• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Community-made Mystery Dungeon Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
No, XP is fine. I work with it for Skyblaze but it has been around far too long and I think we need to see other RPG makers used for games.

But what's the point in using the one of the other two RPG Makers? What makes them so special, what features are there that make such a big difference to give a reason to change over?

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
But what's the point in using the one of the other two RPG Makers? What makes them so special, what features are there that make such a big difference to give a reason to change over?

Honestly? If there was a Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit (complete and stable, like the current one) for VX Ace, I'd switch to that. Biggest reason, and probably primary, is that it has a bigger and better support for media libraries, and the ability to play loopable .ogg files. Spritesheets are also handled with one less sprite for a direction, so instead of it being 4x4, it'd end up being 3x4.
It's not about the big changes, but the little changes that make developing just a tad easier in the long run.
There's also room for more tilesets than the basic 7 we're limited to in XP. That's been a massive issue of mine since day one, being limited to 7 in a tileset. VX and VX Ace have an entire section devoted to tilesets, an infinite number can go into it. Tiles in general are easier to work with - instead of needing to create a supermassive tileset, tilesets can be broken up into individual parts, smaller parts. Granted, you're only allowed about 5 parts per tileset, but that should be more than plenty to go crazy with making maps.
So yeah, that's basically reasons I'd see for moving a project to VX if possible, not that it'd be advised if you made large progress on XP. Stick to what you've done if it's a lot.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years

There is a wider variety of tilesets for use, the most up-to-date version of ruby and the general aesthetics level is far higher (e.g. Quick event creation).

Just doing a bit of research - there are 60 IQ Skills, available at http://www.serebii.net/dungeon2/iqskills.shtml

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 5, 2021
Just need to worry about the OWs to be honest.

If you still need those B/W OWs I seem to have stumbled upon some

I could also put them in any RPG maker character format if you want since they aren't in the format.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 5, 2021
The only difference from mystery dungeon is that they have on attack and a diagonal which I could sprite for you and I'll use the sprites I have as a reference, if you want me to that is.

Rayquaza.

Years
The only difference from mystery dungeon is that they have on attack and a diagonal which I could sprite for you and I'll use the sprites I have as a reference, if you want me to that is.

No, that is not the only difference, PMD sprites have always had far more detail on them than HGSS to BW sprites have:

PokeacutemonShiftry_zpsc025c782.png
275_zpsb038b3a9.png

See the difference? Guess which one is PMD.

Zodiac.

Flannary Returns!
Years
Rayquaza. is right. There is too bigger difference. BW overworlds have a very dull walking animation in comparison with PMD sprites which are more detailed and have a very smooth walking animation. Add it up - they're not the same.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Yeah. A lot of my friends have actually said, "I want a pokemon following script in X/Y, and I want MD graphics". And. They're. Right. The quality in MD sprites is much higher than the Pokemon OW's in the main games

Anyway, did a bit of work on a Java version, I've got the basics for IQ, status's and type covered I think. Screenies in attachments

Last edited:

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
I support this project so much! But I'm just a regular programmer, and a busy one at that. I'm afraid I can only cheer you guys on for this one. Please make something wonderful.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
I want this so badly! But I can't be of any help. I will be cheering you guys on though!
PMD games are my favorite games of the pokemon series. Even more than the main ones!

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Nice to see a lot of support :D
A heads-up though, for people wishing to use it - This probably won't be ready for a while (Unless the lack of posts from devs on this thread is a sign of development, not lack of it).

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Personally I think it would be wiser to build off of CNG's VX kit, it had some really nice progress. Regarding graphics I suggest we use Mystery Dungeon Red, as it's simpler and has less colors, making it much more suited for a starter kit (easy to download, still good looking).

Also, movement is fixed in dungeons, but outside of dungeons it is all pixelmovement, like Zelda. This may be changeable by a switch, but would require modification of an 8-way directional and pixelmovement script.

I am willing to help with this!

Rayquaza.

Years
Personally I think it would be wiser to build off of CNG's VX kit, it had some really nice progress. Regarding graphics I suggest we use Mystery Dungeon Red, as it's simpler and has less colors, making it much more suited for a starter kit (easy to download, still good looking).

Also, movement is fixed in dungeons, but outside of dungeons it is all pixelmovement, like Zelda. This may be changeable by a switch, but would require modification of an 8-way directional and pixelmovement script.

I am willing to help with this!

I agree, CNG's kit has useful stuff in it. there are also alot of PMD red graphics on the spriters-resource. It would be useful to have your input if you're willing to contribute. Can you script?

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I agree, CNG's kit has useful stuff in it. there are also alot of PMD red graphics on the spriters-resource. It would be useful to have your input if you're willing to contribute. Can you script?

I'm not very good at scripting itself, but I'm good with damage calculation and implementing formulas. I can also compile plenty of graphical resources.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Not at all, the more we all contribute the faster this will become a reality.

EDIT: After some digging around, I learned that Poccil has already worked out the damage calculation for basic moves and has posted all stats for each level that every Pokemon has:

Damage-
http://www.upokecenter.com/games/dungeon/guides/damagesimple.php
http://www.upokecenter.com/games/dungeon2/guides/damage.php

Stats-
http://www.upokecenter.com/games/dungeon/guides/stats.php?view=levels
http://www.upokecenter.com/games/dungeon2/guides/stats.php?view=levels

Now, I'm not sure about adding anything that wasn't from Red and Blue Mystery as I haven't played any of them, so I may be inaccurate about some things since I am going by information on Red Rescue Team.

Last edited:

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
I realise that there hasn't been a post here in a while, but I've recently worked on it a bit more, and I've got a decent bit of news - I've modified the passability of tiles to allow you to walk on water tiles IF the first Pokemon in the party is a water type, and allows you to walk on lava tiles IF the first Pokemon in the party is a fire type. I'll work on the IQ skill bit now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back