• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Thnx for ur reply KitsuneKouta

BTW after I make it in the RMXP database first
    how do I have to import that animation to the animation editor?
    and my problem is that I cannot export the animation editor-made move properly
    plz help me
    To use the animation you created in the animation editor, open the animation editor and click "List of Animations." This will show a list of every animation in your RMXP project. Then simply click the one you want to edit. When you edit it and save, it will save it in your project, not as a separate file. The game will search for animations with appropriate names automatically (i.e. Move:TACKLE, Common:Shiny, etc.), so you don't have to do anything else after you make them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    1. Where I can get the sprites, battle TILESS funds for a game that I want to create.
    2 As I can edit the sprites in my game?
    - How you can edit the introduction?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    1. Where I can get the sprites, battle TILESS funds for a game that I want to create.
    2 As I can edit the sprites in my game?
    - How you can edit the introduction?
    For sprites, look up The Spriters Resource. For tiles, use Google. For funds, good luck because I doubt anyone is going to pay you for anything. Besides, these are fan games, not for profit, and I don't see why you need money to do a project anyways. You just do it. For editing sprites, use Microsoft Paint, or other paint programs (it's not very easy, especially when you first begin). For the last question, I'm doubting that you've done much of anything with RMXP. Tutorials are very nice. Anyways, there is a map called Intro when you first get the kit, and in the top left corner of that map is an event. Simply modify the event to do whatever you want.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • For those of you (who like me don't check Essentials website) daily...a new version 4/12 was released. However, there are some bugs in it. Just for future reference I have posted my log with it. The second is a really easy fix and has nothing to do with my game, the first - I think is a new feature unless I really don't pay attention.

EDIT: @ Maruno: I hate myself for not knowing Ruby/RGSS. I just messed up my game. Oh well, that's what backups are for. (Even if they were made 5 minutes ago...)

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    EDIT: @ Maruno: I hate myself for not knowing Ruby/RGSS. I just messed up my game. Oh well, that's what backups are for. (Even if they were made 5 minutes ago...)
    At least you're sensible enough to make backups. As well as backing up all my files every so often, I'm also in the habit of leaving in the original code (quoting it out where necessary) and noting which lines I've added. In theory, I can remove everything I've added and be left with an original copy of the Essentials I downloaded. It also means if I do something wrong, I can easily take out whatever I've done that caused the problem.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • At least you're sensible enough to make backups. As well as backing up all my files every so often, I'm also in the habit of leaving in the original code (quoting it out where necessary) and noting which lines I've added. In theory, I can remove everything I've added and be left with an original copy of the Essentials I downloaded. It also means if I do something wrong, I can easily take out whatever I've done that caused the problem.

Lol, unfortunately for me, all I've got is this jumbled up, modified monstrosity that I've been editing for literally years. It's almost unrecognizable to the original. Wish I was as careful back then.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Could someone make me some titlesets from Kanto, for a PC FireRed/LeafGreen game?

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • Meh, thanks for the tips anyway.

I tried, and I guess I'm going to look into some RGSS and try and learn how to get the desired effect. With my lack of knowledge, I tried something stupid in the formats area like trname= RED. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    Hallo

how you can do that when an event ends another begins

for example

you get to the gym and says that the door is closed ... Your siges
    Later in the game find the leader on a path and opens the door
    to enter, as does this haze?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Hallo

how you can do that when an event ends another begins

for example

you get to the gym and says that the door is closed ... Your siges
    Later in the game find the leader on a path and opens the door
    to enter, as does this haze?
    Something like this is done with switches. For instance: you talk to this leader on some path, and he give some random dialogue, then a switch is turned on. Then on the gym door, there are two ways to do it. One: make the door event have some text on the first event page saying something like "It's locked." Then, on the second page make the door opening event, with the requirement of the switch being on (it's on the left side, above where you select the graphic). Two: Make a conditional branch that first checks if the switch is on, and if true will perform the door action. Then the else condition would would have the text "It's locked." The second is probably easier to do, but I think it's a matter of personal preference. Also, as a side note, your questions are somewhat difficult to understand. There appears to be some typos which are confusing, so please proofread before posting, so it will be easier to answer your questions.

@SpawnHyuuga: I've found that learning RGSS is easiest by messing with the existing scripts in the starter kit. It's a learning by exposure kind of thing, and by looking for bits of code that are similar to what you're trying to do, you can often find something that can be adapted to meet your needs. (Of course, it also helps to understand basic scripting elements such as classes, objects, methods, variables, operators, different loops, etc.).

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I do not understand
    I could express drawings
    I do not understand as haze
    I'll show you some screens to clarify.
    The first screen shows the event talking to the gym leader or whoever. Notice the red line indicating the switch that turned on.
    The second screen shows the door, with the first line being a conditional branch checking for the switch mentioned in the first screen.
    The third screen just shows the else, which is what happens if the switch isn't on when interacting with the door.
    Please look for some tutorials, as these are some of the most basic elements of game design. Also, what is haze?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2014
    so no one knows how to fix my issue from earlier?:

im totally lost as to whats this mean/how do i fix it. i can see a few of the lines its talking about but i have no idea what to do to fix em. im a noob at scripts, if you cant tell already haha

Exception: NoMethodError

Game_Player:96:in `refresh'

PokemonLoad:363:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

PokemonLoad:336:in `loop'

PokemonLoad:463:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

DebugIntro:6:in `main'

Main:38:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main:16 :in `mainFunction'

Main:16 :in `pbCriticalCode'

Main:16 :in `mainFunction'

Main:49

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    so no one knows how to fix my issue from earlier?:
    It would help if you specified when the error occurs. Is it when you load the game? Or when you trigger a particular event? Also, some versions of the starter kit had bugs and wouldn't work (they've probably been fixed by now, but you may have downloaded the kit at a bad time). Try downloading the latest kit, it will probably fix it.

@Konekodemon: By warp zones, do you mean simply teleporting the player to a different map? To do that, use the Transfer Player command, and specify the map to warp to.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I meant the things like where you walk though a door, go down/up stairs etc.
    All teleports, doors, stairs, etc., use the same command. So Transfer Player is what you'll need, and it will even allow you to transfer within the same map if you wanted. The kit also has a good door example that you can copy and past for all of your doors (it animates the door fairly well), changing the graphics where desired.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Hello
    Do you know why the game lags when i only mapped a decent-sized map and have 20 events or some in my maps? Is this a limitation of the engine? How can I fix this?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Hello
    Do you know why the game lags when i only mapped a decent-sized map and have 20 events or some in my maps? Is this a limitation of the engine? How can I fix this?
    Are the events all in close proximity? Also, are they light events? In most cases, only one event is processed at a time, except with parallel processes that are usually sparse anyways. The light events, however, all function simultaneously to each other and other events being processed, so too many of them can cause severe lag.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back