• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Goddess of something or other. Lulz.

Look up an important word in your fic (perhaps in the theme of it or title, etc.) and attempt to find it's origin, is it what you expected?

Spoiler:
    I don't often wonder about the origin of words unless they're in a language other than English...

Bay

Years
  • Look up an important word in your fic (perhaps in the theme of it or title, etc.) and attempt to find it's origin, is it what you expected?

nothing
    Middle English, from Old English nāthing : nā, no; see no2 + thing, thing; see thing

everything
    1350–1400; ME; see every, thing 1

sea
    O.E. sæ "sheet of water, sea, lake," from P.Gmc. *saiwaz (cf. O.S. seo, O.Fris. se, M.Du. see), of unknown origin, outside connections "wholly doubtful" (Buck). Gmc. languages also use the general IE word (represented by Eng. mere), but have no firm distinction between "sea" and "lake," either by size or by salt vs. fresh. This may reflect the Baltic geography where the languages are thought to have originated. The two words are used more or less interchangeably, and exist in opposite senses (e.g. Goth. saiws "lake," marei "sea;" but Du. zee "sea," meer "lake"). Cf. also O.N. sær "sea," but Dan. sø, usually "lake" but "sea" in phrases. Ger. See is "sea" (fem.) or "lake" (masc.). Meaning "dark area of the moon's surface" is attested from 1667 (see mare (2)). Phrase sea change "transformation" is attested from 1610, first in Shakespeare ("The Tempest," I.ii). Sea legs is from 1712; sea serpent attested from 1646; sea level first recorded 1806. At sea in the fig. sense of "perplexed" is attested from 1768, from lit. sense of "out of sight of land."

Wow, a lot of info on the word "sea." XD

patch.

listen what I say, oh
    Years
  • I honestly don't want to take the time to look up the current topic. I want to make one. D:

Have you ever had a great story idea, but found that once you have this brilliant first chapter up, you either forget what you were going to do next, don't have the time or just can't find a way to continue it?

Bay

Years
  • Have you ever had a great story idea, but found that once you have this brilliant first chapter up, you either forget what you were going to do next, don't have the time or just can't find a way to continue it?
    Happened before with the original version of NE. At first I was doing very well, but then after 11 chapters that's when I got stuck. D: Luckily though I went back to the drawing board and is able to have the story finished. :) As of right now though with my current story idea, I just can't seem to have the time and find a way to continue it. That's what happens when you have a lot going on. :O

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Lol. I have Latian crests floating around me. I feel kind of epic now. >:)

Look up an important word in your fic (perhaps in the theme of it or title, etc.) and attempt to find it's origin, is it what you expected?

Eon

Wikipedia said:
    The word aeon, also spelled eon or æon, means "age", "forever" or "for eternity". It is a Latin transliteration from the koine Greek word ὁ αἰών (aion), from the archaic αἰϝών (aiwon). In Homer it typically refers to life or lifespan, but by at least Hesiod it could refer to ages or generations. It has a similar meaning to the Sanskrit word kalpa and Hebrew word olam. A cognate Latin word aevum or aeuum (cf. αἰϝών) for "age" is present in words such as longevity and mediæval.

Wikipedia said:
    Plato used the word aeon to denote the eternal world of ideas, which he conceived was "behind" the perceived world, as demonstrated in his famous allegory of the cave.

Wikipedia said:
    Aeons bear a number of similarities to Judaeo-Christian angels, including their roles as servants and emanations of God, and their existence as beings of light. In fact, certain Gnostic Angels, such as Armozel, also happen to be Aeons.

The aeons often came in male/female pairs called syzygies, and were frequently numerous (20-30). Two of the most commonly listed æons were Jesus and Sophia. The aeons constitute the pleroma ("region of light"). The lowest regions of the pleroma are closest to the darkness — that is, the physical world.

EDIT: Oh, and wb POB. Never leave me again ;;

Last edited:

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Astinus said:
    I was wondering where you disappeared off to. Welcome back!

Personally, I've found that working on another project helps when I can't think of anything for the fic I'm working on. This is why I tend to keep two/three projects going at a time, so that when I get stuck on one, I can move on to another.

