• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • Cretin = stupid or mentally defective; specifically, a stupid or mentally defective person; an idiot.
    Certain (the word you most likely actually mean here) = specific.

(Of course, there's also the to/too thing in this quote, but I'm mostly focused on the cretin/certain confusion.)

haahahaha he he ^_^;

I though that it looked weird, Stupid spell check.

Hey look at the bright side, it's not misspelled.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I have tons of weaponry in my fics. Swords, bows and arrows, throwing knives, energy canons that synthesize brain waves for power, Ceramitanium super-blades...

I don't think you really need an explanation for why you have/don't have weapons in your fic. People reading it will generally accept whether you do or not without you explaining why.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Shrike Flamestar said:
    And finally there's the whole effectiveness of weapons against Pokemon thing... (and associated text)
    Quite true, but if weaponry is that advanced, surely armor and defensive considerations are similarly high-tech. I don't imagine that pokémon in the military would be sent into battle without some measure of protection. In any case, I think that the primary advantage to using pokémon in a battlefield situation would be more their offensive capabilities, as opposed to their inherent toughness relative to humans. Because yeah, not even steelix is going to survive getting anti-tank'd.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • The only type I see having any chance of standing against bullets using their abilities is psychic, though.

Yay for steel types!

Oh yeah, here it is. Some of you may have seen this video before, but here's a picture of a railgun test firing. You see that fire? That's not from any black powder explosion, that's from air friction due to the projectile being launched at seven times the speed of sound. If it could do that to the air, just think what it could do to even the toughest Pokemon.
    A rail gun would probably not be used on a pokemon. They require ridiculous amounts of electricity to fire, which isn't even taking into consideration the absurd amount of time needed to load and arm them. Maybe on something like a Regigigas, but probably not on Gary Stu and his war-wearied eeveelution collection.

Unless of course you had a Zapdos powering it or whatnot. But then that Zapdos wouldn't be in the battlefield killing things.

Of course, if said rail gun was for some reason used on your average, everyday, red-blooded pokemon, there would be naught left but tiny smoldering bits. Thus you would probably have to BS some awesome armor into your story to make it less god-mode.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Yay for steel types!
    As I said, a gun with a high enough muzzle velocity and some sort of armor-piercing round would probably still be able to hurt them. Regardless, I was talking about abilities there such as controlling fire, water, and such. I don't think a metal claw or anything will do much to stop a bullet.

A rail gun would probably not be used on a pokemon. They require ridiculous amounts of electricity to fire, which isn't even taking into consideration the absurd amount of time needed to load and arm them. Maybe on something like a Regigigas, but probably not on Gary Stu and his war-wearied eeveelution collection.

Unless of course you had a Zapdos powering it or whatnot. But then that Zapdos wouldn't be in the battlefield killing things.

Of course, if said rail gun was for some reason used on your average, everyday, red-blooded pokemon, there would be naught left but tiny smoldering bits. Thus you would probably have to BS some awesome armor into your story to make it less god-mode.
    And also as I said, technology in the Pokemon universe is undeniably more advanced than ours; you only need to look at the Deoxys movie to see that. In the normal anime there are examples of a much higher level of technology as well, such as Hunter J's airship. You're thinking of rail guns today, in our world. But, we're not talking about our world here are we?

Also, it's not like a railgun has a set muzzle velocity or energy or anything. They can be launched slower, using less electrical energy and imparting less kinetic energy, making them more suitable for smaller caliber weapons. Keep in mind that today in our world, it's the military that is working on developing railguns, and of course they're going to try to make the biggest and most powerful BFG they can.

In other words for all of this, stop trying to think of the Pokemon world in terms of our own world, people. ;)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • On the subject of Psychic-type Pokemon having more of a chance, perhaps at first, but what about prolonged attacks? I'd assume that maintaining a barrier for any length of time chews up energy, so would even psychic moves withstand, for example, multiple machine guns firing at it simultaneously? Or would psychic moves weaken when there's multiple opponents (and/or) over an extended period of time?

