• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pok?mon Aquila

Years
Pokémon Aquila

gen_6_letter2.png
attachment.php

attachment.php
owtgfa5g_png.htm
jcjdyd8n5
Pokemon Aquila

What is Pokémon Aquila?
This is something I work on with RPG Maker XP using Pokémon Essentials. It's rather new (I started this November) and I am just about to finish the first town ^^

I actually started out in about mid October with ROM-Hacking Firered (since I like Blue, Giovanni and Kanto altogether), but soon realized, that it might be easier to start at 0 rather than changing everything in a set game. So I looked around for a possibility to start anew and found Pokémon Essentials.

Why the name?
It is called "Aquila" because that is the name of the roman standard and something called "the Legion" will be playing a central role in this game. Also think of it as "the rising eagle" (since the standard is an eagle, and is raised in a fight to raise the morale of the troops), which would happen to be your character ;)

What is Pokémon Aquila about?
Nothing special about the character design, I use the well known sprites... They seem good enough to me.

I hope to make an interesting new kind of Pokémon game, where your choices actually matter and influence the story. Also I try and implement some features, that, hopefully, make it more interesting and challenging.

What about the story?
I don't want to talk too much about the plot, because I imagine my game as sort of like Dark Souls, maybe? You start your adventure, unknowingly of what is actually going on and "stumble" upon the plot sooner or later as it unfolds more and more...

But I guess I can tell you a little about the backstory at least :o

In Pokémon Aquila you enter a world, that is scarred by a long lasting fight (you may want to call it a war) between humans and Pokémon, which actually just came to an end a few generations ago. Mankind thought itself safe and disbanded it's (in?)famous army, the "Legion".
Though, recently, attacks by Pokémon have increased again, so the Legion was just reinstated to guard cities and villages. Since they were gone for so long, they need fresh recruits...
Also peace is overshadowed by so-called "Shadows" who steal Pokémon from unsuspecting trainers, especially outside of towns (since the Legion is much more present in towns than outside). No one knows what their goal really is. Some think, they only want to make profit (steal Pokémon and sell them or show them off for money, etc.). The Legion suspects, that they pursue a much bigger objective...
Then there is a newly planned power plant, that causes conflicts: It offers more jobs, may reduce prizes and increase life quality. But at the same time it endangers rare species and may anger Pokémon even more. Some even think, that it is only used to hide something else...
Then there are people who wish to research Pokémon in hope of better understanding them or even befriend them.

You are in the middle of this and choose your own way.
Ø Will you join the newly reinstated Legion and protect the people from attacks by Pokémon as well as fight crime?
Ø Will you join Professor Leonhardt and his research to help mankind understand Pokémon?

Ø Will you uncover the secrets of the mysterious "Shadows" or even join or take them over?
Ø What will you do about the power plant?
Ø Or will you just strive to become the best trainer and challenge the Pokémon League?
Ø Will you try and do everything at once? Is it even possible?

Some characters worth noting:

• Your grandfather
    Well, he is your grandfather. Not too much to say about him for now...
    He may give you either Eevee or Abra as your starter, if you like :)
  • Centurion Marcus
    He is a high-ranking member of the Legion and sets out to recruit new members for their cause. He may look a little shady, but he is trustworthy.
    You may get Sneasel, Houndour, Tyrogue or Larvitar as your starter from Centurion Marcus :)
  • Professor Leonhardt
    A young, but very capable researcher. He helped refine the Poké Balls as well as the storage system and is always thankful for a helping hand in his field studies.
    You may get either Bagon or Beldum as a starter from Professor Leonhardt :)
  • Mysterious guy, blocking your way
    Well, a guy with a Poliwrath is blocking your path and making sure, that you won't stray too far without having even 1 Pokémon.
    You may get a Ditto as a starter from him ^^

Features
· Pokémon from different generations (though no new inventions, no fakemon)
· New region to explore
· Multiple Save Files!
· Choices that actually influence the story
· Choose out of 9 different starters (some of which are very unusual)
· No pesky HM moves to mess up your movesets!
· Instead new items to act like HMs
· Gyms that challenge your brain, patience, determination and skill in battle!
· Different prizes than you might be used to (some items are more expensive, others are cheaper)
· Much higher difficulty and no Pokémon Centers whatsoever (though there will be ways to recover, just not so easy)
· Defeat with consequences (dying Pokémon and Game Over)
· Lockpicking and Pickpocketing for those who don't care all too much about law and it's restrictions
· and possibly even more I don't know yet or I just forgot right now...

Right now, there is only the first town (which is big enough, so it's not that bad). But I hope to finish it soon enough :)
For now, have at least a few Screenshots. I will see to it, that these won't stay the only ones...
Also I might upload the demo this weekend or maybe not before I really am finished with at least the first town. We'll see...

