• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Driving pet peeves.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Okay, so not everyone drives, but mostly everyone in the first world has been in a car so this can apply to you as well.

What's your biggest driving pet peeves? List as many as you'd like.

My biggest ones are:
    1. People who don't wave or show any appreciation when I let them go, especially in heavy traffic. I'm a very courteous driver. I yield my right of way to people all the time because it just makes me happy when someone is coureous enough to do that to me. A simple nod, a smile in my direction, putting your hand up... is that too much to ask for?
    2. People who slow down at the sight of an accident to watch what's going on. This also applies to people who slow down to watch anything going on at the side of the road.
    3. Tailgaters. I don't need you up my ass, thank you very much! It makes me weary on turning when I have to. Mr Cat Dog can attest to this.
    4. People who yield rather than stop at stop signs. OR WORSE. People who completely go through a stop sign.
    5. PUT YOUR TURN SIGNAL ON WHEN YOU'RE TURNING AT LEAST 100 FEET BEFORE YOU TURN SO I DON'T HAVE TO SLAM ON MY BREAKS WHEN YOU DECIDE YOU WANT TO MAKE A HASTY TURN!
    6. Squirrels. Perhaps the dumbest animal in the world when on the road. I get that you're scared, but don't move towards a moving car, move away from it.
    7. PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHEN THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!!! Go read your driver's manual one more time.
    8. Drivers who are waiting to turn on my side of the road and aren't looking in my direction. I don't know when they're going to turn and it makes me more terrified than tailgaters do.

So I listed mine. What are some of yours?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    1. People who don't wave or show any appreciation when I let them go, especially in heavy traffic. I'm a very courteous driver. I yield my right of way to people all the time because it just makes me happy when someone is coureous enough to do that to me. A simple nod, a smile in my direction, putting your hand up... is that too much to ask for?
    5. PUT YOUR TURN SIGNAL ON WHEN YOU'RE TURNING AT LEAST 100 FEET BEFORE YOU TURN SO I DON'T HAVE TO SLAM ON MY BREAKS WHEN YOU DECIDE YOU WANT TO MAKE A HASTY TURN!
    8. Drivers who are waiting to turn on my side of the road and aren't looking in my direction. I don't know when they're going to turn and it makes me more terrified than tailgaters do.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Oh and when people look at me at red lights. I can feel you staring at me, and I know you're jealous of my etch-a-sketch, but it's just awkward and I don't want to have to look back.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Im not a driver, but I have some annoyances that I see people do while driving
    1. People that dont use turn signals
    2. People that drive too slow/ way under the speed limit.
    3. People that come to a 4 way stop, know they have the right of way and yet refuse to go.
    4. Rubbernecking. Its rude to stop just to view an accident in my opinion.
    5. Tailgating
    5. General driving like a crazy person.
    6. Texting while driving, dont do it, its a distraction and people need to be looking at the road, it can wait.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Okay, so not everyone drives, but mostly everyone in the first world has been in a car so this can apply to you as well.

My biggest ones are:
    2. People who slow down at the sight of an accident to watch what's going on. This also applies to people who slow down to watch anything going on at the side of the road.
    3. Tailgaters. I don't need you up my ass, thank you very much! It makes me weary on turning when I have to. Mr Cat Dog can attest to this.
    4. People who yield rather than stop at stop signs. OR WORSE. People who completely go through a stop sign.
    6. Squirrels. Perhaps the dumbest animal in the world when on the road. I get that you're scared, but don't move towards a moving car, move away from it.
    7. PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHEN THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!!! Go read your driver's manual one more time.

So I listed mine. What are some of yours?

SERIOUSLY! BRAV****INGOH! -- you just listed pretty much all of mine right there. But one thing that really bugs me is when someone goes UNDER the speed limit in the left hand lane on the Interstate. FFS, get out of the way! MOVE!

Yes, yes and yes.

