• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen ....needs moar pokes

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So y'all know that X&Y introduced 69-72 new Pokemon (depending on which of the legendaries you're including), the smallest amount introduced in any generation so far. Not counting megas though since those are new forms of pre-existing Pokemon.

But let's say for a sec that Game Freak is gonna introduce a batch of new Pokemon in whatever Kalos game comes next for some reason. And you get to make one or a few. What kind of Pokemon would you add to the Kalos region? Appearance/typing/stats/abilities/moves/etc and stuff?

Makattack202

guy with the torterra pfp
    Years
  • I would be fine with literally anything.

Okay, maybe not anything. I can't say I want to see another Trubbish... But you get the point. As long as it is a creative and unique design and Pokemon, I would be all for it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I actually liked what they did here in Kalos games, and introduce less Pokémon. Of course, some might feel that quantity should not matter when it comes to them, as they're based off animals and whatnot (in real life, there are countless amount of animals), but still--to me, it was nice to see them take things slower in this regard.

If I were given a chance to create some Pokémon of my own and introduce it X and Y's third version, I'd enjoy putting together an evolution to Skarmory. Skarmory is a brilliant-looking Pokémon, and could perform quite well on its own when it comes to battling, due to these reasons, it never seemed to have been too underrated. If it were to evolve, though, I believe its popularity would rise even more high, which could be seen as more of a positive thing by many.

As far as stats and ability go, perhaps they might be able to boost its defenses a little, as well as Attack. Ability--I'm not sure, unfortunately, but I'd personally be happy with anything so long as it does benefit Skarmory, one way or another.

Years
  • The small amount of new Pokemon released kind of made me dislike Kalos a little bit, and I would be elated if they introduced some new Pokemon in a remake/sequel. Not sure exactly which kinds, but I hope that ends up happening. Take note, Game Freak.

pkmin3033

Badgers. Why the hell don't we have a badger Pokemon yet?! I'd quite like to see something inspired by an adder or a grass snake, as well...yes, I know we have the Snivy evolution line, but they were more grass than snake. I want something more snake than grass, if that makes sense. xD

A Red Squirrel/Grey Squirrel Pokemon that didn't look like Pikachu would be nice as well...fire for the former, and steel for the latter. Or a Grey Squirrel with a Red Squirrel as its shiny form. Since Kalos is based on France, some good, old-fashioned European wildlife would be lovely~

Years
  • I'm actually okay with the low number of newly introduced Pokemon, because it at least allowed them to focus on some of the other features of the game. Also, I think the interesting and well-thought designs helped make up for the lack of numbers.

Of course, quality is usually better than quantity as they say.

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
    Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 17, 2023
    I completely agree that there should have been more Pokémon introduced. I feel that there's a certain pattern that needs to be maintained

Each generation has been big in its own way, but more so in how many Pokémon were introduced

Gen I - 150
    Gen II - 100
    Gen III - 135
    Gen IV - 107
    Gen V - 156
    Gen VI - 72

See? There has never been less than 100. And I feel this generation will be no different. Zekrom is right, in that the Megas do not count as new Pokémon. They are just glorified form changes. If my theory is right, and it usually is, they are going to possibly introduce maybe another 70 Pokémon, or so, in the 3rd version, whatever that may be. They might even expand Kalos a bit, as there is a lot of unused land in the northeast corner, and in the far south, according to the current map

As for what Pokémon I might create or introduce, if it were possible? I have many ideas, including more evolution connections so Sylveon doesn't have to be all alone, so to say. Such as prevos for Vulpix, Misdreavus, and Tropius. Ans well as a *proper* female evolution for Deerling (which they really should have introduced along with Sawsbuck) , and an evolution for castform, that is determined by which weather form it's in

As for *new* Pokémon ideas, I have a few really good ones. Most creative being, if they go thee X2/Y2 way, version exclusive "first bird" Pokémon. A blue jay and a cardinal. Ice and Fire type respectively. Or maybe an imp Pokémon of some sort, that could be a Dark/Fairy type

AmericanWonderland

Sassmaster
    Years
  • I really hope they introduce some more Pokemon, as it really didn't feel like enough. As for types, I would really like a true wolf pokemon, as the best we have is Manectric, which is a maned wolf, I believe. I also want more ghost and fairy types, or maybe even a combination of both that could be some sort of evil fairy/demon. Also, we don't need more water types.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    I too want more pokemon however although i use aegislash, the look of this 'pokemon' does not really look like a pokemon should, if you look at the other pokemon they are all creatures of some description and to me a sword and shield doesn't really fit in with the rest of the pokemon. I would however like to see some more defensive pokemon (such as slowbro) as they are a great addition to a team due to their high defense, so yeah more pokemon that look like pokemon and more defensive pokemon would be good.

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    There are wayyyyyyyy too many Pokemon now.

