• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
  • Writers Wanted! Could someone please check out my thread; because I really want to get this fanfic off the ground. I'm writing chapter 1 right now, but with a team of writers we could publish a chapter while editing another! I think my idea is good, but nobody is interested...

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Writers Wanted! Could someone please check out my thread; because I really want to get this fanfic off the ground. I'm writing chapter 1 right now, but with a team of writers we could publish a chapter while editing another! I think my idea is good, but nobody is interested...

Well, the problem is that other people have their own fics/writing to worry about and they don't have time to write for someone else. Nearly everyone here is writing something of their own, even if they haven't posted it here, and that's taking up their time. If you ask me, the best fic you can write is the one you write yourself. :\

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    This was proposed before. Not such a good idea though. :/

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Denali said:
    Writers Wanted! Could someone please check out my thread; because I really want to get this fanfic off the ground. I'm writing chapter 1 right now, but with a team of writers we could publish a chapter while editing another! I think my idea is good, but nobody is interested...
    If you're looking for help with editing, then I would suggest requesting a beta-reader in the appropriate thread. I strongly advise against requesting someone to write parts of the fiction for you. The story won't end up the way you envision it without requiring you to thoroughly examine each chapter for inconsistencies in the plot, characterization, etc. In that case, you would be much better off writing it yourself anyway. Besides, writing the entire fiction yourself allows you to make mistakes and learn from them via reviewer's advice. You hardly learn from someone else making a mistake in your fiction, eh?

I suspect that I made little sense in this post. Forgive me, it is late and I should be sleeping.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • It has been a lack of bold topics lately. Let me change this. :D

As writers, do you proofread after or during your writing?

For me, I write the general chapter first without worry about the grammar using OpenOffice. I then take my story, copy and paste it to a Word 2007 document, and fix all the grammar problems that I can as well as fill in some of the low descriptive parts. So, I feel like after works better for me.

Here is another question for those who do not want a boring one fore say.

Take any of your characters and think about their voice. What do they sound like? How would you describe it?

When I think about Josh's voice during his dialogue, I think of a soldier who lost hope in the world. I think of it very icy and withdrawn yet not completely monotonous.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • As writers, do you proofread after or during your writing?
    I failed to proofread last time but now I do it when I'm writing and after I've finished writing. It makes the fic run along smoothly and without making sentences sound awkward if you catch them.

Take any of your characters and think about their voice. What do they sound like? How would you describe it?
    I would describe Phaiel's voice as being Nihilistic and uncaring about the world around him. Though he does care for some things, for the most part, he is Nihilistic. His voice is cold, lazy and somewhat serious at times. As for the pitch, maybe something along the lines of Hei from Darker than Black's Animax Asia dub.

Kana on the other hand, is the cheerful, optimist that is somewhat of a know-it-all. Almost sounds like Ai Mori from Law of Ueki just a bit deeper but not too deep.

Also, another one to possibly break the record of most active bold topics and because I'm curious after watching Kokoro(I didn't cry it's just that it was sad...) on Youtube...

Can you write something sad? On that note, is it possible to write something that would make anyone cry (even the supposedly tough ones)? How would you go about doing it, do you have any examples of fics that have made you cry?

Last edited:

Syrynn

Writer of Tales
    Years
    I do it both during and after, but I still have the unfortunate reality of not catching everything.

Dylan sounds like the sort of person that can stay calm in any given situation. At least, this is prior to the metamorphosis. After he becomes a Jolteon-taur, his voice has a decided growl to it, as an extension of the Jolteon soul inside of him. In taurform, Dylan's tone is a mix between that of the ever-collected, worldly teen, and the renegade that doesn't take any of life's punches without a strong fight.

Can you write something sad? On that note, is it possible to write something that would make anyone cry (even the supposedly tough ones)? How would you go about doing it? Do you have any examples of fics that have made you cry?

• I think it was pretty sad when Dylan accidentally killed off Kyra in his celebration of her being alive, but more in an ironic turn.
    • It's not possible to make something anyone would cry over, because you can't feasibly jerk everyone's tear ducts dry, no matter how sad the situation.
    • You can, however, make something most would cry over. It requires a touch that tugs at human emotions, and also necessitates the reader be already drawn deeply into the character it happens to.

Bay

Years
    After. While writing, I more worry about the emotions and description first. Later on though I would proofread for any inconsistencies and grammar mistakes.

Bunny would sound very formal like Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice (the most recent movie version :P ). Jenny moreso like the ones from the anime, but also has this authoritative edge to it. Jacob has this cheery and whimsical tone but also dark at times, like Break from Pandora Hearts.

