• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    The error seems to come from an un-updated section of code that's throwing an unintialized constant error. I found it last night it seems like an easy enough fix. However, I am not currently at my home computer (at school right now). So, I'll find a fix when I get home. Maybe somebody else will figure it out in the mean time.
    I have the April 3rd not the April 13th version of Essentials so I hope there aren't any big changes between the two.
    The error seems to orginate form the section PokemonDebug in the definition pbDebugMenu under the part of an "else if" statement that says:
    Code:
     elsif cmd=="fillboxes"
    After you find that. A couple lines down should be:
    Code:
    $PokemonStorage[(i-1)/PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON,(i-1)%PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON]=pkmn
    However, PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON is no longer a valid constant. Looking at other places that the constant was replaced yielded this line of code:
    Code:
    $PokemonStorage[(i-1)/$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox),(i-1)%$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox)]=pkmn
    This seemed to make fillboxes work for me. However, I'm not that experienced at ruby coding would someone see if this is a possible fix.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    hello again

I raised new doubts

1-How to change the form of evolution.
    2-I of the gym leaders still no single entity
    3 - Do any good tutorial?
    4-How to prevent the passage of some sites if you have no medals.
    5-me section you can explain the attacks.

hello again

I raised new doubts

Last edited:

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • I have the April 3rd not the April 13th version of Essentials so I hope there aren't any big changes between the two.
    The error seems to orginate form the section PokemonDebug in the definition pbDebugMenu under the part of an "else if" statement that says:
    Code:
     elsif cmd=="fillboxes"
    After you find that. A couple lines down should be:
    Code:
    $PokemonStorage[(i-1)/PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON,(i-1)%PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON]=pkmn
    However, PokemonBox::MAXPOKEMON is no longer a valid constant. Looking at other places that the constant was replaced yielded this line of code:
    Code:
    $PokemonStorage[(i-1)/$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox),(i-1)%$PokemonStorage.maxPokemon($PokemonStorage.currentBox)]=pkmn
    This seemed to make fillboxes work for me. However, I'm not that experienced at ruby coding would someone see if this is a possible fix.

It works fine now, however; on MultipleForms you have to comment out Shellos and Gastrodon. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't identified any maps for the two Pokémon to evolve at or FillBoxes can't process the getting of the game map. It's probably the first one though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Maybe I'm mistaken, however you can have more than one light at a time. If there's more than one at a time, that seems pretty simultaneous to me.

Ok so... since there are several sprites displayed when I play, it's multitasking too? I suggest you at least check how the scripts work before you answer other people's questions based solely on your own opinion, because this really isn't helping anyone.

Edit : I mean, you are aware that the pokemon essential kit does NOT do multi-processing or multi-threading, right? at least not for the sprite displays

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Ok so... since there are several sprites displayed when I play, it's multitasking too? I suggest you at least check how the scripts work before you answer other people's questions based solely on your own opinion, because this really isn't helping anyone.

Edit : I mean, you are aware that the pokemon essential kit does NOT do multi-processing or multi-threading, right? at least not for the sprite displays
    I won't argue, since you're probably right. Regardless, I would still like you to explain why a large number of events causes lag, and how parallel processes work (I'm assuming it works like I said in my post, the processor switches back and forth between processes so fast you don't notice it, NOT multi-processing).

Getting back on topic, how would you force the menu to close when using FLY? I tried a few things like putting the menu close command after FLY was executed, but it didn't change anything.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • Okay, quick question. How do you force a save, like after you defeat the elite four. I know you can force it to open, but that doesn't force you to exit right back out of it.
    Also, there's a little introductory portion in the beginning of my game. I can open the menu for the player, but, likewise, how can I make the player open a certain part of their menu, like the bag screen?

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I won't argue, since you're probably right. Regardless, I would still like you to explain why a large number of events causes lag, and how parallel processes work (I'm assuming it works like I said in my post, the processor switches back and forth between processes so fast you don't notice it, NOT multi-processing).

Getting back on topic, how would you force the menu to close when using FLY? I tried a few things like putting the menu close command after FLY was executed, but it didn't change anything.