So I'd say write something different. A few one-shots, one one-shot, a new chaptered fic. Whatever. It helps you not worry about the main project, and you can clear your mind to think better.
    Glad to be back. =D I'll give that a try. I have some ideas that may work for some one-shots, or possibly a short chaptered fiction. We'll have to see what I can come up with.

Have you ever had a great story idea, but found that once you have this brilliant first chapter up, you either forget what you were going to do next, don't have the time or just can't find a way to continue it?
    I wouldn't say that I forget what I'm going to do next, it's more of a problem of making sure that what I want to happen doesn't happen too soon. I have a real problem with moderating the speed that my plot accelerates at, and even when I consciously attempt to take it slowly, I still manage to reveal something too early.

However, I am currently having some trouble trying to find a way to continue one of my chaptered fictions. That's more of an issue of neglecting it for several months rather than forgetting the underlying plot, though.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

The origin of my Plot Buneary Zoo document. I've got about four of them, with one (Rock Megaphone) getting up to nine chapters before I realized that it wasn't even getting anywhere and that I couldn't find a way to bridge point A to point B. So yes, there have been some.

Also, just to annoy you all with an Ear Worm for the rest of the week...

JEKYLL-JEKYLL-HYDE-JEKYLL-HYDE-HYDE-JEKYLL!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Look up an important word in your fic (perhaps in the theme of it or title, etc.) and attempt to find it's origin, is it what you expected?

Chronicles
    Main Entry: Chron·i·cles
    Pronunciation: \ˈkrä-ni-kəlz\
    Function: noun plural but singular in construction
    Date: 1535
    : either of two historical books of canonical Jewish and Christian Scripture —called also Paralipomenon — see bible table

I didn't expect that last part. XD

Neo
    neo-pref.1. New; recent: Neolithic.
    2. a. New and different: neoimpressionism.
    b. New and abnormal: neoplasm.

3. New World: Neotropical.

[Greek, from neos, new; see newo- in Indo-European roots.]

Yes. I have thirteen fic ideas just waiting to be written in my idea book, but I'm still coming up with the plot for the first one.

Last edited:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years

Eclipse
    Main Entry: 1eclipse
    Pronunciation: \i-ˈklips\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin eclipsis, from Greek ekleipsis, from ekleipein to omit, fail, suffer eclipse, from ex- + leipein to leave — more at loan
    Date: 13th century
    1 a
    : the total or partial obscuring of one celestial body by another b : the passing into the shadow of a celestial body — compare occultation, transit
    2 : a falling into obscurity or decline; also : the state of being eclipsed <his reputation has fallen into eclipse>
    3 : the state of being in eclipse plumage

That's pretty much what I thought. xP

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Wow, how did those days manage to go by without me posting? X_x It's like I'm falling back into inactivity again! I blame my teachers conspiring to make my life as miserable as possible.

Dredging up a non-bold topic that was shortly buried beneath true bold topics in typical lounge manner, I thought I'd touch on the awards thing Syrynn mentioned. It's been brought up before, and the general consensus was that it wouldn't be so good an idea. Times change, however. While I was opposed to them back then, I'm fairly neutral now. If only so I can extend my observations and theories on how Pokemon fanfiction communities work. <_< And perhaps see if I stand more of a chance in a community where I'm better known. >_>

If your fic was to become a live action TV series/movie, who would you choose to play each character?
    No comment ._. I simply don't know many actors and such. <_<

I can say that if anime/video game characters can be included, Rayne with definitely be Tear from Tales of the Abyss (but with shorter hair) who, might I add, also has a striking resemblance to Luka from Valoid. Also, from MW's signature.

Oh, and Motoko Kusanagi as Ava. I most certainly did not pretty much directly base her character off Kusanagi. Nope, certainly not.

Since Hollywood is generally a diluter of creative literature, would you allow yur fic to be licensed by Nintendo(only if Pokemon related) and made into a movie? Especially Sci-Fi.
    I think a lot of people here are misunderstanding the question. When he says licensed by Nintendo, it doesn't mean that they're in charge of making it and that it would end up like the official movies, merely that they allow you to make it. Now, yes, in the real world if it really happened there'd probably be stipulations and all, but for the sake of FUN let's just ignore those.