Oh and when people look at me at red lights. I can feel you staring at me, and I know you're jealous of my etch-a-sketch, but it's just awkward and I don't want to have to look back.

Girl, I don't know you, but I am totally going to look at everyone around me... lol, I don't know why I do but I do.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I don't have many driving pet peeves, honestly.

It does bother me when people don't put their turn signals on until the last second, though. Or when they turn one on, change their mind, and quickly switch to the other just before they turn. Almost got into a car accident the other day because of that.

Oh and when large trucks go to turn into the lane next to you and there's that moment of fear when they come 2 feet from hitting you. :T

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I don't drive, but here is my pet peeves:
    1. Anyone that goes too fast or too slow on the road.
    2. Anyone that eats/drinks/looks at map/uses a mobile at the wheel. For God sake, you're gonna kill someone because you're not focused on the road.
    3. No indicators of where the other cars are going.
    4. people reversing in your way. This is my most HATED thing on the road because of the other person's stupidity.

I wonder how many squirrels are reading/have read this thread as of late.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    Girl, I don't know you, but I am totally going to look at everyone around me... lol, I don't know why I do but I do.
    See when we exchange glances it's like we're about to start a race when the light turns green hahaha.

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
    Years
  • Depending on the severity and where the accident is, I think it's law here to slow down, to prevent the victims of the accident and any emergency workers that are helping getting hit by other cars. I agree you shouldn't be oogling though.

One thing that gets to me is buses. The fact that they have right of way when pulling out from the curb seems to make them think they don't need to look when doing so.. I've been right next to a bus when it's put it's indicator on to pull away from the curb and it has almost run me off the road because they assumed no one was there.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Okay, so not everyone drives, but mostly everyone in the first world has been in a car so this can apply to you as well.

My biggest ones are:

I agree like 1,000,000% on those. I witness them thousands of times since I started driving in 2004.

For me the worst, I mean the worst:
    I don't mind sharing the road with cyclist, but just wish that they didn't ride as they own the roads - [I have almost hit 18 cyclist this way, when all of a sudden go in front of my vehicle]. Weave lane by lane without looking or signaling, and cross the lights in red.

^ Similar with Pedestrians.

another:

People drive their cars too fast for dangerous conditions (like in my area Seattle, standing water, rain, snow, or with too much sun glare). [During rainy times I've been guilty of the opposite, I tend to drive a little to slow, 1-3 under the limit]

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I don't have a car, considering my age, but I've been in plenty of situations where I just want to shoot the person in front of us because he drives extremely slow.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I cannot stand headlights. I hate when it looks like someone is flashing headlights at me. For one, if headlights are on, it's likely dark so I have no damn clue if you are a cop or an ass trying to throw me off. And two, it's distracting. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY TO ME.

The only time I was pulled over was when a state trooper flashed their headlights at me, which I learned NOTHING about in driver's ed, so I was just like "what. the. hell." about it. So even when I see someone's headlights just looking as if they're flashing, I will dislike you.

I hate those damn blue and purple lights too. They're not cool, they're not cutting edge, they are silly and the blue ones make me think you're cops.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I cannot stand headlights. I hate when it looks like someone is flashing headlights at me. For one, if headlights are on, it's likely dark so I have no damn clue if you are a cop or an ass trying to throw me off. And two, it's distracting. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY TO ME.

The only time I was pulled over was when a state trooper flashed their headlights at me, which I learned NOTHING about in driver's ed, so I was just like "what. the. hell." about it. So even when I see someone's headlights just looking as if they're flashing, I will dislike you.

I hate those damn blue and purple lights too. They're not cool, they're not cutting edge, they are silly and the blue ones make me think you're cops.

INDEED! I hate when that happens... sometimes because I have a low car, I think people are flashing their brights at me when they aren't. :( Ugh... just use your horn if I'm in your way!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • 1. People who don't signal or wait until the last minute to do so, slowing down suddenly in the process causing ME to slam on my brakes as well.

