• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shift or set?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Mainly shift, unless if I'm training a Pokémon's level at Pokémon League or Pokémon Chateau. :)

Years
  • I always play on shift because you should always be prepared. Set is there mainly for those who want more of a challenge and I'm not that kind of person.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Bet ya'll who are saying you're too lazy to change have no issues changing the text speed to fast. :p

I always play on shift because you should always be prepared.
    "You should always be prepared...to cheat" (Nah just find that "be prepared" is a weird way to say it lol)

Spoiler:

I think the point of set isn't making things challenging, it's to not make things braindead easy.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Let alone bet shift instead of switch. Set just lock yourself making it less fun to do so

Years
  • Huh, I've never actually tried Set but it does sound more natural as why would your opponents give you a heads-up?! I think I'll try it out! The only thing I ever change in Options is the text speed!

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I've always played on shift. For years I didn't understand what the shift/set option was, so I didn't bother with it. These days it's more of a habit to play on shift, and it feels awkward without it.

Years
  • Pretty much the only times I use Shift anymore are normal playthroughs (particularly when i'm playing a game for the first time) and Wedlockes (where I can only use two Pokémon in a battle unless they both die). All other types of adventures I do nowadays I play on Set. It makes the battle more interesting when you have to take a hit to switch in what would generally be a good answer to the next opponent.

Berserkers

Kaboom.
    Years
  • I just use the default setting, which is shift. I'm way too lazy to change my options and I've been playing this way for as long as I can remember. If I ever wanted to slightly increase the difficulty of my playthough, I'd probably switch to set.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    Whenever I play Pokemon games these day I like to "role play" so I always play it on set. Plus playing on shift just makes the games far too easy. (They're already easy enough). When doing my little role play playthroughs I also don't use potions or revives in battle. Just makes it a bit more realistic for lack of a better word!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Set just lock yourself making it less fun to do so
    That's why I find it fun. You get a choice of sticking through your current Pokemon or risking it and switching to a Pokemon that's better for the matchup. There's an actual element of decision making, and I hardly see why that's less fun.

Being able to switch freely between Pokemon just make it...well, it's practically brain dead. If you like that, more power to you, but I like putting at least a little thought into it.

One of the things about Set as well is that you're forced to share the EXP if you switch. That's ANOTHER risk, and it's actually the big one to consider. There's a form of team management there.

Years
  • Wow, I just played through a game using Set and I'm a total convert! Felt so much more fluid and realistic, not to mention a lot faster and fewer button clicks! Will always use this from now on!

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I use shift. I know it's the easy option but it's just what I've always used and it makes some of the more mundane trainer battles go a bit faster I guess haha. In tougher battles (eg Gym Leaders, bosses) I tend to self-impose a 'no free switch-ins' rule to make things less easy though.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Obviously set, honestly shift makes the game too easy for me. I swear I can even beat Cynthia with Shift lol

Back