• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chronic illness

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Do any of you have a chronic illness or know someone close to you that does? How do you find ways to cope with it? Recently I've discovered from a doctor that I may be developing a chronic illness but they're not sure for certain yet. I'm going to see them again on Monday so hopefully more will be cleared up. I won't disclose what illness it is as it's not something I'm up for sharing here but I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who's been through something similar.

Hopefully in a while I can say that I was freaking out over nothing and managed to get effective treatment but for now I'm really scared because of how it could change my life. Apparently it's hard to manage the symptoms and many people take their own life because of the toll it takes on their body and how it affects their daily life. I'm trying to remain optimistic but it's hard.

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    Technically speaking, I do have a chronic illness called hypertension (high blood pressure). Though serious if not taken care of, I honestly don't see it that way since it doesn't really hinder me that much.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
    Years
  • I mean my mom has had a pretty rare chronic illness for as long as I can remember, and it's definitely not easy, and it definitely takes a toll on everyone around you and yourself, but she is the strongest person I know, and I love her all the more for it. If you are diagnosed, know that it is not the end of your life and it does not define who you are. Depending upon what you have, it should not stop you achieving whatever you want in your life. There are many, many people that learn to live with chronic illness, and having one does not make you any less of a person. It should not consume your life.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I have a lot of things wrong with me then. I don't consider my autism an issue, but anxiety has been kicking my ass since I graduated high school. Maybe I've had it longer than that. Anxiety is often a real problem for me because it prevents me from doing most things I should do. Not only that, but I worry constantly about nothing at times. I think I also might have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I'm going to discuss it with my doctor before saying that I do.

As far as coping with it, I usually just let it run it's course. If it gets too hard for me to handle, I take medication to sort of settle it some. I'll often distract myself with other things such as writing or video games or listening to music as well. I even try to write down my thoughts since that does give me some relief to my anxiety. It also helps my doctor to identify what's really going in my life.

Years
  • Yup! I have Diverticulosis, so does my mom (bowel problems run in the family), my dad has arthritis, my step father has diabetes, asthma, and fibromyalgia. I just have to eat a high fibre diet, it's painful to see my step dad have to struggle with everything he has.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • Does irritiable bowel syndrome count as a chronic illness? Count me in if so. It means I will almost invariably get at least two separate periods of abdominal pain a day.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Mental Disorders

Be honest. Do you currently suffer from even mild mental disorders? Have you?

I think I have OCD. I usually want to make sure my left foot walks farther than my right foot, and I also have the urge to take eight steps to walk up a flight of ten stairs.

I may have a few other disorders, but it's probably just my sometimes panicked, sometimes depressed personality.

XSE

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    Ghost, I don't really think quirks like OCD really should be counted as a mental disorder.

For example, I used to have, and probably still do, with the way I can be haha, a mental "disorder" called ADHD. Let me tell you, that quirk wasn't the "disorder", the "medicine" used to treat it was. In reality, being hyper just meant I was a lot of fun, and albeit when I was a bit young made me a bit mischievous :). But now, it's a very good trait to have. Now I can keep my mind up onto a task for a long period of time if I am interested in it.

I can't even really consider your OCD to be a real disorder. It's not like you "have" to do it, it's just a strong inclination to do it. Real OCD would be closing and opening a door 7 times, EVEN if there is a fire in the room. That's a disorder, albeit again, not serious enough to go to a doctor or something.

You are a really good guy buddy, I don't get the impression that you are depressed, but then again, hiding behind a mask is easy. If you ever wanna talk, PM me.

Thanks for reading!

Lucid

OCD isn't a quirk, it can be quite debilitating and in severe cases, make simple tasks and life pretty difficult. Like many disorders it has a wide spectrum, and can manifest in a number of different symptoms, not just fixations with performing tasks in patterns, or numbers.

There's no such thing as a panicked or depressed personality, but people do suffer from anxiety and depression. If you feel that way, then it's valid, there's nothing to feel stupid about. Talk to your family, and if you have access talk to a doctor about how you're feeling.

MorganW

That Kid You Don't Like
    Years
  • Me and my 7 year old brother both have autism. I'm not sure if it counts as a mental disorder but I know for sure it does affect me mentally. My brother has a severe case of it to the point where he can barely speak where I have it to a lesser extent and it really just changes my way of thinking which can sometimes ruin my relationships but for the most part I can control it and everything is fine.

With my brother having it so badly it changes me and my family's life. My parents have to look after him a lot and having 4 children to look after doesn't help even though I try to cause minimal trouble.

