• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Online mmorpg

Please Vote on a name that you think would best suit this game!?!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacksprite

The Mad Sprite
Years
  • Hey guys big news not good news i'll get to that in a bit.

Well first off im replying to a post on the last page.
    Yes you will be able to move freely has simmilar contols to gba or VBA (the emulator) except zxcasd arn't the a b L R keys as u need thoose for chatting
    pretty much its the arrow keys mouse and the enter key for interacting.

another post i read;
    no i wont be releasing small parts of this game to show it off. i plan to release 2 versions 1 being the full release the other being a demo of the basics thats it. im not releaseing a chat room version. etc

Right and now the news
    As you are awear i have been programming this game for awhile now. and am very interested but it is slow work.
    I am moving shortly to auckland its a big city in new zealand (yes we have big citys). and i brought a new laptop for my work up there. VISTA. And it turns out the game is not able to run on vista (some new active x sercurity thing). None of the runtime files wil install there not unless you have ultamite version and then wil take a bit of figuring out.

so i was presented with 3 options.
    1. Make it anyway.
    2. Discontinue it.
    3. Recode the etire game.

1. not possable as i have vista and wont work on vista.
    2. nt going to hapen.
    3. So i am recoding the game in C++.

This isnt actually that hard as all the work i have already done just needs to be retyped in C++. pretty much all the hard work is done i just need to retype it. not much thinking required.

so thats what ive been up to for the last 2 months and the ame is looking alot nicer than before. it runs better its soomther and will genreally be better than before. so thats a plus thats come out of this. Hopefully i'll make the mapping system right the first time so i can get some mappers in to help out.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Oh man dude, thats a bummer. Your front page says your using VB to write it, what were you using to render. Was it a socket problem? VB is a pain to convert to c++ they look so different, although function the same. Your old screenshots look great, the GUI looks pretty solid. What database are you using? Looks cool, looking forward to seeing it further in development =)

Blacksprite

The Mad Sprite
    Years
  • Oh man dude, thats a bummer. Your front page says your using VB to write it, what were you using to render. Was it a socket problem? VB is a pain to convert to c++ they look so different, although function the same. Your old screenshots look great, the GUI looks pretty solid. What database are you using? Looks cool, looking forward to seeing it further in development =)

You covered alot of points that were updateing
    vb and c++ like most programming language is simmilar in structure you just have to learn the gramma.
    gui was one that we were using beacause thats what we had and we are greatful for it. it left me time to develop the game. (could alwasy use more help.) we were useing a file database system but thats incredable slow im thinking of updating to a diffrent system.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Hmm sounds like you guys got things undercontrol. Um for databases I suggest a MySQL its free, however I think there are some faster options I will browse around for you =P

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • C++, huh? i'm not yet familiar with it, although it can't be all that different from C#, which i'm currently working my hands in.

ah well, sorry i can't be much of help. wishing ya the best of luck, guys.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Actually C++ is somewhat like C# but not completely.

C++ uses pointers, in C# every variable is like a pointer, except for primitives.
    C++ has #define macros, As well as two source files. a .h and a .cpp
    C++ can be used for multiplatform software, however C# is microsoft only.
    C++ doesnt contain a primtive for strings, rather you use an array of char's.
    C++ has globals, and functions dont have to belong to a class.

C++ is really different at compile and runtime. So really the only thing they share is some keywords...

Blacksprite

The Mad Sprite
    Years
  • Msql was considered but we'd most likly overload the server. too much loading and saving. im thinking binary savefiles.
    the new server is about 10x faster.
    Client runs alot smoother.

Good to see you again samson.

c++ and c# and both derived from C so it shouldn't be too hard to switch between them.
    But this isnt a c++ forum.

Well ive finished finally setting up all the variables, saving and loading, clearing and client server communication.

so im getting there.
    Most of the hard thinking has already been done.
    Not looking forward to redoing the battle system, but it needed to be doen anyway.

Keep you posted.
    (oh in a week im moving so im not sure if i will have the internet or how much time i'll be abe to be on it, more so if there charginf $2 a megabyte!)

