• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
  • Astinus, all I can say is that someone somewhere is bound to like whatever you write. I mean crap, this is pokemon fanfiction. It's probably the second most popular game series ever next to Mario. You'll find your niche, or your niche will find you. That sounded so creepy.

If you enjoy writing, it really shows and readers pick up on that. As long as you aren't posting a horribly cliched OT fic or whatnot (which will still net you some fans ;)), you'll even satiate most critics. Seriously, you shouldn't worry. I will repeat my favorite phrase:

"Just freaking write it already!" Or post it or do whatever it is you've been avoiding. Even if it's just the first chapter. If people don't like it, then fine. Don't post the rest. But if some people do (and I guarantee they will), then keep going. That's the formula I've used for all of my stuff: just throw yourself out there and see what happens. It hasn't failed me yet.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Astinus, all I can say is that someone somewhere is bound to like whatever you write.
    And by the same token, no matter what you write, someone is bound to hate it and all that it stands for. That's true for any fandom, not just Pokémon. And real-life fiction, too.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • You'll find your niche, or your niche will find you.

In Soviet Russia, niche finds you! *flee!*

Seriously, as lame as the new name may be, I really don't mind either way as long as decent poetry comes into the forum. Maybe I'll write a guide to poetic forms to make sure of this, but either way, I really hope I don't I see more acrostic poetry where the writers are going, "lol i made a poem out of the poke's name!!!!! arent i clever?!?!?" I know it's not my place to decide what kinds of crap come into the forum, but that kind of stuff just makes me want to microwave fuzzy bunnies.

In other words, I agree with jeffback here. Only I threaten more fuzzy bunnies in my rant.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Yeah, I don't really mind the name change either (why haven't I addressed this yet?). It's just kind of one of those "whatever" things.

On top of that, we can simply call this "The Lounge" now to avoid ridiculous acronyms. It sounds way more prestigious. XD

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • While on the simi topic of over thinking things:
    Spoiler:

Okay, I'm done.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    If the name of the board has changed, is the FFL orgy going to have to be renamed to? Funnily enough, the FFPL orgy actually has a ring to it.

On another note; Astinus, I'm pretty sure nearly everybody likes your style of posting (which in itself is a form of writing) so surely the people who would hate whatever you present to the board would be a very small number of people.

And that science-fiction piece sounds interesting.

Buoysel

Years
  • On another note; Astinus, I'm pretty sure nearly everybody likes your style of posting (which in itself is a form of writing) so surely the people who would hate whatever you present to the board would be a very small number of people.

I agree, I don't think I have read any of your stories, but I think the only people who would hate you, and be stupid enough to post their opinions, are n00bs. And no one listens to n00bs anyways.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Man, I'd love to see something Astinus has written. I mean, Astinus, I think your posts are so funny I read every damn thread you lock just to see what you've said in the last post. And I love those rules, too, and as you know, I'm not the only one. If your style in fic resembles your posts in the slightest bit, I'll love anything you write, be it a bloody, angsty darkfic or a sappy romance fic.

And, about the poetry: I think that if we are to have decent poets here, there should also be examples of a good poem, poem-writing FAQ and such. Otherwise we'll have heaps of crappy name poems like Xanthine and jeffback said. Frankly, I think there will be many anyway. Nevertheless, I think there should be at least some sort of info on rhymes, rhythm, and such. Whew, if this goes on, half of the threads visible on the Lounge will be stickies! Oh, and the quality rule does apply to poetry, too, right?

It would be awesome, though, if there were to be poem fics with a real plot ans multiple chapters and all ^-^ I don't have the skill required...

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I agree, I don't think I have read any of your stories, but I think the only people who would hate you, and be stupid enough to post their opinions, are n00bs. And no one listens to n00bs anyways.

Um, that's a bit over the top. Are you denying people who don't like Astinus' story the right to free speech? It's terrible to completely attack a story just because you don't like it, but if the person was to give constructive criticism, you can't exactly tell him/her to get lost.

Man, I'd love to see something Astinus has written. I mean, Astinus, I think your posts are so funny I read every damn thread you lock just to see what you've said in the last post. And I love those rules, too, and as you know, I'm not the only one. If your style in fic resembles your posts in the slightest bit, I'll love anything you write, be it a bloody, angsty darkfic or a sappy romance fic.

Here and here. A little bit of searching goes a long way.

Buoysel

Years
  • Um, that's a bit over the top. Are you denying people who don't like Astinus' story the right to free speech? It's terrible to completely attack a story just because you don't like it, but if the person was to give constructive criticism, you can't exactly tell him/her to get lost..

I said hate, not critacize. I'm all for free speech. I'm just saying that someone who would go up to a mod in their forum, and say that their fic sucks, and not give a reason, is probably short a few fries of a happy meal. That or they have no idea the evil one pissed off mod can do.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • If we're going to call this FF and Poetry, the latter needs its own sub-forum and set of rules. Poetry can mean so many things, so a rule-breaking n00b can post any crap and call it "poetry".

