• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Fifth Gen Features

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In generation five of games, Pokémon Black and Pokémon White, we've had plenty of new features introduced.

One would be rotation battle; this, basically, allowed us to utilize various Pokémon on the field rather than one or two, but only one could attack at a time (depending on which team member we have rotated). Similarly, there's also triple battle. This system is identical to double, but it allows us to use three party members at once. Black and White also have the concept of seasons, which change accordingly to the date and time we have set in our DS.

Of all these features, which would we say we're most fond of, and why so? Which feature in particular do we find ourselves disliking? Why don't we like it? If we were to change anything about this, what would it be, and how would it go?

Years
  • I really liked the concept of seasons. I think that was pretty cool. I liked how the overworld would change to go along with what season it was. (Ex: Snow for Winter.)

I also liked Rotation Battles. It was different, but I enjoyed it. Ironically, I don't like Triple Battles. I feel as if three Pokemon on the field is too much, unless its in a Triple Battle format. Idk, thats just me lol.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I absolutely loved the seasons. It was really fun to see how certain areas would change. I also liked how certain pokemons appearance would change with the season. Now that was pretty cool. xD I also loved the PokeStar Studios. I spent hours participating in those. It was a blast. xD

Join Avenue was by far my favorite. I loved being able to level up the buildings so that they would get better.

Years
  • My favorite has to be the seasons as well. It really made it seem "fresh" in a way whenever the seasons changed such as events you couldn't experience in one season you can experience in another (Ex. In Undella Town you will be able to fight Cynthia once daily only during Spring and Summer).
    However I hated both rotation and triple battles. It seemed like Game Freak had run out of ideas and decided that adding another team member was the best choice for BW to seem new. To change this I would just remove both of them altogether. I don't think anyone really cared about it anyways.

Years
  • ^ Except me, I liked Triple Battles and Rotation Battles and felt they added a fun style to battle with. It would've made the Battle Institute and Battle Subway more entertaining if they had included those two modes, I think.

But they weren't my favorite thing about the games, there really are so many I could mention. Between Join Avenue in B2W2, the Black Tower/White Treehollow, and so many other fun areas, I think i'd be here all day if I mentioned everything I liked. And BW also had a good concept with exclusively new Pokémon. I already mentioned everything I could in one of the threads here, so go there if you want what I like. :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Auto-repel. That is all.

Oh and I guess the White Treehollow dungeon.

Years
  • Auto-Repel and Seasons. One of the best features a Pokémon game could have.
    Seasons were one of the features that made the Fifth Generation exceptional and great. The only thing that brought the aforementioned generation down, was the Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Rotation battles, auto repel, the weather condition change in battle, and tms not breaking.

I love Rotation battles. I love having to guess what my opponent will change their Pokemon to so that's a lot of fun. Auto repel is great for obvious reasons. I felt like the wild encounter rate was higher in b/w than in previous games so I'm very glad it was implemented in that particular generation. No longer having to read the text "it is still raining" every few lines saved my sanity. Lastly before when tms were only usable once I had to crack down on my team and make crucial decisions on who would learn what. NEVERMORE

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • As a huge fan of double battles, I'm definitely a fan of triple battles. Don't really care for Rotation though, but it's not the worst. That goes to hordes. :P Anyway, I also really appreciate the addition of TMs not breaking. That's a godsend. Having to trade TMs over from game to game, carefully plan when using them, having to buy more of the same TM...it got really old.

Obligatory mention of how Petilil is the greatest gen V feature.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    There's so much to love about generation five. Seasons revive my love for the game after a long break - the new look is so refreshing, and the Pokémon based upon seasons also add a nice little something to the game. I feel like they could have done more with it, though. The seasonal events just weren't numerous enough, or simply one-offs, so it doesn't really feel that they made the best of it.
    Auto-repel may just be the biggest convenience in the whole series, and I always find myself missing it desperately whenever I play the older games now.

I never particularly liked rotation battles, although I adored the triple format - rotation felt more like a guessing game than anything with any strategic value. Whilst one could easily play against another person, going up against the computer was basically just rock, paper, scissors.
    As much as I loved having a permanent statement on the battle's weather on the lower screen, I really missed the little animations between turns - I found it far to easy to forget what weather conditions were present and do something obscenely stupid because of it. The system was half there, I just needed a little reminder every now and then.

With BW I thought I was going to hate it - I disliked the concept of playing through the game with only the new species. What actually happened is that I grew attached to the little things, and their typings became much clearer to me much quicker than the new introductions in previous generations. As much as I initially hated the new species, I actually found myself getting rather attached to the little things and actually found it difficult to drop most of them. Seriously, making them the only options mad my choices quickly turn from hatred into love.

Hydreigon is a feature, and it is the best.

Years
  • I loved so much of the new features we got in this game, especially the seasons which gave the game a more realistic feel such as having some events only happen in a certain season. Rotation and Triple battles were also fun since it made you think more into your strategy and it can be fun not knowing what to expect.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Seasons intrigues me because you can access hidden areas that are blocked until you reach certain season and skating on lake during winter is fun.

Rotation battle is interesting because you won't know why opponent is switching most of the time and it makes more battle tactical than a speed run.

Also Auto-repel pretty handy in case when I'm lazy to go to the bag and select repels, the auto-repel do the trick nicely.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I enjoyed quite a lot of the features that came packaged in BW! The whole seasons mechanic was awesome and gave the game a fresh feel. I for one always loved Rotation Battles, their highly unpredictable nature make for a tonne of fun! The feature of their being purely new Pokémon was freaking awesome too; I didn't enjoy it at first but maaaaan if that were now I'd be catching 'em all.

Years
  • The auto-repel feature was convenient, I liked the idea of the seasons being able to change a Pokémon's design ( i.e Sawsbuck and Deerling), but I guess rotation battles are a bit tedious and unnecessary in my opinion at least.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Rotation Battle, Triple Battle, Season, Wonder Launcher, Funfest Missions, Entralink Missions and the permanent inherit of Nature through Everstone, Join Avenue, World Tournament.. Hmm I love them all. :)

Sirfetch’d

For me the best feature was the Phenomena. Those little rustling grass spots, the rippling water, the dust clouds, etc! It was so cool walking over them knowing that the Pokemon would be rather rare. It was also such a good way to train with the Audinos.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I have many features in BW that I liked.

One of the features that I like the most is unlimited TMs, because I can teach my Pokémon any move without being worry about it breaking after one use. I liked Seasons as well because it makes Unova feel natural in some way, and it can also change the way Deerling lines looks which is pretty good. Among them all, I also like Critical Capture, which makes capturing Pokémon a bit easier, not to mention that my first Critical Capture makes me able to catch Victini in Liberty Garden.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Seasons provide a refreshing look on routes I visited during a different season. Animated sprites give life to a battle. I'm appreciative of the sprite-look because I'm not a huge fan of the 3D models in XY/ORAS.

I also like the introduction of hidden abilities and the enhancement with breeding (Everstone). Also, the ability to trade from your boxes is a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Years
  • For me the best feature was the Phenomena. Those little rustling grass spots, the rippling water, the dust clouds, etc! It was so cool walking over them knowing that the Pokemon would be rather rare. It was also such a good way to train with the Audinos.

I really loved that feature, all you did was just running around and then encountering an item or a special wild Pokemon. I abused it a lot for Audino training and collecting coloured shards to use with the Move Tutors.

Back