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Videos
Spoiler:

Credits to:
Spoiler:

Download

Edit 02.04.16:
Added a new Demo in hopes of getting some sort of feedback.

Edit 31.01.16:
Added a map of the world, as it is so far. Apparently I suck at puzzles, but at least you get an idea of what the world looks like right now and you see, that the project is still alive ^^

Edit 14.11.15:

First Demo-Version. Although the first town is not quite finished, it is almost. Perhaps some of you can give me feedback, whether you like it so far or not and what bothers you, etc.
I appreciate any kind of constructive criticism :)

Last edited:
Years
Added a picture of the world as it is right now to the screenshot section of the main post. Just to show that there is a little progress ^^
Sorry for the bad quality, apparently I suck at puzzles...
Currently there are 4 cities, one in each of the corners of the island you start on and each town has it's own arena. So there are 4 arenas on this (first) island.
But of course the official Pokémon arenas are not the only points of interest, there are other places to explore as well: The Eldritch Forest in the north, the vast place called "Grimm Plains" and it's ancient temple, the graveyard in Bjotan, the cave in Dreydajoll, etc.
I may provide some more stuff in the near future, though the demo won't get updated very soon, as I want to add more people and events and, most importantly, music as most places are rather quiet right now.
Just thought I might as well present at least a little intermediate status update, since the last was 2 months ago ^^

Years
I know, there is still soooo much to do. But I would really like to get at least some kind of feedback to see how people think about it so far. So I added a new Demo in the original post.
And if nothing else, the first 3 gyms are finished, so there is at least that ;)

Please let me know what you think about it and if you have any suggestions for improvement or neat ideas or anything of the like.

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Years
What area exactly do you mean? The hill, right after the intro with the 3 green houses?
Yes, until you have choosen your first Pokémon, you are unable to leave that area. You can get a Pokémon in each of the houses as well as from the guy blocking the stairs.
Just talk to everyone, then everything should become clear (I hope).

If not or if you don't mean that area, please let me know.

Years
There should be a configuration file (.ini), named "Game". Open it via the editor and you should see the following:

[Game]
Library=RGSS102E.dll
Scripts=Data\Scripts.rxdata
Title=Pokemon Aquila
RTP1=Standard
RTP2=
RTP3=

Delete "Standard", save and you should be fine.
If not, please let me know.

Years
There should be a configuration file (.ini), named "Game". Open it via the editor and you should see the following:

[Game]
Library=RGSS102E.dll
Scripts=Data\Scripts.rxdata
Title=Pokemon Aquila
RTP1=Standard
RTP2=
RTP3=

Delete "Standard", save and you should be fine.
If not, please let me know.

Fine now, thank you.

Edit: If I pick a starter from the Legion does that mean i'm with them for the entire game or is that just me picking a starter pokemon? I'm not trying to join them.

Last edited:
Years
You have two choices:

Either you take a Pokémon and leave the house immediately. In this case you will not join the Legion.
Or, you take the Pokémon and talk to Marcus. In that case you will be joining them.

But I plan on making an event, or possibly several events, in which you could possibly choose to leave / betray them. Though, at the moment, there is no such event. You can only join or not.

Years
Hmm, question... Is there any way to show the pokemons levels or something?

I was thinking of making something similar to the silph scope a little later in the game, which may reveal enemy levels.

However, thinking back to all the other RPG Games I played so far, I can think of only one other RPG that ever shows the enemy level (Pok?mon not included). All the other RPG's never reveal anything like that (at least not those which I played). So I thought it would be an interesting addition not being able to see the enemy level. It also adds some kind of thrill, I think. Not knowing how strong your enemy is until it may be too late.

Don't you like it? :o

this is cool game, but you will make better Tile as Diamond/Pearl or Black/White?

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy it.
I, myself, actually always liked that style. I mean, I also like DPP very much. It would be a lot of work doing all the mapping again :o
I guess you prefer the newer designs over the 3rd gen?

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
I was thinking of making something similar to the silph scope a little later in the game, which may reveal enemy levels.

However, thinking back to all the other RPG Games I played so far, I can think of only one other RPG that ever shows the enemy level (Pok?mon not included). All the other RPG's never reveal anything like that (at least not those which I played). So I thought it would be an interesting addition not being able to see the enemy level. It also adds some kind of thrill, I think. Not knowing how strong your enemy is until it may be too late.

Don't you like it? :o

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy it.
I, myself, actually always liked that style. I mean, I also like DPP very much. It would be a lot of work doing all the mapping again :o
I guess you prefer the newer designs over the 3rd gen?

yes Prefer new tiles :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
I do like it, it's just the first time I played it, I wound up in the Grimm Planes and my pokemon all died because of it...

Back