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • A subforum for poetry would be an excellent idea. I think it would be terrible if the already few good fictions are buried under a deep layer of name poems. Besides, while looking for something to read, I don't want to run into a million different poems about why Eevee is cute or whatever.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    The hilarious thing? I don't remember a darn thing from my two poetry classes. I also threw out all of my notes. So other people are going to have to handle the Pee side of PFF&P.

I did, however, come up with a hilarious slogan for PFF&P (let's see how many times this gets reported!): "PFF&P: We Put the Piss in Piss-Poor Fanfiction!"

As long as you aren't posting a horribly cliched OT fic
    Aw damn it!

And I'm just used to fandoms where all fanfiction/stories are welcomed. With open arms. And are begged for. Greatly.

And that science-fiction piece sounds interesting.
    It's...erm...yaoi! 8D

Man, I'd love to see something Astinus has written. I mean, Astinus, I think your posts are so funny I read every damn thread you lock just to see what you've said in the last post. And I love those rules, too, and as you know, I'm not the only one. If your style in fic resembles your posts in the slightest bit, I'll love anything you write, be it a bloody, angsty darkfic or a sappy romance fic.
    Here's the link to my writing journal, which has a few things posted there that I haven't posted here.

And because I just woke up an hour ago (five in the evening wake-up times, yes!), I was really retarded while reading these posts. And so... XD I thought An-chan called Xanthine a crappy name poem.

I'm going to head back to bed now.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • And because I just woke up an hour ago (five in the evening wake-up times, yes!), I was really retarded while reading these posts. And so... XD I thought An-chan called Xanthine a crappy name poem.
    I just read that myself again and I would assume I could have thought so, too :laugh: Actually, you made me laugh.

On the topic: I, too, think that a separate section for poetry would be awesome. The fanfic section has enough spam and bad poetry as it is now. Jeffback made a great comment:
    Besides, while looking for something to read, I don't want to run into a million different poems about why Eevee is cute or whatever.
    I completely agree. Although, the Eevee poem before wasn't about why Eevee is cute, it only told us Eevee is cute (even cuter than Pichu, by the way) and not at all vicious. Ahh, that sure cracked me up.

So, I vote for a separate poetry section! o/

Post Office Buddy

Years
  • "PFF&P: We Put the Piss in Piss-Poor Fanfiction!"
    I second the notion of the use of this slogan!

So other people are going to have to handle the Pee side of PFF&P.
    I'm not so sure that we will need too much quality control on poems for now (provided that there is a subforum for it), unless poetry suddenly becomes extremely popular. We should probably contact an admin about making a subforum so that well-written fics don't have to suffer the fate of a drowning puppy. (If you don't get what I mean, I mean that we don't want well written fictions to be drowned by an ocean of "poems".)

I thought An-chan called Xanthine a crappy name poem.
    Sad thing is, the first time I read it, I had thought the same thing. You must have been very confused lol.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Skitty is awesome
    Is Skitty really awesome?
    Truth is Skitty is awesome!
    Truth is Skitty will drown all the good fics!
    You love Skitty too dont u?

Imagine this with a different font, some creepy colours, the first letters with a font size trice as big and some more spelling mistakes.
    We don't want this to be the future of our poor, beloved fanfic section!
    Let's get poetry a section of it's own!
    Though I hope there'll be real poems, too... I've seen some, but they're terribly few in numbers nowadays. That'll be one dead section unless poetry becomes some insane trend all of a sudden. Like, say, if Paris Hilton or Tyra Banks was to write poetry, I'm sure we'd have lots of lovely poems!

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • And so... XD I thought An-chan called Xanthine a crappy name poem.

I thought that too. You may want to change your wording a bit there, An. Unless of course we wish this hilarity to continue, in which case it's fine how it is.

Something I also wondered, are electric pokemon AC, or DC?

DC I believe, like electric eels (I think those are DC).

Funnily enough, the FFPL orgy actually has a ring to it.

Fafaple. That's how I pronounce it.

I mean, Astinus, I think your posts are so funny I read every damn thread you lock just to see what you've said in the last post.

I do that too. I am not a stalker!

Aw damn it!

And I'm just used to fandoms where all fanfiction/stories are welcomed. With open arms. And are begged for. Greatly.

But...you...I though you were violently opposed to...

Stop confusing me!

Last edited:

Post Office Buddy

Years
  • LMAO, that's exactly what will happen. I had forgotten about Skitty... OH NO! WE ALL FORGOT ABOUT THE MOST LOVEABLE AND CUDDLY POKEMON EVER! MAGIKARP!

Seriously, if name poems take over the fanfiction forum, I'm going to become one extremely angry and vengeful reviewer... Any noob that dares to write a crappy name poem better beware >:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back