Can you write something sad? On that note, is it possible to write something that would make anyone cry (even the supposedly tough ones)? How would you go about doing it? Do you have any examples of fics that have made you cry?

I can't write something sad, but I can write something that can fear people in a suspenseful way. :P As for going about doing it, I don't. I'm more of a suspenseful writer, so I don't try to make anything sad. However, for my other fic Heart of the Sea, I actually made someone cried even though I didn't intended too. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

During :S Bad habit though...

Too early to say yet :P

Well its not on here, but if you can make a reader really relate to a character, then kill them off, then it could work. Though it's more fun to do so in a gruesome fashion. XD

OOoo activity!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Can you write something sad? On that note, is it possible to write something that would make anyone cry (even the supposedly tough ones)? How would you go about doing it, do you have any examples of fics that have made you cry?

Hmm. I don't think anyone's ever told me one of my fics made them cry. I dunno though, would a romance gone tragically wrong (ie killing spree) make anyone here cry if done well? :/

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Well its not on here, but if you can make a reader really relate to a character, then kill them off, then it could work. Though it's more fun to do so in a gruesome fashion. XD
    OOoo activity!

I think that happened with Aries in Final Fantasy. I never played it but I saw this and wiki'd it.
    Spoiler:

I'm a fan of xkcd. :P

Personally, I believe that it's easier to make someone cry b y graphic demonstrations than with writing because viewers relate better to graphics. :/

On the note of making the reader relate to the character. Remember Dumbledore?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I was thinking more along the lines of Sirius, I can't remember who I felt stronger emotion for dying though. I know I didn't cry in each case though.

It's also fun to attempt to make readers cry in a poetic fashion. XD

Perhaps had I developed my SWC fic better, than perhaps readers would definitely have indeed be saddened by the girl.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years

During the writing. I take ages with that stuff. <.<

Describe the voices...? ._.
    I'm bad enough describing the character's appearance, no thanks. Seriously though, I don't know. <.<

Examples of fics... I can't really remember, but I read one once that left me real sad. Maybe because it was a little late in the night, dunno. But, if its possible to write one that makes everyone cry... I don't think so. Some just don't get into the story, and others might just read it and say, "Whatever. Boo-hoo.". Now, if that everyone gets interested in the fic's story and, well, gets into it, I do think it might be possible.

So, a question that suddenly popped up.

If you were to give a theme song to your story(ies), what theme song(s) would you use? Do you usually associate songs to certain parts of the story itself (besides a possible theme song)?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • If you were to give a theme song to your story(ies), what theme song(s) would you use? Do you usually associate songs to certain parts of the story itself
    (besides a possible theme song)?

I remember a certain n00by friend of mine who made a thread like this once . . . Anyway, I'd say it's a bit early in the story to give it a theme song. Artificial's theme song is naturally KOKORO.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • If you were to give a theme song to your story(ies), what theme song(s) would you use? Do you usually associate songs to certain parts of the story itself (besides a possible theme song)?

Kakusei Heroism by An Cafe. One of my favourite songs. Also, L's theme from Death Note for the serious parts. XD

Is this the record for most active number of bolded topics asked in a single night?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    If you were to give a theme song to your story(ies), what theme song(s) would you use? Do you usually associate songs to certain parts of the story itself (besides a possible theme song)?

Not usually, but I do like to find theme songs for most of the characters in the story. Although I may play little 'Fanfiction Music Videos' in my head when I'm listening to some songs (not like they'll ever get animated, but it's still fun to do, and imagining Caro singing is always an entertaining - if somewhat scary - thought), I haven't found any musical scores to stick in certain scenes or anything like that.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    After I finish what I'm writing. When I'm actually writing the story, my main concern is to get that story down who cares how it sounds ignore the comma rules just write write write!

When finished, I go back and read the story over to fix things. But when I'm writing, that's my focus. To just get the story down.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

During. It sucks, but I can't help it.

Well hmm. I've always imagined Latias' voice to be really soothing. In fact, I reiterate that a lot. She's kind of the foil for Ren's wild emotions, and brings him back to an even keel on more than one occasion simply by talking to him. Another character who's voice I really like is Dragonair's. He doesn't actually talk, but I describe his voice as sounding "like vibrating crystal." And there's one last character I haven't revealed yet, but he speaks entirely in loose rhyme, like that found in Razia's Shadow.

I have written many sad things, which have caused people to cry occasionally. I don't think it's possible to make everyone cry, though, simply because different people cry for different reasons. That said, I have cried only once while reading a story, and that was His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back