• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge 2: Gladiator stuff idek

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
  • Honestly, I don't think the Talon Helmet was used by any of it. Since we only have two helmets to choose, one of them probably doesn't apply to any of the 3.

Anyways, this is pretty much the list that seems to be the most correct to me from what I've found/what's been discussed in this thread,

1. Mirmillones

Dorsal helmet
    Large Oblong Shield
    Padded Shin Guards
    Sword

2. Retiarii

Dagger
    Net
    Trident
    Shoulder Guard

3. Hoplomachi

High Leg Greaves
    Small Round Shields
    Spears

Definitely not saying that's what we should go with, because chances are it's not entirely correct.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't think the Talon Helmet was used by any of it. Since we only have two helmets to choose, one of them probably doesn't apply to any of the 3.

Anyways, this is pretty much the list that seems to be the most correct to me from what I've found/what's been discussed in this thread,

1. Mirmillones

Dorsal helmet
    Large Oblong Shield
    Padded Shin Guards
    Sword

2. Retiarii

Dagger
    Net
    Trident
    Shoulder Guard

3. Hoplomachi

High Leg Greaves
    Small Round Shields
    Spears

Definitely not saying that's what we should go with, because chances are it's not entirely correct.
    The mirmillones had thick foot wraps, not padded shin guards. They also had low leg greaves.
    The padded shin guards also belong to the Hoplomochi.

I'd say you were a lot closer in the first post than this one.

Has anyone else noticed most of these challenges are only hard becuse of Antemortem's lack of full explanations and vague definitions/descriptions?

Olli

Years
  • The mirmillones had thick foot wraps, not padded shin guards. They also had low leg greaves.
    The padded shin guards also belong to the Hoplomochi.

You were a lot closer in the first post than this one.

You're basing that entirely off the wikipedia page though, I assume. I've found other descriptions that state them to have used shin protectors, and what's really tipping me over edge is the hint we were given.

- This gladiator is known for their weak shins

Would be a bit weird if they did nothing to protect them, don't you think?

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • According to the wikipedia article, both the Mirmillones and Hoplomachi used arm guards, so that's probably why it was excluded. Though it also says both used swords, but I think it's safer to go with the Mirmillones in any case, since otherwise they'd be without a weapon.

hngg

[edit] I honestly think the Mirmillones are the ones with the padded shin guards. Even though the hint stated that they had weak shins, they don't have any armor protecting it according to our list. And since greaves aren't consistently mentioned, I reckon the padded shin guards are probably our best bet.
    If they had weak shins that means they wouldn't have padding lol. They had short greaves and foot wrap so their shins were left more exposed than other gladiators, making it a weak point.

Olli

Years
  • If they had weak shins that means they wouldn't have padding lol. They had short greaves and foot wrap so their shins were left more exposed than other gladiators, making it a weak point.
    Oh duh. I was thinking they just inherently had weak shins and would need to protect them. Yeah, then greaves would probably make more sense.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • You're basing that entirely off the wikipedia page though, I assume. I've found other descriptions that state them to have used shin protectors, and what's really tipping me over edge is the hint we were given.

Would be a bit weird if they did nothing to protect them, don't you think?
    No, they're saying the type of gladiator they were had weak shins. They're not saying that there's a race or trait of weak-shinned people recruited solely as that gladiator type so they needed to cover their shins. They're saying that this type of gladiator, due to its armor/defense had weak shins.

Edit: Sorry, posted this before I saw your response :p

Olli

Years
  • No, they're saying the type of gladiator they were had weak shins. They're not saying that there's a race or trait of weak-shinned people recruited solely as that gladiator type so they needed to cover their shins. They're saying that this type of gladiator, due to its armor/defense had weak shins.
    Understand?
    I know, I said I realised that in the last post lol

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I think we're safe and ready to go, once Christos gets here at least.

Which will hopefully be soon 'cause I'd rather not die from poisoning so early, lol.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • I think we're safe and ready to go, once Christos gets here at least.

Which will hopefully be soon 'cause I'd rather not die from poisoning so early, lol.
    Could we get your input on the talon helmet please?
    It's something I think the group should decide on since there's so much room for interpretation with this one.

Also, Wobbu reported the other team already submitted their answers so all we can do now is hope they got something wrong and that we get everything right.

Nakuzami

Years
  • Could we get your input on the talon helmet please?
    It's something I think the group should decide on since there's so much room for interpretation with this one.

Also, Wobbu reported the other team already submitted their answers so all we can do now is hope they got something wrong and that we get everything right.

oh well I'm probably dead, lol

the helmet is correct, I think. The hoplite has a feathered helmet thingy, which is similar, but the dorsal helmet is mainly solid, which fits the mirmillones

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • oh well I'm probably dead, lol

the helmet is correct, I think. The hoplite has a feathered helmet thingy, which is similar, but the dorsal helmet is mainly solid, which fits the mirmillones
    Yeah, I think we've pretty much decided dorsal=mirmillones.
    I was actually wondering how you felt about the talon helmet fitting the hoplomachi helmet?

