• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The only problem with this is you have to delete some of the pokemon that are in the game. So say you want the starley line but not the pidgey line you would take it out and put in the starly line. There are like 2 or 3 tools you will need look up advance pokemon sprite editor which will let you change the sprie and YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor) will let you change the name stats and type stuff like that as well as the moves. If you have anymore questions you can just PM me :)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hi! I'm new to ROMhacking and I am trying to make a hack of pokemon ruby for personal use. I was looking but couldn't find anything pertaining to this: How do I add newer generations of Pokemon into my generation III game? Is there a tool for this? If not, what's the hard way for doing it. I know that it can be done because it has been done for the popular ROM hacks. Example: Pokemon Light Platinum.

Light Platinum REPLACED the old gen iii pokemon with new ones. As of right now, that is the only feasible option.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
In fire red the pokedex can be organized by the location where the pokemon lives. How would I change a pokemon's habitat so if I wanted to replace a pokemon with another, my Dialga won't be living in the ocean.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
1) Where you normally do. As, for sprites over 0xFF, you can use the very next unknown byte as the 0xYYFF.

2) Let me see it.

Ah I see. Thanks for help on that first part.

And about the instruction manual(spelled it wrong in my last post lol), I meant the document titled "Pokemon Hacked Instruction Manual" that comes with the hacked engine.
Here's the part I'm confused about, located under "Special 0x56 – Swarm-roaming Pokémon changer"(this is copy-pasted straight from the file.)

-------------------------
Variable 0x8007 lower half is the location, and the upper half is the level the pokémon is found in. Used to avoid "underwater Charizard"-like scenarios.
First 4 bits of the word are the location values. 0x0 does the same as 0xf, that is, the pokémon is found anywhere you want.
Bit 0 = grass
Bit 1 = surfing
Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
Bit 3 = fishing
So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing
The upper half is the level of a roaming pokémon. For instance, if you want a lv. 80 pokémon in the wild grass only, use setvar 0x8007 0x5001
-----------------
(I hope that's what you meant by "let me see it")
Basicly, I don't understand how to set the location of the swarm or roaming pokemon to specific areas like grass or water, or a combination of certain ones. Either I'm overthinking this or I just don't understand it. :P

karatekid552

Years
Ah I see. Thanks for help on that first part.

And about the instruction manual(spelled it wrong in my last post lol), I meant the document titled "Pokemon Hacked Instruction Manual" that comes with the hacked engine.
Here's the part I'm confused about, located under "Special 0x56 – Swarm-roaming Pokémon changer"(this is copy-pasted straight from the file.)

-------------------------
Variable 0x8007 lower half is the location, and the upper half is the level the pokémon is found in. Used to avoid "underwater Charizard"-like scenarios.
First 4 bits of the word are the location values. 0x0 does the same as 0xf, that is, the pokémon is found anywhere you want.
Bit 0 = grass
Bit 1 = surfing
Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
Bit 3 = fishing
So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing
The upper half is the level of a roaming pokémon. For instance, if you want a lv. 80 pokémon in the wild grass only, use setvar 0x8007 0x5001
-----------------
(I hope that's what you meant by "let me see it")
Basicly, I don't understand how to set the location of the swarm or roaming pokemon to specific areas like grass or water, or a combination of certain ones. Either I'm overthinking this or I just don't understand it. :P

You just don't understand bits. When someone is talking about bits, they mean binary. So, get out your windows calculator. Put it in binary mode. Now, input 0000. This is 0x0. So, if you set bit 0, you get grass, which is 1000 or 0x8. If you want surfing, set bit 1, so 0100 or 0x4. Now, you can set grass and surfing by setting bits 0 and 1: 1100 or 0xC. The last two bits for tree and fishing, respectively, work the same way. Here are some examples:

0010 = 0x2 = tree
1111 = 0xF = All
1101 = 0xD = grass, surf, and fishing

Any questions?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2014
I really need to find some scripters for simple conversation scripts and trainer battles things like that because my hack is like 90% done for the first BETA just no scripts and I have tried this site for like the past month posting on help boards script boards and team recruitment boards to no avail. Does anyone know of a site other that this one that has people willing to do some scripting? Because honestly I am about ready to just give up on my hack because its not going to get anywhere without some scripts ;-;

