• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
If we weren't here, you'd get awfully lonely.

So anyway, I'm having a tad of trouble. I need to do a flashback scene in my fic, but this other site I post on does not allow the use of italics, which is what I would normally use. Is there some way I could make a flashback noticeable without putting it in gross stuff <like this>? I'm thinking of using whatever the heck these --> ~ are called, but it's still problematic. I'd have to shell out $20 just to use italics, and that's really something I don't want to do.

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
Years
What? What exactly are you talking about? How would this site be yours? Please, stop being a complete idiot. Anyways, since I am here, I may as well answer this.
Wouldn't your fanfic characters really rather have a Buick? And if not, what car would you want them to own/drive?

Since I haven't had much time to work with my characters in my new story, Iron man, I can't really say much about them. Although, Samuel would probably love to have an Audi R8, or whatever the new one is. But, before his incident, he had some crappy sedan. Neal, however, is a Porygon. He can't drive a car. Wait, Porygons can transfer themselves into computers, so why not cars? But Neal is not interested in human things, so that does not matter.

EDIT: Since I was beat to my post, the top comment was aimed towards top trainer.

DGexe

Taunter
Years
To txt's question, I'd suggest either a narrative hint that a character is having a flash back:
Unfortunately for them, the events that were unfolding began to stir up unpleasant memories...

Like that, or make it

unusually spaced

between the flash back and the rest of the tale...

Like this! (I swear I won't do that again; that spacing made me cringe inside)
In other words, just make a bit more space 'tween the flashback's paragraphs and the rest of the tale than you usually would do to simply space paragraphs on a forum.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
DGexe's suggestion is quite good, but I don't think the flashbacks will be distinguishable enough from the other text that way. Then again, I'm sure people will notice if the flashbacks are from a time long ago or if the setting is really different from that of the actual story. However, not making the flashback any different from all the other stuff would really make some people super confused (my mom, for example, is like that). Seeing how you can't use italics, I suspect you can't use other fonts or text colours either... Maybe going with those ~s is a good option.

---Or maybe you could
---you know, make a space like this
---before the text! That would easily
---separate it from all the other text,
---don't you think? And it looks more
---classy than using ~s, too....
Or is it...? I don't know... Oh crap, now I notice that those spaces won't show in the final post, so I had to replace them with lines. So, pretend the lines aren't there. Only an empty space is. Then again, if it doesn't work here, there's always the chance it doesn't work on the site you want to use, and in that case this whole idea is total rubbish, huh?

My honest suggestion would be this: stop using a crappy site like that! :laugh: How can they charge you $20 for using italics? That's ridiculous...

DGexe

Taunter
Years
*sees what An-chan means* THE POWER OF INDENTION! And on that note, perhaps format it (if somehow possible) to be a smaller paragraph?

-----Like this with lots of text and such-----
----Lots and lots of text and flashback------
----Power of the inner paragraphs!----------​

txteclipse

The Last
Years
It's my home site, unfortunately. :\

I built my core of readers there, then moved here. I hate the website for not allowing italics, but what the heck. I'll figure something out. And no, I pretty much can't do anything special at all with the text. It doesn't even let me indent.

Let's see, though...

/Blah blah blah text is fun. Isn't it? I think so. It's all squiggly and straight and such. Although it gets annoying at times, like when txt is trying something out. Oh well, I guess I can live with it. Flashback flashback flashback flashback flashback flashback flashback flashback flashtack flashrack flashcrack flashpack flashbach./

That's not ridiculous, I guess, and gives it a kind of "apart" feeling. I suppose I'll just have to go with that.

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Or you could put it in tags:

<flashback> This is now flashback. Back when I was a small kid, we had to kick wolves to get food. Kids are so spoiled nowadays! I can still remember this one exceptionally big and hungry wolf, who... blah blah </flashback>

Of course, I'm kidding. I pretty much can't come up with a working yet elegant method to do this. Unless, well, you make them somehow obviously separated from the rest of the text, like this:

Text text text, this is normal text, this text tells what our protagonist does. Now he brushes his teeth, now he eats candy, now he brushes his teeth again and now he goes to sleep because it's so freaking late here he's falling asleep if he doesn't do so. When his mother still lived, he never did this.

--

"Don't eat candy after you've brushed", says mother.
"Yes, mom", says Gary.
"And don't you go to sleep, young man", she adds, "Or you'll be in big trouble when dad comes home."

---

She has died of lack of sleep. Text text text again and now our protagonist wakes up wohoo!

Or something like that. I used paragraph separators like that when I had to indicate a lot of time had passed between them. I don't know if it's a very working or good-looking way to do that, but to me it seemed like a good idea.

This is impossible. And my brain is malfunctioning due to the late hour. DEAR GOD, is it that late already?! I thought it was 3 AM, but it's over 4 AM already. I have to go to sleep now. Try to overcome your problem... Supposedly you'll do it in a witty "why didn't I think of that?"-way that'll annoy the heck out of me tomorrow :laugh: good luck, txteclipse!

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I use these to indicate passage of time or transitions to other characters:

So I'd probably have to do something else, such as

~

Blah flashback text.

~

Blah story again. That looks somewhat okay, actually...I'll just specify it when I post.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I sincerely hope I don't have to write a guide on How Not To Feed The Trolls. Because that's just... Guh.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Damn! Why is it all the cool stuff happens when I'm off doing real-life stuff? (Pretending to be a dwarf in a game about fairies is totally real-life stuff!)