2. People who think you can stop on a dime and pull right in front of you and cut you off. Especially when they speed ahead of you and cut you off to make the next turn or exit ramp. Dude, if you're getting off, slow down and ease behind me instead of trying to race in front of me. On a related note, I don't like drivers who cut across 3-4 lanes of traffic to dive for an exit ramp at the last possible second.

3. Those damned blue headlights - I think they're even worse than the morons who don't shut their high beams off.

4. Slow drivers in the passing lane. Move it over!

5. People who don't pay attention to when traffic lights change. It's green now, go!

6. People who don't understand how a four way stop works. They'll either cut in front of me when I have the right-of-way or sit there when they have the right-of-way.

7. It's an accident, not a show for you to watch! Keep it moving!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • People who do anything to break the law (not stopping at stop signs/ rolling stops/ texting while driving)
    People who don't use signals
    People who are whistling in the car with me
    People who slow down to look at an accident
    People who don't look before they start backing up/ people who suddenly back out quickly.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I actually hit a squirrel recently because of its stupidity. I was turning on a road and saw it running on the road so I slowed down, and it turned as if to go back in the grass so I accelerated a bit and the idiot rodent 180'd in front of me. There are tons of squirrels on my street too and multiple times I've come to a stop because the little pests would literally run in six different directions around the road before going into someone's yard. /squirrelrant

And, pretty much what everyone else mentions, tailgaters, unnecessarily slow driving, etc.

I actually get super pissed when someone is driving next to me at the exact same speed. Do they not consider the fact that I could want to get in their lane? So I'll accelerate to get ahead of them and they accelerate to match my speed. At that point I just drop my speed so they can stay ahead but at least I have no one next to me.

I'm a huge road rager though, so honestly 80% of drivers piss me off in some way or another; I've used my middle finger more than ever since getting my license a year ago, admittedly lol.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    How come nobody has mentioned those overly-aggressive drivers that bob & weave through highway traffic? These people are the most annoying thing that I've ever seen! Whenever I see someone doing that, I'm like, "I hope you become a rape victim in the afterlife."

Other driving things that annoy me are those who go below the speed limit, & those who don't move when the light is green. Oh, & those who make those California stops, in which they stop on top of a crosswalk, thus obstructing said crosswalk.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Using car horns for venting anger.
    Flashing headlights as a signal of giving way.
    Certain speed humps. I have a low car probably built before these roads were laid.

I personally think that's generally quite disruptive since the road already has rules concerning priority. By token of 'do unto others' I do not thank others for doing it, nor do it myself.

But one thing that really bugs me is when someone goes UNDER the speed limit in the left hand lane on the Interstate. FFS, get out of the way! MOVE!
    These other lanes are for overtaking things like lorries going 40mph. You shouldn't be exceeding the limit regardless, nor is matching it strictly necessary.
    Unless there's an explicit exception to the limit for interstates?

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Just remembered another one, happens to me quite a lot. While driving someone to a location and passengers are like "You are going the wrong way", "its faster my way", "take the freeway, its much faster" just giving me general direction "turn right", "cut across the parking lot", "go this way"-"go that way" [they know I can't look while driving, its a driving hazard] - which only applies when I know where I'm going and don't need anyone giving me directions. I prefer to take my own way of getting there.

adding more to this - also when the passenger reminds me 4 to 5 times "don't forget, we're going to [location]", in my mind I just want to scream "I know, quit asking me".

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    As it's pretty related to the topic, the drive home from campus today was a nightmare, I've never seen so many bad drivers in a 15-minute drive.

It was raining really hard and pretty dark/overcast, yet I saw nearly half a dozen drivers going 15-20 mph above the speed limit, weaving in and out of lanes (overall being very reckless drivers) and failing to use turn signals in nearly all instances.

I have no idea what was going on with those morons today ._.

Back