• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I worked tonight, and no one trick -or- treats an AutoZone. So nothing happend for my halloween.

I did get to clean up battery acid after a car battery managed to leap off the self. We were all on the other side of the store, when we heard a loud noise in the back, I go check it out, and two car batteries fell of the self. One of the cases broke spilling sulfuric acid every where. Then I found a white powder in a bucket labeled "battery acid neutralizer" So I spread it over the battery acid. Did you know that battery acid neutralizer puts off a gas that burns your eyes and throat? All of this happened 10 minutes before we supposed to close. We did not get to leave when scheduled to because of the unexplained suicidal car batteries.

Do you think they have holidays in the Pokemon world? Have you/Are you going to put any holidays in your fic?

I was thinking of putting a birthday, and a possibly one similar to the American Christmas (I don't know what other countries traditions are for that day.)

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
Years
Do you think they have holidays in the Pokemon world? Have you/Are you going to put any holidays in your fic?
Such a concept is perfectly plausible, considering that it seems to be in our nature to invent holidays, and across many cultures, we can see their existence, so I doubt the existence of pokemon would change that behaviour. In my fic, because it's set in a cruel dictatorship, I doubt I'll include any holidays; said dictatorship would have removed them.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years

I've actually never even thought about that. My guess would be that any holidays they'd have would probably be of Japanese origin, just because the canon makers are Japanese. They might have something similar to Golden Week. (Seems a little pointless, however, seeing as the main characters are children who don't have jobs or go to school...)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

If the anime's canon holds any water, then yes, they do. (Christmas special, various festivals based on Japanese holidays, et cetera...)

Christmas has been mentioned in various fics I've done (including the crappy interlude for Midsummer Knights), but other than that, I tend not to include holidays because it just never comes up for my plot lines.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
XD My turn to share stories about Halloween.

I was right in saying that since I wasn't going to wear a costume, that I would be stuck with more work than anyone else. Well, since the customers had no idea who was actually working or not, they chased after me to ask where things were located. It was either me or my friend at work who's deaf, so they didn't have much of a choice.

The most-asked-for item today? Candy. I have no idea why people don't plan ahead, and realize that yes, stores will be out of candy on Halloween night.

But it was okay, because I stole lots of candy and fruit snacks from work today. They were delicious. And the fruit snacks were fun, because they were Indiana Jones fruit snacks! And I played with them and acted out scenes from the movies. (No ticket! D<)

And one of my bosses came to work dressed as a clown, and one of the cashiers was deathly afraid of clowns. So they had to send the cashier home because she was crying. It caused wank!

Then my house nearly exploded!

According to anime and Toshiro Ono canon, they do. And yeah, like Magic Legume said, most holidays would be Japanese-based, like Children's Day that they had in the anime.

As for my fics, there's no need for me to include holidays. The plot doesn't call for them at all. There probably are holidays celebrated in my fic's world, since it is AU anime-canon. I just haven't felt the need to explore that about my world yet.

I'm trying to figure out why my character would think Sentret have flamethrowers. I know why I stuck that in there, but I want to know why she would have that thought as well. Because it's too random to edit out.

Bay

Years
Right that some people at work would be dressed in costume. One dressed as a queen, another a mummy, another a cow (seriously XD; ), one a demon, and one a butterfly, heh.

In "Destiny's Tricks," I did a Father's Day special where Destiny calls her dad, Ash. XD Also, on my old fic, "Simplicity" the story takes place in Chrismas. Other than that, no because like everyone else said the plot doesn't call for it.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
But it was okay, because I stole lots of candy and fruit snacks from work today. They were delicious. And the fruit snacks were fun, because they were Indiana Jones fruit snacks! And I played with them and acted out scenes from the movies. (No ticket! D<)

And one of my bosses came to work dressed as a clown, and one of the cashiers was deathly afraid of clowns. So they had to send the cashier home because she was crying. It caused wank!

Then my house nearly exploded!
So, you had an rather average day, huh? =P (And am amused that you mentioed that store would have run out of candy, followed by you saying that you stole candy from work XD)
I'm trying to figure out why my character would think Sentret have flamethrowers. I know why I stuck that in there, but I want to know why she would have that thought as well. Because it's too random to edit out.
O_O
Amusing idea! But, hmm... I'd question how they heck they'd hold Flamethrowers... they have very flimsy hands. :/ Maybe she had a nightmare about it, or something? Too many horror movies? :/
Unless they used Flamethrower? Escpeically it it just suddenly appears out of nowhere, rising up on it's tail suddenly, then opened it's small mouth wider then what one would think it could... would be a bit of a fright. (And most amusingly, I was curious and checked serebii.net's 4th gen pokedex for it - and it CAN use Flamethrower! XD)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
For Halloween, I went to a party, played some games, and came back still somewhat coherent. Someone dressed up as a cat and someone else as a pirate. Sadly there were no ninjas.

I mention Thanksgiving and Christmas in mine. But in my region the temps on Christmas are in the upper 50's. So there's no cliche first snowfall in my fic. There is, however, a three car accident in my fic on Christmas Day.

