• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many people you know IRL that play Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 24, 2019
I only know one other person that does (my best friend), everyone else either don't care or dislike it. I'm surprised since X and Y and ORAS sell like hotcakes, especially in my age group (late teens - early twenties). Yet locally almost nobody has a 3DS. The ones that do game only play on PS4 or Xbox One.

Years
None really. :/
Most people I know either

1) Don't care and/or don't like but tolerate it (to a certain extent)
2) Used to play it when they were a lot younger but not anymore
3) Think they are into it cos they know Pikachu is yellow
4) Play it rarely, usually a hack version

Whenever I meet new people, sooner or later I let them know I am into Pokemon hoping they'd say they are too but nothing so far lol.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
I met 2 in college last semester, one was a girl with a ton of Pokemon T-Shirts and one was a guy, but we didn't exchange contact information.
My school is mainly female (a 70% female to 30% male ratio yikes!) so that may be half of the reason why I haven't met anyone really. Not saying other ladies don't play Pokemon as well but most people in my school are too busy freaking out about their boyfriends and gossip to even consider video games :/ No one broadcasts really that they play either but I do believe a Yugioh/Pokemon/etc club got started up not too long ago. I just rely on the internet though to let me meet Pokemon fans.
In high school though, there was my best guy friend and two other guys that played. Most guys played on their XBox's/PS4's though. We all lost contact with one another though.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
None at all now. I did have a few friends who played it but then grew out of it or i don't see anymore.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
Years
Myself, my wife, a couple of friends... Oh and I work at Gamestop... so a bunch :-)

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I know plenty of people that play or have played Pokemon games recently, but very few of them do to the obsessive level that I do. There's really only one friend I hang out with that it means anything to if I talk about IV breeding and competitive battling.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Everyone I've met in real life who plays Pokemon is so freaking weird that I think I will remain a closeted Pokemon player for all time. This site has also helped confirm that fate for me lol

Last edited:
Years
Uhh I don't have too many irl friends to begin with since I'm picky with friends but.. thinking on it now, two? One of whom is my best friend. Both are active fans and buy the games within a few weeks of them coming out so that makes me feel less alone. (ノ・ ・)ノ Pokemon's actually pretty cool around here for people in their 20s from what I've noticed.

Years
Two people. And it's frustrating because one of them just rarely plays because he's really busy, and when he plays he decides to level his Pokémon to 30+ against random lvl 3 Pokémon to stomp the first gym.
The second is also frustrating because he just doesn't care, he's content if he can play with a Dratini and Sylveon.
Both of them have less than 30 hours clocked, while I have 120 hours right now.

Years
I think all of my closest friends have at least played Pokemon at one point. Many still do. I'm in college now but I remember I had no friends who played Pokemon games at all back in elementary school. At least I had some buddies in day care who traded the cards and collectible figures with me, haha. Good times~

Years
I only know of three people that actually play Pokemon, two of which are my cousins (one of whom is actually here on PC). The other person is a guy at work who's been a hardcore fan of the series for years, but I only work with him once every two weeks or so.

I do know quite a few people that own 3DSes, but none of them seem to play Pokemon, which kind of sucks.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Right now, I only know about one or two. From them, one is my cousin. Unfortunately, she is out in California, so we never get to play Pokémon with each other side-by-side. Online, however, we find ourselves battling against each other every now and again, as well as trade. Currently, though, my router doesn't seem to be connecting to any Nintendo devices, which is preventing me from doing anything; last time we had traded or battled together would be about two months ago.

As for second, she is a friend of mine. I've known her since my first year of college. Similarly to above, sadly, although she and I are in New York, she's still rather far from where I am, so we don't get much of chance to play together in real life. Via Internet, it's not much of an issue.

More of my friends used to be into Pokémon games (around four or so), but they've all stopped following eventually. I've tried getting them back into the series, but none of my attempts seemed to have actually worked. It would have been great if it were more easy!

Tek

Years
Lol basically my whole family. All of my younger siblings and my younger uncle either play or collect Pokémon in some way. I've played since way back when, so at this point I'm like a Pokémon encyclopedia to them XD

Years
I know quite a few people that play GBA and DS Pokemon games such as FRLG, RSE and DPPt. Some even have FRLG on their iPhones. Quite a few people in my school year/grade actually play Pokemon games, which is nice. It's always good to be able to have something to stem to when talking about games. Actually, one of my friends said "hey you know I've been playing some Pokemon Fire Red lately" and I replied "Ah nice, I like to play some of the older Pokemon games, too" and we can have a little conversation about it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 11, 2015
In my school there is a nice group of people who play video games and 9 of them are really into pokemon which is really good because it's hard to find people like those IRL.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
I'm homeschooled, so the list of people I know in general is short. >.>
Let's see...at my last job, one of the managers was a little into Pokemon but she was more of a casual player. *shrugs* T-T She didn't get super into it, she just played now and then with her husband who was mainly the one interested in it.

Obviously my fiance is into it since he's the one that got me started playing, then we both got my two little brothers into it. Most of my other friends that know I like it tend to tease me about it cause they don't play, but I don't feel like it's as bad now as it would have been when it was ACTUALLY a super over the top nerdy thing to like. Nowadays you have those people that actually use it as a popularity thing when in reality the extent of their Pokemon knowledge is Pikachu and possibly a couple of the Kanto starters..(sorry that was super rude of me but seriously don't wear the merch for instagram likes if you don't even play, it's not hard)

To be fair, there is a Pokemon League in my town that meets up on Saturdays for TCG battles and such. It is mainly just the TCG but people will still have in-game battles and stuff, just for fun. It's pretty neat just to meet up with other people that are into a game that you're so into, especially in a town where you're lucky to meet someone with any of your common interests at all. T-T

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
Let's see...at my last job, one of the managers was a little into Pokemon but she was more of a casual player. *shrugs* T-T She didn't get super into it, she just played now and then with her husband who was mainly the one interested in it.

Obviously my fiance is into it since he's the one that got me started playing, then we both got my two little brothers into it. Most of my other friends that know I like it tend to tease me about it cause they don't play, but I don't feel like it's as bad now as it would have been when it was ACTUALLY a super over the top nerdy thing to like. Nowadays you have those people that actually use it as a popularity thing when in reality the extent of their Pokemon knowledge is Pikachu and possibly a couple of the Kanto starters..(sorry that was super rude of me but seriously don't wear the merch for instagram likes if you don't even play, it's not hard)

To be fair, there is a Pokemon League in my town that meets up on Saturdays for TCG battles and such. It is mainly just the TCG but people will still have in-game battles and stuff, just for fun. It's pretty neat just to meet up with other people that are into a game that you're so into, especially in a town where you're lucky to meet someone with any of your common interests at all. T-T

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023

Back