• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    The oldest game I own is my copy of Pokémon Yellow, which I got from a friend when I was in grade school. It's actually fully functioning, so I've really lucked out there! :)

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Pokémon Trading Card Game is actually the oldest one I own. I wish I had a proper system to play it on since my earliest system right now is a DS. My oldest main game is FireRed, which was my first preordered game ever and just celebrated its 11th birthday!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    "What's the oldest Pokemon game you currently have in your possession?"

I own both Red Version and Blue Version! I would like to own a Japanese Green Version someday though, tbh :x I'm actually in the works of trying to get my hands on every mainstream game, and I'm only missing Yellow, Gold, Diamond, HeartGold, Black, and OmegaRuby.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    "What's the oldest Pokemon game you currently have in your possession?"

I currently have Gold with good old data corruption as well

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • I DID!! And the save file corrupted right after elite four cause the cartridge is broken or something and I gave up for a while but I started over and hunted for shiny ralts which took me the remaining days of summer and a few weeks bit of school. At least that one didn't corrupt and I got to use my shiny gardevoir in battle frontier. :)))

Years
  • Sound type

Effectiveness (as the attacking type):
    2x - Water, Steel, Ice
    0.5x - Flying, Electric
    0x - Bug

Effectiveness (as the defending type):
    2x - Flying, Electric, Bug
    0.5x - Steel, Ice, Ground

WolfAndSheep

Nor Predator, nor prey.
    Years
  • Ahaha I like this thread. Should create some stimulating group discussion since everyone will always have prompts :D

Mind if I answer all these? :>

What would you say that you've spent the most time doing in Pokemon games?

Depends on the game. Gen 1-3 I just raised a lot of stuff and focued on leveling things to level 100. Just level grinding back then was so much fun for me.
    Gen 4-5 I got myself an action replay because I am a filthy cheater and I hacked a lot of Pokemon and taught myself how to EV train and competitive battle.
    Gen 6 it was hatching eggs. Since it became actually viable to make teams without cheating I spent a lot of time working on the stages of getting something to be competitive and less time on the battling. The most time consuming thing was hatching eggs as a result. I have... I think around 700 hours on X and most of it just hatching thousands of eggs.

What's your worst lost save data horror story?

Being a hyperactive kid who was excite for Emerald before it properly came out in England. I was walking around a dubious kind of street market and saw the box art for Pokemon Emerald and thought it must be the American import. Turns out nope, it was a bootleg fake game I bought that corrupted the save file every time I turned the game on. I was so emotionally crushed.

What's the oldest Pokemon game you currently have in your possession?

Pokemon Gold. I'm not sure where my old RBY carts went. They went missing years ago. I doubt I will ever see them again, which is a little sad. I can't really remember what my teams are even.

If you could add one Pokemon type to the games, what would it be called? What would its type effectiveness be?

Oh man, toughie.

Not sure what the type would be exactly. I'm not creative enough to think of something cool. I though of a "radiation" type when I was a child, but I doubt my description of what I think is a viable type would really be a suitable fit for this.

I'll answer something that would be useful as a metagame concept instead. Might be kinda OP though. Perhaps I'll come back to this and edit it later on.

Super effective against (x2 damage dealt): Water, Fairy (Argubly the strongest defensive typings with lots of resistances and aren't hit super effectively by much - steel is fantastic too, but since it recently took its nerf by being neutral when hit by dark/ghost I'll let it off)
    Weak against (x2 damage taken): Dark, Grass, Poison, Bug. (The weakest damaging types in my opinion. Maybe not so much dark type, but right now it's super effective against the stuff ghost is super effective against and I'd like some differentiation)
    Immune to (0x damge taken): I'd love to say Rock for this. Rock is probably the best offensive type, and having a type immune to stealth rocks in the same way stuff Pokemon that are flying type or have levitate are immune to stealth rocks or poison types can absorb poison spikes would be incredible. I'm not sure how you could justify something being immune to rock though on like a realistic kind of thing though. Having stones thrown at you would hurt anyone :< vs having 4 weaknesses this would be kinda good way to balance it maybe?
    Resisted by (0.5x damage dealt): Dark, Bug, grass, Poison (Its weaknesses)
    Resists (0.5x damage taken): Ice, Electric, Fairy, (Screw you bolt-beam! And fairy is too offensively good)
    Everything else neutral damage dealt or taken.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Depends on the game. Gen 1-3 I just raised a lot of stuff and focued on leveling things to level 100. Just level grinding back then was so much fun for me.