So yeah, hell yes. :D TFC would be a bit difficult to do as a movie due to its somewhat episodic nature, but a TV series or even mini-series could perhaps work. If the plot was reworked so as not to include less essential parts, it could, perhaps, fit into a movie trilogy or so. TRINITY is where it's at when it comes to a movie though, in part because its planned to be shorter and without tons of filler. Also, because it's sci-fi which would naturally make a better movie than the fantasy/drama that is TFC.

La Pompa said:
    It's around half-way through October, is anyone doing Misheard Whisper's Corn Maze Challenge?
    Nope ._.

Misheard Whisper said:
    OMG GAIZ!
    I am not tl;dr! DX I do hang from ceilings and like to pop in randomly, though!

Main Entry: Trin·i·ty
    Pronunciation: \'tri-n?-te\
    Etymology: Middle English trinite, from Anglo-French trinité, from Late Latin trinitat-, trinitas state of being threefold, from Latin trinus threefold
    Date: 13th century

Geeze, I never would have thought it meant threefold of something. Nope, totally not what I expected. Not at all.

Main Entry: an·gel
    Pronunciation: \'an-j?l\
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English engel & Anglo-French angele; both from Late Latin angelus, from Greek angelos, literally, messenger
    Date: before 12th century

Didn't really know what to expect there, actually, but it makes sense given their position within Christianity.

That's sort of how TRINITY started. Long, long ago, way back in the distant, better times that were 2006 I simultaneously started not one, not two, but three stories. One of them was The Flamestar Chronicles, while the other two were called IMPULSE and Walking in the Shadows of Gods. IMPULSE is obviously the important one here, and was essentially a prototype for what TRINITY would become. In fact, when I decided to revive the idea, I took the original single chapter from IMPULSE and used it as the prologue for TRINITY with only minor revisions and some expansion upon the ending. Now, that doesn't mean IMPULSE and TRINITY are the same things. The plot changed quite a bit since then. The actual plot device IMPULSE was going to be this rather insane weapon system built into Havoc, while TRINITY is basically a better battery with some rather significant and potentially devastating side-effects. IMPULSE ended up dying simply because I had no idea where to go next, and TFC was eating up my time. Still, it had been in my mind ever since I dropped it, leading to its revival in TRINITY.

Walking in the Shadows of Gods is a whole different matter since it wasn't actually a pure Pokemon fic, but rather a Myst/Uru and Pokemon hybrid (I hesitate to use the term crossover as it didn't use canon characters, just setting and concept). Like IMPULSE it also had only a single chapter written and died because I couldn't decide how to progress well. As it was, I had the guy who crossed over into the Pokemon world somehow register as a trainer in a single day when he had no citizenship papers or anything to indicate who he was. I had been trying to find a way to redo that, but when I realized I had no actual plot in mind, I just dropped it. I've made several attempts to revive it, some retaining the Pokemon side of the plot and others dropping it entirely in favor of a pure Myst/Uru fanfic, but none have been successful. I do see tons of potential in my ideas for it, so sometime it may revive as well. In what form, though, I can't say.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I think a lot of people here are misunderstanding the question. When he says licensed by Nintendo, it doesn't mean that they're in charge of making it and that it would end up like the official movies, merely that they allow you to make it. Now, yes, in the real world if it really happened there'd probably be stipulations and all, but for the sake of FUN let's just ignore those.
    Thanks for clearing that up Shrike. :D

New topic that has been bugging for a while. I'm pretty sure there was an answer somewhere but I want to know what you guys thought of it.
    Until when is it correct, in terms of language, to use the sentence 'the late' to denote someone who has just passed away. Does the word 'just' have a set period of time?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Until when is it correct, in terms of language, to use the sentence 'the late' to denote someone who has just passed away. Does the word 'just' have a set period of time?