Honest hypothetical question here, not an argument.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • I never said they'd last forever :D It's just like any type of protection; over time repeated attacks will wear it down, thus making the use of rapid firing guns even more practical since they'd chip away at the psychic Pokemon's energy pretty fast, especially if combined with other Pokemon attacking them at the same time or such.

Hmm, I've been playing it lately so a comparison to Fable's Physical Shield spell is due here :D You can keep it on for as long as you have mana and simply having it active doesn't drain any, but getting hit with it up will drain a good amount. If you get surrounded by a ton of enemies and rely on it to keep you safe, well, you better have a ton of mana potions at the ready.

With Pokemon, then factor in that the psychic Pokemon will probably be protecting other Pokemon and people at the same time, spreading whatever you want to call the energy they use (PP if you go by the game, I guess) really thin.

Heh, I love thinking of Pokemon like this. It's what I love about it, it's so open ended that you can think up all this crazy stuff and still stay largely within canon :D

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I actually think electric types would come in handy the most. Advanced armor would probably need power, and thus if you have an electric pokemon you could have more of it last longer. Plasma shields, electromagnetic repulsion systems, smart plating...it would all need a lot of juice.

Or you could have bio-materials that do completely ludicrous things as is the case with one of my fics. The synthesize-brain-waves-as-a-weapon thing is part of that system, as will be mind-powered shielding devices and other crazy stuff.

As for the rail gun, a hand-held one would probably need better kickback dampening than conventional .50 caliber assault rifles as well as some type of ingenious automatic or semi-automatic loading system (or you could just manually load one round at a time, which is tedious). It's just hard to rationalize is all, which I usually like to do at least partially when writing science fiction.

Once you do explain rail guns into the system, perhaps you could have a kind of weaponry food chain: you have snipers with rail guns, cloakers with EMP's and stealth to counter the snipers, and heavies with tech arrays including thermal vision to counter the cloakers. Then you'd just have your standard foot soldiers with whatever.

Or you could keep the railguns being huge, and have some kind of trajectory predicting counter-measure that uses an extremely intense laser to melt the round before impact, lessening its effectiveness. You could obviously use the laser as a weapon instead, but perhaps the opponent has a meta-material defense system that bends the laser harmlessly around the target.

It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, it's just that you would need a well-balanced system to keep your fic interesting. If you just say "oh yeah, rail guns are really small now and can kill everything," then there's not much to work with.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    We're no longer PFF anymore, guys.

We're PFF&P! Because... I don't know why. We just are. It just happened. I had no say.

You may all proceed to call us PFF&Pee/Pokemon Fanfiction and Urine or make other potty humor jokes. 8D

Nope. Still not allowing myself to post. I mean, PFF and PEE! This is what I think of.

And the current on-topic!discussion makes me really glad that I now no longer write Pokemon fanfiction. I love watching people overthink Pokemon fanfiction.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't know. I just let you all know about the name change for the section, and now I'm going to go back to being God.

Because God has really awesome messages. 8D Wrong fandom, Astinus.

Bay

Years
  • Eh, in NE I have my character holding a gun for one purpose. I also have the police use guns, but as a last resort. They would use their Pokemon first and if needed then guns.

I'll admit I overthink the Pokemon fandom sometimes...^^;

Hm, now we have poetry? This should be interesting...

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, it's just that you would need a well-balanced system to keep your fic interesting. If you just say "oh yeah, rail guns are really small now and can kill everything," then there's not much to work with.
    Hah, none of this stuff is actually part of my fics anyways. Well, not a prominent part at least. In TFC railguns don't exist but the military has an experimental weapon called the linear cannon that is sort of a cross between a railgun and a coilgun that comes into play later when this war breaks out. As with current railguns in our world, the linear cannon is huge and requires an insane amount of energy and time to charge (and thus I only plan to have it fire once in the whole story, to destroy the evil team's super weapon. Yay for super weapons!). 500 years later in TRINITY, railguns have been greatly refined and smaller, slower, and all around far less deadly versions are now standard armament, but TRINITY is so different from the normal Pokemon universe that I'm not going to get into that here. :D

