur, Togekiss, and so forth are in my mind. This issue came to mind when I realized my friend's Meganium was able to outspeed me. Although I'm not sure if its worth giving up the bulk.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • hey i need help with my crobat's EV spread
    note: keep in mind i mainly play UU
    its set so far is:

Crobat
    Infiltrator
    Jolly
    31/31/31/x/31/31
    -Brave Bird
    -Defog
    -Roost
    -U-Turn

its primary purpose is to get rid of hazards
    which spread would be better?

4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
    So that it can be offensive after hazards are gone
    It would be more useful if the opponent doesn't even carry rocks/hazards
    (if i were to go with this set, would life orb or black sludge be better?)

248 HP / 8 Att / 252 Spe
    To make up for rocks and recoil damage
    (with this it would be holding black sludge)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    A question I have: Should I invest 88 speed EVs into my Adamant Samurott (base 70) to outspeed defensive base 80s? My Samurott has Swords Dance, Aqua Jet, Megahorn, and Razor Shell. I'm not using this Samurott in any specific tier, so considering things like Venusaur, Togekiss, and so forth are in my mind. This issue came to mind when I realized my friend's Meganium was able to outspeed me. Although I'm not sure if its worth giving up the bulk.
    Usually you won't need speed thanks to the access to a priority finisher. Specially defensive Togekiss is 2HKOed by Waterfall + Aqua Jet unless you want a OHKO after SR (but in that case you might use max Atk/Spe anyway). Venusaur should be considered a full stop to any Samurott and Meganium is simply not notable enough to warrant attention unless you are specifically counter teaming your friend. However if you use Samurott in the lower tiers you will have to be aware of Custap-Splosion Golem, Marowak and Armaldo while Scizor and Hippowdon are things in the higher tiers. 56 EVs at level 100 or 60 EVs at level 50 let you outspeed these guys. This will be enough because the next notable speed jump is at neutral 252.

hey i need help with my crobat's EV spread
    its set so far is:

Crobat
    Infiltrator
    Jolly
    31/31/31/x/31/31
    -Brave Bird
    -Defog
    -Roost
    -U-Turn

4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe

248 HP / 8 Att / 252 Spe

Crobat has quite a 4MSS this generation. We would the the spread with more HP, but be sure to have Taunt in order to prevent the hazards from entering the field again. You can use it in the place of U-Turn.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • hey i need help with my crobat's EV spread
    its set so far is:

Crobat
    Infiltrator
    Jolly
    31/31/31/x/31/31
    -Brave Bird
    -Defog
    -Roost
    -U-Turn

4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
    (if i were to go with this set, would life orb or black sludge be better?)

248 HP / 8 Att / 252 Spe
    (with this it would be holding black sludge)

168 HP/140 Atk/200 Spe is the ideal spread. This spread gives Crobat enough power to 2HKO frail attackers like Greninja with Brave Bird and OHKO those that are weak to it. It also gives Crobat enough Speed to outspeed Noivern.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • Crobat has quite a 4MSS this generation. We would the the spread with more HP, but be sure to have Taunt in order to prevent the hazards from entering the field again. You can use it in the place of U-Turn.

okay, good point i'll include that

168 HP/140 Atk/200 Spe is the ideal spread. This spread gives Crobat enough power to 2HKO frail attackers like Greninja with Brave Bird and OHKO those that are weak to it. It also gives Crobat enough Speed to outspeed Noivern.

oh i just added an edit, i didn't realize i'd get such quick responses
    i meant to include that i'm mainly using this for UU, so would that spread still be optimal?
    also, should i have 252 speed to outspeed anything that's scarfed?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    i meant to include that i'm mainly using this for UU, so would that spread still be optimal?
    also, should i have 252 speed to outspeed anything that's scarfed?
    You won't earn a lot of EVs by cutting your speed because Weavile and Alakazam are right behind. We also wouldn't recommend to invest in Atk too much unless you do stall breaking, which is not the purpose of this set. However, dump the last points into SDef, so that the Pogygons won't download SAtk.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • You won't earn a lot of EVs by cutting your speed because Weavile and Alakazam are right behind. We also wouldn't recommend to invest in Atk too much unless you do stall breaking, which is not the purpose of this set. However, dump the last points into SDef, so that the Pogygons won't download SAtk.

okay, yeah i agree with those points. good call on the SpD haha

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    HailRoom viable for VGC 2014? That's the team I've been breeding but I'm not sure how it will compete against other teams I've been seeing.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    HailRoom viable for VGC 2014? That's the team I've been breeding but I'm not sure how it will compete against other teams I've been seeing.

That would be a lot harder to pull of this Gen due to the perma-weather nerf. If this was last gen, then I'd say go for it, but nowadays....

But what exactly is the team you plan to use? We'd have a better idea if we saw the whole team. I think.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back