This isn't a disorder but while we're on the subject of things "wrong" with people I'd like to mention that I have a smaller left ear. I'm not just talking an inch smaller, it literally has parts of a normal ear gone. This makes my ear come out as a very weird shape and me being very sensitive (Which I would also say is due to my Autism) I become very emotional if someone uses it as an insult.

With my brother being so badly affected by his autism he also makes some weird noises (And no they are nothing like baby noises) and has some awkward habits, for example if you ask him for a high five he makes sure that his hand is facing the same way so if you go for a low five then he tries to turn his hand around.

Like the idea of the thread btw. I know a lot of people wouldn't normally like to talk about stuff like this as most see this as quite a personal subject but I don't mind talking to people about it this because it is a good way to describe yourself and your life as long as the other people are grown up enough to take you dead seriously.

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I don't think it counts as a chronic illness, but it does have some chronic effects. I had Nasopharyngeal cancer a few years back. Although the cancer itself didn't really leave any major chronic issues, the treatment left me with Hypothyroidism (and all the mental issues that come from those deficiencies), some very minor hearing loss, and killed off some of my saliva glands (I can't eat without water or some other beverage). So I have that going for me.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • I've had asthma since birth and have to take my inhaler daily. I haven't had any asthma attacks since I changed meds about half a year ago so that's good.

Aside from that I have an autism spectrum disorder. But I stopped caring about that years ago. People have to take me the way I am and if they don't that's too bad for them. It did give a lot of difficulties during school. And was really noticable as a kid since I was behind on nearly every physical and social aspect.

Sirfetch’d

I have a minor heart condition that limits my physical activities or anything that might increase my heart rate. I can't have energy drinks or any type of rash stimulant(caffeine is ok in small amounts). It's quite hard dealing with the limitations but overall nothing is too serious.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Like some, I do have autism. I have to admit... that it does make social communication a huge challenge. I mean, I can communicate on a basic social standpoint. However, I'm usually the type who has to be engaged to socialize. I wait for people to come to me first before I go to them. In a way, I've learned to properly cope with it because I just accept it as is. There's a lot I've learned in life because of having autism. It's helped me accept others for who they are because I also happen to be different just as they are. Like I said in my previous post, anxiety happens to be my greatest challenge ever imagined. I also have ADHD, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia and a learning disability (Not otherwise specified). The learning disability often affects how I process information. For example, I have difficulties in reading written text. It varies, but it's usually more affected when I'm reading books or researching online for my stories. I'm a visual learner, and I often have to learn by experimentation rather than reading something. One way I cope with the learning disability is by watching youtube videos instead. It also depends on how interested I am on the topic I'm researching, which is usually mental health or other disability-related as well.

Though, I don't know if the rest of my conditions would be considered as a chronic illness tbh.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I have depression (moderate/severe) and I also have mild/moderate generalized anxiety/social anxiety. I was diagnosed by both by psychiatrist and my therapist and I currently take medicine for it. I believe that's the only things I suffer from. My mom thinks I have aspergers (i'm not sure if people still call it that) but I don't think I have it. *shrug* Depression and anxiety are a hassle, especially on the bad days but I've been well..self harm clean for a year and I'm managing. When I do have bad days I know the stormy waters will pass and I can get through it. It used to be really bad and severe two years ago, almost a year ago basically i guess but i'm getting through it day by day and trying to get my self esteem and confidence up.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I have a minor heart condition that limits my physical activities or anything that might increase my heart rate. I can't have energy drinks or any type of rash stimulant(caffeine is ok in small amounts). It's quite hard dealing with the limitations but overall nothing is too serious.

Do you have SVT or tachycardia of some sort? I do, and it sounds very similar to this. I really miss doing more intensive exercises and it can be extremely stressful when my heart rate goes fast. I get palpitations almost daily, but I'm on a medication that helps.

I also have IBS which can have the lovely side effects of terrible cramps where I can hardly move and chronic nausea.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I have sinus tachycardia too!! my resting heart rate is over 110 bpm!!

additionally, for years I've been struggling with fatigue, weight loss, anxiety, etc, a ton of other things, and I finally found the cause of it recently. turns out i've had lyme disease (have to do another test tho), hyperthyroidism, and something called epstein barr... didn't really think it was possible but I'm actually okay with all of this because it means I can finally get treated! imagine not being so tired all the time. sounds amazing.

also with all of these tests came the result that i'm actually lactose intolerant and allergic to almonds and pineapples. pineapples!! who is allergic to pineapples?!!??

Back