• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Is Your Favorite Pokemon Generation?

What Is Your Favorite Pokemon Generation?

• Total voters

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
  • Hi, After ORAS was released i was curious to see what you guys favorite Pokemon generation!

So, What Is Your Favorite Pokemon Generation?

Gen I - Blue, Red And Yellow
    Gen II - Gold, Silver And Crystal
    Gen III - Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed And LeafGreen
    Gen IV - Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold And Soul Silver
    Gen V - Black, White, Black 2 And White 2
    Gen VI - X, Y, Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Above all, for me, it would likely have to be generation three.

In this gen, we've got to visit a new region known as Hoenn. In my eyes, it was rather great; all its locations were fun to explore, as they were all unique in their own, special right, and its story-line was rather engaging as well. I loved it. Not only this, but we also had chance to travel through Kanto again in FireRed and LeafGreen, giving us opportunity to relive generation one games with advanced graphics and mechanics.

After gen three, I'd say six. Although X and Y did not have much of lengthy plot, leaving some of us to be slightly confused and whatnot, but they did introduce some great, new features, such as character-customization, Pokémon-Amine, Wonder Trade, mega-evolution, and so forth. Now, I'm not sure about others, but personally, I love each and every one of them!

Years
  • My 3 favourites are Gen I, Gen III and Gen IV, it's hard to pick just one favourite but if I had to I'd say Gen I. A lot of my favourite Pokemon seem to be from that Gen and the fact I play LG every week is evidence to show I like it. I play RSE everyday to be fair, but I still prefer Gen I because of the Pokemon in the game. My favourite Fire, Ghost, Water and Fighting-types are in that Gen and when playing FRLG, there's always a Pokemon I like in every route. Seriously, I can't think of a Pokemon I don't like in that Gen. Also, I really enjoyed the gameplay in FRLG.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • My favorite has to be this last gen, VI, because of the features that were added. Pokemon feel and look more lifelike, and there is a sort of "bond" formed thanks to Pokemon Amie. I really do like how after you get your Pokemon's affection up, it has little "moods/dialogue" at the beginning of each battle. I've had Pokemon that have taken less damage from hits because I had full affection and I believe I also had a few that healed themselves from burns/etc.

Character customization is another reason why this gen is my favorite. I can make a character that looks like me and feel like I'm "in" the game. I wish ORAS would have continued this but it is a remake so I wasn't expecting it to happen. Still would've been nice though.

Even though Kanto and its Pokemon are my favorite, I can simply get Kanto Pokemon in XY/ORAS and still enjoy it just like HG, which happens to be my favorite Pokemon game, and FR.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • My favorite has to be this last gen, VI, because of the features that were added. Pokemon feel and look more lifelike, and there is a sort of "bond" formed thanks to Pokemon Amie. I really do like how after you get your Pokemon's affection up, it has little "moods/dialogue" at the beginning of each battle. I've had Pokemon that have taken less damage from hits because I had full affection and I believe I also had a few that healed themselves from burns/etc.

Character customization is another reason why this gen is my favorite. I can make a character that looks like me and feel like I'm "in" the game. I wish ORAS would have continued this but it is a remake so I wasn't expecting it to happen. Still would've been nice though.

Even though Kanto and its Pokemon are my favorite, I can simply get Kanto Pokemon in XY/ORAS and still enjoy it just like HG, which happens to be my favorite Pokemon game, and FR.

OMG, I love HG too!! My fav game!

The music is probably the best part!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I would say gens III and VI are tied for myself. I loved hoenn and I loved revisiting kanto. I think I did more so than in the originals because of the sevii islands. Since I love hoenn I obviously loved revisiting it in the sixth generation! I was kinda nervous for x/y because I wasn't overly in love with dppt and I pretty much hated bw/b2w2, but instead I ended up loving it. I really hope to see a third installment for x/y that includes a rise in difficulty.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Since the OP failed to specify on what metrics we are judging the generations (pokémon introduced, region introduced, characters introduced, etc...), I defaulted to judging each generation on gameplay mechanics and in this instance, newer is always better. No matter how you slice it, GenVI is more refined and balanced than any previous generation.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Personally I love Gen III and Gen I! Gen III because, well, the Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald games were incredible; they had loads of stuff that you can always get back to and play, like with the storyline with Team Aqua and Team Magman, or if you're playing Emerald that'd be the both of them. Also hey had one of the best post games, at least for me on Pokemon Emerald, since the Battle Frontier is always awesome to play against, even if we'r ejust learning about EV/IVs at the time. c:

Now, me liking Gen I might be an unpopular opinion but, y'know, those are games that I can never really dislike or find boring; I grew up with those games and even now, I really, really like the music that the game boy produced for the games. Like seriously, have you heard the Vermillion City theme:

It's really spectacular, imo! So yeah, the music was a plus for me, as well as the general battles.. in which Yellow was the first game that had that sorta challenge for me when playing any sort of pokemon games because the levels just shoot up, but otherwise, the battles were pretty unforgettable, like when it came down to the Elite Four? THAT was pretty epic. <3

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • For me it's Gen III with Gen IV closely behind. I love RSEDPP and enjoyed the remakes of the first two gens too. Following them is Gen VI where I got to revisit Hoenn, but sadly they butchered the AI for ORAS and Kalos wasn't as fun as Kanto was (even though I like Kalos better as a region).

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Gen 6, mostly for the improved gameplay mechanics. Better breeeding mechanics, easy leveling up, good accessability in terms of hidden abilities, lots of cool designed Pokemon (Greninja, Dragalge, Aegislash, ...) alongside the older ones and much more.

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
  • Mine has to be gen IV. i've only ever played diamond once and i'm just finished playing Heart Gold for the first time, but i really enjoyed them. Even though i started getting into pokemon with johto i just have to put Sinnoh above johto. Though...i like the sinnoh anime WAY more than the Sinnoh games. It had the most action(i love action) it also because my fav character was introduced in the anime. Paul

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    I voted for generation five. Whilst some of the best games came from other generations, they were isolated cases for me - for example, Emerald being amazingly fun but the others from that generation being 'meh,' or simply okay.

Generation V on the other hand, whilst not creating the greatest sense of accomplishment (especially with regards to BW2) were certainly the most intriguing - and the most fun in the post-game. They were different, too, making them far more intriguing to play through. So whilst they may not have been the best games individually - they were definitely the best when taken collectively.

Years
  • Gen II- Crystal was my first Pokemon game and will always be my favorite Pokemon Game.
    Gen IV (HG/SS)- Return to the Johto region, and it updated everything and added new features that weren't present previously
    Gen III- Loved Hoenn.
    Gen VI (ORAS)- Same as Gen III
    Gen V- I really liked the criminal organization in this one, they weren't so much criminals rather than Animal Rights Activists but to the extreme.
    Gen IV (D/P/Pl)- Sinnoh was alright
    Gen I- Never liked Kanto
    Gen III (FR/LG)- Never liked Kanto
    Gen VI- The story went by entirely too fast and what little difficulty it had in previous gens was absolutely removed

Years
  • Generation V, the same one it's been most times this question has been asked. It provides two different adventures, one that's completely new and a stellar approach to the franchise, and another that packs a whole bunch into one big package. I've played BW a handful of times, and no matter how much I go through B2W2 I don't think i'll ever get bored with it.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Generation 3 has long been my favourite. I just really love the region and the Pokémon it introduced.

Overall I'd say:

1. Gen III
    2. Gen V (I love a lot of the Pokémon it introduced and I enjoyed the region even if it was pretty linear. Had a good plot too, at least in terms of Pokémon)
    3. Gen VI (Same again really, overall enjoyable Pokémon and region. Plus there was the jump to 3d models.)
    4. Gen II (Like the region and it's Pokemon, even though I started with the first gen I'd say these games have more nostalgic power to me)
    5. Gen I (Generation I started with, but it hasn't held up well. I'm not that crazy about the region or it's Pokémon)
    6. Gen IV (Don't really like the Sinnoh region, the Pokémon it introduced were the least instant group of Pokémon for me. WiFi trading was a godsend though.)

Gen I and IV are interchangeable really, the order changes depending on my mood and whether I'm feeling nostalgic or not.

Each Generation has Pokémon and aspects that I love, just some more than others.

Last edited:
    Back