I'm not fully understanding the question, but I'll take a stab at it in a few directions. I'd say you could start saying 'the late ___' pretty soon right after (it's seen in newspapers often).

And do you mean 'the just'? denoting a person? It comes to being a title (pretty much similar to a last name) so there are still famous people in today's history that have titles in names that are still used.

'The late' is just used more as an adjective describing the current condition I guess.

Post Office Buddy

Years
  • Until when is it correct, in terms of language, to use the sentence 'the late' to denote someone who has just passed away. Does the word 'just' have a set period of time?
    That's a tough one. In my opinion, when referring to someone as "the late *such-and-such*", they must have passed away a relatively short time ago, say a few months to a few years, depending on the circumstances. I hold the same opinion for the usage of "just".

Feign said:
    And do you mean 'the just'? denoting a person? It comes to being a title (pretty much similar to a last name) so there are still famous people in today's history that have titles in names that are still used.
    I believe you misunderstand the context that Mizan used "just". He meant the "just" that is synonymous with "recently", not the title of "*Insert Heroic Name Here* the Just". Understandable mistake, though.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Until when is it correct, in terms of language, to use the sentence 'the late' to denote someone who has just passed away. Does the word 'just' have a set period of time?
    That's a tough one. In my opinion, when referring to someone as "the late *such-and-such*", they must have passed away a relatively short time ago, say a few months to a few years, depending on the circumstances. I hold the same opinion for the usage of "just".
    Yes, I understand that much. So thanks.
    The question is like the words 'here' and 'there'. Until what distance do you say either here or there? If you notice, most people just go on what feels right to them. So I guess you could say the same for 'the late'. However, is there or is there not a set period of time? Just want to ask that. :P

I believe you misunderstand the context that Mizan used "just". He meant the "just" that is synonymous with "recently", not the title of "*Insert Heroic Name Here* the Just". Understandable mistake, though.
    Thanks for clearing that up. XD

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Oooooooooo okay... I see now.

Well in that case, I find that both are switchable, one is just more formal than the other. Like you'd use 'the late' in the media or at the funeral even perhaps.

Post Office Buddy

Years
  • Feign said:
    Well in that case, I find that both are switchable, one is just more formal than the other. Like you'd use 'the late' in the media or at the funeral even perhaps.
    I completely agree with you on this. However, I also believe that the person's personal fame or whatever also influences how long these can last. For example, some people still refer to Shawn Lane as "The late Shawn Lane." I imagine that the same concept applies to several other famous icons as well.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • 'Late' is just a euphemism for 'dead'. I'd personally use it for any person who died after I'd born ie someone I knew or had heard of while he/she was still alive. For example, I'd say the 'late' Michael Jackson because he died after I was born, and after I was aware of him as a living entity. But I wouldn't say the 'late' Sophocles, for example, because he's been dead . . . a while.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • 'Late' is just a euphemism for 'dead'. I'd personally use it for any person who died after I'd born ie someone I knew or had heard of while he/she was still alive. For example, I'd say the 'late' Michael Jackson because he died after I was born, and after I was aware of him as a living entity. But I wouldn't say the 'late' Sophocles, for example, because he's been dead . . . a while.
    Interesting, what if say, you were 80 and Michael died 50 or so years ago? There's a 30 year gap so does the late still apply? Because you can say the dead anytime but the late just doesn't have the same ring.

ie.
    The Dead MJ (usable forever)
    The Late MJ (usable until?)

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • When I'm 80 or whatever (presuming I haven't died in my cardboard box) I think I'll still be talking about the late Michael Jackson. *firm nod*

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • When I'm 80 or whatever (presuming I haven't died in my cardboard box) I think I'll still be talking about the late Michael Jackson. *firm nod*
    Interesting. When my Grandfather passed away, we referred to him using 'the late' for about 4 years actually. Then we stopped.

On a side-note, Hollywood really is a diluter of ideas. D:
    The Darren Shan movie is coming out and I saw the trailer. Oh god, it was horrible to people who actually read the book. I'm going to watch the movie anyway so I hope I'll be proven wrong or at the very least won't be too dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPC-5VoCkNE

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back