• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The EU Referendum

Lokiepie

ooh...Cake!
Years
the Euro will collaspe one day is what I mean

as for scotland well not everyone wants independence, just cause SNP say they do....

No true my family voted against independence. But a lot of Scotland also don't like the idea of not be part of the EU. This could tip things in favour. Furthermore since the current government reneged on the agreements made after, there's a few ill feelings. The vote was close but largely swayed by England bein part of the EU.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
the Euro will collaspe one day is what I mean

as for scotland well not everyone wants independence, just cause SNP say they do....

Well, the Euro and the European Union are completely different things, the UK is not in the Euro, has agreed it that will never be if it doesn't want to, and this referendum has nothing to do with the Euro, but with the entire EU- like, the freedom to move to other European countries without having to appeal for immigrant visas or the ability to trade freely with the rest of the continent without tariffs. You are saying no to all of that.

Also the "not everyone" can be applied word by word in this case too. At last 45% want to leave the UK, and considering that Scotland is staunchly pro-European, being dragged out by England may be the tipping point for the 6% they need to win.

When is the result of the vote supposed to be announced btw?

Polls close at 22:00 (this is all GMT+1), first realistic results should be up at about 3:00 (until then, Remain should be leaving comfortably) and the results should be mostly solid by 6-7. If every vote ends up mattering, final declaration will happen at about 9:00.

Reactions: Nah

Lumina

Lucid Melody
Years
I've heard that Scotland plans to initiate another independence vote if the UK leaves the EU. But that's all I know of it, just hearing it's a thing.

I voted to remain within the EU. I can't see any reason that anyone who has any kind of sensibility within them would vote to leave. There is nothing good that can come of it. With the UK being where it is geographicaly, even if we leave there is almost no choice but to continue trade with Europe. So we'd still get all the negatives we already get, but increased, such as import costs and whatnot, but with none of the benefits like free movement within the EU.

Years
Well I am unable to vote until like another year or so but this eu referendum debate has had an impact on my household.
My parents have decided to vote leave and a few other people I know do have sentiments of " Lets make Great Britain, great again" it would be nice if that was so easy but its not.
Honestly I understand both sides but it would be such a gamble to leave because we dont know what can happen because isnt it just predictions of what will happen? I recall someone making an argument about that.
To be honest I feel the eu is becoming too undemocratic and untrustworthy that even though David Cameron has had talks about " reforms" with the MEPS nothing noticeable at all has come out of it and sometimes I hate the vibe that all brexiteers are racist and xenphobic because were not, I love Europe alot especially due to its culture, food, language and my closest friends who I love so much are Polish and Slovakian.
Although what about the commonwealth? Wouldnt we be able to trade with them? I feel like Britain and the commonwealth is such a much more better combination. ( just wondering)
However I feel like this is part of British Identity, we`ve always been a bit more isolated away from Europe.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Well, the Euro and the European Union are completely different things
Wouldn't say that they're completely different things, remember that Euro is administered by The European Central Bank which is one of the seven institutions of the European Union (EU) listed in the Treaty on European Union (TEU).

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
@mewtwolover They're at least different enough that the Euro isn't part of this particular debate. We are not in the Euro zone and never have to be.

----

I can't wait for this to be over. It's all I see on Twitter/Facebook/at work/on signs in the street and its been dragging on weeks and weeks. These TV debates are pointless, people have largely been decided for months ever since the first campaign started.

I voted #remain this morning, as I don't want my country to be the sort that refutes the needs of others. I cannot stand the sickening views I've seen declared about refugees and those who need aid - and whilst I know this isn't the crux of most #leave-ers, its one of those things that has a lot of people backing it.

How can anyone think Britain will be "great" if it ignores those affected by war? How do they expect it to be "great" with little to no forward planning if we were to #leave?

I hope that anyone at all who is still undecided will vote #remain. If we leave now and change our minds there's not much chance to get things back to the way they are. I'm not willing to risk my future, my (hypothetical) childrens' futures.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
YouGov calling 52-48 for Remain. Farage said on Sky "it looks like Remain will edge it". Boris looked depressed on the Tube according to twitter witnesses.

More news at 3 (am).

pkmin3033

I'm not staying up until 3am for the results, but...oh yeah, it's going to be very close. I'm expecting Remain to edge it out and a lot of people to be unhappy about it. But no more unhappy with the last election results, I'm sure.

I ended up voting Remain, and so did my father. My mother voted Leave after the live debate, she said. Didn't make that much of an impression on me, honestly.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Boris looked depressed on the Tube according to twitter witnesses.

Sounds like his dreams of being PM are dashed.

Voted Remain, so that we can continue to participate in EuroVision

EDIT: To add, I am content with the way things as they are. I do not want to take the risk of changes in employment opportunities when I graduate next year.

Years
YouGov calling 52-48 for Remain. Farage said on Sky "it looks like Remain will edge it". Boris looked depressed on the Tube according to twitter witnesses.

More news at 3 (am).

That means the result will be announced at 12 noon for me (I think). Definitely going to be a close call, but I think like you said there, Remain might edge it out.

Years
I read somewhere that even if the UK leaves, it won't be that big of a deal, because a new arrangement can be negotiated that offers UK a bit less of the benefits of the EU but a little more flexibility. If I understand correctly, the UK won't just completely drop the EU even though it will no longer satisfy the criteria of membership; it'll be at arm's-length.

Can anyone remark on how true that might be? And what are the benefits of leaving the EU anyways?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I have seen some stats that show that Brexit is leading by 1% (maybe a bit less or more, but really close regardless), but idk how credible they are (found it on a pro-Brexit insta account). This was like a few hours ago i think.

I dont really have any opinions on it. I think the mindset of Brexit is that Britain should rule itself and not by others farther away, and that economic collapse would not occur because it is mutually beneficial for everyone to remake contracts.

Years
What a nailbiter. For all the flaws of the EU, it has done quite well in promoting European peace for the past half century. While it makes more sense for the more troubled periphery to leave i.e Greece, the British leaving while at the same time having to renegotiate common EU market regulations in the end is an exercise in futility.

Anyway, I guess we gotta prepare for more market shocks and another reminder to the rise of populist nationalism post 2008

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Within minutes of Brexit being announced, the pound has already dropped to its lowest value since 1980!

Hail Britannia, I guess!

Years
Well so far the leave camp have won :o
43 results left undeclared still.
But really though its kind of nerve-wrecking because we dont know what could happen to our economy.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Geert Wilders (a right wing leader in the Netherlands) has called for a similar referendum following the results of Brexit. This is a guy who recently teamed up with Marine Le Pen to attempt a coalition of various nationalistic, xenophobic parties in the European Parliament. So, you know, that's a reason to be worried.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Let's make the world a better place by dividing it more! -Logic2016

I'll be sure to hold off on buying any stocks as I'm sure the market is about to plummet...

Eyy... Post numbre 500. Cool

Last edited:
Back