Gen 6 it was hatching eggs. Since it became actually viable to make teams without cheating I spent a lot of time working on the stages of getting something to be competitive and less time on the battling. The most time consuming thing was hatching eggs as a result. I have... I think around 700 hours on X and most of it just hatching thousands of eggs.

Oh man, I remember how much fun it used to be for me to level grind and get my Pokes to level 100! Tedious as it was, it was satisfying as heck. It's nice how easy Gen 6 makes breeding and EV training though, isn't it? ^^

Oh man, toughie.

Not sure what the type would be exactly. I'm not creative enough to think of something cool. I though of a "radiation" type when I was a child, but I doubt my description of what I think is a viable type would really be a suitable fit for this.

I'll answer something that would be useful as a metagame concept instead. Might be kinda OP though. Perhaps I'll come back to this and edit it later on.

Super effective against (x2 damage dealt): Water, Fairy (Argubly the strongest defensive typings with lots of resistances and aren't hit super effectively by much - steel is fantastic too, but since it recently took its nerf by being neutral when hit by dark/ghost I'll let it off)
    Weak against (x2 damage taken): Dark, Grass, Poison, Bug. (The weakest damaging types in my opinion. Maybe not so much dark type, but right now it's super effective against the stuff ghost is super effective against and I'd like some differentiation)
    Immune to (0x damge taken): I'd love to say Rock for this. Rock is probably the best offensive type, and having a type immune to stealth rocks in the same way stuff Pokemon that are flying type or have levitate are immune to stealth rocks or poison types can absorb poison spikes would be incredible. I'm not sure how you could justify something being immune to rock though on like a realistic kind of thing though. Having stones thrown at you would hurt anyone :< vs having 4 weaknesses this would be kinda good way to balance it maybe?
    Resisted by (0.5x damage dealt): Dark, Bug, grass, Poison (Its weaknesses)
    Resists (0.5x damage taken): Ice, Electric, Fairy, (Screw you bolt-beam! And fairy is too offensively good)
    Everything else neutral damage dealt or taken.
    That does sound really cool! What kinds of Pokemon would you give Radiation type to? The Muk evolutionary line seems like it'd be a good fit for it :3

pkmin3033

If you could add one Pokemon type to the games, what would it be called? What would its type effectiveness be?

The first thing that pops into my head is an Aether element, for some reason. It's one of those classical elements that never really translated particularly well into the modern world, and I think it'd be a fairly good fit for Pokemon...or at least give it a more fantasy feel, which is never a bad thing.

It'd be effective against Ghost, Fairy and Normal. Fairy needs to be nerfed, so I'd do that out of principle, but as Aether has been thought of as the air the Gods breathed, or the upper atmosphere, it'd make a certain sort of sense for Ghosts and Normal types to be weak to it; mere mortals are beneath the Gods, after all.

Weaknesses...perhaps Fire, Flying, and Dark? Aether was often used to describe the motion of light, and everyone loves the light/darkness opposition theory. Flying types would be able to reach the upper atmosphere, so they wouldn't be particularly bothered by Aether - perhaps they could be outright immune to its effects - and Aether has also been translated as "to incinerate" so fire-types would have that covered.

...I'm not very creative in the mornings, OK? =/

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'd probably go with the Sound type just since there are a lot of sound based moves/Pokémon already. 8)

There are! Sound-type seems like a popular choice, and it'd be cool to see the Exploud line get a new typing other than Normal ^^

The first thing that pops into my head is an Aether element, for some reason. It's one of those classical elements that never really translated particularly well into the modern world, and I think it'd be a fairly good fit for Pokemon...or at least give it a more fantasy feel, which is never a bad thing.