Also, to flashbacks, it's generally a good idea to separate them like you would scene breaks (as in, normal scene breaks) and to indicate that it's not taking place at the same time as the main continuum through something in the narration. As in, yes, I know it was a joke, but please, for the love of kittens, do not use the "flashback" header.

Seriously, though, yes. I would highly suggest going with An-chan's last example, where there's no formatting, but it's generally obvious that you're switching scenes. If you want to make it obvious, you could start off the flashback with something like "Blah years ago, blah happened." Or "Blah remembered..."

Also, to answer the latest topic:

Wouldn't your fanfic characters really rather have a Buick? And if not, what car would you want them to own/drive?

I write about a number of distinct groups of characters.

1. The group that can afford one but would rather have something ritzier. For example, Romeo, Mercury, and their gang ride around in limos or on motorcycles. They would never ride in anything lower than an extremely high-class (as in, Porsche if it's not a limo) or "adventurous" vehicle because it clashes with their reputations.
1a. An off-shoot of this group, which is the group that can't afford those awesome vehicles, can afford a Buick, but probably still would rather have the ritzier vehicles. Orsino, for example, I can imagine in a Buick. A very stylish Buick. With a pimp hat his sister in the front seat. But he likes to pretend he's driving a Ferrari.

2. The group that can afford a Buick but prefer a vehicle that's fairly economic for personal reasons. For example, Nettle would most likely drive a very nice Toyota. Why? Because she would prefer Japanese cars. Heather (who will be introduced in Anima Ex Machina eventually) prefers motorcycles.

3. The group that can't afford a Buick and/or may not know what one is. For example, Imogen, Andrew, and Sebastian are middle-class people, but it's rather expensive to maintain a car in a place like Verona (where it's hard to find a place to park one). So, they take public transportation instead or, if possible, drive very small and economic cars. Cesario and Feste are both dirt-poor. Viola literally does not know what a Buick is in the first place. No, seriously. She's that sheltered.

4. The "other" group, composed completely of people who can't drive, people who probably shouldn't drive, and hippies. Rose (upcoming main character in AEM I've mentioned in my last post) is eleven and therefore doesn't care. Bill is a hippie who travels everywhere by walking, riding on Pokemon, and mooching off public transportation/tickets people send him because it's better for the environment.

Yes, it did actually take me that long to answer this question. I'm bored, and I have no idea where the crap I'm going with NaNo.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry guys! Next time I won't delete the spam! :D

Aden's ten. o_o She's not Short Round, who was adorable and... Short Round. XD

Shinrai lives in Japan, so it's really pointless for her to have a car.

Andy and Angel? Oh dear gods. You do not want them driving. Andy has the attention span of an gnat with ADHD. He'd fuzz off into his thoughts and crash the car into a sacred tree or something. Angel can at least pay attention to the road, but if someone cuts him off? Major road rage.

DGexe

Taunter
Years
--Actually, one of my characters has a car-- Lord Arthur Wilkinson; it's a GT Diablo Lamburgini, I think... I'd have to look it up. Sports/Luxury car, for sure. He has it 'cause he's RICH and likes fancy cars. What rich dude wouldn't? Actually, he just uses it as a chicken magnet, much to the annoyance of many of his (primarily female) subordinants.

--None of my Laurens should be allowed to drive, anything, ever, unless it is a bike. They're either too tempermental, or have too many distractions (*coughannoyingHauntershackwheeeeeze*). No... wait... I think my AU-II version (corporal in an army) is the only one suited enough for driving without too many issues. Even then... Buick... nah, sorry; I could see her in a groovy, small car like a Mazda!

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Angel can at least pay attention to the road, but if someone cuts him off? Major road rage.
Oh good lord, I never thought of this. Mewtwo could technically divide the offending person and their car into their component molecules. You would need a vacuum and an air filter to clean up that mess. I don't think she actually would do that, but...yeah. May not be such a grand idea.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Wes probably would, even if he didn't really know what it was. Basically any sort of car would be better then the 'Zoomer' for him - which is a weird... thing. Only has one wheel, half of it hovers, and it has an absence of a steering wheel to boot. >_< Got to love the models Genius Sorinity came up with in Colosseum...

Although he manages with it more or less. Oh, and I haven't come up with any birthdays for my characters. >_<

txteclipse

The Last
Years
*cackles with laughter at txt's post* N-now that would make a good fic-story! *shot*

Heh. I can just imagine the Hoover vacuum guy showing up right then and doing a plug for his products.

"You'll note that absolutely none of this man's disintegrated body is escaping my new tri-filter model! And if you call in now, we'll give you a second one for free!"

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
And it weighs less than a bowling ball!

...Wait. That's Oreck. :<

And from many posts ago:

I'm thinking of using whatever the heck these --> ~ are called,
Tildes. They are awesome. You just can't dial them.

EDIT: OH SCHNAP DUDES! LOOK AT OUR THREAD TITLE NOW! IT HAS TILDES, ASTERISKS, AND POETRY GOING ON! MY LAPTOP CAN'T HANDLE THE INSANITY!

WE'RE NOT SINKING! WE'RE CRASHING!

GRAB OUR STUFF, SHORT ROUND!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back