In fact, I created a new Christmas carol specifically for my fic:
"In the snow, driving's not nice
Better watch out for that black ice
Oh, what a pain
It's far worse than rain
Drivin' in a winter horror land!"

Oh, also, in my region, gas is usually between 75 and 80 cents a gallon. It lets Lisa be able to drive around in her old V-8 powered American luxury sedans/wood-paneled Estate wagons without resorting to second mortgages, Ponzi schemes, or working the graveyard shift. Be jealous. Be very jealous.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Halloween. I spent the majority of it sitting here in my room mired in boredom. :\

Although the night is still young at...1:43. I shall try to find horror movies on the t.v. I need to stop rhyming, and work on my timing, before all of you shoot me.

Hey...it's Rufio from Hook! That's the only way I know this actor...he's in some random movie.

Yes, I'm demented.

I was actually going to do a Christmas special in the Chronicles, but Christmas came and went and I still had writer's block. My eight-year-old goldfish died that day...I swear that's also when I started taking so freaking long to write chapters. Perhaps I died a little inside.

Still demented. Weeeeee~

My room smells like pumpkins.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
I ended up watching the Excorcist yesterday. No-one came to knock on our door, which is a good thing, because we didn't have any candy anyway. I should've told my mom to buy some for us to eat as "Halloween left-overs" :< She wouldn't have done it anyway, though, she doesn't like Halloween a lot. Not at all, to be exact.

Actually the Finnish pyhäinmiestenpäivä is today, so I guess we could have some candy to celebrate... umm... dead people? Oh, we should also light some candles when the night comes and something along those lines. Yay for Finnish traditions. We're such a festive nation! All anyone ever does here to celebrate is to get drunk.
On New Year you get drunk.
On Easter you get drunk.
On Midsummer Festival you get drunk.
On the "Night of Arts" (it's only celebrated in Helsinki) you get drunk.
When school year ends or begins, you get drunk.
On Christmas, you pretty much get drunk. Well, a little less so if you have kids.

Now, I'm not that keen on getting drunk every freaking time there is a celebration of some sort. I prefer good food, treats, good company and a moderate amount of alcohol. I don't like forgetting what happened... Of course, not everyone does that. It's only the vast majority that does. ^-^

Well, I put in a tradition that resembles a Japanese one: when a person dies, his/her relatives and friends hold a memorial party 30 days, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years and 10 years after the death. In my fic, Adan missed the 1-year memorial day of his mother and people were all shocked about it.

Other than that, I haven't really thought about it much. My Pokémonverse is based on Japan a lot, but they still have Americanish and Finnish-ish traditions and manners. I suppose they'd have Christmas but even more important would be New Year. Also they could have all sorts of nice festivals in the summer like the Japanese have. I don't need any holidays or festivals for my fics, but they can be a nice addition and a good place for a filler extra chapter

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
...Halloween???? I seem to have missed it entirely.

The holiday will be celebrated today but it has not received the large media attention it had on previous years. Part of the blame maybe that our government decided to attach a second religious day off right before Halloween, thus somewhat alienating the already alienated sense of holyday-ness Halloween has.

The better for me. I'm not interested in that kind of celebrations anyway. For me it is just an ocassion to stay at home, share some more time with family, and not having trouble to visit grandpa's grave. Essentially just that.

Isn't that a myth that spooky things always happen on Halloween? Maybe that's the reason I received a phone call recently from a lady who claims to have convinced some idiot to pay me the money they owe, something about not sending the leasing papers on time. WTF? I don't have anything to lease! And definitively no one owns me money. But, hey, if she says so....:nervous:

Of course they do. Notonly Japanese holidays, some western culture imbued there also. Besides the everpresent Christmas, I seem to recall something about Ash&Co. taking part in some kind of Shinto ceremony for the dead. Sometime in the first series... can't remember. And I guess some towns like Azalea or Lavender are fond enough of their foundation date, or something like that.

Me myself, I haven't given the thought of writing anything about a holiday, probably with good reason: I'm not very good writing feisty moods. Also I wouldn't know what to write. I'm not that savvy about Japanese holidays and culture, my interpretation of the Pokémon universe having some more "european" touch to it.

In my current fic, events transpire during the Indigo League, which is more a nationwide competition than a nationwide festival. I may have one of my characters in my second FF take part of a seasonal festival in Whirl Islands. Maybe.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Now that I'm slightly more awake than last night, I had a very nice night. The afternoon was spent with the geek club (read: the college's sci-fi/fantasy club) reading really bad original fiction from Fictionpress.com. And by really bad, I mean bad. This year's involved a "goth girl" going to live in a "castle that was goth, just like me" (actual words in the story) and falling in love (reading: having sex with in every chapter) a goth boy who likes to play Halo and is, by the way, a vampire. But the vampire thing was mostly an afterthought/a way of making the girl seem even more goth when she says fangs are totally cool (after she discovers them after a month and a half of having sex with the boy).

