• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
  • It's a similar situation with the fics themselves. The issue is arrogance. People take 5 minutes to whip up a piece of crap, and then expect us to give them serious reviews. Then when we tell them how shitty it is, they moan about us flaming them. Words cannot express my contempt for these people.

EDIT: Whoa, double ninja'd.

Bay

Years
  • Jax, I too thought about doing an ideas thread because of those threads going around, but after talking with Astinus, she told me that's not going to happen the same reason she told you before. In any case though, I too get a bit annoyed now the only threads we got here are those threads with the vague ideas. Unlike here, in Serebii there would be lots of threads that cover all kinds of topics like starter Pokemon, Points of View, Items, Regions, etc. I guess part of it though is because in this lounge we discuss all kinds of writing advice, including any ideas and scenes that we need help on, so there's not too much of a need for a separate thread over Pokeballs, for instance. As to why there are those "I have an idea!" thread, I guess part of it is it's easier for the author to find out if anyone thinks their idea is good or not. Of course, the bad thing is because there's so many of those threads, we just don't feel like looking through all of them (and maybe say the same thing- "this idea is too vague." ).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • in Serebii there would be lots of threads that cover all kinds of topics like starter Pokemon, Points of View, Items, Regions, etc.

If anyone's wondering, this is exactly what I was hoping would happen if we could funnel idea threads elsewhere. It's one of the few things I like more about Serebii's writing community compared to PC's, really. (PC has a better atmosphere, better reviewers, and generally cooler things to do, but for whatever reason, more people ask a wider variety of questions over at Serebii.)

I guess part of it though is because in this lounge we discuss all kinds of writing advice, including any ideas and scenes that we need help on, so there's not too much of a need for a separate thread over Pokeballs, for instance.

The awkward thing is that we've got so many things going on at once. For example, Kanto Lover was looking for advice about her snippet, but she was only addressed by two people, while the rest of us focused on a bunch of other topics (namely the bold ones). Maybe she was looking for only two opinions, but on the other hand, maybe it's okay to encourage people to branch off of the FFL and form other threads. Given the number of responses people make to the idea threads, I think we'll see it, even if it's one of those "I have a snippet" bits, and at least there, we'll have more room to form a conversation with the OP and help her through things like that.

The FFL's awesome, of course, and totally where people should go to have a discussion, but for some things, like opinions on canon and whatnot, it's probably better to ask in a separate thread. Yet, even then, people come back here, probably because they think they'll definitely get an answer.

If the master idea thread concept doesn't pan out after a few more responses to this conversation, though, what do people think about a plot bunny exchange, or a place where they can post plot bunnies or abandoned fanfics that other people can pick up and use as inspiration? (As in, for those of us already writing major fics, it'd be a place to put the other ideas we get to get them out of our heads. For those of us with writer's block, it'd be a place to go to find an idea that might work. For those of us with old fics that we're about to abandon but would like to see finished, it'd be a place to post the snippets or finished chapters to see if anyone would like to pick them up and finish them.) I ask this because it's a similar idea, really -- a place to funnel the plot bunnies the original developer doesn't actually want to write, only it's not a place to post advice or praise/crit for said ideas the way my original thought for the bunny farm went. Moreover, it's also technically saying you'd be free to take the ideas in it if you want.

In other words, the next question about the comm is will something like this actually be used? Will you feel comfortable with it, or will you just think it'll be abused/neglected for more idea threads?

Edit: Lulz, guys. I just went on Serebii again for the first time in I can't remember, only to find out they have an idea a little like this. Only I was thinking, at the time, of something more like this. Maybe I should go over to SPPf for awhile (although I must admit I don't like a number of people over there as much... or, for the most part, at all due to past drama with them that I'd rather not mention).

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I was hanging around Serebii while PC was down. It's too biiiiiig. *hides in corner*

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. I mean, I had to use CTRL+F to find the blinking fanfiction forums. =| (I'm really hoping that statement didn't just make me a sad person.)

And, of course, the people. Just... yeah.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I think that's one of the problems with the FFL. The topics move way too fast in this thread for anyone to actually keep up with them, and to respond to those that need responses. Like Kanto Lover's problem. I noticed it and responded to it the best I could because the Lounge was slow, and I had the time. But when I don't have the time to respond/read through everything that's posted in the FFL, it gets to be overwhelming. (Seriously people, I leave for a few days and come back to 15+ [guesstimate] pages. My eyes crossed trying to read it all.)

To me, the actual FFL is like a relaxed actual lounge. The writers get together to drink alcohol and strawberry daiquiris for the mod! refreshing drinks, sit back, and find out a little bit more about their fellow writers to learn that they aren't the only crazy one. It's for the small discussions.

For the big ones, I feel that they should go into their own threads. For example, what someone feels about changing some ideas from canon, and how far is too far when it comes to that. It's its own discussion that can spark so many different threads and ideas and so on, that it would be a shame for it to be lost in the other random topics of the FFL.

