• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many people you know IRL that play Pokemon?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I'm homeschooled, so the list of people I know in general is short. >.>
    Let's see...at my last job, one of the managers was a little into Pokemon but she was more of a casual player. *shrugs* T-T She didn't get super into it, she just played now and then with her husband who was mainly the one interested in it.

Obviously my fiance is into it since he's the one that got me started playing, then we both got my two little brothers into it. Most of my other friends that know I like it tend to tease me about it cause they don't play, but I don't feel like it's as bad now as it would have been when it was ACTUALLY a super over the top nerdy thing to like. Nowadays you have those people that actually use it as a popularity thing when in reality the extent of their Pokemon knowledge is Pikachu and possibly a couple of the Kanto starters..(sorry that was super rude of me but seriously don't wear the merch for instagram likes if you don't even play, it's not hard)

To be fair, there is a Pokemon League in my town that meets up on Saturdays for TCG battles and such. It is mainly just the TCG but people will still have in-game battles and stuff, just for fun. It's pretty neat just to meet up with other people that are into a game that you're so into, especially in a town where you're lucky to meet someone with any of your common interests at all. T-T

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Let's see...at my last job, one of the managers was a little into Pokemon but she was more of a casual player. *shrugs* T-T She didn't get super into it, she just played now and then with her husband who was mainly the one interested in it.

Obviously my fiance is into it since he's the one that got me started playing, then we both got my two little brothers into it. Most of my other friends that know I like it tend to tease me about it cause they don't play, but I don't feel like it's as bad now as it would have been when it was ACTUALLY a super over the top nerdy thing to like. Nowadays you have those people that actually use it as a popularity thing when in reality the extent of their Pokemon knowledge is Pikachu and possibly a couple of the Kanto starters..(sorry that was super rude of me but seriously don't wear the merch for instagram likes if you don't even play, it's not hard)

To be fair, there is a Pokemon League in my town that meets up on Saturdays for TCG battles and such. It is mainly just the TCG but people will still have in-game battles and stuff, just for fun. It's pretty neat just to meet up with other people that are into a game that you're so into, especially in a town where you're lucky to meet someone with any of your common interests at all. T-T

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023

Years
  • There were a handful of people I would see at the lobby in community college that would play Pokémon back in 2013 when B2W2 were mainstream, and I have seen some at the college I go to now that have played XY/ORAS, but not very commonly. When I was at private school there were plenty of Pokémon players there, though.

Years
  • Only one friend plays Pokemon with me at this point in my life. Kind of sad really, I always wanted to have a brother/sister and grow up playing it with them. I do have a brother and sister but they never really liked it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    Very few people, i've met a lot of people online who play it, and I know them as if they were IRL friends.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • A lot of my friends play, and my two best friends we are big fans and we almost always talk about pokemon! :)

I have, like, at least 10 friends who play pokemon (and I don't have that much of friends). My older brother play too. We have a gamer club at my college and a lot of us do play pokemon. Every tuesday there is some people who plays the Trading card games at Gamezilla.

I went to a LAN party at my college and I bring my pokemon game in the classrome where some people played N64 on a big screen, and I found 4 other people to play pokemon with me yaaay (I didn't know them before).

So yeah. Pokemon is pretty know by gamers in my city. Not all competitive players but some of them are pretty good or at least know the game pretty well. Some of them have complete the pokedex.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Well lessee....
    I am the only one in my small group who's super into it, and that's mainly the Pokemon Special manga.
    My sister was drug down by me and owns some of the first version game while I have second(ie she has firered I had leaf green, she has omega ruby I have alpha sapphire, plus some.) and her fav game is PMD Red Rescue Team. (I said had because I lost it>.>)
    One friend has X and says she played quite a few games but I'm pretty sure I'm just annoying her now. (We battled over x and y... I lost...)
    One friend only owns X and PMD 3 and she likes to insanely over level. We haven't battled yet because she lost her 2ds by the time I got a good leveled team on Y, but it's going down.
    My younger brothers are into Pokemon because I read the manga, sometimes watch the anime, pay the card game, play the games and hacks nonstop, etc. so now they play too.

When I was younger I only had the Sapphire version so when I met a few kids who played too. One girl said she had the Emerald and LeafGreen versions and I had no idea what all the games where called at the time and forgot the names I had learned so later on when my parents asked what I wanted for my birthday and I tried to say I anted an 'Emerald Grass' version.
    Ah sweet 10 year old memories......~

EDIT: Turns out half the boys in my Youth Group in Church do. ._. I knew two did (one being my cousin) but really lol got some new friends again~. >w>

Last edited:
    Years
  • Quite a few actually. I find that in HS not many do, but in college you meet more people who do haha. Its strange. I've met a couple people while at college that do, and I have some cousins that do as well as some of my own friends I've had for years.

I actually was the one that got some of my friends to play, so that helps :3

Years
  • I used to know a few, but I'm not in contact with them any more. I am hoping to get my best friend intrested. That'll be more than enough for me cause I've been playing the games alone for years. I'll finally have someone to teach the game and all that jazz. It'll be awesome!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm a closet Pokémon fan so I don't know anyone who likes to play Pokémon. I'm sure there's a bunch of people at school that I know that play it, but there still is a 'uncool' stigma to it. Hopefully when I start college in September I'll try to open up to people more as they become more respectful of other people's tastes.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Zero as of now.

I used to know plenty of people who would play Pokemon whom I'd battle, trade with etc. Now though it seems I'm the only one left of the bunch of people I know... As far as I'm aware.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I know a lot of people that used to play it. How many do I know that still play it? Scant little, I'm afraid.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • I know 3 (and a half) people who play pokemon. Those 3 are, well, my cousins -_-
    The half person is this guy that does chemistry with me who, here and there, plays roms on gba4ios, lol.

Years
  • My boyfriend and my best friend play leisurely, two of my other friends play competitively, and I have a bunch of acquaintances that vary. So I'd say I know quite a few people in real life that play in some capacity, and the age range is like late teens to late 20's.

Years
  • Back in the RSE / FRLG times i had like 10/15 friends who played pokemon but only four of them (which were my closest) played it seriously, when DPP came out we all stopped playing. This was like, 8/9 years ago. Now i'm back into pokemon and i don't really know anybody how plays it too, that was the reason because i came to poke community

BatsyDarling

*✶вαтѕуdαяℓing ✶*
    Years
  • Most of my male friends I knew from high school or grade school play Pokemon, we actually spent our lunch breaks playing Pokemon with together when I was in grade school, I miss those days. Me and my brother grew up playing Pokemon as well, I also got my nephew into it.

Back