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Well C# I like to think of being derived more from java, even though microsoft doesnt own java, its basically "their" version of it, minus the applets and crappy jar files. But its a decent switch between the two just be prepared for the differences in inheritance. Also static works a little diffrent and totally eliminates the need for a "singleton"

Blacksprite

The Mad Sprite
    Years
  • But this isnt a c++ forum.
    I'll change that to "this isnt a thread to debate about coding languages"

althought i agree java is like c# but then java is Derived from C not that anyones going to admit that.

Well ive been fixing my own coding errors of late and spent the day with whitesp working out the fine deatails of the economy system.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    Yup, sorry for getting off-topic I'm trying to get some posts so I can post my game, darn 15 post limit. But your work looks fantastic and I hope to check back later and find a sweet game =)

felinoel

The Airbending Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 21, 2010
    So yea, I just saw this and am about halfway through reading all the posts and so far I have seen spamming, insulting, and an awesome game in the making. A bunch of my college friends were talking about the good ol' days of Pokemon, and one of them mentioned an MMO of Pokemon and so when I got home I looked into it, apparently there are quite a few now, one of them I think is up and running but currently has its servers down... So yea, I will be watching this, maybe posting an idea or two I guess.

We are approximately 44% through so almost half way... this is according to blacksprite's sig and may not be 100% correct.
    Two years ago this was posted =d

I voted for Pokémon Universe as a name.
    I did too, because I really like the name, too bad voting is for nothing now, why keep the poll if, as said earlier in the thread, you are sticking with PkmnTOA?

No, basically what happens is that it will slowly disappear. This is exactly what happened with every single version. "Yeah, my life's really busy so it'll take longer then I thought," turns into "Yeah, it'll be out eventually," to "I don't know!"
    Well i dont see you doing anything to help or make it come out quicker so what are you complaining about you'll get it when you get it.
    So do you guys want any help with anything then?

*thinks about secret bases*
    Record from my mind:
    Guy 1: Hey, I got here first!
    Guy 2: No, I did!
    Guy1: Let's battle!
    *battle*
    Guy 1: But you pulled out a level 67 pokemon on a level 34! cheater!
    Guy 2: I get the base still.
    *end record*
    The rest is chaos.

Oh, and when you said Yen, you meant Poke?(currency.)
    I don't see how that is cheating...

and if you look at the games the money symbol is yen Y with line throught it
    so we thought we'd keep the same currency
    seeing as 200 yen for a pokeball is about $2

as for blaziken_boys chaos theroy you forgot the part were they both call the police
    and we have to dispacth ppl to sort it out in the end i take the base

Update
    Major bug fixes and optrimazations to to metion mutliply syntax error fixes
    item system about 50% done
    Actually it is not Yen in the American games, it is Pokés, it is a P with a line through it and in one game they reference it as Pokés. Although in the Japanese versions it actually is Yen and they changed it to Pokés so a pokeball would not cost $1.87 (or so, I think thats how much two-hundred yen is in dollars), and so in the American versions it has always been a P with a line through it, and not a Y.

We already have that in effect, when u drop an item it remains on the map
    It disapeers after a while, right? Because if not, the ground will be coated in items...

id say maybey 70% done
    really percentages have abosolutly no meaning what so ever
    Woooo, so two years ago you guys were at 44%, and about a year and a half ago you guys were possibly at 70%

Cut was traditionally used to block progress in the single player game in order to complete a cronological series of advents
    Currently cut will not feature in the game although may be added later
    So Cut is being removed as an out of battle move and it can still be learned and used in battle, or is it being removed completely?
    I understand why you are removing it because it affects a single player from moving onward but in a multiplayer world anyone could cut for anyone and move through it, but can't it be made so that the tree being cut is only cut for the person cutting it? I have seen things like this in other games but I am not asking for it to be in the first version, maybe in future updates it can be added?