So are we looking to start a revolution here in PFF&P?

Also, I like the idea of a plot bunny exchange. Because sometimes, I feel like writing a fanfic, but can't come up with an idea.

I'm just going to say that SPPf was my very first forum. D'aw. Look at my little n00by self.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • That sounds like a good idea - that is, having discussion topics outside the Lounge. ^^ That way, they won't die out so easily.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Agreed. Bigger discussions should have either A: a thread of their own or B: a seperate thread for each one. Personally, I think making a new thread for all of those discussions would be a better idea, because if there were all sorts of new threads every time someone comes up with that idea the boards would be nearly flooded. See what I mean?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm logged in now.

I haven't signed in since May of this year. I haven't actually been active since this month last year. Modding over here took a lot of my time, and also there was a few months where I had no interest at all in the fandom.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I just didn't like the atmosphere at Serebii. Not just the members, but... everything. It was all so big and, when I first saw it, very very scary (not to mention the skins aren't the greatest...). Thank goodness my first Pokémon forum was PE2K. I don't think I ever was not interested in Pokémon, but there have been times where I just didn't feel like doing anything on the computer. Like, nothing.

So I guess hiatuses just came out of that.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • From what I've heard of Serebii, the atmosphere isn't nice, and its leader has a habit of thinking he's always right. :S Luckily, I came here before I'd heard of it. :P

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • From what I've heard of Serebii, the atmosphere isn't nice,

Well, sort of. When I was last there, I had two problems:

1. Outside of the fanfiction forums, attempting to ask anyone anything (like about the games or the canon) got me a dead end because there were, at the time, a lot of morons there. I mean, seriously, dumb and ornery. I asked a question about the geography of the Pokémon world, and if I recall correctly, I got a mini-argument. Or just stupid comments. Either way, it ended with me going, "Well, that was a waste of my time."

2. Certain reviewers over there didn't (and, from what I hear from friends who are still there, still don't) take the "we exist to help the author through feedback" philosophy like they usually do over here. Instead, it's the "we review to worship the kids writing tl;dr-worthy chapters and make everyone else feel like crap" kind. Also stemming from fairly personal experience. One of my comedies got blown off by a reviewer who gave me a vague review along the lines of "the plot doesn't work," and when I asked said reviewer (nicely, mind you) what it was about it that didn't work, said reviewer told me the reviewer's job wasn't to skyrocket me to stardom. Um... 'kay.

Long story short, outside of the fanfiction forums weren't exactly worth it back when I hung around there for a little while, and in the fanfiction forums, it tended to be a hit-and-miss kind of thing. Some people swear by the crowds there and think it's one of the best writing comms you can go to (and I do admit that it has some shiny things), but you've got to be wary of both your average crap reviewer (the kind who only issue one-liners and general, vague shorties) and the ones who bite.

and its leader has a habit of thinking he's always right. :S

This is true. He's notorious for going onto other forums and such to either advertise his own site or argue against people who question it. You can find him on PC, in fact. Look him up at some point to find some lol-worthy arguments.

Also, d'aww. That's a cute little Asty.

Also also, woot. Will finish up that plot bunny exchange idea soon, then. Expect it sometime this week.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Aw, I had dug through the members list to find Val's SPPf account, and she took away the paragraph that would allow me to post it.

So no Val's SPPf account for you.

I did have a rant against SPPf halfway typed, and almost ready to post, but I remembered that a mod over there is here, so I decided against it to not create some sort of issue.

I do have the feeling that Serebii Joe will search PC to see what people say about his forum, and he'll come to the FFL to defend his forum. I'm sure we can handle that.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Thanks for the info, Valentine. ^_^

To cut down on the stickies in the Lounge, you could compile all the "guide" threads into one. I've seen them do that across other forums.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Aw, I had dug through the members list to find Val's SPPf account, and she took away the paragraph that would allow me to post it.

XD You could if you want. I'm a little curious about my old posts myself, but unfortunately, Serebii decided not to make the search feature public. (When did that happen, and who thought that was a good idea? =|)

I do have the feeling that Serebii Joe will search PC to see what people say about his forum, and he'll come to the FFL to defend his forum. I'm sure we can handle that.

If he comes on this thread and posts, I will pay all of you handsomely to go grammar nazi on him like you usually do.

Yami Ryu much?

Spoiler:

Thanks for the info, Valentine. ^_^

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant. Which will probably come back to bite me on the ass, but hey, that's how the internet works nowadays. Kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Drama.

To cut down on the stickies in the Lounge, you could compile all the "guide" threads into one.

This might actually be a good idea, considering certain threads like Lily's and oni flygon's are pretty much the same, with only a few variations. Maybe if we made an updated version that combines them without going through the mess of merging threads and whatnot?

And I still don't get why the example of a good fanfic is there. I mean, sure, it's intended to be a guide on how to be a good author, but it just kinda looks more like a review to me. *shrug*

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back