It'd be effective against Ghost, Fairy and Normal. Fairy needs to be nerfed, so I'd do that out of principle, but as Aether has been thought of as the air the Gods breathed, or the upper atmosphere, it'd make a certain sort of sense for Ghosts and Normal types to be weak to it; mere mortals are beneath the Gods, after all.

Weaknesses...perhaps Fire, Flying, and Dark? Aether was often used to describe the motion of light, and everyone loves the light/darkness opposition theory. Flying types would be able to reach the upper atmosphere, so they wouldn't be particularly bothered by Aether - perhaps they could be outright immune to its effects - and Aether has also been translated as "to incinerate" so fire-types would have that covered.

...I'm not very creative in the mornings, OK? =/

I was actually going to answer this question by saying Light type, but Aether is so similar, and sounds 10 times cooler o: (plus aether is one of my favorite words ^^)

Question of the Day

What's a genre of video game that you'd like to see made into a Pokemon game?​

pkmin3033

I was actually going to answer this question by saying Light type, but Aether is so similar, and sounds 10 times cooler o: (plus aether is one of my favorite words ^^)
    I didn't want to say Light because I figured everyone would say that; it feels like everyone has wanted a Light type since Dark was first revealed! Plus Aether DOES sound cooler, if nothing else. xD

What's a genre of video game that you'd like to see made into a Pokemon game?

Well, I was going to say SRPG, but I don't think I could stomach another pathetic attempt at that like Pokemon Conquest...which was hardly worthy of being called an SRPG. So, I'll go with my second choice:

A rhythm game.

This makes SO MUCH SENSE. Pokemon has some fantastic music, and touch-based rhythm gaming (or button based, I suppose...) is one of the simplest things in the world to just pick up and play whenever, and one of the easiest things to make a good game out of. Higher difficulties mean more notes, so it could be as easy or hard as you wanted it to be.

Indulge me for a minute. Here is a screenshot from Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy:

theatrhythm_thumb.jpg

Now, swap the four characters for four Pokemon of your choice, and swap Ultros for a Legendary, or a Gym Leader/Elite Four/wild Pokemon or something. Or move the notes a little and have one Pokemon on the right side, as would be traditional. How AMAZING would that be? As you played through stages you could capture Pokemon you went up against, and unlock more stages by defeating Gym Leaders/E4 members to the Gym Leader/E4 battle music from various games. You could have an Adventure Mode, where you crossed continents to Route/Town music, and a Battle Mode where you went up against people and Pokemon to battle music, both remixed and original. Completing stages would get you EXP, which you could then use to teach your Pokemon better moves - to defeat other Pokemon faster - or evolve them, or buy one-off items like a Master Ball to guarantee a capture of a defeated Pokemon, and so on. Add in type advantages etc. and you've got a deep, fun little title you can either play for fun or get technical with...exactly like a mothership Pokemon title.

I doubt every song would be included, but Nintendo are fairly good with DLC pricing in relation to content. They could just keep adding to this.

Also...imagine Cynthia's piano theme on the highest difficulty setting. Imagine Miror B's Retro Groove. Imagine your favourite track. It'd be AMAZING. Rhythm games are one of the very few genres that work better on the 3DS than other platforms - sorry, but Project Diva F on Vita/PS3 can't hold a candle to Project Mirai DX or Theatrhythm - because of the touch screen controls alongside the button controls, so this would be AMAZING. You could even have it on Wii U, since that has a touch screen controller as well...and imagine the visuals, if that's your thing.

Just as long as they didn't use the fugly 3D sprites of the mainstream games, this would be perfect. You know you want it.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I didn't want to say Light because I figured everyone would say that; it feels like everyone has wanted a Light type since Dark was first revealed! Plus Aether DOES sound cooler, if nothing else. xD

What's a genre of video game that you'd like to see made into a Pokemon game?

Well, I was going to say SRPG, but I don't think I could stomach another pathetic attempt at that like Pokemon Conquest...which was hardly worthy of being called an SRPG. So, I'll go with my second choice:

A rhythm game.

This makes SO MUCH SENSE. Pokemon has some fantastic music, and touch-based rhythm gaming (or button based, I suppose...) is one of the simplest things in the world to just pick up and play whenever, and one of the easiest things to make a good game out of. Higher difficulties mean more notes, so it could be as easy or hard as you wanted it to be.