I'd love if they trimmed the fat and made 350 Pokemon available with a special extinction pokedex to receive all the redundant Pokemon through trades with older games if you really want them / for the sake of completion but have them no longer part of the actual game ... There are too many pointless ones, in my opinion. Definitely way too many to limit your team to 6 for as well. A team of 8 or two interchangeable teams of 6 (like aBattle box you carry and switch between t any time outside of battle) would be good.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I completely agree that there should have been more Pokémon introduced. I feel that there's a certain pattern that needs to be maintained

Each generation has been big in its own way, but more so in how many Pokémon were introduced

Gen I - 150
    Gen II - 100
    Gen III - 135
    Gen IV - 107
    Gen V - 156
    Gen VI - 72

See? There has never been less than 100. And I feel this generation will be no different. Zekrom is right, in that the Megas do not count as new Pokémon. They are just glorified form changes. If my theory is right, and it usually is, they are going to possibly introduce maybe another 70 Pokémon, or so, in the 3rd version, whatever that may be. They might even expand Kalos a bit, as there is a lot of unused land in the northeast corner, and in the far south, according to the current map

As for what Pokémon I might create or introduce, if it were possible? I have many ideas, including more evolution connections so Sylveon doesn't have to be all alone, so to say. Such as prevos for Vulpix, Misdreavus, and Tropius. Ans well as a *proper* female evolution for Deerling (which they really should have introduced along with Sawsbuck) , and an evolution for castform, that is determined by which weather form it's in

As for *new* Pokémon ideas, I have a few really good ones. Most creative being, if they go thee X2/Y2 way, version exclusive "first bird" Pokémon. A blue jay and a cardinal. Ice and Fire type respectively. Or maybe an imp Pokémon of some sort, that could be a Dark/Fairy type

Explain why Mega Evolutions don't count as new pokemon, but Pre-evos and new evos do. Because with the advent of breeding, baby pokemon were introduced in gen 2, so if you're not counting Mega Evolutions, by rights you can't count baby pokemon or evolved forms of pokemon as well (so pichu, igglybuff, Cleffa and so on wouldn't count because they are pre evolved forms of already existing pokemon, nor would later forms like Crobat, Slowking, Bllossom and the like count either for the same reason, meaning that the 100 pokemon introduced in gen 2 is actually less. 16 less to be exact, meaning that gen 2 only introduced 84 new pokemon)

Now, getting back to the topic, I personally don't mind because I haven't played the pokemon games since gen 3 where there was only 386 pokemon back then so to me there were 333 new pokemon so gen 6 was just perfect for me, as there were almost double the amount of pokemon since the last time I played. But looking up on old threads it's funny how people complain in gen 5 when there was nothing BUT new pokemon, and in the current gen when they don't bring enough new pokemon they still complain, so basically no matter what Gamefreak does, no one is ever going to be happy! ;-)

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I don't mind the lackluster of new pokemons on XY introduced (megas not counted) as long it have interesting features I won't mind.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Id like more Pokemon but as mentioned above thought out pokemon with good looks, moves and typings that arent a rehash of previous pokemon.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    At first I was disappointed with the few number. Slowly I realized that introducing about 70 monster is not a bad idea at all, it's great for those older Pokémon like Snubull, Volbeat, Smoochum, etc who had only fair amount of screen. While introducing 70 won't let the other new peers overshadow much the 'not-so-popular-new mons' as well.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    There's a ton of Pokemon in Kalos anyway, so I don't feel too disappointed for there only being like 70 new ones. That way they can release more generations of Pokemon, without having to worry to much about running out on Pokemon designs.
    If my theory is right, and it usually is, they are going to possibly introduce maybe another 70 Pokémon, or so, in the 3rd version, whatever that may be. They might even expand Kalos a bit, as there is a lot of unused land in the northeast corner, and in the far south, according to the current map
    If they were to introduce new Pokemon in the middle of a generation, that would mean that they, yet again, break compatibility with older games in the same generation. Doing this could potentially create distrust for future generations, because people now think twice if they want to buy a game that is incompatible with the next one that's released the year afterwards. They just can't allow themselves to do something like this, unless they really want Pokemon to become the new CoD.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    There's a ton of Pokemon in Kalos anyway, so I don't feel too disappointed for there only being like 70 new ones. That way they can release more generations of Pokemon, without having to worry to much about running out on Pokemon designs.

If they were to introduce new Pokemon in the middle of a generation, that would mean that they, yet again, break compatibility with older games in the same generation. Doing this could potentially create distrust for future generations, because people now think twice if they want to buy a game that is incompatible with the next one that's released the year afterwards. They just can't allow themselves to do something like this, unless they really want Pokemon to become the new CoD.

Yeah, you are right. Sadly that distrust is not getting any better. They introduced Rotom's forms, Shaymin forms and Giratina's form on Pt. Later on Gen V extention games, Therian forms of the trio of Unova, Kyurem's forms, Keldeo's Resolute form.

On OrAs a lot of Megas are introduced plus 2 more Primal forms, so far it's the game with most incompatibilty. 3 new moves like Dragon Ascent, Orogin Pulse and Precipice Blade are introduced too. That marks completely new moves getting introduced during a generation.

I can't see that getting any better, tbh. As the incompatibility is just increasing (Though I'm with you -- It creates distrust between Game Freak and fans).

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I don't mind because I understand why adding large amounts of Pokemon each generation isn't a good thing in the long run. Eventually, species would no longer be unique and the Pokedex would take too much effort to complete (728~ already feels ridiculous!).

I'd rather that they focus on making older Pokemon more competitive compared to others. They started doing that in Gen 6 by buffing several species BSTs and introducing megas.

As for what new Pokemon I would introduce....probably a Fairy/Flying-type Peacock Pokemon. I hear Peacocks are a nuisance in France so it would make sense to add one in Kalos. (:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016

In some ways it's not a bad thing, because you're extending the franchise further and introducing new things. But! I don't think this is going to happen, Game Freak have proven before that if anything is going to be added it's just formes of Pokemon rather than Pokemon themselves (Volcanion and Hoopa come to mind). Mega Evolutions are nice and to be honest adding additional Mega Evo's per generation isn't as bad as adding additional Pokemon as it's more of a mechanic - but your point of it not compatible with previous games is a little annoying.

Back