One little thing though; Tashima's VF-EMRP (Variable-Function Electromagnetic Rail Pistol) in TRINITY while in it's standard pistol mode has a decently faster muzzle velocity than modern pistols but a smaller caliber. Its penetration is greater than modern pistols, but its kinetic energy, while higher than a modern pistol's, is nothing like what the experimental railguns the military are testing right now is like. All around the EMRP isn't that stronger than the modern pistol, it's just more efficient and economical because rather than using explosive powder, it uses electricity. As for explanations? Well, unlike you I guess I don't see the need to get that deep into how technology and things work *shrugs*. TRINITY is sci-fi, and while I explain the basics of some things and general concepts, I like to leave the more in-depth, behind the scenes details out; it's more magical that way. :D

And the current on-topic!discussion makes me really glad that I now no longer write Pokemon fanfiction. I love watching people overthink Pokemon fanfiction.
    It's not overthinking! :O I just like thinking outside the box and filling in the empty gaps in the Pokemon universe, and fleshing out what is already there. I'm not the type of person to be satisfied by merely going with "well, guns may or may not be in common use in the Pokeverse due to conflicting evidence", I need to actually look over what there is, and think through rather, in this case, guns would have a use there. I've since concluded that, yes, despite the presence of Pokemon guns do have a use. Then I'm not just satisfied with that either, I need to think about how they would be used, leading to the whole military thing above.

That's just how I am; I'm extremely imaginative and so not content unless I'm working on fleshing out the details of something or another. Just...not that in-depth; the actual mechanics and technology are fine being a mystery. Despite that I've still come up with the origin of life itself and how it works. Man, I'm weird.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I sound slightly stupid saying "Stop overthinking things!" when gods above know that I do that sometimes for a different fandom that I still write fics for. But I just never really got into the overthinking the Pokemon fandom. Perhaps I'm just still wishing for the old days I had when I actually enjoyed Pokemon fics. Now, I just don't want to look at them.

Kind of funny since I'm stuck as a moderator for a Pokemon fanfiction section.

You may all continue your discussions, and I'll go enjoy myself elsewhere.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? Or should I just shoot my computer?

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I sound slightly stupid saying "Stop overthinking things!" when gods above know that I do that sometimes for a different fandom that I still write fics for. But I just never really got into the overthinking the Pokemon fandom. Perhaps I'm just still wishing for the old days I had when I actually enjoyed Pokemon fics. Now, I just don't want to look at them.

Kind of funny since I'm stuck as a moderator for a Pokemon fanfiction section.

You may all continue your discussions, and I'll go enjoy myself elsewhere.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? Or should I just shoot my computer?
    It sounds like you've tarnished your love of pokemon fanfiction by either a) being around it too long or b) analyzing it to the degree that you simply can't enjoy reading it anymore without nit-picking. Unfortunately it's probably a fate to which we're all bound.

I over-think because that's how I am (engineer, yo). It's really difficult for me to write something as technical as a science fiction novel without going into detail about it. I can pull off not being crazy about things when it comes to fantasy, but then my character development side and creation-of-fantastical-things side go into overdrive.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    O.o Complain...to the high staff...? And get a new mod...?
    Weren't you here when I left before? o_O I had left the 18th of August from PC and came back a week-ish later. There was a week I wasn't mod, but...things happen, and now I don't have much choice but to stay in this fandom a bit. Kind of like how I don't like to swim at all, but I keep my feet in a bit to make others happy.

It sounds like you've tarnished your love of pokemon fanfiction by either a) being around it too long or b) analyzing it to the degree that you simply can't enjoy reading it anymore without nit-picking. Unfortunately it's probably a fate to which we're all bound.
    Not really analyzing. More like being freakin' paranoid that no one will like my fic because I want to have fun writing it. I can't get back into writing that fic for fun because I'm always worried someone is going to say "You shouldn't have done things this way! It's not good!"