But the real question here (which applies to both helmets) is does it count? The dorsal helmet and and talon helmet both aren't real things. At this point we're interpreting them and using a descriptive represention of what they really are. My worry is that Antemortem poisoned players for posting gifs so he/she seems to care about the words they use. The dorsal/talon helmet could just be a trap to see if we give meaning to something potentially meaningless.

I'm probably just overthinking this/being paranoid.
    Just thought I'd throw it out there to see how others felt.

Nakuzami

Years
  • Yeah, I think we've pretty much decided dorsal=mirmillones.
    I was actually wondering how you felt about the talon helmet fitting the hoplomachi helmet?

But the real question here (which applies to both helmets) is does it count? The dorsal helmet and and talon helmet both aren't real things. At this point we're interpreting them and using a descriptive represention of what they really are. My worry is that Antemortem poisoned players for posting gifs so he/she seems to care about the words they use. The dorsal/talon helmet could just be a trap to see if we give meaning to something potentially meaningless.

I'm probably just overthinking this/being paranoid.
    Just thought I'd throw it out there to see how others felt.

well he did say not everything would necessarily be used

and I didn't even notice the talon helmet oh my. Yes, that one is more often feathered so it works.

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • Welp, the different time zones make it very hard for me to keep up with such a discussion (I'm in CEST).
    Furthermore, all my knowledge of this topic has been covered already (which isn't very much) thanks to the great effort of you guys!

Genkaku

[Placeholder]
    Years
  • I'm sorry that I couldn't really participate in the challenge but there is a little thing called GMT +1 which means that this was all happening when I was asleep and I don't really think I have any information that hasn't already been said, i'm really sorry for me not participating but I will try to stay up late next time.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
  • Welp, the different time zones make it very hard for me to keep up with such a discussion (I'm in CEST).
    Furthermore, all my knowledge of this topic has been covered already (which isn't very much) thanks to the great effort of you guys!

I'm sorry that I couldn't really participate in the challenge but there is a little thing called GMT +1 which means that this was all happening when I was asleep and I don't really think I have any information that hasn't already been said, i'm really sorry for me not participating but I will try to stay up late next time.

It's cool guys.
    Would be really helpful if you read up on the helmet debate spanning the pages and weighed in with your opinions on the matter though. :3

Edit:nvm we decided the helmet doesn't count

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Sorry for not posting at all, I had no internet last night and I'm off to work. I'll be back in 6 hours, though.

Just wanted to post and say that if any poisoned member would like to drop out, there's 3 of you and we have to eliminate half of you (1 or two?).

Another thing:

Antemorem said:
    The first team to private message me a list of correct answers wins; additionally, the team representative may choose half of their poisoned members to save.

It doesn't have to be me sending the PM, from what I understand, so if you guys decide on an answer earlier, someone might as well PM the answers! I don't have time to check the thread right now, but I think if someone should do it it's Olli.

And another thing, Antemortem doesn't say that we can't private message him the the list of answers twice, so if Olli PMs the answers soon and we find out some of our answers were wrong, we can still PM Antemortem again with the correct answers, right? We need to be quicker than Team 1, and be correct, so that's our best option. However, as I'm not sure about this, I'll let you guys discuss this, posting in the challenge thread about this means Team 1 will also know this (if they don't already),

edit: also, more quotes:

Antemortem said:
    The team representative will be the one in charge of sending in challenge answers.

Antemortem said:
    Here's the first thing you need to know about challenges: individual team members are at liberty to do whatever they want. Challenges, for the most part, request the team representative to send in valid answers/entries. However, anyone can send in a team's entries at the cost of something else, said sacrifice will be included in the challenge.

Just read this after the first part of my post, my current suggestion is, one of our poisoned members can PM the list of the answers (unless you'd like to wait for me and risk Team 1 being first). The team member messaging the answers might either be poisoned or eliminated, and since one of our poisoned team members has to go, they might as well help their team! However, Antemortem mentions no sacrifice for Challenge 2, so we might as well take advantage of this, as there might be no penalty for this at all! Again, I was thinking of posting to confirm this in the thread, but then Team 1 would see it, but since we'd only be doing this since I'll be off for a few hours and we want to be quicker than Team 1, someone may post and ask if you all agree. Though by ask, I mean something like: "You mentioned no sacrifice for the (whatever) part so there's no sacrifice!". :)

Anyway, I think our strategy should be: someone PM the answers right now and then if we find out we got some wrong I can PM the answers again later. Be back soon!

Years
  • Just read this after the first part of my post, my current suggestion is, one of our poisoned members can PM the list of the answers (unless you'd like to wait for me and risk Team 1 being first).

Wobbu said:
    i was told by elheroeoscuro that the other team already submitted their answers... so i guess just make sure everything is correct before we submit our answers

Apparently Team 1 (or Team Ludicolo) already submitted their answers, but like Marsyas suggested earlier, that could have been a trick.

Back