• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What Is Your Favorite 1st And 2nd Gen Game?

What Is Your Favorite 1st And 2nd Gen Game?

• Red

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Blue

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Yellow

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Silver

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Crystal

Votes: 35 57.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    I played Gold for a little when it came out, but never finished it. I recently got a copy of Silver and am about halfway through. I am really enjoying Silver, so I had to vote for that as my favorite. ;)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    1 gen game is Yellow, and 2 nd generation would be Crystal

Yellow and Crystal. Like many others.
    I have to echo you. Yellow was the first Gen 1 game I played and I couldn't really enjoy the gray Red/Blue after that. It was a bit annoying to have Pikachu after a while, but at least you could get all the other starters as well!

As for Gen 2, I played Gold a lot and am not sure I ever truly finished Crystal. But the things Crystal improved - such as less annoying phone calls and the option to finally play as a girl (!) were so good that it wins against the Gold/Silver versions. Also moving sprites which I still love, even better than the modern models in 3D.

Nyro

The Bug Master
    Years
  • Yellow and Crystal, They just had a little more to offer not to mention the trading pain yellow saved you on being able to get all the starters.

ZoneX

Spriter
    Years
  • 1st Gen: Yellow! Mainly because it first introduced a Pokemon following you as you walked around(Love that feature in HG/SS). Even if it was just a Pikachu whom didn't want to evolve no matter how many times you tried to activate the Thunderstone!! RAGE!!!

2nd Gen: Crystal(even though Silver was the first game cartridge I owned) cause you could play as a girl plus, the Pokemon sprites were animated when you encountered them just before a battle, and the Battle Tower!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    For Gen 2 and both Gens combined, it's Crystal. You don't know how awesome it felt to finally be able to play as my own gender, and I loved the added stuff such as Eusine, the expanded Dragon's Den, the Odd Egg, animated sprites, and so forth.

For Gen 1, it's Yellow. Not only was it my first game, but it had nicer graphics than Red/Blue and all sorts of fun additions like Jessie/James, all of the starters, and Pikachu's Beach. The following Pikachu was also cute, although its lack of either an evolution or a Light Ball was annoying.

Years
  • For generation 1 it was Yellow because it followed the show and you could get all of the starters. For generation 2 it is Crystal because of the animations it had for the Pokémon.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Yellow because of being able to get all of the starters. I remember bragging that I had Ash's original team (Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle). The only thing in the game I did not like was Koga because of how high his team's levels were. That was ridiculous. But still, I would play Yellow forever just in it being the only game where you could get all starters. I wish they would remake that or add some feature where that is possible if they ever remade the Kanto games.

I always picked Gold just for the fact that I liked Ho-Oh. I remember having a cousin that had Yellow and he traded his Pikachu and starters to his Silver and then to Gold, starting the game with the four just as Ash had done at the start of Johto in the anime, despite the fact that they would not listen to him. When I played against Red, I used the Johto starters, Pikachu, Umbreon and Dragonite against him. It was supposed to be a parallel version of his team.

Years
  • Yellow is the second most memorable Pokémon game I've owned, after FireRed. Pikachu is my favorite Pokémon, and I loved the additions such as all three starters. I couldn't beat Silph Co., though, since all my Pokémon were level 20-30 (excluding Pikachu, who was at around level 65, which I find ridiculous now). I started over, got all the way to Blaine, and then I lost the game.

Gold is my favorite Generation II game simply because it's the only one I've owned.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Yellow and crystal were my favorite out of gen 1&2.

I mean I had all of them but silver, but those are my favorite out of all of them

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • For Generation I, it'd have to be yellow for me. It was the most unique out of the three with the follow me feature . Plus, I built an epic team when I was a kid. I remember having a Hypno that destroyed anything it faced with Psychic. Good times. :')

As for Gen II, Gold. It was the first Pokemon game I ever played and still to this day it is my favourite Pokemon game of all time. There's so much nostalgia for me in it that it will always be my favourite.

Years
  • Yellow and Crystal! Yellow had such breathtaking sprites and even now I look back on them in awe since I loved so many. Huge step up from R/B visually.

Crystal because I loved the story as well as the sprites. The second generation will continue to be my most-replayed generation; can't ever see that changing. Suicune was awesome.

Years
  • For Generation I it'd be Yellow, even though they took out the Missingno glitch that the first games had. And Crystal I guess takes Generation II's spot for me, even though it didn't feel much different.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    For Generation I it'd be Yellow, even though they took out the Missingno glitch that the first games had. And Crystal I guess takes Generation II's spot for me, even though it didn't feel much different.
    If you play Crystal and Gold/Silver side by side, the feel of the game is more and more drastic one you get passed Ecruteak. The animation literally ruined me from every pokemon game since.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • My favorites are Red and Crystal.

I don't like Yellow. The anime additions sucked (I'm looking at you, Pikachu), and most of the gym rosters are boring, and also the level curve is too steep. But Yellow has those great sprites based on the then latest artwork.

I had Blue back in the day but I prefer Red because it has Growlithe and also male Nidoran is easier to obtain.

Crystal is a no brainer. It's objectively better than Gold and Silver.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2015
    It has to be Yellow and Crystal. They are just simply the best!. In Pokemon Yellow you had following Pikachu like in the anime. It was really neat since I was introduced in series by anime.

Back