Last edited:

Blacksprite

The Mad Sprite
    Years
  • ok that was a long post

I'll skim over the fine points.
    no i don't see it as cheating either.

it has been a while and we have alot of detailed planning, and not prepared to give up 3 years of work,
    but we have had to change somethings and update.

if any one know how to program with c++ let me know i would love some help getting us back to where we were.

and i know its been awhile but what are you going to do about it. thats the real question. whitesprites very busy and helps whenever he can, other than that its me. with some coding support from a local guy names maxxemus.

felinoel

The Airbending Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 21, 2010
    ok that was a long post

I'll skim over the fine points.
    no i don't see it as cheating either.

it has been a while and we have alot of detailed planning, and not prepared to give up 3 years of work,
    but we have had to change somethings and update.

if any one know how to program with c++ let me know i would love some help getting us back to where we were.

and i know its been awhile but what are you going to do about it. thats the real question. whitesprites very busy and helps whenever he can, other than that its me. with some coding support from a local guy names maxxemus.
    Yea I am reading through the whole thread and commenting here and there, if I may I would like to point out my response to the whole currency thing, just hit a ctrl+f for yen and you should find where it is easily.

I may know of a few coders who might be interested, I am just an artist myself

EDIT: I will continue responding to the rest of the thread now
    Blacksprite, after seeing my maps for viridian forest, do you think it is wise that i head mapping?

Just got my new computer (since i returned the one that exploded) and i am right back into the sprites, I have done a lot more, havent numbered them yet, so i cant tell you all how many i have done. should have an update as soon as i stop long enough to number them.
    My old computer exploded too, although there was more melting then exploding, I was told the power supply had something or other wrong with it, what was wrong with yours?

TMs wont be able to be brought whenever you like and each pokemart will have a stock limit if they dont have it you cant buy it and tms will be quite rare

EDITED FOR UPDATES

We'll a whole day of working and thats the item system done
    now im working on pokemon storage
    I know this is mildly based off of the R/B/Y world, but can pokemon hold items? That way people can sell items by having an easy to catch pokemon hold an item and sell the pokemon holding it, or can people just sell items without the pokemon involved? EDIT: Well I guess not being able to sell items is also an option

Its an mmo you cant have single player storylines in it but yes team rocket is still around and so is giovanni but they will be acting very mysterious and sneaky like around the game
    But, you can, ages ago when I used to play Runescape, they do it all the time, in fact it is basically what I was mentioning when I spoke of the Cut thing in my previous post (no offense intended)

Umm that made as much sense as England winning the ashes.
    Wow, if I hadn't read the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy, I would not have understood that statement, darn my Americanness and my uncaring for such a sport, although the versions of the game played on other dimensions sound interesting, my favorite rules is to grow an extra arm, not to play with but because it will amuse the crowd; wow I sure went offtopic here -_-'

Using auto-programs or hacks will get you banned
    I wouldnt recommend this as the software permanently bans your computer from PTOA automatically... not even reinstalling the client will save you after you get permbanned.
    Whats wrong with that? I hate cheaters

I see why the download is big.

How about Trainer Card Changes like:

Getting Badges:

1 Badge = Yellow Card
    3 Badges = Orange Card
    5 Badges = Red Card
    8 Badges = Blue Card

Beat the Elite Four = Gray Card
    Donate over 10,000 Pokecash to (Insert anything here) = Shiny Card
    Donate over 100,000 Pokecash = Pikachu Sticker

Win any Contest = Any Sticker or any Color Card Change, or a Background

Just an Idea
    11.4mb download isnt that bad unless your on dial up

121mb is only the space required on the harddisk

I like the ideas of the trainer card colors
    im thinking of adding it

but we need some one to design them we had a desgin a while back but im thinking something more pokemony gba like
    If this is still needed I could totally do this, although idk about pikachu being one, maybe one for each of the 28 starters and have you get the one of your starter or you could choose which one I guess

1st im crazy
    2nd im crazy
    3rd Pika chu!

Well I would help but i cant cos im useless as a magikarp.
    And the only thingi an help with is , is mapping.

And i mean will anyone else be on, as im In france and its 4:26 am here and im crazy.
    Magikarps are AWESOME! And they can learn tackle if you take your gameboy to that pokemon center in New York so that makes them slightly less useless

Yes breeders are planed also berry farmers. as well as the following shops
    1. Furniture
    2. ---------- (colors & paint) looking for a name thinking of merging this with the juices and mixed remedies but i will need a new name for that type of shop.
    3. Textiles (Weaver)
    4. Manufacturing (PokeBalls etc)
    5. Shipwrights
    6. Chemicals(potions etc)
    7. Juices & Mixed remedies
    For the chemical shop, call it an Apothecary, it sounds better

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back