• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Spam Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Okay my problem with "all in one" forums, and "spam" forums is that they do direct attention away from other sections, and they do tend to lower the overall quality of posting on the forum as a whole. I'm very aware that people are shaking their heads at that statement already, so let me explain.

When you create a forum in which has loose rules and allows members to post whatever kind of content they wish provided that it fits in with the global rules, it diverts attention away from elsewhere. The reason for this is because other sections are structured in such a way that it requires more effort to post within them. For example, if you were to have a "spam" forum, an artist could post their one picture there and say "what do you think of my drawing?", instead of actually taking the time to find the correct place to post singular artworks in A&D. They would also avoid the necessity to post a number of pieces to create a thread such as you need to do in the A&D section. A similar point can be made about The Round Table, it is a section whereby more serious discussion on topics of a more "mature" nature are to be held. However it is much easier to bring up those topics in The Treehouse where pretty much "anything goes" because you don't need to be prepared to defend your opinion to the same degree was you would in The Round Table. There's an overlap.

Now this overlap can happen for any section, when you have a catch-all section and/or a spam forum you end up just filtering activity from elsewhere into it because it's more lenient and lesser structured. Such leniency should be promoted in terms of how staff relate to off-topic posts, and general rule breaking as opposed to how a forum is structured as it leads to messy distribution of topics.

I am in no way saying The Treehouse is "all bad", I also agree it's not a spam forum as that is not what should be promoted here. However due to the relaxed nature of the forum and the mass of activity that is involved in it, it actually brings down posting quality in other sections. It goes back to what I said before, when we had Other Voting Polls the section was mostly clear on the kind of content you were to include. If it was a question about every day life and morality, go ahead and post it in OVP. If it was a discussion on an on-going event, news article, travesty, or world issue then go ahead and post it in Other Chat. Now we have this ambiguity between the two sections whereby a lot of what can be posted in The Roundhouse can too be posted in The Treehouse, but it's much easier to post in the latter because everything is more laid back and shitposting is more rampant. In itself, that's a problem between The Treehouse and The Round Table, but overall it captures my problem with catch-all forums. They overlap and step over other forums too much. I've seen dozens of threads that belong in Culture & Media posted in that section, 10 times as many threads that should have went into The Round Table, a smattering of topics that should have been in Computers & Technology, and so on.

My recommendation isn't to remove a catch-all forum, but if you're going to make one make sure it catches the things that don't go elsewhere. Don't allow it to become a basket that people can throw any kind of topic into. So in my opinion The Treehouse needs a slight re-purposing to stop the influx of threads that have a better place to be in.

As for a "spam forum", you might as well just remove all the other sections and throw the rulebook out the window if you think it's a good idea to have a spam pit on a large, structured forum environment. What is good for activity is not always good for your brand.

Not happening.
    You've been staff here for nearly a decade, you're capable of a better response than that.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    There are forums that exist that are basically 24/7 shitposting already, and maybe those places, or social media sites should stay the outlet for that sorta thing. Doesn't seem to really be what PC is about. Even if PC had a single spam thread, IMO it would be fun for exactly one hour and forty-six minutes, and then would turn into people fighting.

Years
  • it's beyond me why anyone would want a forum to make fun of people and call them out publicly

This.

I would not understand why people would want such a place to exist. If they want to do general chit-chat and fun games, we have The Treehouse and The Playground/Pokemon Trivia to cover that.

I feel like making a so-called "spam" section could take away a lot of Treehouse activity.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • To be honest, I'm totally FOR a spamming forum.

I mean, pretty much as long a we follow the rules and such, I don't think it's gonna be that bad. Just my thoughts.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    If you need a section that is laid back and less restricted, there's always the The Treehouse.

And according to the global rules:
    No trolling. (4 pts / 6 mths)
    Inflammatory or irrelevant messages with the sole intent of provoking other users or inciting controversy is considered "trolling". We consider trolling to be unacceptable as it undermines the friendly environment that we aim for. At the discretion of the staff, any posts that we believe to be attempts at trolling will be removed and may be infracted accordingly.

Hence it's possible to have that troll place as you wanted. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    No, no and no. If we have a SPAM section other than the peoples feelings would get hurt it would eventually spill out to other sections. People will think well hell I can do it here I can do it there, there and there too. They will slowly forget that there are rules for other sections and just SPAM.

You want to SPAM go play on tumblr.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Heavens, no. That'd be removing the forums of that calming atmosphere it's well known for. If you want laid back and relaxed, Treehouse exists. As for spam...

...Look at /b/. It'd become that, essentially.

Years
  • I've been to another forum in the past and they had their own spampit and while the members all went crazy it did get a bit dramatic and as a result became no more. I could imagine that if we were to have something like it, it would likely have to be heavily moderated because things can and will go wrong.

It just won't work plus as Sun mentioned, trolling is heavily discouraged so don't risk it.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • Spam forum is well, Useless.
    There isn't a point to it at all.
    Nothing constructive, interesting, or worth reading.

Personally, I'd say no.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • What? This is still being discussed?

Let me outline something for those of you who joined post 2006:

Way back when, a literal decade ago when PC was still a young community, there existed a forum on PC known as the Thunderdome. Think Roundtable + Other Chat + Treehouse + Other Voting Polls + Playground with a 13+ twist. No rules besides the Global Rules before Trolling was a banned thing.

It was a huge disaster, even to the administration at the time. The section was quickly shuttered after a year or so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back