• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rare crash when running between connected maps

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2016
    Crash when running between connected maps

Started to get an odd error after we updated to 13, just curious if anyone's seen anything similar.

Exception: NoMethodError
    PokemonField:1426
    PokemonField:1423:in `call'
    PBEvent:54:in `trigger'
    PBEvent:49:in `each'
    PBEvent:49:in `trigger'
    Game_Character_2:67:in `update_move'
    Game_Character_2:6:in `update_old2'
    Walk_Run:96:in `update'
    Game_Event_:249:in `update'
    Game_Map_:422:in `update'

------

It happens when we're transitioning from one map to another. They're set in sequence, so there aren't multiple maps involved. The setup is something currently like this-

A
    BCD

A isn't touching anything but B. B is only touching A and C, etc.

The transition issue normally happens from A->B or B->A. And 90% of the time or so (estimated; I haven't actually measured) it seems to be when we're running, rather than walking. Is it just an issue of the map being too large/having too many events? I wouldn't think so given that the demo's Route2 isn't any longer than our Route1.

Any ideas? This only happened once we updated to 13, and we haven't touched any of the scripts mentioned in the errors.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2023
    Ok, I have had this exact same issue before. The problem happens when there is a moving event close to a map connection and you try looking at it from the other side of the connection.
    Sometimes essentials can't handle this very well.
    My solution was to move the events that need constant updating away from the connection.
    I don't know, however, how to fix the problem in a satisfactory way.

Hope I've helped.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Why was this moved from the bug report thread?
    Started to get an odd error after we updated to 13...
    ...we updated...
    That's why. So often people claim that they haven't touched anything relevant, but they have. Or they claim they updated to the latest version properly, but they didn't. The word "updated" can't be trusted.

Giu, if you knew of this bug, why didn't you ever mention it? Working around it is worse than finding an actual fix, but I can only try to fix things I know are broken. I still don't know from your description exactly what kinds of events are affected nor how to cause the problem to occur.

Leaf Shinigami

Comic-Book Writer in Training
    Years
  • That's why. So often people claim that they haven't touched anything relevant, but they have. Or they claim they updated to the latest version properly, but they didn't. The word "updated" can't be trusted.

Giu, if you knew of this bug, why didn't you ever mention it? Working around it is worse than finding an actual fix, but I can only try to fix things I know are broken. I still don't know from your description exactly what kinds of events are affected nor how to cause the problem to occur.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=314595

You could've atleast tried to look at what threads he made before posting that, Maruno.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2016
    @Giu-

Gotcha. Yeah, we do have a few wanderers right at the edge of one of the maps, so we'll see if fixing that changes things. Thanks the idea mang.

@Maruno-

The post that Sam linked was the post the one we had seen before. If it is caused by moving events during transitions, might be something to look at. For now, we'll just edit the events.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • this may be this error or not, i don't know, but try and see if on the map that causes the error, one of your events has a tileset as a graphic that does not exist - check every event and make sure it's graphic is set to what it should be, and if it doesnt look like it has a graphic or shouldnt, make sure it is set to none
    if that desnt work then start a new game and se if its an error from transitioning from 12 to 13
    if that doesnt fix it, remake the map without any events and see what happens and put each event where it should be and test them
    (you can easily remake a map by taking the select tool [the dotted line one] on the 3rd layer, and selecting from one corner to the other corner of the map)

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2023
    Actually I mentioned it before, more than once. This is an old bug. I reported it several times in this forum, but no one had a solution.
    I carefully made many experiments to find the source of the crash, and I concluded it was caused by a problem in updating events in other maps.

Whant I found out is:
    The crash happens when events are moving close to the boundary of the map, in the other side of the connection.
    Events moving with any frequency can cause the crash, but events moving with higher frequencies tend to cause it more often.
    The crash happens as soon as the moving event is one square away from the players view sight.
    If the moving event happens to be a little bit further away when you cross the boundary, no crash happens.
    Animated autotiles, definetely don't cause the crash.
    The crash happens whether the event is moving randomly or is in a predefined trajectory.
    Events that are updating, but are not chaning in position, do not cause the game to crash.
    For some reason, a few moving events that meet the above criteria do not cause the crash.