• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelly

pineapple lumps
Years
  • How much inspiration for your story do you get from your day-to-day lives?

Where I live, there's a lot of nature. I like to draw inspiration from nature. And I get lots of ideas from talking to my friends, even if they don't realise it. They talk a lot, just like me, and sometimes I have to stop, pull out a notebook, and write down something they said. It makes them look at me funny. >_>

liveitout

What? Where?
    Years
  • What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)

My desire to describe absolutely everything, to the extent that the plot is overshadowed (plot? what plot?)

How much inspiration for your story do you get from your day-to-day lives?

I never write about anything that I haven't experienced/heard about from a friend. That keeps the story as close to being realistic as possible.

My two cents for Kanto Lover:
    Spoiler:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • liveitout said:
    My desire to describe absolutely everything, to the extent that the plot is overshadowed (plot? what plot?)
    I can empathise. :P I went through a stage like that. XD;

By the way, I haven't seen you around these parts before. Welcome. ^_^

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)

Hummm hard to say, perhaps leaving out plot or something important.

Well aside from mediums, not my own personal life.

Okay and because we all have the time here we go for some more:

Have you ever written something (not in script form) that you would have intended as a movie or a show, as opposed to a fic or other writing (made for TV thing)?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)

Hmm... interesting question... might be my typos - seriously, I make WAY too many of those. Making events be clear to the readers is another problem I tend to have - I'm trying harder to make sure everything can be understtod by the writer. That and being lazy and too busy half the time

A fair bit, actually... there have been various times where I have taken some random event from a day and happened to have been able to adapt it to my stories, one way or another. Some basically go in rather simply requiring little change, and others are basically nothing like the original event - it merely led to a tangent of thought.

EDIT: Have you ever written something (not in script form) that you would have intended as a movie or a show, as opposed to a fic or other writing (made for TV thing)?

No, not really... maybe stuff that could be made into a movie or show (if the writing was good enough and all XD), but nothing that I intended to fit that specifically.

Of course, if you hadn't included the words 'not in script form', then I'd say yes, I have done something that was designed to be for a movie. Did it for fun way back when. (Also led to my username, woot).

Oh, and welcome, ye newcomers, to the madness that is this thread. =D

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Sorry gaiz, I just have to answer this again. My biggest weakness is the twin evil of procrastination and disinterest. When I procrastinate, I lose interest in writing the fic. As a result, I procrastinate even more, until it dies entirely. This has been the fate of every chaptered fic I have ever attempted. My new fic, Shattered, will debut on this forum tomorrow. I state here and now that if I do not update every single Monday, you all are invited - no, urged - to hunt me down and beat the crap out of me until I write another chapter. If you don't want to go that far, just VM me. I need lots of motivation, I'm afraid. ^_^_^

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Have you ever written something (not in script form) that you would have intended as a movie or a show, as opposed to a fic or other writing (made for TV thing)?
    No. :P My only medium is a narrative. ^_^;

Sparkling Dragon, we'll come equipped with torches and pitchforks. :D

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Procrastination is a vicious beast, as any writer (or any person who does anything over a period of more than a week) knows, and one whip is hardly enough. ;) We need an angry mob.

In any case, I can see what you mean about the vicious cycle of procrastination and not caring. I've never done anything long enough for that to happen to me, but I can imagine. o_<;

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Mob is good, yub yub.

Anyway, beware of procrastination. I don't want HWIMAR to go the same way as my Faith . . . or Edge of Destiny . . . or Beta 24 . . . or Swiss Cheese . . .

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I don't want HWIMAR to go the same way as my Faith . . . or Edge of Destiny . . . or Beta 24 . . . or Swiss Cheese . . .
    I totally started to read that as the acronym for "How I Met Your Mother". I've never even seen that show, but I guess that is the power of Neil Patrick Harris. He's able to infiltrate that well.

Have you ever written something (not in script form) that you would have intended as a movie or a show, as opposed to a fic or other writing (made for TV thing)?
    I can't say that I have. All of my writings have been intended to remain as the written word. There are times when I can actually visually see the scene in my mind, played out as if it is a movie/television show, but I figure that that is just my imagination at work.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I totally started to read that as the acronym for "How I Met Your Mother". I've never even seen that show, but I guess that is the power of Neil Patrick Harris. He's able to infiltrate that well.

Oh, good. I'm not the only one who was distracted by his sexiness.

I miss Doogie Howser, guys.

I'd also answer the questions with my usual length, but I'm lazy. Instead, the answers are "no" and "no, despite what AEM's roots are."

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Oh, good. I'm not the only one who was distracted by his sexiness.
    Fanfiction Lounge

Also, Doogie Howser was one-half of my 80's/early 90's childhood.

And yes, Sparkling Dragon. My eyes tend to cross when I've been on the computer all day, so I am tired. But I couldn't go outside and enjoy the nice weather because my neighbors across the street, behind us, and two houses down decided to set off illegal fireworks.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I hate that. We have idiots in our neighbourhood who save up a stash each year and set them off every night for three weeks before Guy Fawkes, when you're only allowed to buy fireworks in the week leading up to it.

Bay

Years
  • Just recently I almost got killed by the idiots at my neighborhood that set off the fireworks. x_x

No, not really. My writings are meant to be in novel form. However, I have written scripts before and those are meant as movies. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Sparkling Dragon said:
    I hate that. We have idiots in our neighbourhood who save up a stash each year and set them off every night for three weeks before Guy Fawkes, when you're only allowed to buy fireworks in the week leading up to it.
    Funny how restrictions create an allure so strong that they end up having the opposite effect intended, isn't it?

But back to talking about fanfics, I'll often see my fic in my mind's eye. Even though its only true place is in written form, I will see the events as they occur in my head. ^_^;

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I talk to my characters. They live in my head, and when I'm stuck, I ask them what they're going to do. It helps, especially if they're characters I know well. One of them is Cassie, the daughter of a nobleman in one of my dead fics. She only ever made two appearances, but I got so attached to her that she sits in my head to this day. My Platinum file is named after her-

Hey, Cassie! Put that accordion down!

'Scuse me.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Not a technique I've tried personally, I must say. XD;

When I'm stuck, I take a run or a bicycle ride, and just envision my characters in all kinds of crazy situations. Then, I adapt these crazy situations to the plot, make them more realistic, and I have a plot twist/device. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back