The evening was spent trick-or-treating with a mass of friends. I managed to get a small stash, but I think I'll buy discount candy to make it seem like I had more of a haul. Because I'm surprised my stash lasted the entire night. (We were really lazy trick-or-treaters.)

The rest of the night was spent holing up in my room while my friends got drunk because I was stupid and spent most of the night before writing a paper. *thumbs up*

Thus, my Halloween. Or as we crazy writers call it, NaNoWriMo Eve. (Has anyone here actually started on that? I haven't. I still don't know what the crap I'm writing about.)

Incidentally, I was about to make an edit to my last post here, but then I thought it'd be a fun to ask as a topic.

Have you ever figured out when your characters' birthdays are? If so, give us a few dates to remember.

I ask this because, as I've realized, some of my characters' birthdays do fall on holidays (which kinda makes me wonder why I never bring them up more often in fics). For example:

- Viola: Halloween (although I guess with Verona being in a Japanese-based nation, it only figures that it's never mentioned).
- Cesario: April 29 (the start of the Golden Week and the former emperor's birthday).
- Sebastian: March 21 (spring equinox).
- Bill: New Year's Eve (technically canon: I got this from a page in Special. Still kinda cool.)

And, of course, there's some dates that I chose for no particular reason whatsoever (or they're not holidays but have some kind of meaning behind them for anyone who wants to actually think about them for awhile):

- Mercury: June 1
- Imogen: February 28
- Rose (upcoming main character in AEM): July 12
- Professor Nettle: September 16

And now I'm fully done being an egotist.

Before I go, have an attachment concerning the question about Sentrets with flamethrowers. Not the same, but still. (It's not my work. I saved it from years and years ago, back when there was still a ton of crack like that in this fandom. I miss those days.)

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Do you think they have holidays in the Pokemon world?

I'm answering again because I just remembered Delibird. There ya go.

Have you ever figured out when your characters' birthdays are? If so, give us a few dates to remember.

Ren's is a few days before the start of winter, Latias' is a few days after that, and Latios' is a few weeks after that.

As for everyone else, I have no idea.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Andy's birthday is September 21. I originally had it pegged on August 8, but then I thought things over better, and smacked him there. The hilarious thing is Angel's birthday is January 21, which makes me lulz. But his birthday has always been then for six years.

Shinrai's birthday really isn't important. And Aden is whatever age I need her to be whenever I need her to be a certain age. She's flexible like that.

Bay

Years

For Bunny, it's December 6. I just thought of it right on the spot. XD;

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I'm pretty sure I made this one up a while ago to have his birthday in Spring...but nobody cares now, so 17 March.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011

-blinks- Uh. I never really thought about this, seeing as Pokemon don't care so much about birthdays, but...February 7 for Fuega, about three years before the fic's beginning.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years

Lisa's birthday is May 15, 1991. Honestly, it never comes up in my fic till the very end, when she's contemplating taking her driving test.

Speaking of driving...

Wouldn't your fanfic characters really rather have a Buick? And if not, what car would you want them to own/drive?
Yes, Lisa would really rather have a Buick. In fact, she bought one right before the end of my fic. Complements her '89 Chevy Caprice Classic perfectly:)

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Wouldn't your fanfic characters really rather have a Buick? And if not, what car would you want them to own/drive?

No. Latias and Latios go faster than sound, and Mewtwo's as-of-yet-unrevealed vehicles are wicked sick.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years

Let's see. Jack was born in July the 7th, because that's the date of Tanabata in most parts of Japan. Well, of course that's not the reason, but I thought of the date because of Tanabata. My other characters don't have any specific dates but they do have seasons: Adan was born in the winter and Cimi and Mari were both born in the spring.

Heck no.
First of all, I never cared about cars that much, so I'd have to do some research before I could write something credible about them. Really, I rather use trams or buses to get to places inside the city and if I have to go to other cities, I prefer train. I've always hated the smell cars have inside them. It makes me feel sick, supposedly because I have motion sickness... You know, throwing up a couple of times in the same environment eventually makes you hate that environment itself. Besides, whenever I am in a car, I'm there with my parents, my two little brothers, my boyfriend and our two cats and a dog, so you might guess that gets a bit crowded. I suppose I'm never going to get me a driving licence, moslty because I wouldn't dare to drive (really, I'm so absent-minded I'm sure I'd crash the minute someone lets me drive!). I couldn't afford one anyway, though :laugh:

Secondly, I like to think people in the world of Pokémon are rather environmentally friendly, using wind generators (in DPPt) and bikes and such. Besides, I don't think driving a car in the foresty/water-covered routes would be a very good idea. If you could find a path wide enough for your car, you'd probably end up running over several Sentret and Furret and Bidoof and Rattata and whatnot, and we all know how dangerous Sentret are. They'd come and get you for that. With flamethrowers. *shivers*

No, I don't think my characters would like any car whatsoever. Cimi and Adan have Radeem to use as a transport (if she is having a good day, that is). Besides, no matter how you look at it, it's a lot cheaper and more convinient to use either a Pokémon or a bike as a way of transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back