Because, and this is what sucks about my life, I'm trapped between two camps of Pokemon fans. The ones who over-analyze canon, and others who follow the basics. And I like people on both sides, and I can't stay on one side and ignore the other, and...

I want to get away from it all. But I can't. And it just all makes me want to blow up my computer, but I can't. And... I hate feeling trapped. Being trapped.

For example, and going with what was recently discussed: I have three evil teams in my fic. None of them use any other form of weaponry except for their Pokemon teams (and bombs, because huge explosions are fun!) I like my evil teams as they are, but I fear that because I don't want to add guns, then I'll be labeled as a "clichéd writer" because evil teams should use guns! And I'm not sure why they have to. Because it's just like, I dunno, you could either shoot someone dead, or be a lying cheat and use your Pokemon to break some rule and kill a human that way.

I like surprise deaths in fiction. Sure, it would be easy to just aim a gun at a kid and fire, but it's more fun for me to read/write deaths/near-deaths where the way of death is a surprise.

I don't like over-analyzing everything I run across. The other fandom I'm in where I do? That's fun for me. I don't want to think so much about every fandom I'm in. (Let's overthink Twilight! :D)

And yes, I know. There's the whole BS (XD; ) about "Don't Like, Don't Read". Problem is that I kind of have to, since I have that bold name and the powers to make sure you all don't rip each other's throats out.

I over-think because that's how I am (engineer, yo). It's really difficult for me to write something as technical as a science fiction novel without going into detail about it. I can pull off not being crazy about things when it comes to fantasy, but then my character development side and creation-of-fantastical-things side go into overdrive.
    XD I'm writing science fiction fanfics right now. Really not too detail-orientated with the whole science fiction part of it. It just has brief mentions of aliens in it. I don't know what it is labeled as, actually. Source material is science fiction.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • I used guns in my fics without any further explanation. My protagonists had never seen guns before, because apparently guns are banned in their country. Why did I use weaponry? Because it was dramatic to get the girl shot in the arm. BANG! I know it's a terrible-ish reason to have the bad guys use guns but I wanted to do it.

I wanted to, and that's precisely the point. When we're real authors who publish their books, then everything has to be thought 100% thoroughly. But we're not. We're here to have fun. Of course, my concept of "fun" does include the research I do for my fics. like, you know, I like to have the Pokémon use the moves they actually can use and that sort of stuff. But isn't this going a bit overboard here?
    I don't think there has been any new arguments in a while, and this conversation really can never end in a way that would satisfy everyone. Somewhat like the quarrel between evolution and creationism :laugh:
    Go on, by all means, I'm having fun reading this conversation. You always point out the things that never cross my mind.

Because, and this is what sucks about my life, I'm trapped between two camps of Pokemon fans. The ones who over-analyze canon, and others who follow the basics. And I like people on both sides, and I can't stay on one side and ignore the other, and...

I think I know how you might feel. I always manage to end up in situations like that, where I can't do one thing or another because they're both "wrong". Before high school I even had three sets of friends, all with different interests and all hating the other sets and it nearly killed me. There was no-one I could be with as my actual, real self, always a part of my opinions had to be left out. Trapped, that's a really good word to describe it...

On another note: Why are we PFF&P now? I haven't seen too many poems around... There are more unnecessary spam threads than poetry, really. Then again, maybe poetry is a better addition than spam... "Pokémon fanfiction and spam" :laugh: No, really, all I meant to as is that is the poetry part necessary? Can't the poetry just... you know, hang around like it has done this far?
    Not that I have any complaints, I was just wondering.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • What the hell? We're now called Pokemon FanFiction and Poetry? How and, most importantly, why did this happen? I haven't even seen much of what you could call poetry here. Most of this so-called poetry takes the forms of name poems, which are the easiest to write. However, the authors of these poems even manage to mess these up.

Do you know what this means, Astinus? It means that you get to create rules stickies for poems now. Maybe this "poetry" addition will give your mod banhammer of doom some noobs to, you know, ban.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back