PKSV has a script generator that can do both of those with minimal effort.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
You just don't understand bits. When someone is talking about bits, they mean binary. So, get out your windows calculator. Put it in binary mode. Now, input 0000. This is 0x0. So, if you set bit 0, you get grass, which is 1000 or 0x8. If you want surfing, set bit 1, so 0100 or 0x4. Now, you can set grass and surfing by setting bits 0 and 1: 1100 or 0xC. The last two bits for tree and fishing, respectively, work the same way. Here are some examples:

0010 = 0x2 = tree
1111 = 0xF = All
1101 = 0xD = grass, surf, and fishing

Any questions?

Huh. That's actually pretty simple. I think I've got it down now.
Thanks, this helps a lot, and with more than just this issue. :)

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
im trying to figure out this "0EF clears party, erasing all pokemon. And this definitely erases them, as the code clearly only fills the places with 0's" but for emerald not fire red or ruby... how would i go about finding what special that is in emerald?

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Are there any good spriting tutorials?
like making fakemon or recoloring?
what software should I use?
I use Paint.NET is it going to help me?

No. Not that I have known. There isn't. You just gotta enhance your skills if you're not that good yet.
But the harder you try, the better the results.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
I've been learning how to script recently, and I'm having trouble with Hackmew's preprocessing directives in xse (I'm trying to use the #clean, #erase directives so I can delete scripts I've already compiled)
Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these directives. Am I supposed to decompile the compiled script, add the directive somewhere, and compile it again, or am I supposed to do something else? Nothing I've done is working so far. I managed to delete my script by filling it in with FF's on my hex editor, but I want to use the directives too, to make things easier.

karatekid552

Years
I've been learning how to script recently, and I'm having trouble with Hackmew's preprocessing directives in xse (I'm trying to use the #clean, #erase directives so I can delete scripts I've already compiled)
Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these directives. Am I supposed to decompile the compiled script, add the directive somewhere, and compile it again, or am I supposed to do something else? Nothing I've done is working so far. I managed to delete my script by filling it in with FF's on my hex editor, but I want to use the directives too, to make things easier.
Let's say you compile a Dynamic script. Then you edit, and compile again. #Clean will erase the old the old script and the new one will take its place. If you close XSE, the #Clean is cleared and won't work next time. You must have the same script open the whole time.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
I managed to figure out my last question on my own, but now I have another that's got me stumped. In Emerald, does anyone know where to find the images for the type icons used while inspecting TMs? They're different from the ones displayed when looking at Poke info.

vc1k.png

I've been through all 10k unLZ deep-scanned images (which took longer than I'd care to admit), and I didn't see any sign of them anywhere. Looking at the VBA memory viewer they all seem to use the same palette, so I'm thinking they're probably all stored together somewhere.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 30, 2016
As far as i know, this is only one image in the ROM, which gamefreak changes it's color
depending on the type of the attack.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Does anybody know how to edit base stats of Deoxys? In the various editors I tried, it just showed the stats of the normal form, which is used during the battle against it I am guessing.
I opened the ROM in a hex editor and searched for the base stats of the speed form (Since my ROM is Emerald,) but it didn't find anything.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 30, 2016
How can I make the script wait, until the assembler code is finished?
I tried waitstate after the callasm but the script just crashes then :(

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
As far as i know, this is only one image in the ROM, which gamefreak changes it's color
depending on the type of the attack.

Hrm, any idea where this image might be located then? The dragon- and ???-type ones are multicolored so it may be split into two half images, but again I didn't find the base for them even with the unLZ deep scan. I figured they'd be with or near the Type/Power/Accuracy images, but I couldn't find those either ~_~

I'm betting they'll be part of a menu tilemap or something

Last edited:
Years
How do you make a scripted loss? Like for example in the beginning of my hack I want a fight with a level 70 Giratina right after getting your starter but I want it to be when you lose the game continues instead of making you continue the battle until you win. Like right after your pokemon faint you would "wake up" in your room... How would I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back