Indulge me for a minute. Here is a screenshot from Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy:

theatrhythm_thumb.jpg

Now, swap the four characters for four Pokemon of your choice, and swap Ultros for a Legendary, or a Gym Leader/Elite Four/wild Pokemon or something. Or move the notes a little and have one Pokemon on the right side, as would be traditional. How AMAZING would that be? As you played through stages you could capture Pokemon you went up against, and unlock more stages by defeating Gym Leaders/E4 members to the Gym Leader/E4 battle music from various games. You could have an Adventure Mode, where you crossed continents to Route/Town music, and a Battle Mode where you went up against people and Pokemon to battle music, both remixed and original. Completing stages would get you EXP, which you could then use to teach your Pokemon better moves - to defeat other Pokemon faster - or evolve them, or buy one-off items like a Master Ball to guarantee a capture of a defeated Pokemon, and so on. Add in type advantages etc. and you've got a deep, fun little title you can either play for fun or get technical with...exactly like a mothership Pokemon title.

I doubt every song would be included, but Nintendo are fairly good with DLC pricing in relation to content. They could just keep adding to this.

Also...imagine Cynthia's piano theme on the highest difficulty setting. Imagine Miror B's Retro Groove. Imagine your favourite track. It'd be AMAZING. Rhythm games are one of the very few genres that work better on the 3DS than other platforms - sorry, but Project Diva F on Vita/PS3 can't hold a candle to Project Mirai DX or Theatrhythm - because of the touch screen controls alongside the button controls, so this would be AMAZING. You could even have it on Wii U, since that has a touch screen controller as well...and imagine the visuals, if that's your thing.

Just as long as they didn't use the fugly 3D sprites of the mainstream games, this would be perfect. You know you want it.

That does sound amazing o: This would work so well on the 3DS! I've only played a few rhythm games myself, but I'd totally get into the genre if they made a full sized Pokemon game out of it. Nintendo, make it happen please :3

Actually, after some Google searching, I came across this: apparently there's a Pokemon rhythm game for iOS and Android in Japan.

Spoiler:

It looks kinda fun, but much more simplified than the kind of game you described. And it's apparently only available for a limited time.

Edit: It's about that time again!

Question of the Day

If you could play one of the main series games as an antagonist, which villainous team would you like to be on?​

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Actually, after some Google searching, I came across this: apparently there's a Pokemon rhythm game for iOS and Android in Japan.

Spoiler:

It looks kinda fun, but much more simplified than the kind of game you described. And it's apparently only available for a limited time.

Yeah, I had a proper video game in mind. xD;
    Still, who knows...we've got Pokemon everything else. A rhythm game might be on the cards for the near future!

If you could play one of the main series games as an antagonist, which villainous team would you like to be on?

I'd go with Team Galactic, if only because I find them to be the most interesting team - plus I identify quite strongly with Cyrus' nihilistic philosophy and motivations - and I'd rather explore Sinnoh again than anywhere else. The Legendaries are by far the best and the next logical step up from trying to control Dialga/Palkia/Giratina is Arceus, so who knows where that could lead?

Years
  • I'd like to see some sort of a 3D Pokémon Game where you play as a Pokémon and the overworld is already the battleground. It'd be mystery dungeon style except there would be a skill upgrade system and you can perform different combos by doing a variety of keyboard combinations.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Question of the Day

If you could play one of the main series games as an antagonist, which villainous team would you like to be on?​

Team Aqua, since I'm an avid Water-type user. Not to mention, Archie's the kind of leader who truly cares for both Pokémon and his human companions! His only flaw is his extreme method, but his intention isn't bad!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm with Sun for the same reasons. Team Aqua is literally one of my fave villains but that's mainly my love for Water-types showing here. I'd also love to play as Team Plasma because they are from my fave region aka Unova, and I think the original grunt uniforms (the ones from BW, not B2W2) look really smart.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I'll join Neo Blak Plasma from the sequels just for their soundtrack which IMHO is the best villain team theme. And I love the colour black and the whole slim military look they've got. The team doesn't have like a strict Pokemon rule so I'll be able to use any Pokemon I want and get by stealing

Back