• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge 2: Gladiator stuff idek

Years
    "-This gladiator is known for resembling the hoplite"

Hoplites are also most depicted using spears, so I'm fairly sure that spears is the right one. All the weapons look correct to me.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    I think Sean is right about the first one, Sorry i was late everyone I was at the hospital with my sister today.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    In any case, I think we should focus more on getting as many correct answers as we can. If we're the last team to send in the PM and have the most correct answers, only one person will be eliminated, but if we have the least correct answers we risk losing at least 3 people.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    So, I took a look at the wiki, and I think that seems correct. I'm feeling a little bit confident on our answers. We'll just have to wait for Christos for him to give the answers.

#GoTeamSpheal

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    i was told by elheroeoscuro that the other team already submitted their answers... so i guess just make sure everything is correct before we submit our answers

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Okay what I'm sure of is

1. Murmillones
    - low leg greaves
    - large oblong shield
    - sword

2. Retiarii
    - trident
    - dagger
    - net

3. Hoplomachi
    - small round shield
    - high leg greaves
    - spear

That leaves dorsal helmet, sickle, padded shin guards, talon helmet, and shoulder guard.

Dorsal helmet: While I can't find anything particularly telling, the Murmillones are said to have worn a helmet (of the Cassis Crista type, according to wiki) with a stylized fish on the crest. The images I get from that seem pretty dorsal fin-like to me. And the Retiarii don't wear helmets.

Sickle: The Retiarii are based on fishermen, the Murmillones on soldiers, the Hoplomachi on the militia. While that makes the Hoplomachi most likely to end up using a sickle, I find no evidence that states they indeed did use it. So this one belongs to none of them.

Padded shin guards: The Hoplomachi and Murmillones have greaves. It is not mentioned anywhere I can see that the Retiarii wore shin guards, but looking at some of the art from the time it seems they have light armor on the shins.

Talon helmet: If we attribute the dorsal helmet to the Murmillones, the Talon helmet must either belong to the Hoplomachi or none of them, as of the Retiarius it is said, "he wore no head protection or footwear." The Hoplomachi are said to have a bronze helmet, but of what type? It is a mystery. I don't know what either of these helmets are supposed to look like btw? The terminology used is giving me NOTHING.

Shoulder guard: While the Murmillo arsenal mentions an armguard (manica) that extends the length of the arm and covers the shoulder, the Retiarius is very specifically given a "shoulder shield", a galerus. So for wording's sake, I'd give the shoulder guard to the Retiarii.

lol wow lot of posts are i was researching but hey thats what i got man

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
    Sorry I was out. Man, that challenge was hard but the information was right. Please don't fail me Wikipedia. That's how I checked it. Should be right.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    All of the sources I've found have stated the Retiarii to have some kind of shoulder protection, so I'm pretty sure shoulder guard goes to them. Like I mentioned earlier, the only thing I'm a bit iffy about are the helmets and the leg protection, since I'm pretty sure both the Murmillones and the Hoplomachi were mentioned to have worn helmets, but none specific were mentioned, and I can't find any artwork of either of the helmets mentioned.

The leg protection is entirely due to the fact that so much of the information is either really vague on what kind of protection, or it contradicts the other information I've found.

The wiki linked in this thread mentioned that the Murmillones wore short greaves, but it's the only mention I've found for greaves specifically.

Years
    Dorsal helmet: While I can't find anything particularly telling, the Murmillones are said to have worn a helmet (of the Cassis Crista type, according to wiki) with a stylized fish on the crest. The images I get from that seem pretty dorsal fin-like to me. And the Retiarii don't wear helmets.

I think the Cassis Crista helmet is a type of dorsal helmet.

Sean

Years
    Dorsal is a Murmillones, it resembles a fish. Therefore it goes with them.

I am not sure what the other helmet is though... lmao.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
    Here's the Hoplo helmet.
    You've probably all seen it before, but would we say it resembles a talon?

Last edited:

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Don't know if anyone here found this but here's a page on wikipedia that could help us out with this since I know nothing about gladiators: Roman Gladiator Types w/ Descriptions

They've got some good information on these gladiators that could help, & I checked the Retiarius one, I think we're good on that but the wikipedia description said something about an arm guard and a belt. I don't know if you saw that already or not. & the names are a little different below because it's the singular form, not the plural form. You'll see in the descriptions on wikipedia that the plural form matches the name we were given.

Murmillo: Murmillo Wikipedia Description

Hoplomachus: Hoplomachus Wikipedia Description

Retiarius: Retiarius Wikipedia Description

Hope I helped a bit:)

-Magic Guard

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
    Everything on here looks correct.
    The sickle doesn't belong to any of them so we just need to decide whether the Hoplomachis' helmet is a "talon" or not.

I'd say yes if we're considering the other one a dorsal helmet.

Marsyas

Master of Shuppets
    Years
    i was told by elheroeoscuro that the other team already submitted their answers... so i guess just make sure everything is correct before we submit our answers
    Could always be a trick so we take our time but I believe it.

Sean

Years
    I'd go with yes, resembles bird feathers in the 2nd picture which is the definition it gave me w/ talon helmet.

I've just never heard the term talon helmet, I do know Hoplomachi have a helmet

Back