Parallel Processing events don't use new threads or anything complex like that. They simply spawn new event objects, which are updated when the map updates (Autorun events create a single event object, and until the event is over, the map doesn't update).
    Anyway, a large number of events lags because each one has to be updated every frame. Essentials, I assume, adds more processing to each event than in RMXP's default scripts (e.g. trainer events need to check whether they can see the player, light events need to cast shadows etc). RGSS is an interpreted language, which means each line of code that is to be executed needs to be converted into machine code (i.e. raw CPU instructions) on the fly. If you're looping through loads of events, you're going to need to process thousands of lines. This is unavoidable if you're using RGSS and Essentials.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Parallel Processing events don't use new threads or anything complex like that. They simply spawn new event objects, which are updated when the map updates (Autorun events create a single event object, and until the event is over, the map doesn't update).
    Anyway, a large number of events lags because each one has to be updated every frame. Essentials, I assume, adds more processing to each event than in RMXP's default scripts (e.g. trainer events need to check whether they can see the player, light events need to cast shadows etc). RGSS is an interpreted language, which means each line of code that is to be executed needs to be converted into machine code (i.e. raw CPU instructions) on the fly. If you're looping through loads of events, you're going to need to process thousands of lines. This is unavoidable if you're using RGSS and Essentials.
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

@Colbex: In an event, make a script command that says pbSave. It's a quiet save, so there's no messages or indications, it simply saves where you are. To force the bag to open, use this in a script command:
    item=0
    scene=PokemonBag_Scene.new
    screen=PokemonBagScreen.new(
    scene,$PokemonBag)
    pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
    item=screen.pbStartScreen
    }

Make sure it looks just like that, since having the parenthesis in the wrong place messes it up.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2023
    It works fine now, however; on MultipleForms you have to comment out Shellos and Gastrodon. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't identified any maps for the two Pokémon to evolve at or FillBoxes can't process the getting of the game map. It's probably the first one though.
    under Shellos and Gastrodon in MultipleForms you'll see map_ID .
    Change these to map_id . Those were incorrectly capatalized.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    is it possible to animate tiles to make them appear 3-D for example if I were to move to one part of the screen the buliding would i guess you could say turn with me so that it would seem like the building has all four sides like in platinum diamon and peral?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    is it possible to animate tiles to make them appear 3-D for example if I were to move to one part of the screen the buliding would i guess you could say turn with me so that it would seem like the building has all four sides like in platinum diamon and peral?
    If it is possible, it's not worth trying. In 3d games every side exists, sort of like a 3d model. In 2d games, only the face exists. So, if the object "turns with you" in a 2d game, what side is there to display? It wouldn't exist.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2015
    well if that the case is there any other program out there that can make bulidings like that and support scripting?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    well if that the case is there any other program out there that can make bulidings like that and support scripting?
    There is, I just don't know them off hand. Also, RMXP is fairly unique in that it is relatively easy to use, since a lot of it can be done through the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Most other game making software requires extensive scripting, and you'd probably have to write your own engine too. You're probably better off dropping that feature, and continuing with RMXP.

Spinarak

String Spit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2010
    Hm, well I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I did a quick search and I didn't seem to find any posts concerning my problem.

So, I need to know how to make a picture change when a button is pressed. Basically, I *think* I know how to set it up, but it doesn't work, which means I'm wrong. XD

Basically, here is my code:
    Code:
    @sprite=IconSprite.new(0, 320)
    @sprite.setBitmap(#the sprite)
    @sprite.z  = 99999999
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      @sprite.setBitmap(#the sprite 2)
      break
    end

Again, I'm not even sure if that's right. Help would be appreciated. =D

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Hm, well I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I did a quick search and I didn't seem to find any posts concerning my problem.

So, I need to know how to make a picture change when a button is pressed. Basically, I *think* I know how to set it up, but it doesn't work, which means I'm wrong. XD

Basically, here is my code:
    Code:
    @sprite=IconSprite.new(0, 320)
    @sprite.setBitmap(#the sprite)
    @sprite.z  = 99999999
    if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      @sprite.setBitmap(#the sprite 2)
      break
    end

Again, I'm not even sure if that's right. Help would be appreciated. =D

By no means am I an expert, but I believe you have to actually update the input and graphics for this script to work. Take a look at the Pokegear script to see what I mean. At the moment, it's only checking for input once.

Last edited:

Spinarak

String Spit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2010
    I'm not quite understanding here. So do I just add this in?
    Code:
    Graphics.update
    Input.update

It's not too clear to me, but it seems like that's it- isn't it?

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    hello again

I raised new doubts

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • hello again

I raised new doubts

oooookay well, as usual I don't understand most of what you've posted, but number 4 should be pretty easy to implement. in the event that moves the player, throw in a conditional branch that checks for a switch called, for example, "medal". if it's false, it displays something like "I can't go in here without a medal!" and has a move route that turns the player around and walks a step or two away from the move event. if it's true, you're able to move into the next area. the switch would be turned on in the events that give you medals.

if you need different amounts of medals for different areas, however, you'd be better off with making the "medal" switch into a variable, adding 1 to that each time you get a medal, and making it so that you need that variable to equal at least "x" to be able to move to each area.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    Madre mia que lio, me lo podria explicar con imagenes porfavor

es que me hago un lio.

¿Como cambio la forma de evolucion de un pokemon?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back